University of Oregon Law

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
usuaggie

Re: University of Oregon Law

Postby usuaggie » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:57 pm

kswiss wrote:Has anybody negotiated scholarships with UO? I got close to full ride at Willamette, though I would much rather go to UO. The difference in price over three years will be significant, but I'm still thinking UO would be more worth it.

Also, does anyone know about grants at UO? My FAFSA EFC is $73/year (I'm poor). I wonder if that will factor in at all.

mine is 0, and for undergrad I got around 5000 in grants. I don't know if law school gives comparable amounts, but i'm hoping it is close. 73 is the same as 0 so im sure you will get the max possible.

yo!

Postby yo! » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:32 pm

Son of a bitch! How can it be that low? I didn't even put parental info and mine is like 60 grand. I guess my wife and I shouldn't have worked for the last year : (

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:53 pm

yo! wrote:Son of a bitch! How can it be that low? I didn't even put parental info and mine is like 60 grand. I guess my wife and I shouldn't have worked for the last year : (

Two kids, and my wife and I made 40k combined.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:57 pm

yo! wrote:Son of a bitch! How can it be that low? I didn't even put parental info and mine is like 60 grand. I guess my wife and I shouldn't have worked for the last year : (

divorced parents, 50k salary combined, 3 dependents. trust me, i wish it wasn't 0. it would be a lot easier to not have so much debt from loans already.

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:48 pm

usuaggie wrote:

divorced parents, 50k salary combined, 3 dependents. trust me, i wish it wasn't 0. it would be a lot easier to not have so much debt from loans already.

Didn't think parents came into play when you're not a dependent? (or are you?)

Either way, this proves how much having dependents weighs on the FAFSA... cause I am literally living at the poverty level and my parents are not a factor in my life (I'm a non-trad anyway) and my EFC was in the 3000s.

cLams

Postby cLams » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:11 pm

DonnyMost wrote:
usuaggie wrote:

Either way, this proves how much having dependents weighs on the FAFSA... cause I am literally living at the poverty level and my parents are not a factor in my life (I'm a non-trad anyway) and my EFC was in the 3000s.

+1. I'm in Americorps (aka doesn't make a dime) with no family support and my EFC is still 3000+

yo!

Postby yo! » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:45 am

ugh! I checked my FAFSA again and noticed that I accidently added an extra zero in one of the investment categories. I resubmitted, and now my EFC is only 21 grand. Hopefully it isn't too late!

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:23 am

yo! wrote:ugh! I checked my FAFSA again and noticed that I accidently added an extra zero in one of the investment categories. I resubmitted, and now my EFC is only 21 grand. Hopefully it isn't too late!

Its totally not too late. It just has to be done sometime in the school year. I did one once for UG in february, deep into the school year.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:32 pm

DonnyMost wrote:
usuaggie wrote:

oh yeah, I did it as independent. I live on my student loans and grants though, no job no income

amorfati42

Postby amorfati42 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:30 pm

Oregon is the last school I really want to hear from which is making the waiting so much more brutal.

nickc8

Postby nickc8 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:42 pm

amorfati42 wrote:Oregon is the last school I really want to hear from which is making the waiting so much more brutal.

+1

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:53 pm

fwiw i called on friday and they told me they sent my decision letter on "wednesday or thursday" so i get the sense a batch is in the mail and making its way to us

nickc8

Postby nickc8 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:55 pm

IAFG wrote:fwiw i called on friday and they told me they sent my decision letter on "wednesday or thursday" so i get the sense a batch is in the mail and making its way to us

When did you apply/go complete?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:58 pm

nickc8 wrote:
IAFG wrote:fwiw i called on friday and they told me they sent my decision letter on "wednesday or thursday" so i get the sense a batch is in the mail and making its way to us

i applied in November, 12/30 complete

akili

Postby akili » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:48 pm

Is anyone else going to the April 10th Preview thing?

hans3n

Postby hans3n » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:25 pm

akili wrote:Is anyone else going to the April 10th Preview thing?

I'm going, and looking forward to it.

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:57 pm

I'm going also. Hopefully I get the rest of my decisions by then so I can make a choice. I was held at L&C, but even if I get in I probably won't get a scholarship at this point, so I don't know if the difference in tuition is worth it. (probably not).

Also, a question for any Oregonians: How hard is it to get in-state? I'm married and my wife will be working (she's a psychotherapist), and we might buy a house. If she can prove resident status, do I just have to prove that she's a resident to get residential status? I know I have to wait 12 months regardless.

Info?

Sunflower

Postby Sunflower » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:11 am

kswiss wrote:I'm going also. Hopefully I get the rest of my decisions by then so I can make a choice. I was held at L&C, but even if I get in I probably won't get a scholarship at this point, so I don't know if the difference in tuition is worth it. (probably not).

Also, a question for any Oregonians: How hard is it to get in-state? I'm married and my wife will be working (she's a psychotherapist), and we might buy a house. If she can prove resident status, do I just have to prove that she's a resident to get residential status? I know I have to wait 12 months regardless.

Info?

Try looking at this link and check under residency.

http://lawadmissions.uoregon.edu/tuition/

It seems kind of hard to get residency in Oregon but the tutition is kept at a reasonable level. I am wondering how much tutition will be next year. I am guessing no higher than 30k (for non res) if the school keeps the same pattern.

cLams

Postby cLams » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:03 pm

IAFG wrote:
nickc8 wrote:

i applied in November, 12/30 complete

Have you received your letter yet?

yo!

Postby yo! » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:15 pm

I guess I'm in, just got an email saying that they were preparing my aid packet. They wanted me to clarify the correction on my FAFSA.

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:40 pm

Hopefully they send my aid packet soon. I need some more info before I make a final decision (and I need to hear from all of my reaches). I have scholarship, but I need to know what they are going to set the COA at and whether or not I'll get some grant $$.

yo!

Postby yo! » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:48 pm

I can't believe you didn't target the T14 with your LSAT.

KIM_SAYS:

Postby KIM_SAYS: » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:52 pm

Apparently I'm in. :shock: Got an e-mail saying "Congratulations again on your acceptance!"

cLams

Postby cLams » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:55 pm

KIM_SAYS: wrote:Apparently I'm in. :shock: Got an e-mail saying "Congratulations again on your acceptance!"

Congratulations!!! That is too funny if that's how you just found out!

Sunflower

Postby Sunflower » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:09 pm

KIM_SAYS: wrote:Apparently I'm in. :shock: Got an e-mail saying "Congratulations again on your acceptance!"

Got that email as well and I have been accepted for a few weeks now. You should check your mailbox.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”