University of Oregon Law

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hans3n

Re: University of Oregon Law

Postby hans3n » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:27 pm

In at UO TODAY. Soooo stoked. I'll probably end up there, unless for some reason my campus visit goes horribly wrong somehow, like I get struck by lightning, or someone dies during the middle of my tour.

Do scholarship offers/info come with the admissions packet, or separately? If it comes with the admissions packet, I didnt get any money. Bummer.
Last edited by hans3n on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:16 pm

hans3n wrote:In at UO TODAY. Bomb diggity. Definitely stoked. Probably end up there, unless for some reason my campus visit goes horribly wrong somehow, like I get struck by lightning, or someone dies during the middle of my tour.

Do scholarship offers/info come with the admissions packet, or separately? If it comes with the admissions packet, I didnt get any money. Bummer.

congrats! I hope I get mine soon too.

Fecta23

Postby Fecta23 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:35 pm

hans3n wrote:In at UO TODAY. Bomb diggity. Definitely stoked. Probably end up there, unless for some reason my campus visit goes horribly wrong somehow, like I get struck by lightning, or someone dies during the middle of my tour.

They come with the packet.

hans3n

Postby hans3n » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:53 pm

usuaggie wrote:

congrats! I hope I get mine soon too.

Im sure you will, your LSAT is better than mine, and you wrote a Why Oregon like I did.

hans3n

Postby hans3n » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:02 am

Im trying to decide if I should visit before admitted students day, in mid to late March, and then also go to ASD April 10th. I want to visit the school before the last week of March to make sure I want to go here(which im 95% sure of). I have a scholarship offer at another school, and a decision is due April 1st for the school offering me money. Anyone have any advice? I doubt I will find anything horribly wrong with UO law school, or the campus, surrounding area, etc, but just want to actually visit before making a decision.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:02 am

hans3n wrote:Im trying to decide if I should visit before admitted students day, in mid to late March, and then also go to ASD April 10th. I want to visit the school before the last week of March to make sure I want to go here(which im 95% sure of). I have a scholarship offer at another school, and a decision is due April 1st for the school offering me money. Anyone have any advice? I doubt I will find anything horribly wrong with UO law school, or the campus, surrounding area, etc, but just want to actually visit before making a decision.

knowing what scholarship you are talking about, I'd say just go to UO. Everybody says the campus is great. I just talked to a former UO grad who is practicing in Vegas and he loved the school. Said it is a community, not just a building of students. Not saying the other school isn't like that, but UO is cheaper than that other school (even with the scholarship, it will be cheaper when you factor in living costs). Oregon has the name to carry it further, I think. I think I will be seeing you at Oregon if I get admitted.

As for your visit, if you can afford it, do both. If not, have faith in everybody saying eugene is so great. I haven't read one negative review of the town or atmosphere.

KraftEZ

Postby KraftEZ » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:32 am

I went to the U of O for 4 years as an under-grad. Got into many different schools but I chose Oregon and to this day never regretted it.

First of all, if you are as big a college football fan you will love Oregon.

The campus in sheer size is enormous. The buildings are a combination of new and stunning to old-fashioned and historical. The campus is beautifully green with nature.

Oregon is also building a state of the art brand new basketball arena to rival even NBA stadiums thanks to Nike. BTW, Nike is headquartered in Oregon. Nike's founder and chairman, Phil Knight, is an Oregon alumni and of all the universities in the U.S. Nike is quite partial to Oregon and has donated more money to Oregon than any other school. That is why the school's athletic facilities, business facilities, and law facilities are the best facilities of any department on campus. For that reason Oregon's largest and most comprehensive library, which is located on campus, is called Knight Library. That is also why the new basketball stadium is named after Phil Knight's son. That is also why U of O's law building, which is also recently built and state of the art, called Knight Law building.

But Nike is hardly "privitizing" Oregon-- it's Phil Knight's personal will. Oregon is very well supported, especially the law department which is one of Oregon's top 3 funded departments. It's a great school to consider.

hans3n

Postby hans3n » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:29 am

usuaggie wrote:
hans3n wrote:Im trying to decide if I should visit before admitted students day, in mid to late March, and then also go to ASD April 10th. I want to visit the school before the last week of March to make sure I want to go here(which im 95% sure of). I have a scholarship offer at another school, and a decision is due April 1st for the school offering me money. Anyone have any advice? I doubt I will find anything horribly wrong with UO law school, or the campus, surrounding area, etc, but just want to actually visit before making a decision.

knowing what scholarship you are talking about, I'd say just go to UO. Everybody says the campus is great. I just talked to a former UO grad who is practicing in Vegas and he loved the school. Said it is a community, not just a building of students. Not saying the other school isn't like that, but UO is cheaper than that other school (even with the scholarship, it will be cheaper when you factor in living costs). Oregon has the name to carry it further, I think. I think I will be seeing you at Oregon if I get admitted.

As for your visit, if you can afford it, do both. If not, have faith in everybody saying eugene is so great. I haven't read one negative review of the town or atmosphere.

Yea I think I'm going to withdraw from that schoalrship school as soon as I hear from my last school, because my last school to hear from has a deadline that is 2 weeks after my scholarship one, which makes it easier on me to make a decision. I view the one I got money from, and the one I have left to hear from, the same. Dont know if that makes sense to anyone. Good to know that if you get in that I'll be seeing you there. If you get in, what are planning on doing in terms of visiting? Are you just going to visit once, during admitted students day? I think if I swop out the aforementioned schools, I might just end up visiting UO once, during ASD.

KraftEZ wrote:I went to the U of O for 4 years as an under-grad. Got into many different schools but I chose Oregon and to this day never regretted it.

The campus in sheer size is enormous. The buildings are a combination of new and stunning to old-fashioned and historical. The campus is beautifully green with nature.

I'm currently at an undergrad with over 30,000 students, so I am used to the big sized school. Not sure how I like it though since I commute to school. I'm sure I will notice it more at UO since I will be living much closer.

But Nike is hardly "privitizing" Oregon-- it's Phil Knight's personal will. Oregon is very well supported, especially the law department which is one of Oregon's top 3 funded departments.

Where did you get that information? I would like to check that out. If true, thats awesome. Can you throw me a link showing that fact? I wonder where they would have that info available.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:39 am

hans3n wrote:
usuaggie wrote:

Yea I think I'm going to withdraw from that schoalrship school as soon as I hear from my last school, because my last school to hear from has a deadline that is 2 weeks after my scholarship one, which makes it easier on me to make a decision. I view the one I got money from, and the one I have left to hear from, the same. Dont know if that makes sense to anyone. Good to know that if you get in that I'll be seeing you there. If you get in, what are planning on doing in terms of visiting? Are you just going to visit once, during admitted students day? I think if I swop out the aforementioned schools, I might just end up visiting UO once, during ASD.

KraftEZ wrote:I went to the U of O for 4 years as an under-grad. Got into many different schools but I chose Oregon and to this day never regretted it.

I'm currently at an undergrad with over 30,000 students, so I am used to the big sized school. Not sure how I like it though since I commute to school. I'm sure I will notice it more at UO since I will be living much closer.

But Nike is hardly "privitizing" Oregon-- it's Phil Knight's personal will. Oregon is very well supported, especially the law department which is one of Oregon's top 3 funded departments.

Where did you get that information? I would like to check that out. If true, thats awesome. Can you throw me a link showing that fact? I wonder where they would have that info available.

I'm thinking about hitting up the campus unofficially after the WAC basketball tournament during my spring break. Not sure though. If I don't, I'll probably fly in for admitted students day (assuming i ever hear back from them).

akili

Postby akili » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:55 am

How long did it take yall to hear from Oregon after going complete?

KraftEZ

Postby KraftEZ » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:05 pm

I'm not sure where I can post a link to prove it.

It's just common knowledge that the business school, law program, and the athletic program are the three largest funded programs in Oregon. You will hear it from many different people as I have over the years if you come to Oregon, and even if you don't, once you spend time here you'll quickly realize this on your own.

SamSeaborn2016

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:02 am

I'm another UO alum and I wouldn't go so far as to say the campus is enormous. You can walk from one end to the other in about 10 minutes if you need to. I suppose it is all relative. I used to work for University of Florida and I have to say that is the largest campus I have ever friggin seen.

I am going to be spending a lot of time trying to figure out whether or not to go to UO or Lewis and Clark. L&C is in Portland (where I am) and has the benefits of being in the city but I get in-state tuition to UO and have a soft spot in my heart for the school. I'll be attending both admitted student days.

KraftEZ

Postby KraftEZ » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:11 am

I suppose for me having only visited private schools Oregon is larger than most.

I'm going to L&C for the admitted students orientation on march 19th but not sure about oregon.

BruinsFan

Postby BruinsFan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:47 pm

When is U of O's admitted students day? I'm not an admitted student, but definitely hoping that I will be and the trip up there will definitely be last minute. It sounds like most of the people with decisions so far applied in Oct/early Nov, maybe I'm wrong.

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:38 pm

When you call the Oregon admissions office and they put you on hold, the hold music isn't Kenny G, but rather a loud, persistent screeching sound.

I'm not complaining though, it's still better than Kenny G.

No way to check my status online, but from what I gather in this thread, UO has one of the slower review cycles. No?

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:05 pm

DonnyMost wrote:When you call the Oregon admissions office and they put you on hold, the hold music isn't Kenny G, but rather a loud, persistent screeching sound.

No way to check my status online, but from what I gather in this thread, UO has one of the slower review cycles. No?

they are giving me an ulcer from taking so long

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:09 pm

usuaggie wrote:
DonnyMost wrote:When you call the Oregon admissions office and they put you on hold, the hold music isn't Kenny G, but rather a loud, persistent screeching sound.

I was prepared for the lonnnng wait, but UO is looking like my "#1" at this point, so I'd like to know sooner rather than later...

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:13 pm

DonnyMost wrote:
usuaggie wrote:

I was prepared for the lonnnng wait, but UO is looking like my "#1" at this point, so I'd like to know sooner rather than later...

same for me. I'm at the medians for both numbers, so I feel OK but not secure.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:18 pm

still NOTHING. ugh. it is killing me

nickc8

Postby nickc8 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:23 pm

usuaggie wrote:still NOTHING. ugh. it is killing me

When did you apply? I'm sure you will be in the next wave or two. I don't think you have anything to worry about. I'm regretting applying later in the cycle to Oregon. I'm 97% sure I'll attend if admitted.

nickc8

Postby nickc8 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:30 pm

Has anyone filled out the housing application yet? I sent mine in a week ago. I'm hoping to get into the family housing although I was told it could be a 12 month waiting list. We have a dog, so options were limited to the houses only.

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:35 pm

nickc8 wrote:Has anyone filled out the housing application yet? I sent mine in a week ago. I'm hoping to get into the family housing although I was told it could be a 12 month waiting list. We have a dog, so options were limited to the houses only.

Where could I find this good sir?

nickc8

Postby nickc8 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:38 pm

DonnyMost wrote:
nickc8 wrote:Has anyone filled out the housing application yet? I sent mine in a week ago. I'm hoping to get into the family housing although I was told it could be a 12 month waiting list. We have a dog, so options were limited to the houses only.

Where could I find this good sir?

Here are the links:

--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

stellabean

Postby stellabean » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:35 am

Hi! I am new a new member to this...but I am curious if anyone has not heard a decision yet from OU? I am still waiting...I got a 154 on my LSAT (I know it is kinda low) and my GPA was 3.55 but I think that I had great LOR's. Does anyone know what my chances are? I am so nervous...I knew it would be tough and because I have not heard I know that it is doubtful but I just wanted to hear from some others! Thanks!

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:44 am

stellabean wrote:Hi! I am new a new member to this...but I am curious if anyone has not heard a decision yet from OU? I am still waiting...I got a 154 on my LSAT (I know it is kinda low) and my GPA was 3.55 but I think that I had great LOR's. Does anyone know what my chances are? I am so nervous...I knew it would be tough and because I have not heard I know that it is doubtful but I just wanted to hear from some others! Thanks!

If you don't get in, it will be your lsat. I'd say you have a 35-45% chance just because your GPA is pretty solid. That said, don't feel bad about the lsat being lower than their average. You can't change it, so just find the school that is best for you. If you really really want to go to Oregon, write an LSAT addendum and a why Oregon essay. I went complete before thanksgiving and I havent heard from them either. 159/3.32, both medians.

check out http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com to compare your chances or use lawschoolpredictor.com

http://oregon.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0809/

looks like nobody on lsn got in with less than a 156, except one URM. Don't worry too much, just do whatever is in your control.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”