University of Oregon Law

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
bizjunkie4
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: University of Oregon Law

Postby bizjunkie4 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:01 pm

TheRyanocerous wrote:
ShelleyVA wrote:Is Oregon the first choice for anyone else?


Oregon is my top school if it ends up being significantly cheaper than every ware else... I would like to go other places but if it come down to 150K at Santa Clara or USD or 60K at Oregon then im going to go with U of O every time... I go to Oregon State for my undergrad though so I find the prospect of attending Oregon physically painful in many ways.

Every ware? Seriously?

User avatar
Joe Toboni
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:07 pm

quack quack quack

Postby Joe Toboni » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:14 pm

I received an email invite to ASW, my spidey sense tells me that I must have been admitted.

User avatar
kimber1028
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: quack quack quack

Postby kimber1028 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:23 pm

Joe Toboni wrote:I received an email invite to ASW, my spidey sense tells me that I must have been admitted.


Awesome; congrats! Think you'll end up here?

User avatar
Joe Toboni
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: quack quack quack

Postby Joe Toboni » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:58 pm

kimber1028 wrote:
Joe Toboni wrote:I received an email invite to ASW, my spidey sense tells me that I must have been admitted.


Awesome; congrats! Think you'll end up here?


Too close to call. I applied 13 places and am still waiting on 8.

User avatar
kimber1028
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: quack quack quack

Postby kimber1028 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:46 pm

Joe Toboni wrote:
kimber1028 wrote:
Joe Toboni wrote:I received an email invite to ASW, my spidey sense tells me that I must have been admitted.


Awesome; congrats! Think you'll end up here?


Too close to call. I applied 13 places and am still waiting on 8.


Oh, wow! Good luck with the rest of the decisions!

User avatar
Joe Toboni
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: quack quack quack

Postby Joe Toboni » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:48 pm

kimber1028 wrote:
Joe Toboni wrote:
kimber1028 wrote:
Joe Toboni wrote:I received an email invite to ASW, my spidey sense tells me that I must have been admitted.


Awesome; congrats! Think you'll end up here?


Too close to call. I applied 13 places and am still waiting on 8.


Oh, wow! Good luck with the rest of the decisions!


TY, is that your dog?

User avatar
kimber1028
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: quack quack quack

Postby kimber1028 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:52 pm

Joe Toboni wrote:
kimber1028 wrote:
Joe Toboni wrote:
kimber1028 wrote:Awesome; congrats! Think you'll end up here?


Too close to call. I applied 13 places and am still waiting on 8.


Oh, wow! Good luck with the rest of the decisions!


TY, is that your dog?


No; I wish! :) I was trying to convince my fiance to get a beagle, so I scouted out a bunch of cute pictures. Now I think we're waiting until I'm done with school, though, so our eventual puppy can get the attention he needs.

User avatar
TheRyanocerous
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:20 pm

Re: University of Oregon Law

Postby TheRyanocerous » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:04 pm

Oregon moved up in the rankings-- 77 according to the 2010 USNEWS

User avatar
kimber1028
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: University of Oregon Law

Postby kimber1028 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:58 pm

TheRyanocerous wrote:Oregon moved up in the rankings-- 77 according to the 2010 USNEWS


Yes, yes. We also moved up in the Legal Writing rankings from #10 to #6, which was pretty sweet. I saw that Seattle moved up as well to #77 and eclipsed Mercer as the #1 LW program, which should make you happy. :)

User avatar
ShelleyVA
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:44 pm

Re: University of Oregon Law

Postby ShelleyVA » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:25 pm

I've just been informed that I have to be up at 5:30 the morning after ASD. Looks like I won't be out too late :(

akjones
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:47 pm

Re: University of Oregon Law

Postby akjones » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:58 pm

I hope this isn't obnoxiously out of place but I am trying to decide what to do about Oregon. Right now I think it is where I am going to end up unless I get pulled from DePaul or Loyola-Chicago's waitlists or unless I finally get some positive response from Chicago-Kent. Does anyone know how relevant an Oregon degree is outside of Oregon? I'm not sure where I want to practice yet, but I'm fairly sure that I will be going into the field of Intellectual Property. Any insight into the pros or cons of oregon would be helpful. As I will not be able to visit until June. I have already paid first deposit though and received a little scholarship $

User avatar
kimber1028
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: University of Oregon Law

Postby kimber1028 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:22 am

ShelleyVA wrote:I've just been informed that I have to be up at 5:30 the morning after ASD. Looks like I won't be out too late :(


Oh, sad! :( I honestly can't stay too late either, though--we're driving back to Portland that evening. Villard's only open until 10 anyways, even on Saturdays.

User avatar
kimber1028
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: University of Oregon Law

Postby kimber1028 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:27 am

akjones wrote:I hope this isn't obnoxiously out of place but I am trying to decide what to do about Oregon. Right now I think it is where I am going to end up unless I get pulled from DePaul or Loyola-Chicago's waitlists or unless I finally get some positive response from Chicago-Kent. Does anyone know how relevant an Oregon degree is outside of Oregon? I'm not sure where I want to practice yet, but I'm fairly sure that I will be going into the field of Intellectual Property. Any insight into the pros or cons of oregon would be helpful. As I will not be able to visit until June. I have already paid first deposit though and received a little scholarship $


I want to practice in Oregon and have mostly researched Oregon employment opportunities, but, FWIW, I've heard a UO degree is portable throughout the West and Mountain West. I've specifically heard that it travels well in Colorado, Utah, Montana, Wyoming, and the like. WA and CA are too saturated with their own law schools, so I doubt it would be too competitive in those areas, and IL is probably out of the question, given the strength of the schools there. Do you have family or friends out in Oregon? I would be prepared to stay here, if necessary, upon graduation.

And, no, your question wasn't obnoxiously out of place! :)

akjones
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:47 pm

Re: University of Oregon Law

Postby akjones » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:06 pm

I really appreciate the information, that is very helpful! And no, I don't have any family or friends in Oregon. I actually have never even been to Eugene. I am planning a trip as quickly as possible but it's a little difficult as I'm trying to finish up my UG in the next couple of weeks as well. I am from Montana, so I have basically been forced out of state for decent law school options. Hence Oregon and Illinois.

User avatar
cofcrunner
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:33 pm

Re: University of Oregon Law

Postby cofcrunner » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:04 pm

I went complete pretty late (March 8th) and haven't heard a peep from UO since then. Is this a bad sign or still too early to tell? I've had so many reject/WL recently, that I could really use an acceptance. Especially from such a beautiful school! I'm 157/3.77 if that helps.

PS, no status check, correct?

akjones
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:47 pm

Re: University of Oregon Law

Postby akjones » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:11 pm

No status check that I am aware of. It seems like you would be right in their accepted range tho. I'm only a 3.6 and 160 so don't get disappointed! I received my notification pretty quickly but that was because they were trying to recruit and guaranteed that I would know two weeks after I went complete. I would contact them. It can't hurt and the contact that I have had with them have been friendly and easy to deal with. Good luck!!!

katjust
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:49 am

Re: University of Oregon Law

Postby katjust » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:59 pm

I went complete in late December, never heard anything. 164 3.9 ...seriously. I think they lost my app. or something.

User avatar
ShelleyVA
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:44 pm

Re: University of Oregon Law

Postby ShelleyVA » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:39 pm

Just got back from ASD! I had to leave early, but everyone seems pretty chill so far!

User avatar
kimber1028
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: University of Oregon Law

Postby kimber1028 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:35 pm

ShelleyVA wrote:Just got back from ASD! I had to leave early, but everyone seems pretty chill so far!


It was a lot of fun. There seems to be a great camaraderie among the current students there, too. I felt really comfortable, and not intimidated at all. I can't wait to go in August! Shelley, it was awesome to finally meet you after months of TLS! :D
Last edited by kimber1028 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Joe Toboni
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: University of Oregon Law

Postby Joe Toboni » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:31 pm

katjust wrote:I went complete in late December, never heard anything. 164 3.9 ...seriously. I think they lost my app. or something.


Yes, that might have happened. If you want to go to Oregon then get on the phone at once.

akjones
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:47 pm

Re: University of Oregon Law

Postby akjones » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:18 am

Hey guys, so it's official. I'm going to be joining the 2012 class at the University of Oregon. Sent in my 2nd deposit. I'm from Montana and am completely unfamiliar with the Eugene area I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what area of town is good to look for a house/apartment in (or what areas to avoid). I'm going to be moving there the middle of July so that my SO and I can try to find a place and jobs. If anyone has any input I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

User avatar
kimber1028
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: University of Oregon Law

Postby kimber1028 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:58 am

akjones wrote:Hey guys, so it's official. I'm going to be joining the 2012 class at the University of Oregon. Sent in my 2nd deposit. I'm from Montana and am completely unfamiliar with the Eugene area I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what area of town is good to look for a house/apartment in (or what areas to avoid). I'm going to be moving there the middle of July so that my SO and I can try to find a place and jobs. If anyone has any input I would really appreciate it! Thanks!


Congrats! I'm excited you'll be joining us this fall. Would you prefer to live on-campus or off-campus? Many of the apartments on-campus are already full, but I would check out von Klein Property Management, Jennings & Co. (LinkRemoved), and Bell Real Estate (LinkRemoved) for listings. Any of the campus area apartments would be fine, though the units are typically pretty old, so dishwashers and other conveniences may not be included. The east side of campus will serve you better than the west side, simply because you'll be closer to the law school. Personally, I avoided streets like Ferry, Patterson, Hilyard, and Alder because I didn't want to have to walk a mile to school in the morning when it's raining. High St. is even further out, though Bell has a lot of listings there. Good bets are close-in 18th, 19th, Onyx, Villard, Garden, Harris, and Emerald, which will all be closer to the law school than the streets previously mentioned.

If you're looking for a place off-campus, South Eugene is great, and I'm a big fan of the area around the mall (Goodpasture Loop, Country Club Road). Willakenzie is also a good area, as is Coburg. Each of these places would require you to drive to campus, so plan to come early in the morning to get parking behind the law school. You should also consider buying a parking permit in advance through the school; street parking is incredibly difficult to find. You'll find info at the Department of Public Safety website. You can also purchase a permit through Diamond Parking Services, which provides parking close to campus (though it may not be close enough to the law school; I haven't checked it out much).

As far as areas to avoid... I wouldn't live in Springfield for many reasons, including safety. I also wouldn't live in certain parts of downtown (streets like Blair, Monroe, Madison, Washington, and Van Buren are examples, as are 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th). Pearl and Broadway should be fine if you want to live downtown. I would also avoid W. 11th and the Beltline area, simply because they're very far from campus.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, let me know--I went to UO for 3 years of undergrad, and have family living there now, so I'm extremely familiar with the area. You may also want to check out the UO Class of 2012 forum.

User avatar
wickedzeus
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:25 pm

Re: University of Oregon Law

Postby wickedzeus » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:54 pm

withdrew today, a seat and a 2k scholarship are hopefully up for grabs..

akjones
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:47 pm

Re: University of Oregon Law

Postby akjones » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:34 am

Thank you so much! you're amazingly helpful and I truly appreciate it. But things are complicated today. I just found out that I got into Loyola Chicago with a scholarship that makes it the same cost as UO. There are a lot of benefits to both areas and I have to figure it out quickly!

User avatar
hans3n
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:05 am

Re: University of Oregon Law

Postby hans3n » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:47 pm

Anyone absolutely set on Oregon, such as myself? Lets get the U. Oregon thread going again. Having to wait until February to hear back suuuuuucks.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AZnative, carlos_danger, Christinabruin, JazzyMac, jyzhao3, nahmjun, potatocowpower and 12 guests