University of Oregon Law

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TheRyanocerous

Re: University of Oregon Law

Postby TheRyanocerous » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:30 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I got my acceptance letter from U of O today.

No scholarship offer. At all. WTH? I got money from Indiana, Illinois, Notre Dame, Temple, Miami, everywhere, but no love from U of O?

They'll be getting my withdrawal letter shortly.

U of O is pretty stingy...

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:04 pm

I think their scholarship system is sort of odd. It seems like they offer 2-4k to a huge percentage of there applicants. 2-4k is really insignificant in comparison to the total cost of law school and I don't think it is likely to affect many peoples decision one way or the other. I would think that it would be more productive for them to offer fewer, but larger scholarships. Most people who would chose to go to Oregon with a 2k scholarship would probably go there with no scholarship and if they were to offer some applicants 10k (or similar) scholarships they might be able to lure a few students who would not otherwise attend.

sbalive

Postby sbalive » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:11 pm

In talking to them, they feel that their reduced non-resident tuition already represents a form of "financial aid" in comparison to other institutions - in a sense, they already offer a $10K "scholarship" compared to non-resident tuition at other state schools and closer to $15K compared to privates.

sbalive

Postby sbalive » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:13 pm

sbalive wrote:In talking to them, they feel that their reduced non-resident tuition already represents a form of "financial aid" in comparison to other institutions - in a sense, they already offer a $10K "scholarship" compared to non-resident tuition at other state schools and closer to $15K compared to privates.

(Just to add - this is somewhat mitigated by the fact that it's much harder to establish in-state residency at Oregon than other states... but they still think they're competitive with the $2-4K, which covers the difference.)

tchadwick

Postby tchadwick » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:40 pm

sbalive wrote:
sbalive wrote:In talking to them, they feel that their reduced non-resident tuition already represents a form of "financial aid" in comparison to other institutions - in a sense, they already offer a $10K "scholarship" compared to non-resident tuition at other state schools and closer to $15K compared to privates.

(Just to add - this is somewhat mitigated by the fact that it's much harder to establish in-state residency at Oregon than other states... but they still think they're competitive with the $2-4K, which covers the difference.)

I'm not going to guess at the admissions office's motives. Scholarships decisions vary by school & I understand that. However, it is still not very competitive for many people who have received merit-based aid for other schools. In fact, even with the lower out-of-state rate and the extra $2,000, it is more expensive than any other school that I've applied to that has made scholarship decisions, at this point.

Not to say that there aren't other great reasons go to there! I'm certainly not an expert at the long term benefits, either. But, based purely on tuition - I would agree with the previous poster and say that they do not make that aspect very competitive.

*EDIT - This is for us out-of-state people, by the way. I am way jealous of you in-state qualifiers.

scienara

Postby scienara » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:50 pm

Hey, I'm in-state, and I'm still not going because the $4K/year they want to give me is just not even close enough, not when I have almost full tuition at Lewis and Clark and half tuition or more at other, much better ranked schools.

My cousin is an alumna and very involved with alumni activities. She says that they just can't compete financially. I don't think they get huge alumni contributions, and the state certainly doesn't give them much. Perhaps Phil Knight hasn't made it all the way around to the law school yet.

I love living in Oregon, my husband is a Duck, but there's NO WAY I would move from Portland to Eugene for the privilege of paying $16K/year for a less prestigious education.

mowmissy

Postby mowmissy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:51 pm

Just saw this,
"IMPORTANT UPDATE: We are continuing to accept applications for the fall 2009 entering class after the March 1 priority deadline" http://lawadmissions.uoregon.edu/apply/

what could this mean?? less competitive than years before? or do they always do that?

TheRyanocerous

Postby TheRyanocerous » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:59 am

mowmissy wrote:Just saw this,
"IMPORTANT UPDATE: We are continuing to accept applications for the fall 2009 entering class after the March 1 priority deadline" http://lawadmissions.uoregon.edu/apply/

what could this mean?? less competitive than years before? or do they always do that?

My guess is that they didn't receive the number of applicants that they wanted to so they are extending the deadline until they meet their quota.... Thats just my opinion though.

Joe Toboni

Postby Joe Toboni » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:30 am

TheRyanocerous wrote:

My guess is that they didn't receive the number of applicants that they wanted to so they are extending the deadline until they meet their quota.... Thats just my opinion though.

Which says so much about those of us who have heard only crickets :oops:

69sofine

Postby 69sofine » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:46 am

scienara wrote:Hey, I'm in-state, and I'm still not going because the $4K/year they want to give me is just not even close enough, not when I have almost full tuition at Lewis and Clark and half tuition or more at other, much better ranked schools.

My cousin is an alumna and very involved with alumni activities. She says that they just can't compete financially. I don't think they get huge alumni contributions, and the state certainly doesn't give them much. Perhaps Phil Knight hasn't made it all the way around to the law school yet.

I love living in Oregon, my husband is a Duck, but there's NO WAY I would move from Portland to Eugene for the privilege of paying $16K/year for a less prestigious education.

The law school school building has his name on it.

katjust

Postby katjust » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:06 am

TheRyanocerous wrote:

They are not extending their deadline. March 1st is/was simply their priority deadline. Most law schools have a priority deadline, but all of those school still accept applications after that deadline. Oregon is letting people know so applicants don't get confused and think that March 1st was their last day to submit.

annapavlova

Postby annapavlova » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:30 pm

In on this past Monday!

No money though, and they've raised their out-of-state tuition. I doubt I'll go, but it's nice to hear from them.

TheRyanocerous

Postby TheRyanocerous » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:36 pm

I just received an Acceptance letter from U of O today, dated 3/9/09, with a $2000 scholarship for all 3 years.

kimber1028

Postby kimber1028 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:22 pm

Yea! Congrats, Ryanocerous! Think we'll be going to school together, or are you leaning toward USD?

TheRyanocerous

Postby TheRyanocerous » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:45 pm

kimber1028 wrote:Yea! Congrats, Ryanocerous! Think we'll be going to school together, or are you leaning toward USD?

Its up in the air right now... I'm visiting USD in a couple weeks and then I will have a better Idea of where I want to go... Oregon would be 40-50k cheaper than USD but I think USD's job prospects are a little better and I would get to live in San Diego instead of Eugene... I really liked the building and the people at U of O though... All that being said I will probably go to USD if I like it and if I don't love it I will go to Oregon, which I would be more than happy with.

ShelleyVA

Postby ShelleyVA » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:34 pm

scienara wrote:Hey, I'm in-state, and I'm still not going because the $4K/year they want to give me is just not even close enough, not when I have almost full tuition at Lewis and Clark and half tuition or more at other, much better ranked schools.

I'll remember that when I'm studying in the Knight Law Library?

Edit: Haha, 69sofine beat me to it.

kimber1028

Postby kimber1028 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:38 pm

LOL... I think that thought was going through the heads of many who read her response. Ryanocerous: Good luck with your decision! Let me know if you're going to end up at UO. Shelley, are you definitely staying in Eugene, or are you still grappling with the Portland v. Eugene choice?

ShelleyVA

Postby ShelleyVA » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:53 pm

kimber1028 wrote:LOL... I think that thought was going through the heads of many who read her response. Ryanocerous: Good luck with your decision! Let me know if you're going to end up at UO. Shelley, are you definitely staying in Eugene, or are you still grappling with the Portland v. Eugene choice?

Eh... grappling I guess. Basically, as long as my financial aid letter from Oregon comes with no real surprises, I'm staying here. I'm aware I'm going to have to borrow a bunch of money, I'd just as well do it somewhere that I actually like living, right? Rather than drive an hour each day (each way) to Salem or move up to Portland and lose any financial benefit with an increased cost of living? That is my current thought process, anyway.

kimber1028

Postby kimber1028 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:01 pm

Yes, Portland is definitely more expensive. Plus, you have a house in Eugene, right? It's tough to fork over an extra $700-$800 per month if you're already paying a mortgage elsewhere! I'm only able to do that down in Eugene b/c I would be looking at full tuition up here (if I even get off the deferral list!), so it makes U of O quite a bit cheaper than L&C would be.

ShelleyVA

Postby ShelleyVA » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:55 pm

Haha, ummmm.... no.... unfortunately we're still renting, and it isn't even that nice of a rental, BUT we have sort of a tough situation in finding rentals because of the dog. He NEEDS a yard for his sanity and ours. Beyond that, finding a house that allows my dog (a pit bull mix), is a another story.

And, all that being said, the SO has started himself a small, growing business here, so that is huge incentive to stay. Like I said, unless something weird happens with UO's financial aid letter, I'm stickin' around. So, sounds like we'll be classmates?

kimber1028

Postby kimber1028 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:27 am

Yes, we will be classmates! I just responded to your Facebook message, too. I understand the dog thing... I'm always so sad when large dogs are penned up in apartments! It's nice that you're able to keep a yard for him.

Oh, you should join my UO 2012 group, too--I don't think anyone else has decided yet, so we're the pioneers. :D

UO Law Class of 2012 TLS Forum

chromylchloride

Postby chromylchloride » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:01 am

I'm in, found out today! It's strange though, Lewis & Clark is offering me more scholarship money than Oregon and I thought it would be the other way around...it's also just now hitting me that I will need to make a very tough decision between L&C, Oregon, and Seattle U. and it also doesn't make the decision any easier to know that my ex-girlfriend who I would love to get back with is likely to also end up at U of O
:|

SamSeaborn2016

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:06 am

chromylchloride wrote:I'm in, found out today! It's strange though, Lewis & Clark is offering me more scholarship money than Oregon and I thought it would be the other way around...it's also just now hitting me that I will need to make a very tough decision between L&C, Oregon, and Seattle U. and it also doesn't make the decision any easier to know that my ex-girlfriend who I would love to get back with is likely to also end up at U of O

yar, I be smelling a recipe for disaster there. :shock:

kimber1028

Postby kimber1028 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:44 am

chromylchloride wrote:I'm in, found out today! It's strange though, Lewis & Clark is offering me more scholarship money than Oregon and I thought it would be the other way around...it's also just now hitting me that I will need to make a very tough decision between L&C, Oregon, and Seattle U. and it also doesn't make the decision any easier to know that my ex-girlfriend who I would love to get back with is likely to also end up at U of O

Leave the ex out of the equation... it's likely to complicate things. If you end up in the same spot and happen to get back together, it's meant to be; if not, you'll probably meet a fellow law student, hit it off, and the rest will be history.

As far as the schools go, where do you want to practice? Seattle U. pretty much only places in Seattle, and L&C and UO will likely only work out well in Oregon. Seattle U. typically falls short in terms of career placement, since UW soaks up most of the local legal economy and SU career services is rumored to be almost nonexistent. That being said, if you do well compared to others in your class and have some outside connections, you'd probably be able to find a job, but it'll require a little more work on your part.

Where are you from? Do you have family in either area (read--family--not exes)? You'll probably only be able to make your decision once you're pretty certain where you want to settle down.

Oh, and a note on the scholarship thing... UO is a state school, so the resources for large scholarships simply don't exist. Since L&C is private, the adcoms tend to have more money at their disposal, which they happily use to recruit qualified candidates. Congrats on your acceptances and scholarships!

flynhawaiian

Postby flynhawaiian » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:12 pm

I think if I was you in this situation and I knew she was going to be at uo for a fact I would go to LC or another school. You really don't need that extra pressure in law school of hoping and wondering if things are going to work out. How are you going to feel if she's dating someone else in your class. Just smells like a horrible situation, that you don't need ruining your future.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”