University of Oregon Law Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kimins

New

Re: University of Oregon Law

Post by kimins » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:24 pm

just got my acceptance :mrgreen: ..i'm from CA and have never been to oregon....how do folks who live there like it? is it diverse?

icarter

Bronze

Post by icarter » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:23 pm

kimins wrote:just got my acceptance :mrgreen: ..i'm from CA and have never been to oregon....how do folks who live there like it? is it diverse?
Definitely not diverse, especially compared to most of CA! Being a CA native, I personally like CA much more however there are nice things about Oregon too. Its a greener but much colder & long winters.

sfburkhead

New

Post by sfburkhead » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:22 pm

Just got accepted. Illinois remains top choice, though.

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:52 pm

In with a $2k/yr scholarship! Received a thin, letter-sized envelope in the mail yesterday. I'm probably going back to Eugene next year!!!

Edit: Applied 1/10, complete 1/21, letter dated 2/27.
Last edited by kimber1028 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

büzzcruise

New

Post by büzzcruise » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:40 pm

kimins wrote:just got my acceptance :mrgreen: ..i'm from CA and have never been to oregon....how do folks who live there like it? is it diverse?

Oregon can be really cool at times, and at others, sort of lame. I grew up outside Portland and have lived in Eugene for four years. It can be really, really wet for many months out of the year, but June to September/October is beautiful. If you like the outdoors, Eugene is great: bike paths that go everywhere, great hiking, rafting in the summer, camping, and skiing at Bachelor in Bend. It lacks city-stuff like decent shopping, but has a pretty good music and art scene.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:48 pm

I just got the acceptance packet yesterday. I am assuming the $2000.00.00 scholarship means $2000. Did anyone else have a typo like that on their letter? I do really like Oregon, but I don't think that 2k per year will be enough to convince me not to take in-state tuition at UW.

Congrats to everyone else who has gotten in!

TheRyanocerous

Bronze

Post by TheRyanocerous » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:56 pm

jcl2 wrote:I just got the acceptance packet yesterday. I am assuming the $2000.00.00 scholarship means $2000. Did anyone else have a typo like that on their letter? I do really like Oregon, but I don't think that 2k per year will be enough to convince me not to take in-state tuition at UW.

Congrats! when did you apply?

thefalls

New

Post by thefalls » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:26 pm

In today w/$5,000 dean's scholarship!

Might be too far a move for me, but I like UO's environmental law/sustainable business programs. Will consider for sure.

TheRyanocerous

Bronze

Post by TheRyanocerous » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:28 pm

thefalls wrote:In today w/$5,000 dean's scholarship!

Might be too far a move for me, but I like UO's environmental law/sustainable business programs. Will consider for sure.
Congrats, what is you Location? When did you go complete?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tchadwick

New

Post by tchadwick » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:33 pm

Wow, you got $5,000/year! Congrats!! You are definitely above the median!

I, with my little $2,000/year, will be withdrawing shortly. Lewis & Clark made it cheaper for me to go there, so it gets to remain my single west coast option (and one of the final five that I'm still seriously considering)!

But, the must have liked you, for real. Once again, Congratulations!!!

thefalls

New

Post by thefalls » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:47 pm

TheRyanocerous wrote:

Congrats, what is you Location? When did you go complete?
I'm in New England; went complete in early November.

thefalls

New

Post by thefalls » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:58 pm

tchadwick wrote:

Wow, you got $5,000/year! Congrats!! You are definitely above the median!

I, with my little $2,000/year, will be withdrawing shortly. Lewis & Clark made it cheaper for me to go there, so it gets to remain my single west coast option (and one of the final five that I'm still seriously considering)!

But, the must have liked you, for real. Once again, Congratulations!!!
Thanks!

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:14 pm

TheRyanocerous wrote:
jcl2 wrote:I just got the acceptance packet yesterday. I am assuming the $2000.00.00 scholarship means $2000. Did anyone else have a typo like that on their letter? I do really like Oregon, but I don't think that 2k per year will be enough to convince me not to take in-state tuition at UW.

Congrats! when did you apply?
I applied in November, went complete early December.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beachcomber

New

Post by beachcomber » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:18 pm

damn, i thought mine was for 20 million. shucks!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:22 pm

kimber1028 wrote:In with a $2k/yr scholarship! Received a thin, letter-sized envelope in the mail yesterday. I'm probably going back to Eugene next year!!! 3.08/158.

Congrats Kimber! That sounds like an excellent option for you! :D

To poster above: You would have to be a psycopath to even consider U of O over UW, regardless of in-state or not. Jeeesh!

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:27 pm

A'nold wrote:
kimber1028 wrote:In with a $2k/yr scholarship! Received a thin, letter-sized envelope in the mail yesterday. I'm probably going back to Eugene next year!!! 3.08/158.

To poster above: You would have to be a psycopath to even consider U of O over UW, regardless of in-state or not. Jeeesh!
It would totally be worth it for a 20 million dollar scholarship :D

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:28 pm

jcl2 wrote:
A'nold wrote:

It would totally be worth it for a 20 million dollar scholarship :D
No way, you'd be selling yourself short, a UW degree is worth at least 50! Or at least that's what Northwesters would like you to believe...... :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:39 pm

A'nold wrote:

Thanks! With in-state tuition and a $6k scholarship over three years, I'll end up saving a ton v. any of the private schools I applied to.... I'm really excited! A'nold, where do you think you'll go in August? UConn or McGeorge?

And, yes, UW trumps any Oregon school, even in our own market... definitely go for that offer, jcl2! :D

ShelleyVA

New

Post by ShelleyVA » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:04 pm

I'm still trying to figure out what to do. Oregon only offered me $2,000, which seems to be the standard offer for most people this year. I was expecting a little more. My numbers aren't fantastic or anything, but I was sort of gauging off of last year's offers and it seems they're just giving less away this year. I REALLY want to stay in Eugene because my life is here. My boyfriend wants me to go to Willamette and commute to Salem. With their scholarship offer that would only cost me about $6000 a year, but I have no interest in going to Willamette OR commuting. L & C offered me $14,000 grand a year, so based solely on tuition/scholarship it would be $2,000 a year cheaper than UO, but I have to imagine that $2,000 would get eaten up by a higher cost of living in Portland. Ugh....decisions.... :?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:07 pm

kimber1028 wrote:
A'nold wrote:

Thanks! With in-state tuition and a $6k scholarship over three years, I'll end up saving a ton v. any of the private schools I applied to.... I'm really excited! A'nold, where do you think you'll go in August? UConn or McGeorge?

And, yes, UW trumps any Oregon school, even in our own market... definitely go for that offer, jcl2! :D
I haven't decided yet, I am still waiting on WAY too many schools to know for sure yet. Thanks for asking!

To shellyVA: That is a tough decision. By the looks of it it appears that U of O would be the best choice for you. Is that L&C scholly conditional?

ShelleyVA

New

Post by ShelleyVA » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:09 pm

Just conditional that I'd have to maintain a 2.95.

Basically at this point I'm just waiting to figure out what my financial aid situation is going to look like. I don't think I'll be able to make a decision until those letters come out*.

*Or until I win the lottery, of course.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:17 pm

ShelleyVA wrote:I'm still trying to figure out what to do. Oregon only offered me $2,000, which seems to be the standard offer for most people this year. I was expecting a little more. My numbers aren't fantastic or anything, but I was sort of gauging off of last year's offers and it seems they're just giving less away this year. I REALLY want to stay in Eugene because my life is here. My boyfriend wants me to go to Willamette and commute to Salem. With their scholarship offer that would only cost me about $6000 a year, but I have no interest in going to Willamette OR commuting. L & C offered me $14,000 grand a year, so based solely on tuition/scholarship it would be $2,000 a year cheaper than UO, but I have to imagine that $2,000 would get eaten up by a higher cost of living in Portland. Ugh....decisions.... :?
From what I've gathered through speaking with attorney friends here in Portland and throughout the rest of Oregon, Willamette is basically a death trap. It's extremely hard to compete with U of O, L&C, and UW graduates coming out of Willamette, even if one is close to the top of her class. Almost everyone I've spoken with has said that U of O and L&C have very similar employment prospects regionally. Personally, based on what I've heard, I don't think Willamette's worth the $18k that you'd spend, given that you'll come out making at least $20k less per year than you would after graduating from one of the other Oregon schools. Just my two cents.... Good luck with the decision!

ShelleyVA

New

Post by ShelleyVA » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:19 pm

Haha, I've heard the same thing about Willamette. My bf tries to understand, but he doesn't quite get it. He's of the "Well, does it matter as long as you graduate with a law degree?" school of thought. :roll:

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:34 pm

LOL, my family thinks the same way. Luckily, I've explained things well enough to my fiance that he understands the importance of going to either L&C or U of O if we want to stay in Oregon. It's hard, though... I'm looking at moving down to Eugene for three years, leaving him and my life on hold in Portland, so I know how you feel. For me, though, U of O will be $30k-$45k cheaper than L&C when all is said and done. I was deferred at L&C, so I'm not expecting any sort of scholarship if I even manage to make it in.

If you are looking for relatively inexpensive housing in Portland--close to Eugene prices--I would try Tigard or Tualatin, which will just be a short drive or bus ride down I5 from L&C. It'll take you too long to commute from Beaverton on 26, and anything in the city will be too expensive. When we first moved to Portland from Eugene, my fiance and I found an apartment in the Bull Mountain area of Tigard for equal to what we were paying in Eugene. They were similar in size and both had 2 bd/1 ba, too, so you shouldn't have to sacrifice much to stay in the same price range. Let me know if you have questions--I'm very familiar with both cities, so I can offer a good comparative perspective.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:05 am

I got my acceptance letter from U of O today.

No scholarship offer. At all. WTH? I got money from Indiana, Illinois, Notre Dame, Temple, Miami, everywhere, but no love from U of O?

They'll be getting my withdrawal letter shortly.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”