University of Washington

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
vagabond0079

Re: University of Washington

Postby vagabond0079 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:15 pm

That wouldn't really seem to square with their self-imposed 1 April deadline for notification...

pubintrst

Postby pubintrst » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:29 pm

I don't think spring break would preclude decisions going out this week. I don't doubt that they have students participate in the app review process, but surely they aren't needed for every step of that process. I would imagine the admissions office gathers the student input and then takes it from there.

Besides, I called admissions on Monday and asked if they would admit me if I put the Huskies in my Final Four. They seemed agreeable and I'd been in right now if they hadn't called my bluff and figured out I was actually talking about UConn.

Three of schools I applied to are in the tourney. I thought about just choosing the one that makes it the farthest. though that would necessitate actually being admitted by two of the three. MArch Mdness would be more distracting from Admissions Anxiety if weren't for all the colleges involved, oh well.

HipHopAPotamus

Postby HipHopAPotamus » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:30 pm

vagabond0079 wrote:That wouldn't really seem to square with their self-imposed 1 April deadline for notification...

UW's deposit deadline is June 1st.

Fup

Postby Fup » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:31 pm

If UW wins the tournament I will go there, guaranteed.

GO DAWGS!!!

HipHopAPotamus

Postby HipHopAPotamus » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:33 pm

pubintrst wrote:I don't think spring break would preclude decisions going out this week. I don't doubt that they have students participate in the app review process, but surely they aren't needed for every step of that process. I would imagine the admissions office gathers the student input and then takes it from there.

Besides, I called admissions on Monday and asked if they would admit me if I put the Huskies in my Final Four. They seemed agreeable and I'd been in right now if they hadn't called my bluff and figured out I was actually talking about UConn.

Three of schools I applied to are in the tourney. I thought about just choosing the one that makes it the farthest. though that would necessitate actually being admitted by two of the three. MArch Mdness would be more distracting from Admissions Anxiety if weren't for all the colleges involved, oh well.

In my bracket, I actually did have UW pulling the upset over UCONN in elite 8, but then losing to Wake in Final 4. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to discuss brackets with the people in the Admissions office.

pubintrst

Postby pubintrst » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:02 pm

HipHopAPotamus wrote:
pubintrst wrote:I don't think spring break would preclude decisions going out this week. I don't doubt that they have students participate in the app review process, but surely they aren't needed for every step of that process. I would imagine the admissions office gathers the student input and then takes it from there.

In my bracket, I actually did have UW pulling the upset over UCONN in elite 8, but then losing to Wake in Final 4. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to discuss brackets with the people in the Admissions office.

I have the Zags in my final four, but after watching their play relative to the Huskies yesterday I'm beginning to think I picked the wrong WA team to pick going deep into the tourney.

vagabond0079

Postby vagabond0079 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:35 pm

HipHopAPotamus wrote:
vagabond0079 wrote:That wouldn't really seem to square with their self-imposed 1 April deadline for notification...

UW's deposit deadline is June 1st.

Yes, but they're not going to inform you of your acceptance/denial the day before the deposit is due. From their admissions site:

[ When are decisions made?

Decisions are made on completed applications between January 1 and April 1.

Does the Law School have rolling admissions?

Applications are reviewed between January 1 and April 1. They are reviewed in the order in which they are completed. We try to have all decisions made by April 1. ]

I suppose the word "try" might be relevant, but you would expect them to plan for Spring Break, if indeed that would affect the process.

I went by UW last week to change my address/pn, and they told me that they had three committees that had yet to meet. They also said that everyone left in the pool was more or less equally qualified and that they were being quite diligent about reviewing and re-reviewing each package. Then she said that I'd probably not get my decision until right up against the 1 April deadline.

Plus they have to know that there are quite a few schools with mid-April or early-May deposit deadlines. It may be a little after the 1st, but I got the impression they'll try to get it as close to that as they can.

macattaq

Postby macattaq » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:39 pm

Thanks for the heads up!

pedal

Postby pedal » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:01 pm

vagabond0079 wrote:They also said that everyone left in the pool was more or less equally qualified and that they were being quite diligent about reviewing and re-reviewing each package.

This is brutal. Maybe I should have slipped a Ben Franklin in my application. :wink:
I have another LOR--any advice on whether or not I should send it? If I had officially been on a waitlist instead of in this limbo, I would have sent it, but I think it would only be annoying to them at this point.

Note: the LOR is from a doctor I work with from time to time, and my PS was all about studying health law. The doc gave it to me super late so I didn't include it in my original application.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:46 pm

maestoso43 wrote:Flat out REJECTION received in the mail.

I was good enough for George Washington, but not the University of Washington. I'll never understand this process.

Oh well.

Better luck to the rest of y'all!

Sorry to hear that, sounds like you still have excellent options though.

This is certainly no consolation, but I just learned that in UW and GW are almost identical in terms of selectivity, ranking 21 and 19 respectively when ranked just by entering students GPA and LSAT 25% to 75% ranges, so it is not that strange that you would get into GW and not UW.

pubintrst

Postby pubintrst » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:38 pm

pedal wrote:
vagabond0079 wrote:They also said that everyone left in the pool was more or less equally qualified and that they were being quite diligent about reviewing and re-reviewing each package.

This is brutal. Maybe I should have slipped a Ben Franklin in my application. :wink:
I have another LOR--any advice on whether or not I should send it? If I had officially been on a waitlist instead of in this limbo, I would have sent it, but I think it would only be annoying to them at this point.

Note: the LOR is from a doctor I work with from time to time, and my PS was all about studying health law. The doc gave it to me super late so I didn't include it in my original application.

I have an extra LOR too, though it went in with my Gates PSL app. I think their acceptance of only 2 lor's would indicate that they would not accept any additional ones later as it would be an uneven playing field for other applicants.

I just want to say that, frustrating as it may be, all of us still vying for the final spots can at least enjoying the feeling of coming close. That's somewhat complimentary, though no consolation for rejection.

Best of luck.

Fup

Postby Fup » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:15 pm

HipHopAPotamus wrote:In my bracket, I actually did have UW pulling the upset over UCONN in elite 8, but then losing to Wake in Final 4. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to discuss brackets with the people in the Admissions office.

lol. Sorry.

HipHopAPotamus

Postby HipHopAPotamus » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:18 pm

Fup wrote:
HipHopAPotamus wrote:In my bracket, I actually did have UW pulling the upset over UCONN in elite 8, but then losing to Wake in Final 4. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to discuss brackets with the people in the Admissions office.

lol. Sorry.

Hahaha that was the worst bracket pick ever! Losing one of my 2 final teams on the first day! I'll never trust an ACC team again.

google

Postby google » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:00 pm

I feel vindicated after Washington lost just now.

Fup

Postby Fup » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:24 pm

Damn it UW! I'm sending in my withdrawal notice.

(not really, but I'm very disappointed).

Sannerbr

Postby Sannerbr » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:02 am

I flirting with the idea of visiting campus and meeting with somebody in admissions. Is it worth it at this point? Decisions have to be coming soon. So, I am not sure if I want to take the chance of making a bad impression. Any advice?

HipHopAPotamus

Postby HipHopAPotamus » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:01 am

Sannerbr wrote:I flirting with the idea of visiting campus and meeting with somebody in admissions. Is it worth it at this point? Decisions have to be coming soon. So, I am not sure if I want to take the chance of making a bad impression. Any advice?

I just did this last week; everyone in the office was very friendly, but we didn't directly discuss the status of my file. I just talked about my background, my interest in law and why I could see myself at U-Dub's (programs I could see myself in etc.). I also got a tour of the building and spoke with some financial aid people. It was a really positive experience but I don't know if it will have any influence on their decision, other than showing them I'm still interested.

Sannerbr

Postby Sannerbr » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:08 am

HipHopAPotamus wrote:
Sannerbr wrote:I flirting with the idea of visiting campus and meeting with somebody in admissions. Is it worth it at this point? Decisions have to be coming soon. So, I am not sure if I want to take the chance of making a bad impression. Any advice?

I just did this last week; everyone in the office was very friendly, but we didn't directly discuss the status of my file. I just talked about my background, my interest in law and why I could see myself at U-Dub's (programs I could see myself in etc.). I also got a tour of the building and spoke with some financial aid people. It was a really positive experience but I don't know if it will have any influence on their decision, other than showing them I'm still interested.

Did you call the admissions department to make an appointment?

HipHopAPotamus

Postby HipHopAPotamus » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:15 am

No but you can go online and schedule an appointment; they have a nice little link. https://www.law.washington.edu/admissio ... fault.aspx.

I visited during finals (the law school is on the quarter system, which is weird) so couldn't sit in on a class. They're on Spring Break until the 30th I think, so you might want to wait to visit.

Sannerbr

Postby Sannerbr » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:20 am

HipHopAPotamus wrote:No but you can go online and schedule an appointment; they have a nice little link. https://www.law.washington.edu/admissio ... fault.aspx.

I visited during finals (the law school is on the quarter system, which is weird) so couldn't sit in on a class. They're on Spring Break until the 30th I think, so you might want to wait to visit.

Cool. Thanks for the info. Is UW your top choice?

HipHopAPotamus

Postby HipHopAPotamus » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:30 am

Sannerbr wrote:
HipHopAPotamus wrote:No but you can go online and schedule an appointment; they have a nice little link. https://www.law.washington.edu/admissio ... fault.aspx.

Cool. Thanks for the info. Is UW your top choice?

I dunno actually. I'm going to visit a couple more schools in April and should have a better idea by then. But I do love Seattle and the NW in general, and it seemed to be a great school. I'm not assuming I'll get in to UW, but if I do and can get some sort of financial aid package from them (I was told most of their financial aid is need, not merit, based, which I think favors me) then I'd have a hard time saying no.
How about you?

Sannerbr

Postby Sannerbr » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:37 am

Yeah. If I get in i'm going. The tuition is pretty reasonable for residents and the degree carries pretty well in the NW. The wait is killing me, though. I sent in my app almost 4 months ago. Oh well. At least I have Seattle U and Lewis and Clark to fall back on.

HipHopAPotamus

Postby HipHopAPotamus » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:46 am

In that case I'd really encourage you to visit; I don't think putting in some face time at the school can hurt you at all. If you do some research, devise a list of questions you want answered, can speak specifically about why you want to go there, and just seem entusiastic about UW then it may help put you over the edge; that was my thinking anyways.

btrflykss12

Postby btrflykss12 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:01 am

Anyone heard anything? I'm part of the 3/12 Review group.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:07 am

Do it. Showing your interest can only help, I'm sure one of the factors they are considering in the remaining applications is who is likely to attend if given an offer.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”