University of Washington

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
pubintrst
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:00 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby pubintrst » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:57 pm

pedal wrote:I'm not convinced that the "committee phase" referred to above is the same admissions process. Here's why (from the Gates PSL scholarship FAQ):

Is it possible that I could be admitted to the J.D. program at the UW School of Law, but not in time for my Gates PSL Scholarship application to be reviewed?
Yes. Whether or not your Gates PSL Scholarship application is reviewed by the Selection Committee depends on when you’re admitted to the J.D. program at the UW School of Law. For example, if your J.D. application file is sent to the Admissions Committee for a secondary review, you may still be accepted into the J.D. program, but not in time for the Gates PSL Scholarship Selection Committee to review your scholarship application. This occurs rarely, but it can happen. If your acceptance into the J.D. program comes too late for your Gates PSL Scholarship application to be reviewed, someone from the Gates PSL Program Office will inform you via e-mail.


Yes, I saw that too. My uninformed opinion is that "secondary" is the key word there, and that all decisions are done by this committee. My gut tells me they will release more decisions prior to Apr. 1, but what do I know?

Since I'm in this boat and have thought about the ramifications many times I'll throw this out there. Who among us would like to be one of these "rare" cases? On the one hand you get in (which could be huge if this is the only in-state school you applied to), on the other no scholarship, in fact you weren't even considered ("thanks for the extra essay and two LOR's, we're wallpapering our offices with them").

I'd take that bargain right now thank you very much....but the waiting continues.

User avatar
pedal
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:14 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby pedal » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:14 pm

Good point. I think I was just trying to convince myself not to visit UW's status checker incessantly anymore. I hate that girl (see above).

User avatar
Marmot
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:33 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby Marmot » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:40 pm

pedal wrote:Good point. I think I was just trying to convince myself not to visit UW's status checker incessantly anymore. I hate that girl (see above).


Yeah, I think I need to start seeing someone else. She's really beginning to irk me.

User avatar
pubintrst
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:00 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby pubintrst » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:51 pm

pedal wrote:Good point. I think I was just trying to convince myself not to visit UW's status checker incessantly anymore. I hate that girl (see above).


Ah, yes. She haunted my dreams for several weeks until I found away around her "ogre at the status checker bridge" ways. Paste this link https://aces2.lsac.org/YourStatus/membership/AppStatIdMe.aspx?guid=iHj7FEgQQYY%3D into your address bar. Bookmarking it would be more advisable or else you'll come to hate my sushi flavored avatar too.

All of the status checker links have some sort of id code attached to them. You need to right click them and "bookmark this linK" in order to effectively bookmark them. Once you've clicked on them and navigated to the status checker, the id information has vanished into the internets.

Good riddance UW law student. Image

tvaddicted
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:10 am

Re: University of Washington

Postby tvaddicted » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:56 pm

pubintrst wrote:
pedal wrote:Good point. I think I was just trying to convince myself not to visit UW's status checker incessantly anymore. I hate that girl (see above).


Ah, yes. She haunted my dreams for several weeks until I found away around her "ogre at the status checker bridge" ways. Paste this link https://aces2.lsac.org/YourStatus/membership/AppStatIdMe.aspx?guid=iHj7FEgQQYY%3D into your address bar. Bookmarking it would be more advisable or else you'll come to hate my sushi flavored avatar too.

All of the status checker links have some sort of id code attached to them. You need to right click them and "bookmark this linK" in order to effectively bookmark them. Once you've clicked on them and navigated to the status checker, the id information has vanished into the internets.

Good riddance UW law student. Image


LOL, this thread is amazing.

User avatar
Marmot
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:33 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby Marmot » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:06 pm

Imagine seeing her on campus in the fall...

"YOU! GET AWAY FROM ME!"

"Sigh. Not again..."

User avatar
csc2law
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:02 am

Re: University of Washington

Postby csc2law » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:34 am


User avatar
pedal
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:14 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby pedal » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:27 pm

Marmot wrote:Imagine seeing her on campus in the fall...

"YOU! GET AWAY FROM ME!"

"Sigh. Not again..."

This killed me.

csc2law wrote:No faces here :wink: :
http://appstatus.globl.org

THANK YOU! Hasta la vista, muchacha!

User avatar
j.hodgman
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:09 am

Re: University of Washington

Postby j.hodgman » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:29 pm

kalydscopeeyes wrote:HOLY SHIT. I got an acceptance letter today in the mail (I was one of the only ones I think whose changed to Decision 2/24 and 2/25 back and forth...). I am SO EXCITED. I think this is my #1 choice. I thought it was a longshot! It came in a small envelope (which my boyfriend already opened! grrr) and I thought it was a rejection. He tried to keep a straight face as the first word I saw was Congratulations! I freaked out.

I'm not particularly religious, but I'm suspecting divine intervention here... lol.


Has anyone else with Decision 2/24 & Letter 2/25 received the letter? Seems like the two people on here are in so far...the wait is killing me ><

Sannerbr
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:21 am

Re: University of Washington

Postby Sannerbr » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:50 pm

Judging from what LSN reported last year, anybody who has not heard at this point will either be put on the waitlist or be rejected. That blows. So, assuming that UW will follow the pattern that it did last year I have to seriously start considering my other options.

What do you guys think? Lewis & Clark w/ 1/3 tuition, Seattle U w/ 1/3 tuition, Gonzaga w/ 1/2 tuition, Iowa (sticker), or Arizona State (sticker)?

_mel_
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby _mel_ » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:30 pm

Sannerbr wrote:Judging from what LSN reported last year, anybody who has not heard at this point will either be put on the waitlist or be rejected. That blows. So, assuming that UW will follow the pattern that it did last year I have to seriously start considering my other options.

What do you guys think? Lewis & Clark w/ 1/3 tuition, Seattle U w/ 1/3 tuition, Gonzaga w/ 1/2 tuition, Iowa (sticker), or Arizona State (sticker)?


Here are my two cents:

They say you should go to the best school you get into. I however, would urge you to go to a school in a state/city you really like and could stand living in for quite some time.

Spokane should be out, because it is Spokane.

I've never lived in Iowa or Arizona, but they both have shitty climates and are landlocked.

I have lived in both Seattle and Portland and my guts say that Portland is a better city to live in as a student: rents are cheaper, transit/bike/foot is easier so you don't need a car, good beer is on every corner and it has a friendlier overall vibe.

The only thing that SU has going for it, as far as I can tell, is higher salaries straight out of school, but I've heard SU is known to inflate these figures.

Of your choices, I think that L&C is your best bet, mostly for financial and geographic reasons.

Have you visited all the schools? Where are you from?

(I'm in at L/C and SU and waiting for the ding from UW)

Sannerbr
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:21 am

Re: University of Washington

Postby Sannerbr » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:56 pm

_mel_ wrote:
Sannerbr wrote:Judging from what LSN reported last year, anybody who has not heard at this point will either be put on the waitlist or be rejected. That blows. So, assuming that UW will follow the pattern that it did last year I have to seriously start considering my other options.

What do you guys think? Lewis & Clark w/ 1/3 tuition, Seattle U w/ 1/3 tuition, Gonzaga w/ 1/2 tuition, Iowa (sticker), or Arizona State (sticker)?


Here are my two cents:

They say you should go to the best school you get into. I however, would urge you to go to a school in a state/city you really like and could stand living in for quite some time.

Spokane should be out, because it is Spokane.

I've never lived in Iowa or Arizona, but they both have shitty climates and are landlocked.

I have lived in both Seattle and Portland and my guts say that Portland is a better city to live in as a student: rents are cheaper, transit/bike/foot is easier so you don't need a car, good beer is on every corner and it has a friendlier overall vibe.

The only thing that SU has going for it, as far as I can tell, is higher salaries straight out of school, but I've heard SU is known to inflate these figures.

Of your choices, I think that L&C is your best bet, mostly for financial and geographic reasons.

Have you visited all the schools? Where are you from?

(I'm in at L/C and SU and waiting for the ding from UW)


I'm from Yakima/Ellensburg

I haven't visited L&C or Iowa, but I have heard nothing but good things about both campuses.

User avatar
Marmot
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:33 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby Marmot » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:26 am

Sannerbr wrote:Judging from what LSN reported last year, anybody who has not heard at this point will either be put on the waitlist or be rejected. That blows. So, assuming that UW will follow the pattern that it did last year I have to seriously start considering my other options.

What do you guys think? Lewis & Clark w/ 1/3 tuition, Seattle U w/ 1/3 tuition, Gonzaga w/ 1/2 tuition, Iowa (sticker), or Arizona State (sticker)?

If you want to practice in Seattle, word on the street is that you should go to a T14, The Yoo Dub, or Seattle University. I'm planning to attend SU if I don't get in at UW. Career placement is a bit of a concern, but I have some natural networking advantages already and by every account I've heard the quality of instruction is vastly underrated at Seattle U.

scienara
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:42 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby scienara » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:42 am

I'm having a similar conundrum. I want to practice patent law in the northwest, either Portland or Seattle. I currently live in Portland and I'm married so if we move my husband will have to find a new job. I'm trying to decide between Lewis and Clark with almost a full ride, or UW at sticker? Gah. It wouldn't be so hard to decide except that there's more work in my field in Seattle.

User avatar
pubintrst
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:00 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby pubintrst » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:05 pm

scienara wrote:I'm having a similar conundrum. I want to practice patent law in the northwest, either Portland or Seattle. I currently live in Portland and I'm married so if we move my husband will have to find a new job. I'm trying to decide between Lewis and Clark with almost a full ride, or UW at sticker? Gah. It wouldn't be so hard to decide except that there's more work in my field in Seattle.


Oh god, that's a tough one. Even though you weren't really soliciting advice here's mine cuz that's how I roll. Go to UW (even though that might make it harder for me to get in) and try it out for 1 - 3 years, you could always transfer to L & C. You say there is more work up there, might as well try the place out before you would commit to years and years there. If you hate it during law school then that would be a valuable lesson. And they're close enough where your husband could take a few months to find a job while you start school.

That's what I'd do. And UW is a better school, yadayadayada

User avatar
Marmot
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:33 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby Marmot » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:12 am

Okay, I just withdrew from everywhere I've been accepted except for Seattle U. By bringing joy to the lives of the waitlisted, I'd like to think I'm giving myself the karma that will put me over the top for UW.

User avatar
pubintrst
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:00 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby pubintrst » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:27 am

Marmot wrote:Okay, I just withdrew from everywhere I've been accepted except for Seattle U. By bringing joy to the lives of the waitlisted, I'd like to think I'm giving myself the karma that will put me over the top for UW.

Good job Marmot. Best of luck with the UW. At the least the karma will come in handy dodging boulders near your mountain side home.

scienara
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:42 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby scienara » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:29 pm

pubintrst wrote:
scienara wrote:I'm having a similar conundrum. I want to practice patent law in the northwest, either Portland or Seattle. I currently live in Portland and I'm married so if we move my husband will have to find a new job. I'm trying to decide between Lewis and Clark with almost a full ride, or UW at sticker? Gah. It wouldn't be so hard to decide except that there's more work in my field in Seattle.


Oh god, that's a tough one. Even though you weren't really soliciting advice here's mine cuz that's how I roll. Go to UW (even though that might make it harder for me to get in) and try it out for 1 - 3 years, you could always transfer to L & C. You say there is more work up there, might as well try the place out before you would commit to years and years there. If you hate it during law school then that would be a valuable lesson. And they're close enough where your husband could take a few months to find a job while you start school.

That's what I'd do. And UW is a better school, yadayadayada


Oh, I totally welcome input. I dunno, though, the big reason I'm even considering L&C over UW is the full scholly...which I doubt I would get back if I tried to transfer. I'm pretty sure we would like Seattle. We're city folk and have spent a good amount of time there over the years.

Basically, it boils down to: stay here, go to L&C, incur very minimal debt, buy a house, settle in, hope to goodness I'm top 25% (I give myself a little leeway outside of the top 10% because I'll have my PhD).

OR

Deal with the hassle of a move to Seattle, incur $100K+ debt, live in an apartment, pray to the Vengeful Gods of Economic Implosion that my husband finds a decent job ASAP, and still hope to goodness I'm in the top 25% but have generally better and wider ranging job prospects afterwards.

I dunno. WWYD?

scienara
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:42 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby scienara » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:35 pm

Sannerbr wrote:Judging from what LSN reported last year, anybody who has not heard at this point will either be put on the waitlist or be rejected. That blows. So, assuming that UW will follow the pattern that it did last year I have to seriously start considering my other options.

What do you guys think? Lewis & Clark w/ 1/3 tuition, Seattle U w/ 1/3 tuition, Gonzaga w/ 1/2 tuition, Iowa (sticker), or Arizona State (sticker)?



I would say L&C as long as you don't mind practicing in Portland. It's really pretty cheap to live here.

The regional schools really boil down to where you want to go when you graduate. I think you should decide that first and go from there.

User avatar
Marmot
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:33 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby Marmot » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:48 pm

It strikes me that those of us still waiting to hear from UW may effectively be on hold until they hear back from the first group of acceptances. Please withdraw if you don't plan to attend. I'll grill you a tasty kebab...

bhut13
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby bhut13 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:19 pm

still waiting as well...3.7/160/in-state, c'mon one time.

Sannerbr
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:21 am

Re: University of Washington

Postby Sannerbr » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:45 pm

bhut13 wrote:still waiting as well...3.7/160/in-state, c'mon one time.


I'm in the same boat 160/3.7/instate...they might just be holding on to us to make sure they get a certain amount of Washingtonians.

User avatar
malagueno
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:38 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby malagueno » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:27 am

Marmot wrote:It strikes me that those of us still waiting to hear from UW may effectively be on hold until they hear back from the first group of acceptances. Please withdraw if you don't plan to attend. I'll grill you a tasty kebab...


Assuming this is true, does anyone know when the first seat deposit is due for admitted students?

Fup
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:15 am

Re: University of Washington

Postby Fup » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:50 am

malagueno wrote:
Marmot wrote:It strikes me that those of us still waiting to hear from UW may effectively be on hold until they hear back from the first group of acceptances. Please withdraw if you don't plan to attend. I'll grill you a tasty kebab...


Assuming this is true, does anyone know when the first seat deposit is due for admitted students?


I think it's due June 1. Anyway, I'll probably withdraw soon, I just need to make sure that I have a decent scholarship at a T-14 first.

_mel_
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby _mel_ » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:20 pm

Sannerbr wrote:
bhut13 wrote:still waiting as well...3.7/160/in-state, c'mon one time.


I'm in the same boat 160/3.7/instate...they might just be holding on to us to make sure they get a certain amount of Washingtonians.


Same here: 160/3.8/instate

I'm not holding my breath.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bob loblaw law blog, BrainsyK, Christinabruin, lawlawland16 and 23 guests