University of Washington Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pubintrst

New

Re: University of Washington

Post by pubintrst » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:06 pm

My status checker date continues its erratic movement, but still in review. It's like walking my dog. Status checker stops and sniffs something, then realizes I'm getting too far ahead, so it runs to catch up. Repeat process.

At least I can't get as mad at the status checker now, seems kinda cute and friendly when I think of it like that.

kalydscopeeyes

New

Post by kalydscopeeyes » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:01 pm

It changed again. Decision letter dated today (2/25/09). Anyone else?!?! AHHHHHH!

osu09

New

Post by osu09 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:26 pm

Decision 2/24
Mailed 2/25

I live in Ohio. Does anyone know how long it takes for mail to come across the country?

Fup

Bronze

Post by Fup » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:31 pm

So what's the deal with the scholarship application (I still haven't started)?

From the description, it looks primarily need-based. Since I have a fair amount in savings (enough for at least one year's tuition, and a good portion of another), should I even bother? Considering my savings and the fact that the full amount of a Stafford loan will cover tuition by itself, I can't imagine UW having anything to offer me.

If I apply, perhaps I should tell them that they owe me money for forcing me to endure four years of Ty Willingham.

pubintrst

New

Post by pubintrst » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:00 pm

Fup wrote:So what's the deal with the scholarship application (I still haven't started)?

From the description, it looks primarily need-based. Since I have a fair amount in savings (enough for at least one year's tuition, and a good portion of another), should I even bother? Considering my savings and the fact that the full amount of a Stafford loan will cover tuition by itself, I can't imagine UW having anything to offer me.

If I apply, perhaps I should tell them that they owe me money for forcing me to endure four years of Ty Willingham.
Not sure about the scholarship application, haven't seen it yet since I am still "in review". But it would seem silly to not complete it and see what they offer. Perhaps some of it is not need based. Additionally, the FAFSA priority deadline for UW Law is 2/28/09.

This deadline applies to everyone, admitted or not. If you miss this deadline it appears thay you will not be considered for non-loan based (grants and scholarships) aid.

I just completed the FAFSA today online and am hoping that I qualify as having made the deadline. Does anyone know whether this 2/28/09 deadline is when UW needs the material or just having completed the form by then???

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:13 pm

osu09 wrote:Decision 2/24
Mailed 2/25

I live in Ohio. Does anyone know how long it takes for mail to come across the country?
Well I'm from Ohio and go to school in Washington, and it usually takes 3-4 days (usually 3) for mail back and forth.

scienara

New

Post by scienara » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:28 pm

Has anybody heard anything on the scholarship front? There's next to no scholarship data on TLS, and I'm wondering whether or not to get my hopes up.

kalydscopeeyes

New

Post by kalydscopeeyes » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:45 pm

Mine changed again, from 2/25/09 Decision/Decision Letter Mailed, to now 2/24/09 Decision with TWO 2/25/09 Decision letters mailed.

Wtf. I think I should just stop checking the status checkers. They have really done nothing for me.

pedal

New

Post by pedal » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:28 pm

kalydscopeeyes wrote:Mine changed again, from 2/25/09 Decision/Decision Letter Mailed, to now 2/24/09 Decision with TWO 2/25/09 Decision letters mailed.

Wtf. I think I should just stop checking the status checkers. They have really done nothing for me.
They've done nothing for you?? What about stress, anxiety and lost sleep?

UW's status checker has got to be the worst. Time travel, date-swapping, mystery....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kalydscopeeyes

New

Post by kalydscopeeyes » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:39 pm

pedal wrote:
Well, ok, my stomach did lurch for a second and my heart sped up when I saw it change to Decision. I'll be really bummed if I don't get in :(
Last edited by kalydscopeeyes on Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marmot

Bronze

Post by Marmot » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:40 pm

scienara wrote:Has anybody heard anything on the scholarship front? There's next to no scholarship data on TLS, and I'm wondering whether or not to get my hopes up.
According to the financial aid site, with very few exceptions, most at-entry scholarships are need-based. They'll send an application form with acceptance.

http://www.law.washington.edu/FinAid/Financing.aspx

pedal

New

Post by pedal » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:44 pm

kalydscopeeyes wrote:
pedal wrote:
Well, ok, my stomach did lurch for a second and my heart sped up when I saw it change to Decision. I'll be really bummed if I don't get in :(
I will keep my other set of fingers crossed for you! I'm nervous as hell, too. Still "In Review" (for the third time)....

Rsrcht

Bronze

Post by Rsrcht » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:19 pm

If the numbers on LSN reflect actual numbers as they change, then maybe about 5-7% (121-168) of the applicants will receive something this week. There should also be about 30-40% (720-960) left who are still pending. So that means about approximately 254 more acceptance letters will be sent out before April 1. 6% of last year's LSN applicants received a waitlist letter from UW, but only 2% of LSN applicants received an acceptance afterwards. This year that would be maybe 144 applicants who receive waitlist letters, and at most, 48 would receive an acceptance letter, but I sincerely doubt this would happen. So no more than 58 individuals (6% of 960) who are left pending will receive a waitlist letter from UW.

(Edited to reflect 2400 applicants)
Last edited by Rsrcht on Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tralinds

New

Post by tralinds » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:38 pm

My acceptance letter stated that they got 2400 applications for 180 positions. Don't know what that means for how many people they send acceptances to, though.

Rsrcht

Bronze

Post by Rsrcht » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:46 pm

tralinds wrote:My acceptance letter stated that they got 2400 applications for 180 positions. Don't know what that means for how many people they send acceptances to, though.
That is about 8 more applicants than last year.

HipHopAPotamus

New

Post by HipHopAPotamus » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:47 pm

tralinds wrote:My acceptance letter stated that they got 2400 applications for 180 positions. Don't know what that means for how many people they send acceptances to, though.
Last year they accepted 601 of 2392 applicants, so should be about same this year.

tvaddicted

Bronze

Post by tvaddicted » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:51 pm

From looking at LSN, last year the only people who were accepted after February were those who were waitlisted...does this mean anything for this year's applicants who have not heard back yet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rsrcht

Bronze

Post by Rsrcht » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:53 pm

tvaddicted wrote:From looking at LSN, last year the only people who were accepted after February were those who were waitlisted...does this mean anything for this year's applicants who have not heard back yet?
History is usually a good indicator...unfortunately.

tvaddicted

Bronze

Post by tvaddicted » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:54 pm

Rsrcht wrote:
tvaddicted wrote:From looking at LSN, last year the only people who were accepted after February were those who were waitlisted...does this mean anything for this year's applicants who have not heard back yet?
*sigh*, well let's hope for a miracle.

HipHopAPotamus

New

Post by HipHopAPotamus » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:56 pm

Everyone says its been an odd year for admissions, since schools were expecting a larger volume of applicants than they actually got so decisions may be coming later.
I wouldn't put too much stock in last year's timeline, but UW is hard to figure out.

Marmot

Bronze

Post by Marmot » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:58 pm

I would consider making the waitlist a minor triumph.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pedal

New

Post by pedal » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:01 am

Rsrcht wrote:
It's nearing the end of February and I haven't yet seen anyone report being waitlisted. (It's possible I've overlooked this as I have been trying not to obsess on this thread. Pfft.)

I'm (hopefully) thinking history may not be repeating itself this cycle. Or, if this is the case, that I go to decision tomorrow.

rwong11

New

Post by rwong11 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:59 pm

Is it generally a bad sign if you haven't heard anything back by now?

Marmot

Bronze

Post by Marmot » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:08 pm

I'm seriously considering sending a LOCI, although it's probably a couple of weeks too early to do so.

Rsrcht

Bronze

Post by Rsrcht » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:44 pm

We have another month before they finish. I have to believe that someone will receive an acceptance letter between now and April 1. I also believe LSN is self selecting, and so its representation of the overall applicant pool is in question.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”