University of Washington

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
seattlite

Re: University of Washington

Postby seattlite » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:06 pm

newcritic wrote: My wife and I have a three month old - I would like to walk/ride transit to the school. Any suggestions on neighborhoods to check out or neighborhoods to avoid?

I think you should look at the Wedgwood / Viewridge / Bryant / Ravenna areas of Seattle. Basically, this means I would focus on NE Seattle but probably would not venture so far north as Maple Leaf (since that is getting further away from the school). These areas are really close to UW and have a lot of young families, public transportation, grad students, good biking trails to UW, accessibility to a nice mall (University Village), and are in a very good part of Seattle.

UW is in a really good location, but the area directly next to UW (University Ave) has a problem with homelessness. It is a very confined problem (unlike some cities like LA and NY), but I personally would not be feel comfortable living right there even though it is closer to campus, especially with a family (but I am older and so I am more cautious than I was in my younger days). I also think there is something to be said for living close but not right next to a big university with a big undergrad population...too much partying right next to campus (again, the reason I would recommend NE Seattle).

Just so you know, all of these areas (Wedgwood / Viewridge / Bryant / Ravenna) are within a 10 minute bus ride, a 5 minute drive, or a 20 minute bike ride of UW. A lot of professors and UW staff live in these areas too (along with Montlake, Laurelhurst, and Windermere, which are much more expensive).

Hope this helps. And congratulations on your acceptance at UW! Does this mean you are going there?

If so, I think you will like Seattle...it is a very enjoyable, livable city and a great place to settle down and raise a family (as long as you don't mind gray skies and sprinkling...because that is most of the rain we get...in the form of sprinkles). Some people struggle with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) here, but I have not had any problems...but that is something to think about if you are from a sunny climate.

Anyway, if you are planning on going to UW, I hope and pray that I will be joining you and everyone else going there this fall. :)

Marmot

Postby Marmot » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:41 pm

newcritic wrote:My wife and I have a three month old - I would like to walk/ride transit to the school. Any suggestions on neighborhoods to check out or neighborhoods to avoid?

Gotta represent my old neighborhood. Wallingford is quite close to UW and typically has good houses for rent at reasonable cost. It's very residential, but shops/bank/grocery store are in walking distance. It's a 5 minute bus ride or 25 minute walk to the UW campus.

bgc

Postby bgc » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:42 pm

Marmot wrote:Gotta represent my old neighborhood. Wallingford is quite close to UW and typically has good houses for rent at reasonable cost. It's very residential, but shops/bank/grocery store are in walking distance. It's a 5 minute bus ride or 25 minute walk to the UW campus.

FOOD GIANT ftw!

bhut13

Postby bhut13 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:33 pm

newcritic wrote:
WAHiker wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
WAHiker wrote:"Decision" as of yesterday, waiting on the mail...

Best of luck!

Thanks hawkeye. It's about a block from our apartment, so that would be convenient.

Given our proximity to the school for the last few years, we know the area pretty well.
If anyone has any questions about the Seattle area, don't hesitate to ask!

My wife and I have a three month old - I would like to walk/ride transit to the school. Any suggestions on neighborhoods to check out or neighborhoods to avoid?

you might also want to check it out around U-village just down the hill from the campus...15 min walk/short drive

WAHiker

Postby WAHiker » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:56 pm

I'd second seattleite's statement about neighborhoods, though I wouldn't go too far into Ravenna. There are a lot of chavs that live there and can sometimes bother people on the street. I'd also avoid the area near the frats. The students are fine, and the parties aren't too loud, but that's the primary area for crime because non-students come there to crash parties and victimize drunk students.

Wallingford is also a great neighborhood, but pretty expensive these days.

We used to live about 200 feet from the law school, near University Ave (The Ave), and never had issues with homeless folks. The police have a pretty hard-line attitude about the homeless near campus, so they're generally seen but not heard, and it's always the same four or five guys. After a while you get on nodding terms with one another and they don't really ask you for change anymore.
If you're moving with kids, I'd strongly suggest living in Bellevue, about 15-30 minutes by car (depending on traffic) because it has three or four of the top public schools in the country, rents are relatively cheap outside of the center, and it's generally very safe (as is the whole metro, really).
The UW also has family-priority housing for a very reasonable price right near two grocery stores and a handful of parks, but other apartments nearby are fairly well priced too. Sand Point is a great neighborhood with kids as well, and bus service is regular and free for students.

rubies

Postby rubies » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:58 am

n4sir1999 wrote:
n4sir1999 wrote:
emoticons777 wrote:My status checker says “In Review” 1/19/09. But it also says “Decision Letter” 2/6/09. It’s the 4th . . . what does this mean?!? I know I’ve turned crazy, but seriously?

me too...

decision letter sent 02/06

I just called about this and the lady told me: "I'm not sure how/why you're seeing that, but I'm guessing you'll get a letter next week"

what does that mean?

same here. status says in review but decision is supposedly mailed. weird and a bit disconcerting. =/

nepgoon

Postby nepgoon » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:13 pm

In via letter over the weekend.

Decision 1/26
Letter 1/30 (postmarked 2/2)

tom1986

Postby tom1986 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:14 pm

Hey everyone, I feel the tensions mounting for all you "Decision Letter - Mailed" 2/6. I am also a status checker/victim of the letters from the future. I really hate sundays because of the whole no mail situation...

So, hopefully we will all know by tomorrow (Mon) right? I live in Nor Cal so it might take longer. but seeing as it came from the future i hope it gets here soon.

I do have a question though for fellow 2/6 peeps. What does it mean when my status checker says "decision letter" TWICE?? i've been overanalyzing this for days. It could be because I applied for the PSL scholarship, but I dunno.

good luck everyone!

TheRyanocerous

Postby TheRyanocerous » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:59 am

I feel like the 2/6 decisions may be rejects... hopefully not because I am one but I don't have a particularly good feeling about it...

bingo

Postby bingo » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:13 am

for those w. 2/6 decision letters -- is everyone still "in review"?

n4sir1999

Postby n4sir1999 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:30 am

bingo wrote:for those w. 2/6 decision letters -- is everyone still "in review"?

yeah

rubies

Postby rubies » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:42 am

bingo wrote:for those w. 2/6 decision letters -- is everyone still "in review"?

yup.

newcritic

Postby newcritic » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:21 pm

Thank you all for the info about neighborhoods around UW - I've lived on the eastside all my life and actually know Portland much better than I know Seattle, alas....

I've also heard that people can find good homes in places like Ballard and Bothel - is that your experience? Would public transportation be available/convenient from those places?

Good luck to 2/6 crowd!

MaiKleenex

Postby MaiKleenex » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:22 pm

going to go visit, never been west of the Mississippi.......I'm nervous :oops:

TheRyanocerous

Postby TheRyanocerous » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:30 pm

MaiKleenex wrote:going to go visit, never been west of the Mississippi.......I'm nervous :oops:

The fronteir teritories are a scary place... Just make sure you check your six shooter with the marshal before you head down to the saloon... I think you will be alright in Seattle...

Marmot

Postby Marmot » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:34 pm

newcritic wrote:Thank you all for the info about neighborhoods around UW - I've lived on the eastside all my life and actually know Portland much better than I know Seattle, alas....

I've also heard that people can find good homes in places like Ballard and Bothel - is that your experience? Would public transportation be available/convenient from those places?

Good luck to 2/6 crowd!

Bothell/Kenmore would be doable with a car, I suppose, but rush hour can get pretty bad going to and from Seattle. Ballard is an easier car or bike commute, and there's a bus that runs from the main drag there right to the UW campus.

bgc

Postby bgc » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:38 pm

newcritic wrote:I've also heard that people can find good homes in places like Ballard and Bothell - is that your experience? Would public transportation be available/convenient from those places?

Bothell is a hike but possible. My parents lived there when my dad was doing his PhD at UW. You can ride a bike all the way to the U on the B-G Trail, which helps.

Ballard is nice but it wouldn't be cheap the way Bothell could be. I would probably live in Ballard or on Capitol Hill.

lombokorbali

Postby lombokorbali » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:54 pm

"Decision" is now up on my status checker, dated 2/11. I have been in review since 1/21. Judging by the previous posts on this thread, doesn't look like I'll actually receive my letter for another week or so probably...so more waiting!

WAHiker

Postby WAHiker » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:08 pm

bgc wrote:
newcritic wrote:I've also heard that people can find good homes in places like Ballard and Bothell - is that your experience? Would public transportation be available/convenient from those places?

Bothell is a hike but possible. My parents lived there when my dad was doing his PhD at UW. You can ride a bike all the way to the U on the B-G Trail, which helps.

Ballard is nice but it wouldn't be cheap the way Bothell could be. I would probably live in Ballard or on Capitol Hill.

I'll third this. Plus, there's an express bus that runs from Marysville (way north) all the way to campus, and picks up at Lynnwood and a couple other places with park-and-rides. It's also free for students, and I hear they have wifi now.

Ballard is great, but can be really pricey if you're on the east of the Chittenden locks. If you're on the further side of Ballard you can get a good place, but the prices are about the same as somewhere closer to campus.

Greenlake is good for singles that want to be close, but not broke, too. I'd say it's probably hit and miss for families though. There isn't a lot of great playspace, and the cars drive pretty fast there.

Fup

Postby Fup » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:59 pm

bgc wrote:
Marmot wrote:Gotta represent my old neighborhood. Wallingford is quite close to UW and typically has good houses for rent at reasonable cost. It's very residential, but shops/bank/grocery store are in walking distance. It's a 5 minute bus ride or 25 minute walk to the UW campus.

FOOD GIANT ftw!

I miss Food Giant.

tom1986

Postby tom1986 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:16 pm

My father in law moved out of Seattle and into Des Moines, which is just South of there. As far as I heard from him, he saves a ton of money on rent and enjoys being just outside the hustle and bustle of Seattle. He can walk to the beach (rocky, beautiful NW beach) from his house. Yet Seattle is real close. In my opinion, it is a place to consider, depending on if people want the big city or small town feel. If I get into UW, I will def check out places near the campus, first. It would def. be more expensive and prob. lookin at a small apt., but being able to walk/bike to campus would be great.

crystalhawkeye

Postby crystalhawkeye » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:31 pm

tom1986 wrote:My father in law moved out of Seattle and into Des Moines, which is just South of there. As far as I heard from him, he saves a ton of money on rent and enjoys being just outside the hustle and bustle of Seattle. He can walk to the beach (rocky, beautiful NW beach) from his house. Yet Seattle is real close. In my opinion, it is a place to consider, depending on if people want the big city or small town feel. If I get into UW, I will def check out places near the campus, first. It would def. be more expensive and prob. lookin at a small apt., but being able to walk/bike to campus would be great.

I thought you meant Iowa and was going to wonder what beaches he was talking about.

sigmachiev

Postby sigmachiev » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:47 pm

Lemme chime in here since I did my UG at UW.

If you have a family, Ravenna is a particularly good option. The others are getting a little far away from campus. I'd also throw in Greenlake. That's where I live now and it has everything, it's clean, and it's about five minutes away. It's actually shocking how different it is from the general campus neighborhoods considering how close it is.

EDIT: Gotta disagree about Greenlake not having play space for kids. The neighborhood is designed around a freakin' park.

I lived about five blocks off the Ave in Greek Land during my undergrad. I'd say the Ave has a homeless element but not a problem. You might see three or four on a given day on the actual strip and there are always patrol cars around. Also to keep in mind that if you've got a family, there are pockets of housing maybe six blocks north of campus where the partying essentially ends and it's quiet. Look for housing around 50th and 20th, and beyond.

As for what to expect, UW is very much a commuter school so the on-campus activities are pretty mild. I for one like the Ave a lot just because it's so convenient to get a meal or school supplies. But I'm having trouble picturing a law student hitting the bars there, except maybe a couple that are past 43rd. Whatever you do, if you go to Earls, don't get the AMF or their version of a Long Island unless you're actively trying to black out. U Village is pricey but the QFC there is pretty great. Also be prepared to deal with a lot of people biking to work. I'd say be prepared for rain too but it's been unusually dry this winter. Also, if it snows two inches Seattle shuts down and people here cannot figure out how to drive safely.

WAHiker

Postby WAHiker » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:28 pm

On the Greenlake thing- yeah, there's the lake park, but I was (not clearly enough) referring to playspace in neighborhood areas- like where a gaggle of kids could safely go and play with only one parent around.
There don't seem to be a lot of kid-centered playgrounds, and I wouldn't feel too comfy letting my kid go play at Greenlake with a bunch of other kids and without a lot of other parents present. (There's a lot of creepster traffic). Besides, there's a highway between the park and the much more affordable apartments in Phinney...
Really, though, it's pretty hard to go wrong with housing within a reasonable distance to campus. Plus, many apartments do 3 and 6 month rental agreements, so you can move fairly quickly if you find a better neighborhood.

newcritic

Postby newcritic » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:21 pm

WAHiker wrote:On the Greenlake thing- yeah, there's the lake park, but I was (not clearly enough) referring to playspace in neighborhood areas- like where a gaggle of kids could safely go and play with only one parent around.
There don't seem to be a lot of kid-centered playgrounds, and I wouldn't feel too comfy letting my kid go play at Greenlake with a bunch of other kids and without a lot of other parents present. (There's a lot of creepster traffic). Besides, there's a highway between the park and the much more affordable apartments in Phinney...
Really, though, it's pretty hard to go wrong with housing within a reasonable distance to campus. Plus, many apartments do 3 and 6 month rental agreements, so you can move fairly quickly if you find a better neighborhood.

What should I be expecting for rent or house prices? We're leaving Pasco on the eastside where property values are comparatively low. Plus, if I end up at UW, I will be looking for work in the Oregon I5 corridor, so it would be great to have a house that was moveable or a reasonable rent and sock away some cash.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”