University of Washington

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
apicelp

Re: University of Washington

Postby apicelp » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:32 pm

secondshiaprince wrote:
leron wrote:apparently, it's bad news if you haven't gone to decision yet

Maybe this is just some arrogance... but, I I have a 167 / 3.58 and I'm still in review from 1/15. Maybe they are rejecting or waitlisting me (YP?) but I imagine that if I told them I was definitely going that they'd let me in? And I'm mentioning this mainly to show that there are still some people (out of state for me) wayy above their mean who have not gone to decision.

Are your numbers even in YP territory?

tvaddicted

Postby tvaddicted » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:38 pm

ivesetsail wrote:I'm not sure that I've seen anyone else match my status checker history:

complete on 11/20
in review on 12/2
in review on 1/14

What do you suppose that means, has anyone else had their "in review" date change with no other update or mail correspondence?

Yeah, many people have. Mine changed from in review 1/9 to in review 1/23...still in review 1/23. as other people have posted, i think it has something to do with coding of the applications.

secondshiaprince

Postby secondshiaprince » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:40 pm

apicelp wrote:
secondshiaprince wrote:

Maybe this is just some arrogance... but, I I have a 167 / 3.58 and I'm still in review from 1/15. Maybe they are rejecting or waitlisting me (YP?) but I imagine that if I told them I was definitely going that they'd let me in? And I'm mentioning this mainly to show that there are still some people (out of state for me) wayy above their mean who have not gone to decision.

2 above the 75th percentile for LSAT... around Median for GPA... I don't fully know. But, they have to know that people with my numbers are consistently getting into BU/BC/Fordham/GW. The bigger factor might be out of state.... that someone with my numbers from out of state who didn't write anything in my essay tailored to UW might not come... or, that maybe they just take much higher numbers from out of state.

tvaddicted

Postby tvaddicted » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:41 pm

apicelp wrote:
secondshiaprince wrote:

His/her gpa is below the median (3.65) but the lsat is 2 points above 75 percentile.

tvaddicted

Postby tvaddicted » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:46 pm

secondshiaprince wrote:
apicelp wrote:
secondshiaprince wrote:

2 above the 75th percentile for LSAT... around Median for GPA... I don't fully know. But, they have to know that people with my numbers are consistently getting into BU/BC/Fordham/GW. The bigger factor might be out of state.... that someone with my numbers from out of state who didn't write anything in my essay tailored to UW might not come... or, that maybe they just take much higher numbers from out of state.

Yeah, that is what I am afraid of too. I am also out of state and have similar numbers to you, but UW is high on my list of schools. They also take a very wholistic approach to admissions, so numbers aren't everything to them.

secondshiaprince

Postby secondshiaprince » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:50 pm

tvaddicted wrote:His/her gpa is below the median (3.65) but the lsat is 2 points above 75 percentile.

I made that guess after the talks over at UW-Madison and people with my LSAT / GPA being waitlisted and they suggested yield protection. I suppose UWash is both higher in LSAT and GPA than I had realized which makes it less likely YP than at Madison. Not trying to have an inflated opinion of myself (not that I could after my rejections...) but just curious how it seems there are a few people out and about getting into T25 no problems but not into UW, Madison, American...

tvaddicted wrote:Yeah, that is what I am afraid of too. I am also out of state and have similar numbers to you, but UW is high on my list of schools. They also take a very wholistic approach to admissions, so numbers aren't everything to them.

Well, if you know you'd take an acceptance then telling them might help (according to some others around here). I won't drop out before a decision but if I get waitlisted I probably would. And they might take a wholistic approach but it takes a lot of wholistic to beat numbers for any school... then again, maybe this attitude is why they haven't told me anything yet :)

gsquared86

Postby gsquared86 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:34 am

secondshiaprince wrote:
tvaddicted wrote:His/her gpa is below the median (3.65) but the lsat is 2 points above 75 percentile.

I made that guess after the talks over at UW-Madison and people with my LSAT / GPA being waitlisted and they suggested yield protection. I suppose UWash is both higher in LSAT and GPA than I had realized which makes it less likely YP than at Madison. Not trying to have an inflated opinion of myself (not that I could after my rejections...) but just curious how it seems there are a few people out and about getting into T25 no problems but not into UW, Madison, American...

tvaddicted wrote:Yeah, that is what I am afraid of too. I am also out of state and have similar numbers to you, but UW is high on my list of schools. They also take a very wholistic approach to admissions, so numbers aren't everything to them.

Well, if you know you'd take an acceptance then telling them might help (according to some others around here). I won't drop out before a decision but if I get waitlisted I probably would. And they might take a wholistic approach but it takes a lot of wholistic to beat numbers for any school... then again, maybe this attitude is why they haven't told me anything yet :)

According to the UWash website, 166 was the 75th percentile last year. However, ILRG states it as 165. Either way, 3.58 is right around the 25th percentile according to the school website, and UWash seems to be more of a GPA-focused school than some of the others. Add the out-of-state status to that, and in my view it seems like this probably isn't a YP move. You'll get to choose from many great schools regardless.

secondshiaprince

Postby secondshiaprince » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:45 am

gsquared86 wrote:According to the UWash website, 166 was the 75th percentile last year. However, ILRG states it as 165. Either way, 3.58 is right around the 25th percentile according to the school website, and UWash seems to be more of a GPA-focused school than some of the others. Add the out-of-state status to that, and in my view it seems like this probably isn't a YP move. You'll get to choose from many great schools regardless.

It was definitely too early to call that for UWash although I think it probably is on UW-Madison. I'd have to get a lot of money to go to UWash if for no other reason than I'm an East Coaster. Good luck to everyone getting in.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:16 pm

I got the letter last night. Pretty excited. Before I got the acceptance I was thinking that some of the other schools I had gotten in to would remain in consideration even if I got in at UW, but now that I'm actually in I'm pretty sure it is where I will be going.

The scholarship application process is quite different than anything I have seen from other schools. The chance to write what sounds a little like another personal statement for scholarship purposes is pretty cool and I think it can only improve my chances of decent scholarship money.

Congrats to everyone else who is in, and good luck to the rest.

emoticons777

Postby emoticons777 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:22 pm

So to kill a dead horse, and bring back up this letter from the future thing:
My hopes: Acceptance
My hopeful reality: A decision letter will be mailed saying 'waitlist' or 'hold', which is why technically a decision has not been made yet.

newcritic

Postby newcritic » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:29 pm

Anyone seen Real Genius? The scene during the study montage where the dude freaks out and screams and runs out of the lounge? That is so not what I want to be, yet that seems to be the particular Bethlehem to which I am slouching at the moment.

TheRyanocerous

Postby TheRyanocerous » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:45 pm

emoticons777 wrote:So to kill a dead horse, and bring back up this letter from the future thing:
My hopeful reality: A decision letter will be mailed saying 'waitlist' or 'hold', which is why technically a decision has not been made yet.

When you look at LSN from last year they sent out rejections, waitlists and acceptances all at the same time it could really be anything...

emoticons777

Postby emoticons777 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:46 pm

TheRyanocerous wrote:
emoticons777 wrote:So to kill a dead horse, and bring back up this letter from the future thing:

When you look at LSN from last year they sent out rejections, waitlists and acceptances all at the same time it could really be anything...

You're not being very hopeful.

WAsRuralTransplant

Postby WAsRuralTransplant » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:49 pm

In last night by snail mail...

TheRyanocerous

Postby TheRyanocerous » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:51 pm

emoticons777 wrote:
TheRyanocerous wrote:

You're not being very hopeful.

LOL... true... I'm just trying to temper this unbridled optimism with a nice dose of reality... an acceptance would make my decade though...

newcritic

Postby newcritic » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:16 pm

WAsRuralTransplant wrote:In last night by snail mail...

Viva Cashmere!

MaiKleenex

Postby MaiKleenex » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:21 pm

In today via snailmail dated January 30th. The letter also said that they have received over 2400 applications for the 180 positions in the class. Good luck everyone! It seems only good news has come down the pipe so far.

mrdal

Postby mrdal » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:22 pm

newcritic wrote:Anyone seen Real Genius? The scene during the study montage where the dude freaks out and screams and runs out of the lounge? That is so not what I want to be, yet that seems to be the particular Bethlehem to which I am slouching at the moment.

Nice work to weave vintage Val Kilmer with Yeats. Well done.

rwong11

Postby rwong11 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:37 pm

What's the general thinking on those of us still in review, but not "decision made"?

And has anyone gone from review to decision in recent days?

newcritic

Postby newcritic » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:10 pm

I'm in! Letter arrived today, dated Feb. 3. I went to decision on 1/25.

TheRyanocerous

Postby TheRyanocerous » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:13 pm

newcritic wrote:I'm in! Letter arrived today, dated Feb. 3. I went to decision on 1/25.

Congrats! way to go

newcritic

Postby newcritic » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:16 pm

TheRyanocerous wrote:
newcritic wrote:I'm in! Letter arrived today, dated Feb. 3. I went to decision on 1/25.

Congrats! way to go

I didn't expect to have much of a chance (U-Dub casts such a large shadow). I woke my daughter up when I opened the letter.

TheRyanocerous

Postby TheRyanocerous » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:20 pm

newcritic wrote:
TheRyanocerous wrote:

Congrats! way to go

I didn't expect to have much of a chance (U-Dub casts such a large shadow). I woke my daughter up when I opened the letter.

I would have done a lot more than woken people up if I had recieved that letter... It would have been complete mayhem for everyone within 100 yard of me.

bingo

Postby bingo » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:09 pm

rwong11 wrote:What's the general thinking on those of us still in review, but not "decision made"?

I'm not sure what to think. There are LOTS of folks on LSN who look like really strong candidates who haven't heard anything yet and who went complete earlier than people who've recently been admitted. I think that "in review" really means just that. (Although I do wish there was some way to divine the logic of these things!) Looking at last year's cycle I don't see a whole lot in the way of a pattern.

AHouseDivided

Postby AHouseDivided » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:51 pm

bingo wrote:
rwong11 wrote:What's the general thinking on those of us still in review, but not "decision made"?

I'm not sure what to think. There are LOTS of folks on LSN who look like really strong candidates who haven't heard anything yet and who went complete earlier than people who've recently been admitted. I think that "in review" really means just that. (Although I do wish there was some way to divine the logic of these things!) Looking at last year's cycle I don't see a whole lot in the way of a pattern.

Who knows. I'm in at #22, #25, #27, #32, but I am a splitter and might be in or out at Washington. I think we all need to hold our collective breath and see what the decisions (now sent in the present, lol) say.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”