University of Washington

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Rocky Estoppel

Re: University of Washington

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:46 pm

I've talked to my undergraduate school and given them the Dean's form a couple of weeks ago. I hope they got it out before the 15th, but what if they didn't? If they got it out on the 16th or 17th will they just not review my file? Will they burn it and laugh "haha, what a loser!" :(

I hope I go complete soon.

ben1185

Postby ben1185 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:38 pm

kak23 wrote:I've talked to my undergraduate school and given them the Dean's form a couple of weeks ago. I hope they got it out before the 15th, but what if they didn't? If they got it out on the 16th or 17th will they just not review my file? Will they burn it and laugh "haha, what a loser!" :(

Even if something happens you might be ok. If you don;t get a complete email in the next week i would call UW and explain the circumstances. Most schools will continue to take apps after the deadline, they just give them a lower priority... though if you explained your (possible) case they might make an exception.

TwinA

Postby TwinA » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:34 pm

I was so happy when I saw "In Review" today...but apparently that doesn't mean much :(

crystalhawkeye

Postby crystalhawkeye » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:35 pm

TwinA wrote:I was so happy when I saw "In Review" today...but apparently that doesn't mean much :(

Nope, sorry. Been there since 12/2.

Rocky Estoppel

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:01 am

ben1185 wrote:
kak23 wrote:I've talked to my undergraduate school and given them the Dean's form a couple of weeks ago. I hope they got it out before the 15th, but what if they didn't? If they got it out on the 16th or 17th will they just not review my file? Will they burn it and laugh "haha, what a loser!" :(

Even if something happens you might be ok. If you don;t get a complete email in the next week i would call UW and explain the circumstances. Most schools will continue to take apps after the deadline, they just give them a lower priority... though if you explained your (possible) case they might make an exception.

I went complete via email tonight. :D

ClemsonGrad

Postby ClemsonGrad » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:03 am

Does anyone know how to reset their status checker password? I forgot mine and don't know the answer to my hint question.

google

Postby google » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:20 am

Also 'In Review' since 12/2, went Complete on 11/17.

pedal

Postby pedal » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:24 pm

"Complete" just yesterday and "in review" today! ....this means nothing, I know. But I am still excited about it!

ClemsonGrad

Postby ClemsonGrad » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:49 pm

Finally found my password. "In Review" since 12/2. After looking at the numbers of some of you guys, I don't think I'm getting in with a 163/3.65.

Rsrcht

Postby Rsrcht » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:52 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:While I agree with you on your main point, ben, not every UG is that cooperative. I had to hand deliever mine to my Dean of Students twice before he even filled it out. Then I called a week later to find out he hadn't finished it but didn't let me know. Then I had to go back to see him, take the form to a different department so they could finish it, and then back to him to inform him that he had to send it himself. Another week and a half later, my file was finally complete.

So while I agree one should put forth the effort, sometimes there's more needed than 15 mins worth.

Some schools delegate this task to office workers, which makes hunting down the Dean much less of a hastle.

n4sir1999

Postby n4sir1999 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:07 pm

ClemsonGrad wrote:Finally found my password. "In Review" since 12/2. After looking at the numbers of some of you guys, I don't think I'm getting in with a 163/3.65.

how do u think that makes me feel with a 163/2.9

ClemsonGrad

Postby ClemsonGrad » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:21 pm

It seems like the numbers needed to get into most schools have risen a great deal this year.

nepgoon

Postby nepgoon » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:24 pm

Does anyone have any idea about UW merit-based aid? I didn't apply for Gates (thanks, but I'll keep those 5 years of my life) but my numbers have gotten me some $ at higher ranked schools (all private). Anyone heard from admissions/fin. aid about what kind of dough they throw out? Or, in general, merit-aid at a public vs. a private? I would assume publics would hand out proportionately less (accountability to taxpayers, regents, etc.)

EDIT

And by this I mean GPA/LSAT thresholds and dollar amounts.

tvaddicted

Postby tvaddicted » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:51 pm

nepgoon wrote:Does anyone have any idea about UW merit-based aid? I didn't apply for Gates (thanks, but I'll keep those 5 years of my life) but my numbers have gotten me some $ at higher ranked schools (all private). Anyone heard from admissions/fin. aid about what kind of dough they throw out? Or, in general, merit-aid at a public vs. a private? I would assume publics would hand out proportionately less (accountability to taxpayers, regents, etc.)

EDIT

And by this I mean GPA/LSAT thresholds and dollar amounts.

Yeah, does anyone know how generous the school is usually? Do they give in-state tuition to those who have high numbers?

Rsrcht

Postby Rsrcht » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:13 am

Their website mentions financial aid only in terms of need. That doesn't mean they don't give out merit-based aid. But since they are a state university, their budget may be tighter than private schools.

nepgoon

Postby nepgoon » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:57 pm

Any ideas on why Washington seems to be one of the only public schools that doesn't grant residency to law students after 1L? Seems slightly ridiculous . . .

luckygehrig

Postby luckygehrig » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:57 pm

/
Last edited by luckygehrig on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nepgoon

Postby nepgoon » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:17 pm

luckygehrig wrote:I met with someone in Admissions last year and she said that while the Legislature had tightened up the rules for gaining residency, it was still quite easy for law school students to attain it after their first year.

From the UWSL website:

"To be classified or reclassified as residents, for tuition and fee purposes, students must establish a bona fide domicile in the state of Washington primarily for purposes other than education for the period of one year immediately prior to classification as residents.

Nonresident students who are enrolled for more than 6 credits a quarter will be presumed to be in the state of Washington for primarily educational purposes. Such period of enrollment shall not be counted toward the establishment of a bona fide domicile of one year in this state unless the students prove they have, in fact, established a bona fide domicile in this state primarily for purposes other than education"

Any thoughts on how LS students can circumvent this?

WAHiker

Postby WAHiker » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:23 pm

It is really difficult to get the school to modify your residency. My wife is from CT and had been out of school for a couple of quarters since moving to WA and they didn't want to consider her a resident. They didn't reconsider until I threatened to pull us both out of school there because I wasn't willing to pay the tuition. I don't know how this would translate for the law school, but I'm sure you'll have to be pretty tenacious to get it.

luckygehrig

Postby luckygehrig » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:48 pm

/
Last edited by luckygehrig on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nepgoon

Postby nepgoon » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:06 pm

Okay, I'll definitely do that. Wouldn't want to miss out on the best law school bargain out there. Watch them trick me: "oh sure, you can get residency next year no problem" (FF 12 months) "That'll be another $29,000 please."

luckygehrig

Postby luckygehrig » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:31 pm

/
Last edited by luckygehrig on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bingo

Postby bingo » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:21 pm

Anyone heard anything yet?

nepgoon

Postby nepgoon » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:30 pm

Went to "Decision" on status checker yesterday.

tvaddicted

Postby tvaddicted » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:33 pm

nepgoon wrote:Went to "Decision" on status checker yesterday.

When did you go complete?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”