University of Washington Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
williamholden1

New

University of Washington

Post by williamholden1 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:04 pm

Anybody know historically how fast UW begins accepting people after its Jan. 15th deadline?

WAsRuralTransplant

New

Re: University of Washington

Post by WAsRuralTransplant » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:10 pm

No, but I hope they have some stockpile of people that they've secretly already decided on, so I can get this show on the road. UW is my home school, and it's near the top of my list barring some ridiculous financial aid from a T10 (which probably won't happen).

williamholden1

New

Post by williamholden1 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Yeah, I'm aching. I've got into some schools, but I love the NW. And, frankly, I'd be happy to let anyone else have the NYU's and the Cornell's and all the NY big law they can swallow. I'm about the quality of life.

bingo

New

Post by bingo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:17 pm

I think they are moving somewhat more slowly this year relative to previous years, so I'm not sure the historical info is that helpful. It my top choice, too, so I'm anxious to learn when they start making decisions! They "officially" start to review on January 1 (although there's some anecdotal evidence that they actually begin the process even earlier). good luck!

LSATahhhh

New

Post by LSATahhhh » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:19 pm

Complete emails were sent out today.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tvaddicted

Bronze

Post by tvaddicted » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:20 pm

http://washington.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0708/

The link is to last year's cycle (07-08)....and it seems as if some people were notified BEFORE Jan. 15...but for those accepted after the deadline, it seems like it was a pretty quick turnover, anywhere from two days to over a month.

LSATahhhh

New

Post by LSATahhhh » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:17 pm

tvaddicted wrote:http://washington.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0708/

The link is to last year's cycle (07-08)....and it seems as if some people were notified BEFORE Jan. 15...but for those accepted after the deadline, it seems like it was a pretty quick turnover, anywhere from two days to over a month.
wow! wonder why they are so slow nowdays.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:38 pm

LSATahhhh wrote:
tvaddicted wrote:http://washington.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0708/

wow! wonder why they are so slow nowdays.
I dunno, maybe the slight disruption from a blizzard and then flooding, both so bad they shut down air, rail and auto traffic in the area, over the winter break? Just perhaps?

LSATahhhh

New

Post by LSATahhhh » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:50 pm

In Review today.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JustWannaGetIn

New

Post by JustWannaGetIn » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:08 pm

I've been "in review" since Dec 1st....so don't get your hopes up....

WAsRuralTransplant

New

Post by WAsRuralTransplant » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:41 pm

Any news from UW??? I'm really interested in this decision, and they're WAY behind what they did last cycle.

tvaddicted

Bronze

Post by tvaddicted » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:46 pm

I know, I cannot wait anymore....I just hope they start sending out decisions this week at least.

ben1185

New

Post by ben1185 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:01 pm

They will send out the first round of acceptances next Monday.

If you ask me how I know this I'll have to kill you...

Actually I have no idea, but as long as it's before March I'll be happy. It's not like I'm making a decision about where I'm going before then...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:12 pm

JustWannaGetIn wrote:I've been "in review" since Dec 1st....so don't get your hopes up....
Since 12/2, here.

J Mack

New

Post by J Mack » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:16 pm

I never sent in my Deans certificate, too much of a hassle, got an email stating they need that, guess my file isn't complete, I think UW was a reach anyway. Ah well.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:18 pm

J Mack wrote:I never sent in my Deans certificate, too much of a hassle, got an email stating they need that, guess my file isn't complete, I think UW was a reach anyway. Ah well.
Hassle, yes. Necessary, ehhhh... Annoying to get sent? HELL YES.

J Mack

New

Post by J Mack » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:28 pm

yeah unfortunately i moved from Memphis where I got my undergrad right after graduation, it was a hassle trying to get it all done on the other side of the country so i said screw it, i want to go to a more laid back less competative school anyway (definite truth to that statement but also it was a reach)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ben1185

New

Post by ben1185 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:39 pm

Googled my schools transcript office phone number and fax (1 min)
Printed Dean's Cert (1 min)
Typed up a simple 3-4 sentence request with direction on what to do, included asking them to inform me by email when the cert was sent (5 min)
Faxed the pages to the office 2800 miles away (3 mins)
Called the office to make sure they received them (2-3 mins).

Got the email reply back about a week later.

<15 minutes isn't too big a deal to invest in your future... If you don;t want to take the time then you aren't seriously considering going to UW. I think they're fine with not having to look at non serious apps...

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:42 pm

While I agree with you on your main point, ben, not every UG is that cooperative. I had to hand deliever mine to my Dean of Students twice before he even filled it out. Then I called a week later to find out he hadn't finished it but didn't let me know. Then I had to go back to see him, take the form to a different department so they could finish it, and then back to him to inform him that he had to send it himself. Another week and a half later, my file was finally complete.

So while I agree one should put forth the effort, sometimes there's more needed than 15 mins worth.

J Mack

New

Post by J Mack » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:50 pm

yeah after the third fax and about fifth unreturned phone call i said screw it, i'll get into Seattle no prob, my main goal is to just live in that area

WAsRuralTransplant

New

Post by WAsRuralTransplant » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:58 pm

J Mack wrote:yeah after the third fax and about fifth unreturned phone call i said screw it, i'll get into Seattle no prob, my main goal is to just live in that area
...and a valid goal that is. A native son of the Northwest, I'm a bit biased, but I'm hard-pressed to find a better place to live (after living in Los Angeles, DC, and Asia).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

J Mack

New

Post by J Mack » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:05 pm

WAsRuralTransplant wrote:
J Mack wrote:yeah after the third fax and about fifth unreturned phone call i said screw it, i'll get into Seattle no prob, my main goal is to just live in that area
...and a valid goal that is. A native son of the Northwest, I'm a bit biased, but I'm hard-pressed to find a better place to live (after living in Los Angeles, DC, and Asia).
see i'm from atlanta, got my undergrad in Memphis, absolutely love the PNW and the outdoors, gotta get outta the south, wanna end up in Western Seattle, Western Oregon,

should i tell UW thanks but no thanks at this point?

ben1185

New

Post by ben1185 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:15 pm

Yeah that just sucks... sorry to hear about that. I guess my undergrad has one good thing going for it. I would send a letter to UW explaining the circumstances... they might waive the requirement if you can prove you put forth effort (i.e. failed fax printouts, unsanswered emails, etc...). You'll find that while Seattle U is a great school, you'll have even more career options coming out of UW.

On a side note I'm from Upstate NY but have worked in Seattle the last 2 years and love it out here. It is a great place to live, and the rain isn't as bad as people make it sound. Good luck with the cycle.

J Mack

New

Post by J Mack » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:18 pm

ben1185 wrote:
Yeah that just sucks... sorry to hear about that. I guess my undergrad has one good thing going for it. I would send a letter to UW explaining the circumstances... they might waive the requirement if you can prove you put forth effort (i.e. failed fax printouts, unsanswered emails, etc...). You'll find that while Seattle U is a great school, you'll have even more career options coming out of UW.

On a side note I'm from Upstate NY but have worked in Seattle the last 2 years and love it out here. It is a great place to live, and the rain isn't as bad as people make it sound. Good luck with the cycle.
but is the career options thing true? what if i finish in top 20% at SU, but only managed to be top 50% at UW? all the while having a much more enjoyable experience in law school.

ben1185

New

Post by ben1185 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:21 pm

J Mack wrote:
ben1185 wrote:

but is the career options thing true? what if i finish in top 20% at SU, but only managed to be top 50% at UW? all the while having a much more enjoyable experience in law school.
I can't really comment on this since I haven't researched the schools very much. I'm pretty set on moving somewhere else and applied to UW as a semi-safety, in state tuition possibility, without looking into it too much. I'm sure you know more about it than I do and will make the correct choice. One point I would bring to your attention, is even at "easier" schools it's very tough to be at the top of your class. There's a lot of very smart people everywhere in the Top100. I'm sure you will be successful at either school though, especially if you want to practice in the PNW. Good Luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”