University of Washington Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Rsrcht

Bronze

Re: University of Washington

Post by Rsrcht » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:52 pm

My gpa is well above the 75%, my average lsat is exactly at 25% with a higher lsat score in December than October. My index score is about 49%.

I'm assuming that even though they will consider my average lsat score into their index score, a higher lsat score makes me more competitive...

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:10 pm

Rsrcht wrote:My gpa is well above the 75%, my average lsat is exactly at 25% with a higher lsat score in December than October. My index score is about 49%.

I'm assuming that even though they will consider my average lsat score into their index score, a higher lsat score makes me more competitive...
I have similar numbers - LSAT jus above 25th, GPA above 75th. I haven't seen many acceptances with my (our) LSAT, so I don't have a lot of hope. But you never know...

...not that I could afford Seattle, anyways.

Marmot

Bronze

Post by Marmot » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:40 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:...not that I could afford Seattle, anyways.
I hope you haven't applied to schools in any of the big cities. Seattle has high property values, but it's loads more affordable than NYC, LA, San Fran, Boston, or D.C.

tvaddicted

Bronze

Post by tvaddicted » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:02 pm

Marmot wrote:
I hope you haven't applied to schools in any of the big cities. Seattle has high property values, but it's loads more affordable than NYC, LA, San Fran, Boston, or D.C.
I have been reading a lot about how Seattle is highly unaffordable (re: real estate) and how many middle-class people cannot afford to live in the city anymore...so I was wondering in what other ways Seattle is more affordable than those other big cities (NYC, LA, SF, etc)? Because even though the cost of living is high in those big cities, people's incomes are usually higher. But the average median sector salary for UW is $85, 000, while that of BC(only 4 spots higher in the rankings) is $125,00. This would make Seattle seem more unaffordable, because the economy of the city does not seem as strong as the larger legal market cities, yet it still has a pretty high cost of living.

ben1185

New

Post by ben1185 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:05 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
Rsrcht wrote:My gpa is well above the 75%, my average lsat is exactly at 25% with a higher lsat score in December than October. My index score is about 49%.

I have similar numbers - LSAT jus above 25th, GPA above 75th. I haven't seen many acceptances with my (our) LSAT, so I don't have a lot of hope. But you never know...

...not that I could afford Seattle, anyways.
That's what loans are for. :-D

*Of course you need to calculate the return on investment vs. the debt load to decide if it's worth it. My guess is with in state tuition it is definitely worth it. Out of state it is probably worth it. Make sure you really research the schools salary data too as it's pretty easy to manipulate these.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

frotteur

New

Post by frotteur » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:20 pm

tvaddicted wrote:
Marmot wrote:
I have been reading a lot about how Seattle is highly unaffordable (re: real estate) and how many middle-class people cannot afford to live in the city anymore...so I was wondering in what other ways Seattle is more affordable than those other big cities (NYC, LA, SF, etc)? Because even though the cost of living is high in those big cities, people's incomes are usually higher. But the average median sector salary for UW is $85, 000, while that of BC(only 4 spots higher in the rankings) is $125,00. This would make Seattle seem more unaffordable, because the economy of the city does not seem as strong as the larger legal market cities, yet it still has a pretty high cost of living.
I have not heard of this (middle-class folk not being able to afford the city). Many of the suburb areas (Mercer Island, Bellevue, etc.) have much more expensive housing/living costs than many areas within Seattle. Of course, with Microsoft and Boeing beginning to slash jobs like crazy, those in the area may indeed be having a hard time affording where they are living. I would say that, in general, Seattle is/can be quite affordable.

emoticons777

Bronze

Post by emoticons777 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:04 pm

My status now says "In Review" as of 1/19/2009. I've been in review since December, and it was just updated now. I check this every day and the update date is 9 days ago . . .
Kind of odd...

tvaddicted

Bronze

Post by tvaddicted » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:10 pm

Yeah I just checked my status and it was initially 1/9, and now it is 1/23....

MaiKleenex

New

Post by MaiKleenex » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:12 pm

I just talked to them on the phone. It went to review 12/5 and then went to "decision".....dated 1/16. Apparently that is a 'coding date' and they will send out my letter at the end of this week. Hope this info helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tralinds

New

Post by tralinds » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm

Anyone know what the difference between "Incomplete" and "In Review" is? My status says incomplete--does that mean they are missing something for my app (dean's cert, perhaps :x )? Or does it just mean that they haven't started to review my app yet?

frotteur

New

Post by frotteur » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:28 pm

tralinds wrote:Anyone know what the difference between "Incomplete" and "In Review" is? My status says incomplete--does that mean they are missing something for my app (dean's cert, perhaps :x )? Or does it just mean that they haven't started to review my app yet?
Missing something.

MaiKleenex

New

Post by MaiKleenex » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:29 pm

from my understanding they do require a dean's certification

frotteur

New

Post by frotteur » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:30 pm

MaiKleenex wrote:from my understanding they do require a dean's certification
As far as I know, yup.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

emoticons777

Bronze

Post by emoticons777 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:48 pm

MaiKleenex wrote:I just talked to them on the phone. It went to review 12/5 and then went to "decision".....dated 1/16. Apparently that is a 'coding date' and they will send out my letter at the end of this week. Hope this info helps.
Coding dates? Does this mean that if you were updated on a certain date you're either in/out/wl?

MaiKleenex

New

Post by MaiKleenex » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:51 pm

Honestly I'm not sure. I have a 167 3.5 Ivy, but live in Philly and never have been west of the Mississippi. Hope this helps. I'm hoping for an admittance.

kalydscopeeyes

New

Post by kalydscopeeyes » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:47 pm

I have the same thing... today it changed, still "In review" but now 1/22 is the date (almost a week ago?) instead of 12/30 or whatever it said before. This happened to me yesterday with Lewis and Clark, too. Grr!

Marmot

Bronze

Post by Marmot » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:10 pm

kalydscopeeyes wrote:I have the same thing... today it changed, still "In review" but now 1/22 is the date (almost a week ago?) instead of 12/30 or whatever it said before. This happened to me yesterday with Lewis and Clark, too. Grr!
Similar deal for me. I was "In Review" with a status date of 1/9 until today, when they changed my status date to 1/23.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

natelaw

New

Post by natelaw » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:15 pm

so the tracker changed to decision on the tuesday the 27th. Im thinking either they mailed the letters tuesday and they show up tomorrow, or the send them at the end of the week and we get them mon/tues

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:26 am

Marmot wrote:
Boston, but it's very unlikely I'll get in. Other than that, it's mostly mid-west cities and small Virginia towns.

kbsenegal

New

Post by kbsenegal » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:38 am

I just checked and I'm decision, dated 1/24/09. Odd, because I'm pretty sure I've checked my status thrice daily for the past week. So whatever this code thing is...I say we break it.

williamholden1

New

Post by williamholden1 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:43 am

Same here. "Decision." 1/24. Doesn't sound very friendly. Or hopeful.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bingo

New

Post by bingo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:45 am

do they update status checker throughout the course of the day or does it refresh overnight?

Rsrcht

Bronze

Post by Rsrcht » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:46 am

emoticons777 wrote:
MaiKleenex wrote:I just talked to them on the phone. It went to review 12/5 and then went to "decision".....dated 1/16. Apparently that is a 'coding date' and they will send out my letter at the end of this week. Hope this info helps.
Coding dates? Does this mean that if you were updated on a certain date you're either in/out/wl?
It seems likely that it is just in/out at the moment. In theory, admin officers usually have auto admits for LSAT/GPA(75%/75% and auto denies 25%/25%) in the first round, then take more time to work through the gray areas. Their web page also says they are most likely to accept people who are in the upper ranges of a particular cell (see their jd admissions statistics page for a spreadsheet).

"Coding" probably means they are assigning a value to an applicant based upon their own criteria. "Coding date" could mean a batch process of assigning similar of different values to applicants. Afterwhich, it would make sense that they compare these in some sort of hierarchy.

All speculation, but it would seem to fit, based upon what I've read about the process.

nepgoon

New

Post by nepgoon » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:55 am

williamholden1 wrote:Same here. "Decision." 1/24. Doesn't sound very friendly. Or hopeful.
C'mon, be positive holden, you're pretty much a lock!

MaiKleenex

New

Post by MaiKleenex » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:58 am

I at least am a major splitter for them with a 167 (above 75%) and a 3.5 (below 25%). There's going to be some mailbox hysteria (aka speed home, hold my breath until I open the mailbox, which usually incurs a major lack of oxygen, making me feel even more faint/sick) until I get something.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”