University of Washington Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nepgoon

New

Re: University of Washington

Post by nepgoon » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:10 pm

It's staggering how high the 25/75's are for UW considering there are several schools with lower cutoffs that are ranked higher. I wonder if this is due more to UW trying to rise in the rankings or the fact that they draw so heavily from UW UG, which, and this is a complete guess, might have some pretty substantial grade inflation? Any Huskies care to share their insight?

WAsRuralTransplant

New

Post by WAsRuralTransplant » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:38 pm

nepgoon wrote:It's staggering how high the 25/75's are for UW considering there are several schools with lower cutoffs that are ranked higher. I wonder if this is due more to UW trying to rise in the rankings or the fact that they draw so heavily from UW UG, which, and this is a complete guess, might have some pretty substantial grade inflation? Any Huskies care to share their insight?
I think it could also come from the fact that UW is the only top-tier law school in the PNW, so, by default, students with higher numbers who desire the PNW will attend even if they could have gone to a better school elsewhere.

Just a thought...

kbsenegal

New

Post by kbsenegal » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:42 pm

I am the same kind of splitter.

nepgoon

New

Post by nepgoon » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:46 pm

WAsRuralTransplant wrote:
nepgoon wrote:It's staggering how high the 25/75's are for UW considering there are several schools with lower cutoffs that are ranked higher. I wonder if this is due more to UW trying to rise in the rankings or the fact that they draw so heavily from UW UG, which, and this is a complete guess, might have some pretty substantial grade inflation? Any Huskies care to share their insight?
I think it could also come from the fact that UW is the only top-tier law school in the PNW, so, by default, students with higher numbers who desire the PNW will attend even if they could have gone to a better school elsewhere.

Just a thought...
Good point.

ihatelaw

Bronze

Post by ihatelaw » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:56 pm

I've also heard from a few of my undergrad profs that worked at law schools that UW is actually underranked, especially in terms of academics, in US News and would be higher ranked if it were in a different location.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rsrcht

Bronze

Post by Rsrcht » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:22 pm

ihatelaw wrote:

I've also heard from a few of my undergrad profs that worked at law schools that UW is actually underranked, especially in terms of academics, in US News and would be higher ranked if it were in a different location.
...Which shows how useless US News really is.

ben1185

New

Post by ben1185 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:22 pm

Sorry wrong forum.

ben1185

New

Post by ben1185 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:26 pm

Sorry to give anyone a heart attack who saw my last post. That's what I get for applying to both the University of Washington, and Washington University.

bhut13

New

Post by bhut13 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:07 pm

We definitely do not have grade inflation -- we also get a GPA per class, which means if you get a 92% in a class, you don't receive an "A" or "4.0," you get a 3.6-3.7...so that can suck. UW law also tends to favor GPA > LSAT more so than most schools. I spoke with the head adcomm as well and she seemed to profess that they take more holistic approach than most schools (but they might all say that). They are quite bent on diversity though...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

n4sir1999

New

Post by n4sir1999 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:50 pm

bhut13 wrote:UW law also tends to favor GPA > LSAT more so than most schools.
not good for me... :cry:

bhut13 wrote:They are quite bent on diversity though...
good for me... :roll:

nepgoon

New

Post by nepgoon » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:19 pm

bhut13 wrote:
We definitely do not have grade inflation

A mean GPA of 3.69 would seem to contradict this statement: http://www.princetonreview.com/Universi ... ?uidbadge=

Although that GPA per class system sounds awful.

Fup

Bronze

Post by Fup » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:22 pm

I had no idea the mean GPA was that high. But I found most classes to be a total joke - I doubt I could have gotten the same GPA at another college.

nepgoon

New

Post by nepgoon » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:23 pm

Fup wrote:I doubt I could have gotten the same GPA at another college.
I guess you played your cards right!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tvaddicted

Bronze

Post by tvaddicted » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:24 pm

jcl2 wrote:My status just changed to decision this morning (dated 1/18). I really hope it means something good is coming in the mail soon! I am a resident and UW is definitely one of my top choices.
For those of you that are interested I had been "in review" since 12/9, my LSAT is 75%, GPA a little less than 25%, + relevant M.S. and other good "softs"
When did you go complete?

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:44 pm

tvaddicted wrote:
jcl2 wrote:My status just changed to decision this morning (dated 1/18). I really hope it means something good is coming in the mail soon! I am a resident and UW is definitely one of my top choices.
For those of you that are interested I had been "in review" since 12/9, my LSAT is 75%, GPA a little less than 25%, + relevant M.S. and other good "softs"
When did you go complete?
End of November I think.

lvatural

New

Post by lvatural » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:46 pm

nepgoon wrote:
bhut13 wrote:
We definitely do not have grade inflation

A mean GPA of 3.69 would seem to contradict this statement: http://www.princetonreview.com/Universi ... ?uidbadge=

Although that GPA per class system sounds awful.
The mean GPA at UW is NOT 3.69...I have a 3.7x and I am placed at around top 10-15% in terms of my class ranking...-_-

Usually the mean is set at around 2.8-3.0 for introductory classes and tends to rise up to about 3.3ish for the upper division courses.

Naturally there are special cases, such as bioengineering with the class mean set at about 3.5, but that's due to the difficulty of entering the department in the first place....

Also...classes can be easy or hard...it all depends on the department/classes you choose.

bhut13

New

Post by bhut13 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:52 pm

pretty sure the 3.69 is the average high school entering GPA...I have a 3.7 and just barely missed cum laude which is 3.74 for my major...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

williamholden1

New

Post by williamholden1 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:57 pm

nepgoon wrote:
williamholden1 wrote:Same here. "Decision." 1/24. Doesn't sound very friendly. Or hopeful.
C'mon, be positive holden, you're pretty much a lock!
I know, but I'm broken. My first response was a rejection from U of Minnesota and I had a great shot there. I'm like a beaten dog.

tvaddicted

Bronze

Post by tvaddicted » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:06 pm

williamholden1 wrote:
nepgoon wrote:
williamholden1 wrote:Same here. "Decision." 1/24. Doesn't sound very friendly. Or hopeful.
I know, but I'm broken. My first response was a rejection from U of Minnesota and I had a great shot there. I'm like a beaten dog.
Did u write "why Minnesota" into your personal statement?....maybe that was why you were rejected? I think you have a great shot at UW, though. your numbers are way above the median.

nepgoon

New

Post by nepgoon » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:11 pm

bhut13 wrote:pretty sure the 3.69 is the average high school entering GPA...
Yeah, I think you're right. I guess UW just attracts pretty high caliber students.

williamholden1

New

Post by williamholden1 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:17 pm

tvaddicted wrote:
williamholden1 wrote:
nepgoon wrote:
Did u write "why Minnesota" into your personal statement?....maybe that was why you were rejected? I think you have a great shot at UW, though. your numbers are way above the median.
I did mention things, but maybe not enough...

Oh well...Minnesota is cold anyway...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Fup

Bronze

Post by Fup » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:42 pm

Well, nothing from UW today. When I applied to UW undergrad, two days after a decision being made I received my acceptance letter. I guess the law school is slower at sending things out.

bingo

New

Post by bingo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:00 pm

any new decisions out there?

WAsRuralTransplant

New

Post by WAsRuralTransplant » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:44 pm

Think they'll be in the mailbox today??? I went decision on Monday, but haven't seen anything yet.

luckygehrig

New

Post by luckygehrig » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:29 pm

/
Last edited by luckygehrig on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”