IN at Lewis & Clark

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
cmaho9qy
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:36 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby cmaho9qy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:51 pm

Chanelgirl wrote:I think I'll probably withdraw when I get this email though... I wasn't as impressed with the school as I expected to be, and just got into SU.



Why weren't you impressed? Can you elaborate on that a little bit? I didn't get a chance to visit (yet), but I am still considering L & C.[/quote]

I'll do my best :) although to be honest, I think it's largely personal preference. I was surprised not to like it as much as I thought I would. I sat in on a Contracts class, which was pretty much on par with what I've seen anywhere else - lots of student/professor interaction. People were very engaged (although they are coming up on finals, so maybe more engaged than usual, haha). I also met with the Director of Admissions, who I really enjoyed speaking with. Up until this point, I was feeling pretty impressed and really wishing that I wasn't on their waitlist, but then I took a campus tour. The girl who conducted the tour was very nice and helpful, but she didn't seem particularly... enthusiastic. I guess I got the impression that she is really only there because she liked Portland and wanted to live there. I was also struck by just how small the campus is. Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely beautiful and their library is very nice, but there are about 3 buildings and most of the classrooms are very dated and windowless (with the exception of a couple of very nice new ones). So I guess I'd say that while the location of the campus and the attentiveness of the staff definitely met my expectations, I found the student body and the facilities to be lacking. I will also second what someone said earlier about it feeling like a "commuter school." I understand that most law schools are, but I was definitely very aware of the fact that is was a subdued environment and most people didn't really stick around after class.

I will give it this: Lewis & Clark seems like it is VERY responsive to its students needs. The entire Animal Law program was essentially created by a student who felt that there was a need for it. It's very progressive and there seems to be a lot of room for student driven development. They also have a nice mentor program wherein first year students are paired with a recent (within the last 5 years) L&C graduate within the Portland community as a sort of legal mentor.

So in conclusion... it isn't as if I hated Lewis and Clark. On the contrary, there were a lot of things that I liked about it. I suppose I just wasn't as impressed as I expected to be.

User avatar
hopeforthebest
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:46 am

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby hopeforthebest » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:20 pm

cmaho9qy wrote:For those of you who are still in second review/are on the waitlist: I met with the Director of Admissions a couple of days ago while in the Portland area and was told that I would be recieving an email probably at the end of this week or sometime next week asking if I was still interested in attending L&C and after their first deposit deadline, they will be filling space as necessary with people who haven't yet gotten a definitive answer. I couldn't tell you exactly why, but I got the impression that the chances of this happening are pretty slim. She did say that their numbers are still changing pretty drastically from day to day, though, so anything could happen!

I think I'll probably withdraw when I get this email though... I wasn't as impressed with the school as I expected to be, and just got into SU.


Thanks for the info... Good to know!

checkingandchecking
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby checkingandchecking » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:52 am

scienara wrote:Well, I think I've made up my mind! L&C for me. See some of you there. Anybody else doing the evening program?


In all likelyhood I will be attending the evening program. I am still deciding between the three Oregon schools but L&C is my first choice pending scholarship reconsideration.

User avatar
ShelleyVA
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:44 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby ShelleyVA » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:08 pm

I'm withdrawing today, so there's one spot and a little scholarship money for those of you on hold! Good luck!

User avatar
beepermad
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:11 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby beepermad » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:00 pm

Has anyone NOT received the e-mail? I haven't heard anything from them since being deferred.

User avatar
cmaho9qy
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:36 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby cmaho9qy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:11 pm

beepermad wrote:Has anyone NOT received the e-mail? I haven't heard anything from them since being deferred.


I don't think it has been sent yet. Like I said, she did say sometime at the end of last week or sometime this week. Pretty vague and largely dependent on how many people make the first deposit. I'm sure you'll be contacted if you were deferred. I'll post when I get my email. Fairly certain I'll withdraw, so hopefully that will make more room for someone who really wants it...

User avatar
beepermad
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:11 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby beepermad » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:39 am

I got the e-mail last night.

Ah... My heart... She's broken. :cry:

User avatar
cofcrunner
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:33 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby cofcrunner » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:05 am

I got the email. It definitely was not one the the most "hey, hang in there!" WL emails/letters I've gotten. :(

User avatar
cmaho9qy
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:36 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby cmaho9qy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:28 am

I got it too and am very ok with it... I'll be withdrawing, so if you guys are planning to stay on the WL, that's one less person to compete with :)

Good luck!

User avatar
hopeforthebest
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:46 am

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby hopeforthebest » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:29 am

Waitlisted via email this morning. Going to ride it out, seeing as I have nothing to lose, considering I have 0 acceptances.

User avatar
cofcrunner
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:33 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby cofcrunner » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:35 am

hopeforthebest wrote:Waitlisted via email this morning. Going to ride it out, seeing as I have nothing to lose, considering I have 0 acceptances.


:( I think we've applied to a lot of the same schools, as we both seem to end up on these threads. Best of luck to you! I don't know if this is the case for you, but if your LSAT is on the low side, would you consider retaking in June? I'm doing this and letting the long list of schools I'm WL on know. A couple of points might make a difference.

User avatar
hopeforthebest
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:46 am

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby hopeforthebest » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:38 am

cofcrunner wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:Waitlisted via email this morning. Going to ride it out, seeing as I have nothing to lose, considering I have 0 acceptances.


:( I think we've applied to a lot of the same schools, as we both seem to end up on these threads. Best of luck to you! I don't know if this is the case for you, but if your LSAT is on the low side, would you consider retaking in June? I'm doing this and letting the long list of schools I'm WL on know. A couple of points might make a difference.


No, I'm not going to do that. I have already taken the LSAT twice, and since law school doesn't look like it is going to happen for me, I want to save my 3rd retake for when I am super prepared in a couple of years and hit it out of the ballpark. Once school is over for me next week, I am sending out job/grad apps, seeing as getting off a waitlist is far from a sure thing.

User avatar
Rocky Estoppel
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:23 pm

I withdrew today so hopefully that helps some of you guys out. I liked Lewis and Clark a lot so this was a hard one to pass up. Good luck to everyone!

User avatar
Chanelgirl
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:06 am

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby Chanelgirl » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:31 pm

I got the waitlist e-mail ( I was put on hold over a month ago or so) this morning also. I decided to stay on it, but I don't think it's looking very good. I am sending my deposit elsewhere...

User avatar
rambo de leon
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:15 am

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby rambo de leon » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:39 pm

So Lewis and Clark per the TLS leak last night are sitting at 61. That's a pretty good jump in the right direction. Anyone out there think it's possible for them to crack the top 50 in the next few years or that a bit inordinate?

User avatar
rambo de leon
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:15 am

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby rambo de leon » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:22 pm

So an update for anyone waiting on scholarship funds that may have been freed up as a result of people rescinding their awards on 4/15, this is an excerpt from a letter I just received from the L&C admin:
We are touching base with you about our scholarship situation since you requested to be reconsidered. We recently reviewed our financial situation and I am very sorry to say that we do not have any more scholarship funds left for incoming students. More people have accepted our scholarship offers than anticipated, leaving no more to distribute to others.

wah wah :(

emoticons777
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:28 am

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby emoticons777 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:31 pm

rambo de leon wrote:So an update for anyone waiting on scholarship funds that may have been freed up as a result of people rescinding their awards on 4/15, this is an excerpt from a letter I just received from the L&C admin:
We are touching base with you about our scholarship situation since you requested to be reconsidered. We recently reviewed our financial situation and I am very sorry to say that we do not have any more scholarship funds left for incoming students. More people have accepted our scholarship offers than anticipated, leaving no more to distribute to others.

wah wah :(

I received the same e mail. Makes me not want to go.

User avatar
rambo de leon
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:15 am

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby rambo de leon » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:34 pm

emoticons777 wrote:
rambo de leon wrote:So an update for anyone waiting on scholarship funds that may have been freed up as a result of people rescinding their awards on 4/15, this is an excerpt from a letter I just received from the L&C admin:
We are touching base with you about our scholarship situation since you requested to be reconsidered. We recently reviewed our financial situation and I am very sorry to say that we do not have any more scholarship funds left for incoming students. More people have accepted our scholarship offers than anticipated, leaving no more to distribute to others.

wah wah :(

I received the same e mail. Makes me not want to go.

yeah, that's essentially the nail in my L&C coffin.

kalydscopeeyes
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:49 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby kalydscopeeyes » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:54 pm

Yeah, I got the email too... I can go to UW for the same price as LC.... I withdrew.

newcritic
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby newcritic » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:57 pm

Same email - I bailed for UW. By the bye, I heard that LC might be one of those schools that puts all the scholarship kids in one section of the 1L classes so that there's a mathematical certainty that several will lose their scholarships the second year. Don't know if it's substantiated, but the mention gave me pause.

emoticons777
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:28 am

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby emoticons777 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:06 pm

newcritic wrote:Same email - I bailed for UW. By the bye, I heard that LC might be one of those schools that puts all the scholarship kids in one section of the 1L classes so that there's a mathematical certainty that several will lose their scholarships the second year. Don't know if it's substantiated, but the mention gave me pause.

Just to be fair to L&C.
One of the students I spoke with said she knew of nothing of the sort and responded to my question like it was absolutely ridiculous.

newcritic
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby newcritic » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:05 pm

Yeah - I'm not sure I read it about LC. I think it was in a link to another blog I got to from a link on this forum where a student who was at LC was talking about that policy at law schools in general - I may have just conflated it in my head with LC.

Or maybe the student was part of the scheme... :shock:

User avatar
hopeforthebest
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:46 am

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby hopeforthebest » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:44 pm

newcritic wrote:Same email - I bailed for UW. By the bye, I heard that LC might be one of those schools that puts all the scholarship kids in one section of the 1L classes so that there's a mathematical certainty that several will lose their scholarships the second year. Don't know if it's substantiated, but the mention gave me pause.


Are you sure that you don't mean Willamette, which is also in Oregon? I know for a fact that they do that.

User avatar
AceOfDiamonds
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:29 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby AceOfDiamonds » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:40 pm

Strangely, despite a 172 LSAT, a ~3.3 GPA and credentials high enough to get accepted to many 'higher-caliber' law schools, I got a weird notice from Lewis and Clark that they were only willing to accept me in the 2012 class. (And I applied in mid-January.) I wrote a nice letter back asking to be reconsidered and reiterating a preference for Lewis and Clark and heard nothing back. It was just...really strange of them.

Which is somewhat sad, because honestly, the quality of Lewis and Clark's environmental law program made it a higher choice on my list than many objectively-better schools that I applied to.

Despite my sour gripes, though, best wishes to all of you accepted by L+C law! Have fun in Portland.

User avatar
Rocky Estoppel
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:26 pm

AceOfDiamonds wrote:Strangely, despite a 172 LSAT, a ~3.3 GPA and credentials high enough to get accepted to many 'higher-caliber' law schools, I got a weird notice from Lewis and Clark that they were only willing to accept me in the 2012 class.



Isn't that the class we are all going into this fall? :?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”