IN at Lewis & Clark

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
EscapeIdaho
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:45 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby EscapeIdaho » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:04 pm

beepermad wrote:
joobacca wrote:
EscapeIdaho wrote:
beepermad wrote:Applied 1/5, FT, unimpressive numbers...

But killer softs! And I'm a redhead, which, in my opinion, should earn me URM status...

:mrgreen:


Maybe one of the adcoms is also a redhead. In my experience redheads tend to be very suspicious of one another...

with good reason. they know very well how untrustworthy and unreliable they are.


We prefer "devious yet impressive."

:lol:

User avatar
stunguncoyote
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:49 am

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby stunguncoyote » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:09 pm

this is the email that I received today:

The admissions committee has completed its review of your application, but has not yet made a decision. Your file is still “active” and we will continue to keep it under consideration. In late April or early May, we will have a clearer idea of how many seats are still available, if any. If we have additional space in the class, we will do a second review of your file and we may extend an offer of admission to you at that time. If you are not admitted after a second review, your file may be denied or added to a waitlist. Either way, we will be in touch with you.

I guess this is good news??????

It did not say that I was denied but they have not immediately made a decision in me yet.

I guess I made it past the first round of cuts then huh?

User avatar
wickedzeus
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:25 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby wickedzeus » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:22 pm

stunguncoyote wrote:this is the email that I received today:

The admissions committee has completed its review of your application, but has not yet made a decision. Your file is still “active” and we will continue to keep it under consideration. In late April or early May, we will have a clearer idea of how many seats are still available, if any. If we have additional space in the class, we will do a second review of your file and we may extend an offer of admission to you at that time. If you are not admitted after a second review, your file may be denied or added to a waitlist. Either way, we will be in touch with you.

I guess this is good news??????

It did not say that I was denied but they have not immediately made a decision in me yet.

I guess I made it past the first round of cuts then huh?


I got this email too a few weeks ago, several others have gotten it too, it's basically a deferral.
The way I see it, they're just waiting until april or so to see how many people will actually put down a deposit. I'm still hopeful, and good luck to you.

User avatar
kramer22
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:27 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby kramer22 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:29 pm

kalydscopeeyes wrote:Gah! I finally got my acceptance packet today. I never went to Decision, it always said Complete and changed to 2/8/09..

No money (they have "run out") so I'm not sure what I wanna do... the map of Portland was funny, because I live/grew up here. lol.


Same thing for me today. If anything, the map will be useful... :)

User avatar
chromylchloride
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:34 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby chromylchloride » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:14 pm

Just got in today with scholarship, very excited!! I think I might be living in Portland in a few months...

tvaddicted
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:10 am

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby tvaddicted » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:26 pm

chromylchloride wrote:Just got in today with scholarship, very excited!! I think I might be living in Portland in a few months...


congratulations!! when did you go complete?

User avatar
Rocky Estoppel
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:43 am

I'm in with a small scholarship...only $5k a year. Expensive option. If I had more money from them I'd consider them seriously over many higher ranked schools.

How does everyone think L&C does with the Portland legal community regarding local govt positions?

User avatar
radical4peace
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:49 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby radical4peace » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:32 pm

kak23 wrote:I'm in with a small scholarship...only $5k a year. Expensive option. If I had more money from them I'd consider them seriously over many higher ranked schools.

How does everyone think L&C does with the Portland legal community regarding local govt positions?


Congrats on your acceptance! It is too bad L&C is not giving out too much money at this point, though. I am not expecting much/anything from them... :(

User avatar
tha trev
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:12 am

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby tha trev » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:44 pm

kak23 wrote:I'm in with a small scholarship...only $5k a year. Expensive option. If I had more money from them I'd consider them seriously over many higher ranked schools.

How does everyone think L&C does with the Portland legal community regarding local govt positions?


no one in portland cares if you've got a legal degree for gov't positions. everyone here is totally corrupt. it's all about who you know.

User avatar
Rocky Estoppel
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:28 pm

tha trev wrote:
kak23 wrote:I'm in with a small scholarship...only $5k a year. Expensive option. If I had more money from them I'd consider them seriously over many higher ranked schools.

How does everyone think L&C does with the Portland legal community regarding local govt positions?


no one in portland cares if you've got a legal degree for gov't positions. everyone here is totally corrupt. it's all about who you know.
What about for the District Attorney's office?

User avatar
tha trev
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:12 am

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby tha trev » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:42 am

i was exaggerating a little based on our recent mayoral scandal. i'm sure they care if you've got a j.d. at the da's office. this topic has been discussed ad infinitum, but L&C does relatively well compared to UofO and Willamette in the Portland market (which is relatively small and competitive considering the size of the city). Most UW grads (the regional power) and any t20 student will, of course, outplace a L&C grad, even in their home city. sad but true.

L&C is, of course, extremely liberal (even by law school standards). this may not sway you one way or the other. the campus is very cool and the building is relatively new and very eco-hip. whatever floats your boat. at 33k the sticker is a little expensive, but so is almost everything else in portland, which, if you can get past the 150 days of rain and clouds a year, is a great place to live.

as for gov't positions specifically, i'm sure it's like anything else: competitive and network based. get in a clinic and network your butt off. i talked to a girl from L&C who is working for the DoJ this past summer (1L) and again this summer (2L). i'm sure the opportunities are there if you work hard and get a little lucky.

EscapingIndiana
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:04 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby EscapingIndiana » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:55 pm

kramer22 wrote:
kalydscopeeyes wrote:Gah! I finally got my acceptance packet today. I never went to Decision, it always said Complete and changed to 2/8/09..

No money (they have "run out") so I'm not sure what I wanna do... the map of Portland was funny, because I live/grew up here. lol.


Same thing for me today. If anything, the map will be useful... :)


Got accepted today by mail. No money. They didn't mention the merit award, so I assume they've run out. I hope I can pick up a merit award later on when others withdraw.

I plan to visit the school in April.

L&C is my top pick, so I will probably go even without any merit award money. I plan to pursue environmental public interest law after I graduate, so the federal government will forgive my loans after 10 years of government or 501(c)3 work:

--LinkRemoved--

Can't wait to escape Indiana and live in Portland!

User avatar
Rocky Estoppel
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:08 pm

EscapingIndiana wrote:
Can't wait to escape Indiana and live in Portland!


I would have never guessed you plan to escape Indiana, "EscapingIndiana."

marcy3po
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:23 am

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby marcy3po » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:54 pm

Got into L&C (no scholarship) and Vermont (20k/year). Now I have to decide between these two as I wait for my reach schools to make a decision.

I know Portland will be a better place to live despite never actually setting foot there since I grew up in Maine and have good idea about rural life in New England. I could potentially eat the final tuition difference of about 13k per year (cost of living is suprisingly similar) if employment/salary prospects are that much greater at L&C than Vermont, which some of the research I've done has indicates this.

Anyone have thoughts on the matter?

Nemy
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:48 am

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby Nemy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:30 am

I think it also depends on what kind of law you want to practice. If you applied to both of those schools for their environmental law programs, it will definitely be harder to make up 39k unless you find your way into big law. Also keep in mind, that even though the cost of living may be similar, transportation costs between Maine and L&C could end up further straining your budget.

But if you managed to get a 20k merit from Vermont, hopefully you'll also get a competitive offer from L&C when more funds become available.

EscapingIndiana
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:04 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby EscapingIndiana » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:51 pm

marcy3po wrote:Got into L&C (no scholarship) and Vermont (20k/year). Now I have to decide between these two as I wait for my reach schools to make a decision.

I know Portland will be a better place to live despite never actually setting foot there since I grew up in Maine and have good idea about rural life in New England. I could potentially eat the final tuition difference of about 13k per year (cost of living is suprisingly similar) if employment/salary prospects are that much greater at L&C than Vermont, which some of the research I've done has indicates this.

Anyone have thoughts on the matter?


I'm in exactly the same boat: $25k/year from Vermont; nothing from L&C - yet. I plan on raising the merit award issue when I visit - on March 19th, not April (that's Vermont - I'll be there too). I'd like to shave off some of that future debt, even if it's only $5k/year.

But even if I have to borrow everything, the good news is that you can borrow it all from the government. Congress passed the College Cost Reduction and Access Act in 2007, which was largely designed to encourage graduates to pursue public interest work that they would otherwise be wary of due to the burdens of debt. Since I want to do public interest law, I need only work for the government or a 501(c)3 for 10 years (total, not continuous) - and then the remainder of the debt will be forgiven. You have to make payments each month toward your debt, but they are reasonable.

http://www.equaljusticeworks.org/resource/ccraa

As far as jobs, I wouldn't limit yourself to measuring the schools just based on their local/regional employment prospects. If you're interested in environmental/public interest law, these schools have national and international reach in government and among NGOs. If you want to do more typical types of law or work in the private sector, then, yes, you will be regionally limited. L&C would be the better of the two in these instances.

In terms of quality of life, I'd also put Portland/PNW above Vermont - but some people like the small, cozy school in the middle of nowhere.

User avatar
Rocky Estoppel
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:58 pm

A Plane ticket to Portland from Tennessee is way too expensive. :x

kalydscopeeyes
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:49 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby kalydscopeeyes » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:15 pm

kak23 wrote:A Plane ticket to Portland from Tennessee is way too expensive. :x


Try Continental... I just got a ticket from Portland to Kentucky for $170 roundtrip.... granted that's in April... and Kentucky is a different state than Tennessee... lol.

User avatar
beepermad
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:11 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby beepermad » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:55 pm

kak23 wrote:A Plane ticket to Portland from Tennessee is way too expensive. :x


Dude! I booked a round-trip plane ticket AND one night in a hotel room for $300, total. Orbitz. It's the shiz.

And I'm in Arkansas.

Just sayin'.

User avatar
Rocky Estoppel
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:59 pm

beepermad wrote:
kak23 wrote:A Plane ticket to Portland from Tennessee is way too expensive. :x


Dude! I booked a round-trip plane ticket AND one night in a hotel room for $300, total. Orbitz. It's the shiz.

And I'm in Arkansas.

Just sayin'.


Cheapest I found from Nashville to Portland is $497 with taxes and fees. That's just the flight. Not including hotel. L&C will cover up to $500 but it will still end up costing a few hundred out of pocket when it's all said and done.

saar
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:59 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby saar » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:07 pm

kak23 wrote:
beepermad wrote:
kak23 wrote:A Plane ticket to Portland from Tennessee is way too expensive. :x


Dude! I booked a round-trip plane ticket AND one night in a hotel room for $300, total. Orbitz. It's the shiz.

And I'm in Arkansas.

Just sayin'.


Cheapest I found from Nashville to Portland is $497 with taxes and fees. That's just the flight. Not including hotel. L&C will cover up to $500 but it will still end up costing a few hundred out of pocket when it's all said and done.



It's all about how early you book your flight. I will also be visiting L&C (as well as Seattle U, flying into Seattle and out of Portland) from Nashville, TN and got my round-trip tickets a few months ago for about $200 before taxes.

saar
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:59 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby saar » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:09 pm

PS for anyone looking for a good deal on hotels, go to Biddingfortravel.com. People on that site have gotten a five-star hotel in Portland for under $70!

User avatar
Rocky Estoppel
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:10 pm

saar wrote:
kak23 wrote:
beepermad wrote:
kak23 wrote:A Plane ticket to Portland from Tennessee is way too expensive. :x


Dude! I booked a round-trip plane ticket AND one night in a hotel room for $300, total. Orbitz. It's the shiz.

And I'm in Arkansas.

Just sayin'.


Cheapest I found from Nashville to Portland is $497 with taxes and fees. That's just the flight. Not including hotel. L&C will cover up to $500 but it will still end up costing a few hundred out of pocket when it's all said and done.



It's all about how early you book your flight. I will also be visiting L&C (as well as Seattle U, flying into Seattle and out of Portland) from Nashville, TN and got my round-trip tickets a few months ago for about $200 before taxes.
You know, I figured this was the case but I couldn't predict that I would get into L&C or that the school would appeal to me so much. Still, I don't think I'll be able to do the trip.

How about you come back to this site with your thoughts and impressions from your visit. :lol:

bloomlaw
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:18 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby bloomlaw » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:25 pm

Withdrew today, though I really like the school. Good luck to all of you.

checkingandchecking
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Postby checkingandchecking » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:57 pm

With respect to which law program Vermont or L&C is better applicable to environmental public interest law, I just talked to a friend who attended Vermont LS and withdrew in the first year to go to University of Cincinnati LS. He is currently a non-profit lobbyist for environmental concerns in DC and he didn't have positive things to say about Vermont LS. He found it too granola and not intellectually rigorous.

From talking to my friend, I would say Vermont LS is the less challenging option and people in the federal government consider it more negatively. I will grant it could just be East Coast bias with L&C being less well known.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BlackAndOrange84, guybourdin, Justtrying2help and 11 guests