IN at Lewis & Clark Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
greatergood

New

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Post by greatergood » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:00 pm

Mulliganstew wrote:Haven't even gotten an email saying they got my report, but they did request my LoR's according to LSAC... Kind of worried.
I had same thing w/ LC. I went weeks w/ nothing, and then they sent me the 'you are complete' email. I wouldn't be worried, I think they just don't do the preliminary email like most other schools do.

radical4peace

New

Post by radical4peace » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:50 pm

got my financial aid award letter from L&C today: all loans. I am like, yep, this is why I withdrew a few days ago. Still a good school. Just too expensive for me!

wickedzeus

New

Post by wickedzeus » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:21 pm

to those that have been deferred, did you send in a LOCI? I'm wondering because their deferral email appears to say that they don't need any more information

beepermad

New

Post by beepermad » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:41 pm

I went and visited yesterday. Everyone is super friendly...and I found it really appealling because of the student involvement in almost every aspect of the school. They also take a very practical approach to the study of law, which I've found is rare at most schools. They didn't really give me any information that I didn't know before...their strong suits are environmental and public interest...they're leading the way in the development of animal law as a separate field...

Housing is apparently an issue for students. They don't really have an on-campus housing, so students have to seek housing around the city...which can be pricey. But every single person I met in Portland was unbelievably friendly, and it seems like a really fun city.

My experience = nutshell

Nemy

New

Post by Nemy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:04 pm

Thanks for the preview beeper. Looking forward to the visit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ettalynn

New

Post by ettalynn » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:45 pm

radical4peace wrote:got my financial aid award letter from L&C today: all loans. I am like, yep, this is why I withdrew a few days ago. Still a good school. Just too expensive for me!
Do you think this mean that no need-based grant money is being offered? I got the same letter (totalling $50K in debt per year when you add it all together) and was disappointed. They said I would be reconsidered for merit scholarships when money became available and I had hoped to get some need-based award money, as well. Does anyone know if those offers might still be coming? Don't think I can justify L&C for that kind of debt after 3 years...

Hikeeba

New

Post by Hikeeba » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:10 pm

Just got the deferral email. So frustrating to think that I will have to wait until late April or early May to hear a final decision. :?

IstariAsuka

New

Post by IstariAsuka » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:26 pm

I also just got the deferral email, which is frustrating since as a whole I'm overqualified for L&C. My fiancee is going to be at OSU starting about a month from now, which is the only reason I'm willing to consider them at all. Otherwise I'd prefer George Mason or George Washington or something like that... :|

Sannerbr

New

Post by Sannerbr » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:05 pm

I have heard that L&C is uber-liberal. Anybody else heard the same? Should that preclude going there or should it even be a consideration?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

radical4peace

New

Post by radical4peace » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:11 pm

ettalynn wrote:
radical4peace wrote:got my financial aid award letter from L&C today: all loans. I am like, yep, this is why I withdrew a few days ago. Still a good school. Just too expensive for me!
Do you think this mean that no need-based grant money is being offered? I got the same letter (totalling $50K in debt per year when you add it all together) and was disappointed. They said I would be reconsidered for merit scholarships when money became available and I had hoped to get some need-based award money, as well. Does anyone know if those offers might still be coming? Don't think I can justify L&C for that kind of debt after 3 years...
There have been/will be a decent number of withdrawals from L&C coming from people who had awards, but scholarship money won't be clear for the second round until after deposits are due. If you are set on L&C, I would say there's a good chance you will get some kind of money with decent numbers. But if you're not set on L&C, I'm not sure I would wait around on them. This is why I'm not waiting around. But if Portland and/or enviro law is your thing it might be worth the wait.

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:15 pm

Sannerbr wrote:I have heard that L&C is uber-liberal. Anybody else heard the same? Should that preclude going there or should it even be a consideration?
I live in Portland, and Oregon in general is very liberal (at least the Willamette Valley--as you go further east, citizens tend to be more conservative). L&C itself was voted #3 on Princeton Review's "most liberal" law school list, which should tell you quite a bit... especially considering that Berkeley, famous for its politics, was voted #8. However, L&C also has a pretty substantial group of conservative students--the Federalist Society is among the most active groups on campus. I would recommend visiting if you're unsure, but if liberals completely turn you off, you will likely despise both the school and Portland as a whole. If you do have any questions about Portland, feel free to PM me--I grew up in Oregon and have lived in Portland specifically for about five years.

leron

Bronze

Post by leron » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:16 pm

well, i received my award letter yesterday. i withdrew last week, however. my scholarship should be free for you guys now. good luck!

katjust

Bronze

Post by katjust » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:43 pm

Sannerbr wrote:I have heard that L&C is uber-liberal. Anybody else heard the same? Should that preclude going there or should it even be a consideration?

The liberalism of the school is somewhat of a concern for me as well, since I am conservative/libertarian. However, I am used to being around liberals in the grad program I was in. They aren't that bad most of the time. Also, I am a vegan and into animal ethics, so I don't fit into the common conservative mold. L&C being a leader in animal law appeals to me.

I have also heard that the fed society is very active at L&C, and that seems to be true from their blog.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ettalynn

New

Post by ettalynn » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:30 am

katjust wrote:

The liberalism of the school is somewhat of a concern for me as well, since I am conservative/libertarian. However, I am used to being around liberals in the grad program I was in. They aren't that bad most of the time. Also, I am a vegan and into animal ethics, so I don't fit into the common conservative mold. L&C being a leader in animal law appeals to me.

I have also heard that the fed society is very active at L&C, and that seems to be true from their blog.
If you guys are self-identified conservatives why are you considering Lewis and Clark? To me the leftiness of the school is one of its primary appeals. It's not that I don't see the benefit of going to school with a student body that has a relatively diverse range of political views but I can tell you I am certainly not considering BYU or Pepperdine.

milogoestolawschool

New

Post by milogoestolawschool » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:43 am

"If you guys are self-identified conservatives why are you considering Lewis and Clark? To me the leftiness of the school is one of its primary appeals. It's not that I don't see the benefit of going to school with a student body that has a relatively diverse range of political views but I can tell you I am certainly not considering BYU or Pepperdine."

Because I love the Northwest, whitewater rafting, the Trail Blazers, good microbrews, a flourishing music scene and a campus surrounded by trees. :P

ettalynn

New

Post by ettalynn » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:51 am

I guess that's fair enough. It also depends on how conservative you are. You have to at least be open minded enough to feel comfortable around a very liberal student body. I don't think most ultra-conservatives would be...

katjust

Bronze

Post by katjust » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:37 pm

I would not go to byu either (Pepperdine would be fine), but that is because of their strict rules on appearance and behavior. I am rather politically socially liberal (meaning i oppose restrictions). I am comfortable in my beliefs. What do I have to lose by being surrounded by liberals? I'm open-minded enough to change if I'm wrong. I just don't think I am.

Also, I can accept difference without agreeing with it. I agree that some conservatives are homophobic, racist, and hateful of others. However, they are not all that closed-minded. I think that is an unfair stereotype.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ettalynn

New

Post by ettalynn » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:23 pm

not a stereotype at all--people with strong political convictions of any sort tend to be somewhat close-minded.

katjust

Bronze

Post by katjust » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:20 pm

ettalynn wrote:not a stereotype at all--people with strong political convictions of any sort tend to be somewhat close-minded.
I think that most people in general are "close-minded" in that they don't want to change their beliefs. So, I suppose I will have to concede that. However, close-minded in that sense and intolerant are different. I think that most people don't like to have their beliefs challenged, but most people are tolerant enough to be comfortable with people around them having different beliefs. Maybe it's just that I'm used to few people around agreeing with me, so I've adapted.

ShelleyVA

New

Post by ShelleyVA » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:26 pm

I'm probably still going to withdraw, but I've gotten a voicemail and an e-mail from an L & C professor this week. Nice personal touch. :D

beepermad

New

Post by beepermad » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:29 pm

"We won't be looking at files on hold until late April or early May."

Gaaaaaaaah. That's...like...10 years from now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sannerbr

New

Post by Sannerbr » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:02 pm

So does anybody know if there is any money to be made in environmental law or is it strictly public interest work?

AHouseDivided

New

Post by AHouseDivided » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:06 pm

Sannerbr wrote:So does anybody know if there is any money to be made in environmental law or is it strictly public interest work?
Um...who do you think opposes the public interest folks? Helps companies shape regulation?

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:59 pm

Held pending second review in April-May. Crap.

sweatervest

New

Post by sweatervest » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:05 pm

This is weird: I've been complete since 2/4, but my status just updated to 3/18. It still says "application file complete." Has this happened to anyone else?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”