IN at Lewis & Clark Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TolentinoCifar

New

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Post by TolentinoCifar » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:34 am

Maybe I should search through the postings a little more for more info, but I was recently accepted with no money (164, 3.33), but told that I could have my file reviewed again and maybe there would be money available in April. They appear to still want their deposit by 4/15 regardless.

Any thoughts on this situation? Reasons for hope?

Thanks

katjust

Bronze

Post by katjust » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:55 am

Someone asked about the ASD, so I will give my opinion.

I went to the ASD with my wife. Since she is still in school, and we would have to move to Oregon for me to go to L&C I wanted her input on how she felt about the school. First of all, I thought that the buildings that comprised the law school were pretty good. The biggest disappoint me is that the school does not have a courtroom, but the tour guide said that they were planning to add one. Out of the four law schools that I actually visited, this was the only one without a courtroom.

Everyone I met was very friendly. That includes admitted students, current students, administrators, and professors. Most of the current students seemed happy with where they were. I got the vibe that certain causes were important to the student body, more important than at other law schools. I take this as a good and bad thing. I want the students around me to be concerned with ethics, but I don't want the school experience to be tainted or unprofessional due to over the top activism. However, I did not get the vibe that it was.

Being relatively conservative, I came in with the fear that my opinions would be marginalized. However, this was not the case. After meeting with representatives from more conservative student organizations, I found out that an attitude of intellectual respect permeated most conversations. A great thing is that even the more conservative groups on campus are very active, if not as well represented. This was not the case at the supposedly less liberal law schools I visited. My guess is that the more conservative students at L&C tend to be more active so as to give balance to what they perceive as a liberal institution. Moreover, it is a way to talk with people with whom they agree. All of the students I talked to told me that they liked the majority, if not all of their classmates.

Being interested in animal law, I had the great pleasure of meeting with the director of the animal legal center. More than anything, the conversation with her helped convince me that L&C would be a place at which I would be happy.

I know that everyone had on their happy face for the day, but the feeling I got from the school was very good. None of my expected fears materialized at the ASD. The students I met were, in general, very intelligent. As opposed to a couple of schools that I visited, I felt that studying at the law school would be pleasant. This may have something to do with the surrounding beauty.

Clinical opportunities seemed great, as did the ability to network.

A few negatives:
* The tour was pretty casual, and was not efficiently run. This may have had more to do with the tour guide than anything about the school.

* Environmental law, an area of interest to me, did seem to be a huge focus. While other areas did not necessarily seem neglected, it is a little unsettling to think of going to a law school that might only be good at producing one kind of lawyer.

* First year class sizes, while comparable to other schools, were bigger than I would like.

After visiting the four schools left on my list, L&C was the one at which I had the best overall feeling. I really was impressed by the school. If anyone has more specific questions about the visit, I can try to answer. My wife and I both agreed that it would be the school at which I would be happiest.

- on a side note, I visited Willamette before L&C, and have mainly good things to say about that school as well. I was actually very surprised by my visit there. Maybe it was just my expectations that were off.
Last edited by katjust on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newcritic

New

Post by newcritic » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:35 am

My visit to Willamette was amazing as well. The assistant dean I talked with was one of the most engaging people I met during this whole cycle.

pdx1

New

Post by pdx1 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:16 pm

Withdrawing this week, and leaving 20k a year open for someone.

wickedzeus

New

Post by wickedzeus » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:22 pm

for those who've been deferred,

I called the admissions office and the person on the phone seemed to say that their class if "full" and that people who've been deferred would be notified at the earliest in late late april, early may, after the deposit situation is assessed. They should have called it what it is: a waitlist.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cmaho9qy

New

Post by cmaho9qy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:32 pm

wickedzeus wrote:for those who've been deferred,

I called the admissions office and the person on the phone seemed to say that their class if "full" and that people who've been deferred would be notified at the earliest in late late april, early may, after the deposit situation is assessed. They should have called it what it is: a waitlist.
I agree. Although this is exactly what was said in the email I received. Sigh. Should have applied earlier. That'll teach me!

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:56 pm

Lewis & Clark should offer a fee refund for people who got their apps in before the "priority deadline" but after the class was full. I'm not sure what I was paying for if there were no seats available to me regardless.

tchadwick

New

Post by tchadwick » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:03 am

Did anyone else here apply for the joint LLM program in environmental law? I know a few people have said that they are considering applying for it after their 1L, but I haven't heard of anyone else applying at the time of admission? I was accepted into the dual program, and I'm still trying to decide whether or not it would be worth it to go to L&C. I think I would like living in Portland, and I think I would like to practice environmental law, but I've lived in the Midwest my whole life and what the heck do I know about environmental law at this point?!? I have cheaper options at other schools, which are higher ranked, for what it's worth - but if I was sure this would be a good fit, that wouldn't matter too much. I just wish UW wasn't so close by, making me nervous about getting a job after graduation...

Anyone else having similar issues???

marcy3po

New

Post by marcy3po » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:40 pm

Hey all,

I'm over in Boston and trying to decide between UO and L&C. Anyone have any input. I already have a thread on this if you could help out.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... ewis+clark

Thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ivesetsail

New

Post by ivesetsail » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:30 pm

Sadly, I withdrew from my acceptance and scholarship today, good luck to everyone still waiting for a response!

milogoestolawschool

New

Post by milogoestolawschool » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:17 am

^ this is good stuff. thanks!

pedal

New

Post by pedal » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:46 pm

jrh wrote:
kimber1028 wrote:
tbone101 wrote:
isustudent wrote:Anybody else watch the food/travel channel? I'm so going to Voodoo Doughnuts in Portland when I'm there for the ASW
they have really weird hours, they sort of open when they feel like it... say 4 am, and close when they feel like it. i was in town for 3 days and didnt manage to make it there.

actually according to their site they are open 24/7. which is not what locals were saying.
They aren't really open 24/7, but I haven't had a problem getting something when I've gone at a reasonable hour. You should definitely get the cock-'n-balls... it's so yummy! I know it has a weird name, lol, but you'll understand when you see it. I think they may actually have their menu on their website, too, if you check that out. :mrgreen:

this is the one with vegan donuts, right? if so i'm totally staging an all night raid during the ASW. anybody down? weird hours or not.
The vegan donut shop you may be thinking of is Mighty O's in Seattle. Delicious! And I could care less about being vegan! Voodoo is just weirder, certainly not better, IMHO....although I am serious about my donuts!

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:48 pm

Just withdrew guys, good luck to everyone still waiting!

I wish I could bequeath my spot to one of you!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cmaho9qy

New

Post by cmaho9qy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:21 pm

Hi guys,

I am going to be visiting L&C tomorrow as I am in the area and didn't get to make it out here for any official tours. I'll be sitting in on a class, meeting with the Director of Admissions (maybe I can convince them to give me a spot), and taking a tour of the campus. If anyone has any specific questions they'd like me to ask/anything they'd like me to be on the lookout for, I'm happy to take requests!

rambo de leon

New

Post by rambo de leon » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:31 pm

anyone been able to get their hands on some L+C employment statistics?

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:45 pm

wickedzeus wrote:for those who've been deferred,

That is bizarre. They sent me a fee waiver really late in the cycle too. Though, that'd explain why I've been complete for a month and still no under review on the status checker.

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:50 pm

rambo de leon wrote:anyone been able to get their hands on some L+C employment statistics?
http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/composite.pdf

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rambo de leon

New

Post by rambo de leon » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:26 pm

seatown12 wrote:
rambo de leon wrote: anyone been able to get their hands on some L+C employment statistics?

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/composite.pdf
Thanks seatown! :)

sporkdevil

New

Post by sporkdevil » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:10 am

seatown12 wrote:Lewis & Clark should offer a fee refund for people who got their apps in before the "priority deadline" but after the class was full. I'm not sure what I was paying for if there were no seats available to me regardless.
I think it would be a good idea, but I didn't get my fee waiver and other info until late Feb. Plus some emails. Now I'm waitlisted at a backup. Don't worry, I'm not going to clog up the WL. Can't imagine going to Portland if they don't cover most of tuition (which I doubt they would do off the waitlist). I was surprised though. I was nicely above their medians. The waitlist doesn't make me want to go there. A quick acceptance and a scholarship does.

scienara

New

Post by scienara » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:19 pm

Well, I think I've made up my mind! L&C for me. See some of you there. Anybody else doing the evening program?

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:42 pm

sporkdevil wrote:
seatown12 wrote:Lewis & Clark should offer a fee refund for people who got their apps in before the "priority deadline" but after the class was full. I'm not sure what I was paying for if there were no seats available to me regardless.
I think it would be a good idea, but I didn't get my fee waiver and other info until late Feb. Plus some emails. Now I'm waitlisted at a backup. Don't worry, I'm not going to clog up the WL. Can't imagine going to Portland if they don't cover most of tuition (which I doubt they would do off the waitlist). I was surprised though. I was nicely above their medians. The waitlist doesn't make me want to go there. A quick acceptance and a scholarship does.

My LSAT was above even their 75%, but they outright dinged me. Kind of made me mad to be honest.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

katjust

Bronze

Post by katjust » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:56 pm

When did you apply? Did you have a lower GPA?

cmaho9qy

New

Post by cmaho9qy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:56 pm

For those of you who are still in second review/are on the waitlist: I met with the Director of Admissions a couple of days ago while in the Portland area and was told that I would be recieving an email probably at the end of this week or sometime next week asking if I was still interested in attending L&C and after their first deposit deadline, they will be filling space as necessary with people who haven't yet gotten a definitive answer. I couldn't tell you exactly why, but I got the impression that the chances of this happening are pretty slim. She did say that their numbers are still changing pretty drastically from day to day, though, so anything could happen!

I think I'll probably withdraw when I get this email though... I wasn't as impressed with the school as I expected to be, and just got into SU.

Chanelgirl

New

Post by Chanelgirl » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:28 pm

I think I'll probably withdraw when I get this email though... I wasn't as impressed with the school as I expected to be, and just got into SU.[/quote]

Why weren't you impressed? Can you elaborate on that a little bit? I didn't get a chance to visit (yet), but I am still considering L & C.

cmaho9qy

New

Post by cmaho9qy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:51 pm

Chanelgirl wrote:I think I'll probably withdraw when I get this email though... I wasn't as impressed with the school as I expected to be, and just got into SU.

Why weren't you impressed? Can you elaborate on that a little bit? I didn't get a chance to visit (yet), but I am still considering L & C.[/quote]

I'll do my best :) although to be honest, I think it's largely personal preference. I was surprised not to like it as much as I thought I would. I sat in on a Contracts class, which was pretty much on par with what I've seen anywhere else - lots of student/professor interaction. People were very engaged (although they are coming up on finals, so maybe more engaged than usual, haha). I also met with the Director of Admissions, who I really enjoyed speaking with. Up until this point, I was feeling pretty impressed and really wishing that I wasn't on their waitlist, but then I took a campus tour. The girl who conducted the tour was very nice and helpful, but she didn't seem particularly... enthusiastic. I guess I got the impression that she is really only there because she liked Portland and wanted to live there. I was also struck by just how small the campus is. Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely beautiful and their library is very nice, but there are about 3 buildings and most of the classrooms are very dated and windowless (with the exception of a couple of very nice new ones). So I guess I'd say that while the location of the campus and the attentiveness of the staff definitely met my expectations, I found the student body and the facilities to be lacking. I will also second what someone said earlier about it feeling like a "commuter school." I understand that most law schools are, but I was definitely very aware of the fact that is was a subdued environment and most people didn't really stick around after class.

I will give it this: Lewis & Clark seems like it is VERY responsive to its students needs. The entire Animal Law program was essentially created by a student who felt that there was a need for it. It's very progressive and there seems to be a lot of room for student driven development. They also have a nice mentor program wherein first year students are paired with a recent (within the last 5 years) L&C graduate within the Portland community as a sort of legal mentor.

So in conclusion... it isn't as if I hated Lewis and Clark. On the contrary, there were a lot of things that I liked about it. I suppose I just wasn't as impressed as I expected to be.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”