In at University of Houston

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
G_Girl4098

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby G_Girl4098 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:24 am

Smart_Guy wrote:
Lawsixsigma wrote:I just got an e-mail from Ms. Polk at UH Law Center that read:

Dear ....

"Thank you for your continued interest in the University of Houston Law Center and for your patience with our waitlist process. I know you are anxious to hear from us so that you can finalize your plans for the fall. Our second commitment for our deposited students is due at the end of this week. Once we have confirmed with these students, we will begin assessing the class in early July ....."
Did anyone get a similar e-mail? The entire content of the e-mail suggest that they are trying to 'weed' out the non-active waitlisters from the pack.

Hey Lawsixsigma,

I was also waitlisted at UHLC/PT program as of last week. Although I have not received that same email you posted, I am told by the admissions committee that they will begin assessing candidates from their wait-list in early July. The thing is, I was also admitted into the PT program at MSU (Michigan State) with a 50% scholarship last week as well.

I am already dead-set on attending UHLC if I can get in (even without sholarship $$)....as they are a higher ranked program than MSU in generic rankings as well as within IP Law, which is what I wanna study. Not to mention the fact that I attended MSU for 6 years as an UG and for an MBA. In addition, the economy here in Michigan sucks way worse than anyplace else in America, and from what I've gathered, UHLC places well regionally as well as in Texas.

On the money side, UHLC is a public school with $13K/yr tution (in-state). Factoring in living expenses at about $10-15K/yr, I would only be looking at about $70K in debt as opposed to the $100K debt if I went to MSU (even with the 50% scholarship).

What do you think?

Err... I don't know where you pulled $13K a year tuition from.

Full-time (30 hours) Tuition & Fees
Texas Residents - $18,477 Non-Residents - $ 25,977

Part-time (26 hours) Tuition & Fees
Texas Residents - $ 17,960 Non-Residents - $ 24,486

That was for 2008-2009 (so you can probably expect that to go up for 2009-2010) according to http://www.law.uh.edu/admissions/

Smart_Guy

Postby Smart_Guy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:37 am

G_Girl4098 wrote:
Smart_Guy wrote:
Lawsixsigma wrote:I just got an e-mail from Ms. Polk at UH Law Center that read:

Dear ....

"Thank you for your continued interest in the University of Houston Law Center and for your patience with our waitlist process. I know you are anxious to hear from us so that you can finalize your plans for the fall. Our second commitment for our deposited students is due at the end of this week. Once we have confirmed with these students, we will begin assessing the class in early July ....."
Did anyone get a similar e-mail? The entire content of the e-mail suggest that they are trying to 'weed' out the non-active waitlisters from the pack.

Hey Lawsixsigma,

I was also waitlisted at UHLC/PT program as of last week. Although I have not received that same email you posted, I am told by the admissions committee that they will begin assessing candidates from their wait-list in early July. The thing is, I was also admitted into the PT program at MSU (Michigan State) with a 50% scholarship last week as well.

I am already dead-set on attending UHLC if I can get in (even without sholarship $$)....as they are a higher ranked program than MSU in generic rankings as well as within IP Law, which is what I wanna study. Not to mention the fact that I attended MSU for 6 years as an UG and for an MBA. In addition, the economy here in Michigan sucks way worse than anyplace else in America, and from what I've gathered, UHLC places well regionally as well as in Texas.

On the money side, UHLC is a public school with $13K/yr tution (in-state). Factoring in living expenses at about $10-15K/yr, I would only be looking at about $70K in debt as opposed to the $100K debt if I went to MSU (even with the 50% scholarship).

What do you think?

Err... I don't know where you pulled $13K a year tuition from.

Full-time (30 hours) Tuition & Fees
Texas Residents - $18,477 Non-Residents - $ 25,977

Part-time (26 hours) Tuition & Fees
Texas Residents - $ 17,960 Non-Residents - $ 24,486

That was for 2008-2009 (so you can probably expect that to go up for 2009-2010) according to http://www.law.uh.edu/admissions/

Even still....MSU is a private institution that will costs $31K/yr not including COL expenses....plus from what I read on US News, the median starting salaries for (75th percentile) UH law grads is somewhere around $140K....for MSU this number is somewhere in the $70K range....so effectively even without scholarship assistance at UH, I'd still come out cheaper than I would at MSU even with scholarship assistance...and with much better job prospects (all things being equal). Plus I've spent both my UG and MBA years at MSU, so I'm feeling a little more biased at the thought of going to school in Houston (where it doesn't snow in the winter) as opposed to spending 3 more years in East Lansing, MI....

sounds like I just talked myself into going to UHLC and becoming a cougar! Of course none of this means anything if I don't make it off the waitlist :-(

davend99

Postby davend99 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:48 am

"the median starting salaries for (75th percentile) UH law grads is somewhere around $140K"

are you sure about that.....seems pretty high

Smart_Guy

Postby Smart_Guy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:56 am

davend99 wrote:"the median starting salaries for (75th percentile) UH law grads is somewhere around $140K"

are you sure about that.....seems pretty high

UHLC
Private sector starting salaries (25% percentile): $60,000

Private sector starting salaries (75% percentile): $145,000

Median private sector starting salaries: $90,000

source: US News & World Report, 2009 Online Edition

Lawsixsigma

Postby Lawsixsigma » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:13 am

....And once you factor in the cost of living here in Houston, the biglaw opportunities and the not-too-bad economy state of Texas (and that's been somewhat modest), I think you are better off in the long run going to UH Law. Just my 2 cents.

maxcap

Postby maxcap » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:06 am

Oh the anticipation......

rachel.almaraz

Postby rachel.almaraz » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:25 am

Anyone think we'll hear something this week? Something makes me think we won't hear until after the holiday weekend....

G_Girl4098

Postby G_Girl4098 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:50 am

Anyone know if our status will change back to "in review" again?

LBHTX

Postby LBHTX » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:12 am

No. Your status checker will not change...I asked the same question and received this response. (Email sent June 9, 2009)

The status check will not show any change, but we will send you updates via email to keep in informed as to where we are in the process. We will make decisions starting near the end of this month.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you!

Jamie Ann West, J.D.

Assistant Dean for Admissions

maxcap

Postby maxcap » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:14 pm

So, I just phoned the admissions office and they said that they will only notify people getting off of the waitlist via snail mail with no prior notification of whether or not you got off of the list (i.e. kiss getting a phone call or email goodbye?). The person I spoke to also said that they will not even begin mailing release-acceptance letters till mid/late July. This really sucks for me because I am an out of state hopeful...

daisy buchanan

Postby daisy buchanan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:18 pm

that pretty much sucks for all of us on the waitlist

s1lent

Postby s1lent » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:19 pm

That's ridiculous; and the snail mail thing is like adding insult to injury. blah. :cry: Is everyone planning on waiting it out or committing somewhere else?

hras

Postby hras » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:31 pm

s1lent wrote:That's ridiculous; and the snail mail thing is like adding insult to injury. blah. :cry: Is everyone planning on waiting it out or committing somewhere else?

I have committed elsewhere. UH needs to give answers quicker. Oh well I guess they didn't need my money however there were other schools who wanted it so I will not be at UH

maxcap

Postby maxcap » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:37 am

I plan on waiting it out. UH is my top choice and I am having faith.

daisy buchanan

Postby daisy buchanan » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:32 am

I just don't trust them when it comes to snail mail. They 'accidentally' sent me a rejection letter and then sent me an e-mail days later telling me I'd really actually been waitlisted.

I've committed elsewhere, but I'd still go to UH if they extended the invitation... !

G_Girl4098

Postby G_Girl4098 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:10 pm

maxcap wrote:So, I just phoned the admissions office and they said that they will only notify people getting off of the waitlist via snail mail with no prior notification of whether or not you got off of the list (i.e. kiss getting a phone call or email goodbye?). The person I spoke to also said that they will not even begin mailing release-acceptance letters till mid/late July. This really sucks for me because I am an out of state hopeful...

That's weird. They notified people getting off the waitlist last year by email.

maxcap

Postby maxcap » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:30 pm

G_Girl4098 wrote:
maxcap wrote:So, I just phoned the admissions office and they said that they will only notify people getting off of the waitlist via snail mail with no prior notification of whether or not you got off of the list (i.e. kiss getting a phone call or email goodbye?). The person I spoke to also said that they will not even begin mailing release-acceptance letters till mid/late July. This really sucks for me because I am an out of state hopeful...

That's weird. They notified people getting off the waitlist last year by email.

It seems as though it varies from year to year. I saw that they emailed people during one years admissions cycle and called people the next admissions cycle.
Do you know around what date they emailed the people and if the messages were sent out on the same day or as they reviewed each file?

maxcap

Postby maxcap » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:46 pm

Wait, I called again (yes I am minorly obessed and felt the need to call one more time) and this time Kelly Polk picked up and said they have not begun to review waitlist applicants and will phone people who get off of the list.

Lawsixsigma

Postby Lawsixsigma » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:57 pm

The Suspense! It's Killing Me!! Just called the admissions office and was told the waitlist review will start at the end of the month. Anyone heard anything contrary?

daisy buchanan

Postby daisy buchanan » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:59 pm

Lawsixsigma wrote:The Suspense! It's Killing Me!! Just called the admissions office and was told the waitlist review will start at the end of the month. Anyone heard anything contrary?

WHAT?! Didn't their last email say it would start at the beginning of July?

G_Girl4098

Postby G_Girl4098 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:23 pm

daisy buchanan wrote:
Lawsixsigma wrote:The Suspense! It's Killing Me!! Just called the admissions office and was told the waitlist review will start at the end of the month. Anyone heard anything contrary?

WHAT?! Didn't their last email say it would start at the beginning of July?

That's what the email said. They told someone else who called that they would start notifiying people mid to late July.
Seems like you get a different answer depending on who you talk to.

Daisy did you get the name of the person you talked to?

G_Girl4098

Postby G_Girl4098 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:47 pm

So at this point are there any part-time, or even full-time, people on here that haven't gotten any kind of decision (being waitlisted counts as a decision) since they applied?

How many part-time people are waiting out the waitlist?

How many full-time?

LBHTX

Postby LBHTX » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:43 pm

I'm part-time and holding out for the waitlist. I have been accepted to STCL and will attend there part-time if I don't hear from UHOUSTON...hoping to hear from them soon.

LBHTX

Postby LBHTX » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:32 am

received this email yesterday (07-08-2009)

The Asst. Dean for Admissions is in the final stages of confirming the deposited students, so the earliest that we would be able to begin pulling from the waitlist would probably be next week.

Kelly Polk, JD

Assistant Director of Admissions

G_Girl4098

Postby G_Girl4098 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:28 am

LBHTX wrote:received this email yesterday (07-08-2009)

The Asst. Dean for Admissions is in the final stages of confirming the deposited students, so the earliest that we would be able to begin pulling from the waitlist would probably be next week.

Kelly Polk, JD

Assistant Director of Admissions

*Groan*

Do we know the latest they will pull people from the WL? I'm assuming up until the day classes start (8/24).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”