In at University of Houston

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BigAristotle

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby BigAristotle » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:10 pm

I agree with houstonlonghorn on this one. U of H doesn't end up being that much cheaper; sticker price for in-state students at SMU vs. U of H is about 15k/year, or so. Add in the fact that it appears that almost everyone admitted on lsn has received some form of aid (even low amounts of 4-7k a year) really even out the two schools. From all reports I've heard, Baylor is more generous with money.

In terms of the admissions office staff, U of H is by far the worst I've dealt with (saying something because I've talked to ~30 schools and their admissions office). However, I've had pleasant experiences with their financial aid officer, Lisa, and Asst. Dean West. I think the actual students or office workers are fairly atrocious, though.

I'm still holding out an outside shot of hope that I'll get a fair portion of grants or rerouted scholarships in my financial aid package...which I'm still waiting on :(.

smiley87

Postby smiley87 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:09 pm

Yeah. Baylor and UH both rank 55, and Baylor gave me full tuition + grant while UH just scoffs at the idea. SMU gave me $20K so it'd be about the same as paying for UH. I don't know where they get off all high and mighty.

I'd like to say though when I withdrew, Kelly Polk replied with a really nice message. But then they kicked me out of the facebook group. I LIKE TO DO THAT MYSELF!!!

texas08

Postby texas08 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:32 pm

smiley87 wrote:I LIKE TO DO THAT MYSELF!!!

... I'm a big kid now! (to the theme of the old pull-ups commercials)

:D Sorry it was just what popped into my head and I had to go with it. But in all seriousness, I HATE UofH and other people should too. Due to their extreme inefficiency and lack of communication I never withdrew because I was still waiting on some information (which I'm STILL waiting for, 2 months later). So that might have opened up a spot for someone....

ettalynn

Postby ettalynn » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:23 pm

Any LGBT students planning on enrolling for next fall? I'm deciding between U of H and Hastings in SF for next year. U of H is cheaper even without financial aid and is near my family but I'm a bit worried about the lack of community. Anyone?

Also... I am seriously frustrated with the financial aid office at this school. They said packages would be out in April but based on the email correspondence I've had with a woman who refuses to answer any of my questions directly this info won't be out until June. They won't even know what next year's tuition will be until June! I was disheartened by U of H's dire facilities compared to other schools when I visited but willing to put up with it because of the low tuition and cost of living but you would think they could at least treat potential students like they care whether you attend.

joonix

Postby joonix » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:25 pm

as has been said, scholarships have already been given out. the only thing left is need based aid which is through the FAFSA and that's really for students who are attending, most other schools haven't given that out yet.

and to those who compare SMU w/ schlarship to UH tuition and say it's not that bad -- well, just keep in mind that there are more scholarships given than can be renewed.

texas08

Postby texas08 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:01 am

joonix wrote: most other schools haven't given that out yet.

not to be completely contradictory but UofH is the only school to which I have been accepted that I haven't received any financial aid information

yet another reason to hate UofH (although to be fair, i think i'm mostly bitter that they are sucking so much that i now have to go out of state :D )

smiley87

Postby smiley87 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:25 am

another reason why i withdrew is i looked at last year's facebook group and people didn't get their financial aid notice until late may/early june. that's super late.

joonix wrote:as has been said, scholarships have already been given out. the only thing left is need based aid which is through the FAFSA and that's really for students who are attending, most other schools haven't given that out yet.

and to those who compare SMU w/ schlarship to UH tuition and say it's not that bad -- well, just keep in mind that there are more scholarships given than can be renewed.

SMU scholarships for the most part require only for one to be in good standing. and SMU is 10 ranks above UH, so it's still not acceptable what UH is doing.

tjbrenner

Postby tjbrenner » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:20 pm

I just went to "Decision Rendered" today (4/16) after being in review since 3/26.. Very scared! =\

memeME

Postby memeME » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:02 pm

i can't stand this much longer

joonix

Postby joonix » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:04 pm

smiley87 wrote:another reason why i withdrew is i looked at last year's facebook group and people didn't get their financial aid notice until late may/early june. that's super late.

joonix wrote:as has been said, scholarships have already been given out. the only thing left is need based aid which is through the FAFSA and that's really for students who are attending, most other schools haven't given that out yet.

SMU scholarships for the most part require only for one to be in good standing. and SMU is 10 ranks above UH, so it's still not acceptable what UH is doing.

Like I said, we're not talking about scholarships here. I'm talking about FINANCIAL AID, which is for students who are attending.

misssle

Postby misssle » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:53 pm

tjbrenner wrote:I just went to "Decision Rendered" today (4/16) after being in review since 3/26.. Very scared! =\

+1

I only applied because they sent me a fee waiver. We'll see what happens.

ettalynn

Postby ettalynn » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:05 pm

texas08 wrote:
joonix wrote: most other schools haven't given that out yet.

not to be completely contradictory but UofH is the only school to which I have been accepted that I haven't received any financial aid information

yet another reason to hate UofH (although to be fair, i think i'm mostly bitter that they are sucking so much that i now have to go out of state :D )

Me too. All the other schools have at least been in communication. One school told me I would be reconsidered for a scholarship when they found out who had and had not accepted the offers they had already made and had no qualms about extending the deposit deadline until I knew what the complete financial package would be. U of H scoffed at the idea of extending the deadline...

To the credit of U of H, though, the price is competitive with other schools even if they offer $0 scholarship and grant money. It's one of the few schools out there with in-state tuition under $20K.

OasisFan

Postby OasisFan » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:31 pm

I just emailed them and asked them to switch my application to the PT Evening Program...I noticed that UH has not accepted a single LSAT Score below a 160 for the day program, and I guess that is because they are trying to increase their medians.

Oh well

memeME

Postby memeME » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:37 pm

wow, how many people out there are just waiting to hear anything at all. no word last week and no word this week either. AMAZING!!??

bobothecat

Postby bobothecat » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:44 pm

I haven't heard anything at all! By LSN history, I thought PT would've heard by now.

mardimar

Postby mardimar » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:59 pm

Last edited by mardimar on Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

memeME

Postby memeME » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:54 am

Does UH have a depost or withdrawal deadline? I was unable to locate one on their web site, as their calendars all seem to be from previous years!!??

smiley87

Postby smiley87 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:20 pm

the deposit deadline was april 15th. i'm sure the withdrawal deadline is a week from then and there's no news. haha.

ageha

Postby ageha » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:47 pm

Got my acceptance in mail today/yesterday. Status checker switched to decision on 4/2. I wonder what took them so long...

Email notice came earlier on 4/16, straight into my spam folder. :shock: Status checker added a note of decision letter mailed on that same day.

what's encouraging is that on the letter I got, which is dated 4/16, I was told to make a seat deposit by 4/15. That's a bit challenging, dont' you think?

I'll call them tomorrow and ask for extension plus my fin package. Not gonna decide without a quote at least. :roll:

lawkid786

Postby lawkid786 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:50 pm

So have any PT'ers heard yet? According to LSN Houston sure has taken their sweet time in recent years...waiting until May for decisions. Thought I would have heard by now.

G_Girl4098

Postby G_Girl4098 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:43 pm

lawkid786 wrote:So have any PT'ers heard yet? According to LSN Houston sure has taken their sweet time in recent years...waiting until May for decisions. Thought I would have heard by now.

Yes. I'm PT and got waitlisted.

OasisFan

Postby OasisFan » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:45 pm

I emailed them Friday morning to switch my application to PT, and still haven't heard a reply back saying they changed it, nor does it say Part-Time on my status checker. I'm hoping they pick up the pace soon so may be able to hear back from them.

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:21 pm

OasisFan wrote:I emailed them Friday morning to switch my application to PT, and still haven't heard a reply back saying they changed it, nor does it say Part-Time on my status checker. I'm hoping they pick up the pace soon so may be able to hear back from them.

Good luck with that. Once you're "In Review" they won't change you from FT to PT.

OasisFan

Postby OasisFan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:14 am

Sparky wrote:
OasisFan wrote:I emailed them Friday morning to switch my application to PT, and still haven't heard a reply back saying they changed it, nor does it say Part-Time on my status checker. I'm hoping they pick up the pace soon so may be able to hear back from them.

Good luck with that. Once you're "In Review" they won't change you from FT to PT.

I'm not in review...my app has said "complete" since march 5th...(I retook the Feb LSAT so it went complete "twice")

mardimar

Postby mardimar » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:57 pm

Last edited by mardimar on Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”