Page 18 of 80

Re: In at University of Houston

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:02 pm
by smiley87
cachua wrote:
Scholarships and financial aid are awarded separately. Scholarships are awarded by the Office of Admissions, and applicants selected for scholarships have been notified via email and a letter sent to the current address in our records.

Financial aid is awarded based on the FAFSA by the UH Office of Financial Aid. The bulk of your financial aid award will be in the form of student loans; Stafford loans are awarded up to the 20,500 limit, and then students may use Graduate Plus Loans up to the cost of education. The Financial Aid office has begun downloading Student Aid Reports from the Department of Education, and awarding will begin next week. Admitted students who have received their Peoplesoft ID should check their financial aid checklist to ensure that no additional documents are needed before they go through awarding.

Lisa Buentello
UHLC Office of Admissions


Does this mean that if you haven't received an e-mail yet, you're not getting anything?


i saw that also. i e-mailed them to ask if you haven't gotten an offer if it means you're not qualified. will let you know if i hear back. =)

Re: In at University of Houston

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:07 pm
by BigAristotle
They haven't sent out any financial awards or the like, I believe someone earlier stated that UH would begin awarding them in mid April.

Re: In at University of Houston

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:11 pm
by smiley87
Hey, they work fast! Just saw the update:
Scholarships and financial aid are awarded separately. Scholarships are awarded by the Office of Admissions; we have made our initial scholarship awards, and applicants selected for scholarships have been notified via email and a letter sent to the current address in our records. While we are not planning to make any additional awards right now, we are happy to consider you should additional funds become available later in the spring or summer.

Financial aid is awarded based on the FAFSA by the UH Office of Financial Aid. The bulk of your financial aid award will be in the form of student loans; Stafford loans are awarded up to the 20,500 limit, and then students may use Graduate Plus Loans up to the cost of education. The Financial Aid office has begun downloading Student Aid Reports from the Department of Education, and awarding will begin next week. Admitted students who have received their Peoplesoft ID should check their financial aid checklist to ensure that no additional documents are needed before they go through awarding.

Lisa Buentello
UHLC Office of Admissions


I like UH a whole lot, but I don't understand how all the other schools manage to make scholarship offers early on and pretty generously too and UH can't. Baylor, similarly ranked, is offering me a full ride while it looks like I'm getting nothing from UH.

Re: In at University of Houston

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:23 pm
by nontradintexas
So out of 80+ acceptances on LSN there is one guy who got $15k??? I realize that's a self-selecting group, but that's really slim. Oh well, at least that guy withdrew, so maybe they'll split his $15k evenly between the rest of us!

Re: In at University of Houston

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:28 pm
by smiley87
nontrad, i thought the same thing!! and it made me laugh thinking we each would get like $60 from them (assuming the enrolling class is 250 people). i guess that's like waiving the application fee?

Re: In at University of Houston

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:38 pm
by eamonbriggs08
smiley87 wrote:Hey, they work fast! Just saw the update:
Scholarships and financial aid are awarded separately. Scholarships are awarded by the Office of Admissions; we have made our initial scholarship awards, and applicants selected for scholarships have been notified via email and a letter sent to the current address in our records. While we are not planning to make any additional awards right now, we are happy to consider you should additional funds become available later in the spring or summer.

Financial aid is awarded based on the FAFSA by the UH Office of Financial Aid. The bulk of your financial aid award will be in the form of student loans; Stafford loans are awarded up to the 20,500 limit, and then students may use Graduate Plus Loans up to the cost of education. The Financial Aid office has begun downloading Student Aid Reports from the Department of Education, and awarding will begin next week. Admitted students who have received their Peoplesoft ID should check their financial aid checklist to ensure that no additional documents are needed before they go through awarding.

Lisa Buentello
UHLC Office of Admissions


I like UH a whole lot, but I don't understand how all the other schools manage to make scholarship offers early on and pretty generously too and UH can't. Baylor, similarly ranked, is offering me a full ride while it looks like I'm getting nothing from UH.


Yeah, but you have to live in Waco if you go to Baylor. Take it from someone who went to Baylor for his freshman year of undergrad and then got the hell out, Waco is a terrible place to live.

Re: In at University of Houston

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:44 pm
by smiley87
eamonbriggs08 wrote:
smiley87 wrote:Hey, they work fast! Just saw the update:
Scholarships and financial aid are awarded separately. Scholarships are awarded by the Office of Admissions; we have made our initial scholarship awards, and applicants selected for scholarships have been notified via email and a letter sent to the current address in our records. While we are not planning to make any additional awards right now, we are happy to consider you should additional funds become available later in the spring or summer.

Financial aid is awarded based on the FAFSA by the UH Office of Financial Aid. The bulk of your financial aid award will be in the form of student loans; Stafford loans are awarded up to the 20,500 limit, and then students may use Graduate Plus Loans up to the cost of education. The Financial Aid office has begun downloading Student Aid Reports from the Department of Education, and awarding will begin next week. Admitted students who have received their Peoplesoft ID should check their financial aid checklist to ensure that no additional documents are needed before they go through awarding.

Lisa Buentello
UHLC Office of Admissions


I like UH a whole lot, but I don't understand how all the other schools manage to make scholarship offers early on and pretty generously too and UH can't. Baylor, similarly ranked, is offering me a full ride while it looks like I'm getting nothing from UH.


Yeah, but you have to live in Waco if you go to Baylor. Take it from someone who went to Baylor for his freshman year of undergrad and then got the hell out, Waco is a terrible place to live.




i don't know. their financial aid offer is pretty hard to beat. full tuition + $5K grant and all stafford loans. Housing in Waco is cheap enough for me to feel like I could make it work going to law school for free. and everyone seems so nice!

Re: In at University of Houston

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:48 pm
by nontradintexas
smiley87 wrote:nontrad, i thought the same thing!! and it made me laugh thinking we each would get like $60 from them (assuming the enrolling class is 250 people). i guess that's like waiving the application fee?


Just called the admissions office - our $60 checks are all in the mail!! Yea! Finally some good news!

:D

Re: In at University of Houston

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:14 pm
by BigAristotle
Just got an email re: an Accepted Students & Alumni reception for April 9th; anyone thinking of going?

Re: In at University of Houston

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:19 pm
by jaxon05
Did anyone get that PeopleSoft ID e-mail who can't get a password e-mailed to them? I followed all of their instructions but whenever I request a new password one does not get e-mailed to me. Does anyone else have this problem?

Re: In at University of Houston

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:28 pm
by rubies
BigAristotle wrote:Just got an email re: an Accepted Students & Alumni reception for April 9th; anyone thinking of going?


i'm going if i can take the day off from work.

also, did you get the email about preview day on April 10th? what do they mean by "registration begins at 8.30am for BOTH dates" ??

Re: In at University of Houston

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:08 am
by BigAristotle
I just checked their Events Calendar, NEITHER days/events are on them....

Re: In at University of Houston

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:11 am
by A'nold
Anyone know when pt. applicants will start to hear?

Re: In at University of Houston

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:05 am
by davidin
...

Re: In at University of Houston

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:12 am
by G_Girl4098
A'nold wrote:Anyone know when pt. applicants will start to hear?


They have already started notifying PT people

Re: In at University of Houston

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:32 pm
by burgundy
I don't know what they're thinking, making so few scholarship offers (granted, LSN and TLS posters are not be wholly representative samples, but there should exist some form of correlation).

UH was seriously #1 on my list because of its location, but I'm not sure I'm willing to shell out sticker price for it.

Re: In at University of Houston

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:41 pm
by Rocky Estoppel
So it's a for sure thing that if you haven't gotten a scholarship offer - you aren't going to get one?

Re: In at University of Houston

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:50 pm
by memeME
If you are not planning to attend UH, would you please withdraw to make spots for more of us who definitely want to go? Thanks so much!

Re: In at University of Houston

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:34 pm
by G_Girl4098
memeME wrote:If you are not planning to attend UH, would you please withdraw to make spots for more of us who definitely want to go? Thanks so much!

+1

Re: In at University of Houston

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:47 pm
by BigAristotle
kak23 wrote:So it's a for sure thing that if you haven't gotten a scholarship offer - you aren't going to get one?


I don't think so; it depends on your acceptance date. I haven't even received a Peoplesoft ID/Email yet. And even then, they may be waiting to evaluate the FAFSA info?

Re: In at University of Houston

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:50 pm
by smiley87
BigAristotle wrote:
kak23 wrote:So it's a for sure thing that if you haven't gotten a scholarship offer - you aren't going to get one?


I don't think so; it depends on your acceptance date. I haven't even received a Peoplesoft ID/Email yet. And even then, they may be waiting to evaluate the FAFSA info?


I e-mailed them, and in fact, they are done making scholarship offers. Apparently they're really dry this year.

Re: In at University of Houston

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:00 pm
by smiley87
on an unrelated note, i'm starting to think that UH ranking might drop this year. If that's the case, I don't really want to pay sticker for it... can anyone else weigh in?

Re: In at University of Houston

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:59 pm
by burgundy
kak23 wrote:So it's a for sure thing that if you haven't gotten a scholarship offer - you aren't going to get one?


On the phone, I was told something along the lines of .... "it's possible that more scholarships will be available later" but they definitely won't have another round before April 15th.

Re: In at University of Houston

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:59 pm
by yoyo
smiley87 wrote:on an unrelated note, i'm starting to think that UH ranking might drop this year. If that's the case, I don't really want to pay sticker for it... can anyone else weigh in?


deleted

Re: In at University of Houston

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:12 pm
by A'nold
Lol ^^^^^ I used to be like you dude, but I'm telling you, if UH moves up to #48 or so instead of #55 or if it drops to #65 it will mean nothing. UH owns the Houston market and the only other real competition comes from a little sprinkling of the t14 and UT, whose graduates spread out over the state. UH's ranking can do whatever it wants and I'll be just fine going there.