In at University of Houston

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BigAristotle

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby BigAristotle » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:10 pm

In via Email the morning of 3/20, applied/complete 1/28.

166, 3.2

My cycle has been disastrous, and this is my first acceptance; terribly excited about it now.

cachua

Postby cachua » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:25 pm

BigAristotle wrote:In via Email the morning of 3/20, applied/complete 1/28.

166, 3.2

My cycle has been disastrous, and this is my first acceptance; terribly excited about it now.

congrats for getting in! Looking at your stats and your choice of schools, I am VERY surprised this is your first acceptance. But worry no more!

agr0n9

Postby agr0n9 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:34 pm

Does anyone know if the waitlist is ranked?

argentinabrends

Postby argentinabrends » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:20 pm

I have YET to hear. I've apparently been in review since 2/19...urgh.

eamonbriggs08

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:04 am

I feel you argentina, this wait is painful. With your stats though, the LSN graph shows you as a shoe-in. Good luck!

G_Girl4098

Postby G_Girl4098 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:07 am

agr0n9 wrote:Does anyone know if the waitlist is ranked?

It is not.

--LinkRemoved--
Q: My application has been waitlisted. When will I receive a final decision? May I submit additional information? Is the waitlist ranked?
A: The Admissions Committee will begin to review applicants on the waitlist after all decisions have been mailed, generally in late May to mid June. The waitlist is not ranked. Candidates on the waitlist will receive a second full-file review by the Committee, so candidates are encouraged to submit additional new information, such as updated resumes and statements of interest. No set number of seats in the entering class are reserved for candidates on the waitlist, and decisions to admit candidates from the waitlist are made on a space available basis.

argentinabrends

Postby argentinabrends » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:28 pm

Whatever...I'm withdrawing and sending them my thoughts in an email. I'm going to a better ranked school anyway, so UH can just deal.

lawschoolchick73

Postby lawschoolchick73 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:58 pm

I wish I had the nerve to withdrawl my application... haha.. I've thought about it, or just not accepting them after they get back to me, but then I feel like if it's the best option fo rme I wouldn't wanna screw myself over. lol. but in all honesty, their admissions process is terrible. If a school with the exact same ranking got back to me in a week and higher ones soon after, I don't understand why they need 5 months to look over my app?!

lethe405

Postby lethe405 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:03 pm

eamonbriggs08 wrote:Another question to everyone

I get the impression that people have been receiving acceptance decisions via e-mail and rejection decisions via snail mail. Moreover, accepted people have told me that their status update to 'decision rendered' came at the same time or shortly after they received their acceptance e-mail so they were not expecting it when it came. However, the rejection letter, taking a few days to arrive, came well after the 'decision rendered' status change.

So my question is, do you have the same impression as me? If so, isn't it fair, albeit unfortunate, to conclude that seeing a 'decision rendered' status before receiving an acceptance e-mail implicitly means that you've been rejected?

My status checker changed to "decision rendered" at least a week before I received my acceptance e-mail (in January). There seems to be no clear pattern.

overprivileged

Postby overprivileged » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:11 am

I decided to call this morning to check on my app. After being on hold for 11 minutes, I was finally transferred to the admissions office, where my call went to voicemail after several rings. The message said that the admissions office would be closed today and tomorrow, reopening on Monday, April 30th. I don't know what the occasion is that justifies an already dilatory admissions process to be delayed for 4 days in the height of the admissions season, but I suppose we shouldn't expect any news until at least next week.

G_Girl4098

Postby G_Girl4098 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:19 am

overprivileged wrote:I decided to call this morning to check on my app. After being on hold for 11 minutes, I was finally transferred to the admissions office, where my call went to voicemail after several rings. The message said that the admissions office would be closed today and tomorrow, reopening on Monday, April 30th. I don't know what the occasion is that justifies an already dilatory admissions process to be delayed for 4 days in the height of the admissions season, but I suppose we shouldn't expect any news until at least next week.

I hope you meant MARCH 30th.

lawschoolchick73

Postby lawschoolchick73 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:25 am

Wow. That's ridiculous. Who else on here has been so turned off by UH by this process that they are starting to discount them in their decisions, even though it started out as their top choice? Because that's definitely me. Tulane or Baylor will probably be seeing me in the fall now........

On a positivie note, hopefully they are closed so that they are focusing on making decisions instead of answering phones? Otherwise, they are ridiculous.

overprivileged

Postby overprivileged » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:37 am

G_Girl4098 wrote:
overprivileged wrote:I decided to call this morning to check on my app. After being on hold for 11 minutes, I was finally transferred to the admissions office, where my call went to voicemail after several rings. The message said that the admissions office would be closed today and tomorrow, reopening on Monday, April 30th. I don't know what the occasion is that justifies an already dilatory admissions process to be delayed for 4 days in the height of the admissions season, but I suppose we shouldn't expect any news until at least next week.

I hope you meant MARCH 30th.

Oops, yeah, sorry.

G_Girl4098

Postby G_Girl4098 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:44 pm

lawschoolchick73 wrote:Wow. That's ridiculous. Who else on here has been so turned off by UH by this process that they are starting to discount them in their decisions, even though it started out as their top choice? Because that's definitely me. Tulane or Baylor will probably be seeing me in the fall now........

On a positivie note, hopefully they are closed so that they are focusing on making decisions instead of answering phones? Otherwise, they are ridiculous.

I don't know. Baylor was really fast and SMU was about average but along with UH I'm still waiting to hear from 2 schools in California. One of which I haven't even gone into review yet. I think some schools are just speedier than others. Also it looks bad for their numbers if they accept all these people and then the majority of those people end up going to other schools.

lawschoolchick73

Postby lawschoolchick73 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:16 pm

It's not even necessarily the wait for me... There's some other schools that I'm still waiting on too BUT it is the fact that I did early admission and they told me they'd get back to me by February 28th (written on their website, also talked to admission 2x and they told me that date), then they still didn't give me an answer and they told me within the next couple weeks max., and now it's past that even.... The other schools have at least told me something or emailed me someting or at least told me that my numbers weren't high enough for early and they're relooking at my app later. UH just hasn't done anything and my numbers are still in/ above their range!

agr0n9

Postby agr0n9 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:43 pm

I've heard from SMU and UH. Still waiting on Baylor, Tech (Even though I'm not going but I'm just to lazy to withdraw my app), and Washington and Lee. I've been complete at all of these schools since early November.

eamonbriggs08

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:03 pm

lethe405 wrote:
eamonbriggs08 wrote:Another question to everyone

I get the impression that people have been receiving acceptance decisions via e-mail and rejection decisions via snail mail. Moreover, accepted people have told me that their status update to 'decision rendered' came at the same time or shortly after they received their acceptance e-mail so they were not expecting it when it came. However, the rejection letter, taking a few days to arrive, came well after the 'decision rendered' status change.

So my question is, do you have the same impression as me? If so, isn't it fair, albeit unfortunate, to conclude that seeing a 'decision rendered' status before receiving an acceptance e-mail implicitly means that you've been rejected?

My status checker changed to "decision rendered" at least a week before I received my acceptance e-mail (in January). There seems to be no clear pattern.

That's good to know. Thanks for the update.

eamonbriggs08

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:05 pm

lawschoolchick73 wrote:Wow. That's ridiculous. Who else on here has been so turned off by UH by this process that they are starting to discount them in their decisions, even though it started out as their top choice? Because that's definitely me. Tulane or Baylor will probably be seeing me in the fall now........

On a positive note, hopefully they are closed so that they are focusing on making decisions instead of answering phones? Otherwise, they are ridiculous.

I think you are right. They did the same thing a couple weeks ago during spring break and closed the office wed-fri and a lot of people got decisions during that period.

NickS

Postby NickS » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:55 pm

Scholarship Info received today via email.

nontradintexas

Postby nontradintexas » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:15 pm

NickS wrote:Scholarship Info received today via email.

Actual scholarship info? Wow! Are you willing to share the amount & terms?

I received an email with login info for the UH student site along with a generic letter about financial aid.

Anyone else with scholarship news??

scd001

Postby scd001 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:21 pm

I can't believe u of h is taking so long. My application was complete around 1/10 and I have yet to get an answer. I recieved an email about how they needed to get a replacement report. At this point with seat deposits I can't believe Houston will not give us an answer. There is no excuse! Houston was my first choice but I have seat deposits due the 1st so I'm not sure what to do.

burgundy

Postby burgundy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:09 am

nontradintexas wrote:
NickS wrote:Scholarship Info received today via email.

Actual scholarship info? Wow! Are you willing to share the amount & terms?

I received an email with login info for the UH student site along with a generic letter about financial aid.

Anyone else with scholarship news??

Also curious...when I talked to admissions waaaay back in December, they said that full and half ride scholarships would require you to be in the top 25% (or top 10%? Don't remember the exact #s).

I got the email for the UH student site too, tried desperately to find any kind of pertinent finaid info - nothing.

eamonbriggs08

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:00 am

I GOT ACCEPTED THIS MORNING!!!! 3/26!!!!!

wildcats12

Postby wildcats12 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:07 am

eamonbriggs08 wrote:I GOT ACCEPTED THIS MORNING!!!! 3/26!!!!!

status just went to decision rendered....160 3.45 oos...chances? how did they notify you? congrats!

kellbrite

Postby kellbrite » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:29 am

eamonbriggs08 wrote:I GOT ACCEPTED THIS MORNING!!!! 3/26!!!!!

Congratulations! We've got identical stats, and aren't Trinity and Southwestern pretty similar schools? This bodes well for the in-state kids, I hope.

I also went to 'decision rendered,' this morning. I still haven't heard anything, but I'm glad it's finally the 160s turn!

Have any of you also applied to South Texas? I'm desperate to hear if anyone has news on financial aid.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”