In at University of Houston

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Rocky Estoppel

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:56 pm

Congrats, would you consider Houston over Minnesota?

araiza99

Postby araiza99 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:00 pm

kak23 wrote:Congrats, would you consider Houston over Minnesota?

I don't want to say something negative right now - they just accepted me. :D

NOLAbball

Postby NOLAbball » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:01 pm

araiza99 wrote:

Congrats! Houston is a great school! :D

Rocky Estoppel

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:03 pm

NOLAbball wrote:
araiza99 wrote:

Congrats! Houston is a great school! :D

I think so too. You never know what scholarship money could do to sway decisions. I'm strongly considering Houston but money definitely is a factor in my decision.

agr0n9

Postby agr0n9 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:42 pm

My status check is still "In Review" but it has changed to today's date. Eeeek.

texasboy

Postby texasboy » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:42 pm

hey for FAFSA purposes, do any of you guys know if the Law school would be under University of Houston -Downtown...code 003612 ..or would it be university of Houston-university park...code 003652? Help is greatly appreciated...sorry to kinda hijack the thread but i figured someone on here would know

joonix

Postby joonix » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:00 pm

texasboy wrote:hey for FAFSA purposes, do any of you guys know if the Law school would be under University of Houston -Downtown...code 003612 ..or would it be university of Houston-university park...code 003652? Help is greatly appreciated...sorry to kinda hijack the thread but i figured someone on here would know

It would not be Downtown. University Park is what UH-Main Campus was called for a short while in the past. The LS has its own FinAid office, so you should call and find out what the code is. If it's not University Park, please post here, since I (and many others I imagine) will be filling out our FAFSA soon.

Dave O

Postby Dave O » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:25 am

You use the code for the one mentioned. It was in the FAQ somewhere...

lawschoolchick73

Postby lawschoolchick73 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:17 am

Just wanted to comment on a few things I saw..

I was told by an inside source that the admits they sent out early and quicker were for 161 and above, which would make sense, as on LSN that's all that it has been. They will still be sending out more admits! This I was promised! haha

I don't really understand the rest of their methods. I know it wasn't by date you sent in application (although that's what it's supposed to be), as I had mine complete in October and know others (with lower scores) that sent in MUCH later and went to file in review over a week before me. Anyways, I hope to hear back soon- my file has been in review for a week. All I know is their admit process has been quite annoying.. haha.. I understand the higher scores first deal, but disregarding when a file went in and looking at other people that are below or around you? Crazy.

Good luck to everyone.

Also, about the FAFSA, as the other person stated too, it is NOT the Downtown one- it is the PARK one.

southernroots

Postby southernroots » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:45 am

I really hope they send out the other acceptances real soon. I have been in review for a month and a half, and I have noticed people with lesser numbers getting decisions rendered. This waiting game is killing me. My top 2 (UH and Tulane) are the only ones I am really waiting on to make my final decision since I've heard from pretty much everyone else.

rubies

Postby rubies » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:34 pm

lawschoolchick73 wrote:Just wanted to comment on a few things I saw..

I was told by an inside source that the admits they sent out early and quicker were for 161 and above, which would make sense, as on LSN that's all that it has been. They will still be sending out more admits! This I was promised! haha

I don't really understand the rest of their methods. I know it wasn't by date you sent in application (although that's what it's supposed to be), as I had mine complete in October and know others (with lower scores) that sent in MUCH later and went to file in review over a week before me. Anyways, I hope to hear back soon- my file has been in review for a week. All I know is their admit process has been quite annoying.. haha.. I understand the higher scores first deal, but disregarding when a file went in and looking at other people that are below or around you? Crazy.

Good luck to everyone.

Also, about the FAFSA, as the other person stated too, it is NOT the Downtown one- it is the PARK one.

At least there is hope!

But from LSN and from current students I've spoken with, UH may send out acceptance letters as late as May (and not just for the WLs.) I really hope this doesn't happen, because it will be too late to withdraw deposit money from back up schools.

Also, I have been "in review" since 01/20/09 but now that date has changed to 02/17/09. Strongly hope it's a good sign...Anyone else show the same??

agr0n9

Postby agr0n9 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:43 pm

^^^^ I'm in the exact same boat.

joonix

Postby joonix » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:51 am

lawschoolchick73 wrote:Just wanted to comment on a few things I saw..

Good luck to everyone.

Most law schools admit like this. They don't necessarily go right down lsat scores, but rolling admissions is pretty much a myth in the law school admissions process.

Archon D: terrorface

Postby Archon D: terrorface » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:58 am

I think Houston is a tough school to pass up for in state students who intend on practicing in the region - especially if they plan on practicing in Houston.

Although the allure of the Big Ten was something that had me going for a while, you really need to think about what market your school is if it is indeed outside of the very top echelon of schools. Someone mentioned they're thinking about Minnesota - think of it this way: consider cost and where you want to practice. Minnesota is a highly ranked school, but it's also very expensive and it's tough to come back down here to Texas with a Minnesota JD.

For me, in Texas, it's UT > UH > SMU > Oklahoma > Baylor > Texas Tech > TTT's.

The cost and the cool things they're doing (like with the new suite) make Houston really a good choice for in-staters.

rubies

Postby rubies » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:56 am

Archon D: terrorface wrote:I think Houston is a tough school to pass up for in state students who intend on practicing in the region - especially if they plan on practicing in Houston.

Although the allure of the Big Ten was something that had me going for a while, you really need to think about what market your school is if it is indeed outside of the very top echelon of schools. Someone mentioned they're thinking about Minnesota - think of it this way: consider cost and where you want to practice. Minnesota is a highly ranked school, but it's also very expensive and it's tough to come back down here to Texas with a Minnesota JD.

The cost and the cool things they're doing (like with the new suite) make Houston really a good choice for in-staters.

Where would South Texas fit (for in-cityers)? Yes, its a made-up word.

joonix

Postby joonix » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:43 pm

rubies wrote:
Archon D: terrorface wrote:I think Houston is a tough school to pass up for in state students who intend on practicing in the region - especially if they plan on practicing in Houston.

i'd put it above Texas Tech, and I wouldn't have Oklahoma in there. haven't seen any OU lawyers in Houston.

G_Girl4098

Postby G_Girl4098 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:57 pm

joonix wrote:
rubies wrote:

i'd put it above Texas Tech, and I wouldn't have Oklahoma in there. haven't seen any OU lawyers in Houston.

I might even put South Texas higher than that, at least in Houston. Although some may see it as a second rate school they are known, again at least in the Houston area, for producing some very good lawyers, especially trail lawyers. I know some South Texas alumni who work in some of the largest firms in Houston. Don't think I know of any SMU people.

overprivileged

Postby overprivileged » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:52 pm

What would your list of preference be if you'd like to try to transfer to UT after your first year?

meathead

Postby meathead » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:00 pm

Officially waitlisted, looks like I will be retaking the LSAT and trying again next year.

perin

Postby perin » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:10 pm

meathead wrote:Officially waitlisted, looks like I will be retaking the LSAT and trying again next year.

Sorry about that, good luck on your LSAT.

On another note, when exactly does U of H give out scholarship and financial aid money? They could make my decision so easy.

Archon D: terrorface

Postby Archon D: terrorface » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:15 pm

joonix wrote:
rubies wrote:

For Houston, South Texas > Texas Tech. State wide, however, I think Tech would tend to offer better employment opportunities. Although I'm not sure a South Texas JD would significantly outperform an OU JD in the Houston legal market. My guess is they would at least be comparable.

kellbell

Postby kellbell » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:18 pm

meathead wrote:Officially waitlisted, looks like I will be retaking the LSAT and trying again next year.

I'm sorry Meaty!!!

Thanks for letting us know - I now know to expect a waitlist too (or worse), although I'm not retaking. I just won't be moving to Houston. Would've been nice knowing you guys... :cry:

G_Girl4098

Postby G_Girl4098 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:07 pm

According to LSN, U of H has rejected their first person.
:(

kellbell

Postby kellbell » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:00 pm

G_Girl4098 wrote:According to LSN, U of H has rejected their first person.
:(

Yep, and his/her numbers are the same as mine, but he/she is a TX resident.

That means I'm officially dunzo, not that I had really hoped anyway. At least you got a WL, Meaty!! You still have hope!

texas08

Postby texas08 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:21 am

*I hope this doesn't come off as completely insensitive, given the most recent posts about rejections, BUT....

Does anyone know what the deal on scholarships is? My GPA is really low, but my LSAT is way above average for UofH (171, 3.0)... I've looked on LSN for last year and I'm hoping for a significant chunk of change to keep me away from UT (if I get in) or out of state, where I have scholarships to higher ranked schools than UofH. Bad news is, there really weren't many people with similar enough numbers to mine to guess what I might be able to expect, added to the fact that it wasn't clear if people were posting per yr or their total package. I've checked out the UofH scholarship page but can't find any indication of when they send out awards. Anyone know?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”