In at University of Houston

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
merc280

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby merc280 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:03 am

Josh the Goat wrote:UH has a bar on campus next to the gym. About a 5 minute walk from the law school, or you could drive there. As for bars off campus, you'd probably have to go to Montrose/Midtown/Rice Village. They're all about 10 minutes away, and most people live in that area anyways, so they tend to be the most common locations.

yeah ive seen that pub every day I go there. Graduating Undergrad in a few weeks. It opened up recently, something like last semester and its been pretty popular and in the same center as a pizza hut.

Texasboundanddown

Postby Texasboundanddown » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:42 pm

No movement huh?

Wish we could call and just ask.

BleedBlue83

Postby BleedBlue83 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:53 pm

Ridiculous. Still no snail mail and I live in Houston.

Now I'm just annoyed.

lmarie81

Postby lmarie81 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:49 pm

Does anyone notice how the date changes for the "File in Review" status? My status is in review but the date has changed a few times which makes me wonder if that means they really just started reviewing or if it is going through another round of reviews? I am clearly stressing the minor details but any information seems to be exciting lately.

CarthagoDelendaEst

Postby CarthagoDelendaEst » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:07 am

I emailed the admissions office and was told that the the change of "In Review" dates means that we have moved onto "another phase" in their "multi-step admissions process." I don't know what that really corresponds to. I hope they get back with us soon because I am tired of waiting!

BleedBlue83

Postby BleedBlue83 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:21 am

I've been waitlisted.

Anyone know what the next step, other than a LOCI, is for WL candidates? Would a personal stop by the admissions office do more harm than good?

Would we all be best off giving our LOCI's and then just twiddling our thumbs waiting for what basically is a sugar coated rejection letter for the vast majority of us (< 30% get off the WL) ?

raperez129

Postby raperez129 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:37 am

BleedBlue83 wrote:I've been waitlisted.

Anyone know what the next step, other than an LOCI, is for WL candidates? Would a personal stop by the admissions office do more harm than good?

Would we all be best off giving our LOCI's and then just twiddling our thumbs waiting for what basically is a sugar coated rejection letter for the vast majority of us (< 30% get off the WL) ?

When did you get your letter? Was it today?
Last edited by raperez129 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:39 am

Finally got the official rejection letter in the mail.

It wasn't even sugar-coated. It said they were sure this news would be disappointing to me, but they were proud of their selectivity. The nerve!

Just kidding I'm over it. Being a foolish optimist I somehow considered the possibility the "denied" status was a mistake and that my letter would inidcate otherwise, but now I have what some call "closure".

I guess I'll quit posting on this thread now that I officially don't belong. Good luck to everyone!

If you don't get in come join some of us at STCL, it's really not the worst thing in the world!

raperez129

Postby raperez129 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:45 am

rdcws000 wrote:............ said they were sure this news would be disappointing to me, but they were proud of their selectivity.

You have got to be kidding!!!! :shock:

BleedBlue83

Postby BleedBlue83 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:56 am

I got my letter in the mail on Saturday, after my status checker reported it being mailed on Tuesday. During the wait for my letter my online status checker maintained the "File in Review" status. Now that I've received the letter, it still shows my file as "in Review".

When I called last week, the office stated that they do not give out information regarding your decision over the phone. You have to wait for the letter. They also gave no explanation as to why my file persists as "in Review".

I know it would be a different story had I been accepted, but my individual experience is starting to sour a bit.

The waitlist letter gives no indication as to when they may give you further notification, how they will do so, or if there is any action you need to take. They state that they understand and realize you may need to make "other educational plans" in the meantime. It feels like a, "Thanks, but not really... see you around, pal."

In addition to the questions in my previous post, does anyone know if UHLC ranks their waitlist? If they do, I believe you can request to know your rank...

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:25 am

BleedBlue83 wrote:I got my letter in the mail on Saturday, after my status checker reported it being mailed on Tuesday. During the wait for my letter my online status checker maintained the "File in Review" status. Now that I've received the letter, it still shows my file as "in Review".

When I called last week, the office stated that they do not give out information regarding your decision over the phone. You have to wait for the letter. They also gave no explanation as to why my file persists as "in Review".

I know it would be a different story had I been accepted, but my individual experience is starting to sour a bit.

The waitlist letter gives no indication as to when they may give you further notification, how they will do so, or if there is any action you need to take. They state that they understand and realize you may need to make "other educational plans" in the meantime. It feels like a, "Thanks, but not really... see you around, pal."

In addition to the questions in my previous post, does anyone know if UHLC ranks their waitlist? If they do, I believe you can request to know your rank...

When Seton Hall finally received my PT application, they sent me an e-mail, the gist of which was "We have no status checker, don't really do anything else online, and don't intend to send e-mails for every little detail. We will take our sweet ass time if we so wish and will let you know whenever we get around to deciding, which could be a lot longer than you expect. So, um, thanks for the application fee, and now leave us alone unless we contact you with good news."

Texasboundanddown

Postby Texasboundanddown » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:53 pm

BleedBlue83 wrote:I got my letter in the mail on Saturday, after my status checker reported it being mailed on Tuesday. During the wait for my letter my online status checker maintained the "File in Review" status. Now that I've received the letter, it still shows my file as "in Review".

They don't rank but they do go by the order that you were WL'ed in. So I don't think that is quite like ranking, but it does give you an idea on when you will get off. I am also miffed that they didn't send you an email or anything. I thought emails were almost required since it reallly lets you know about your possibilities (pt, when to send LocI, and who to send it to).

The only thing last year that I regret not doing is: sending a good LOCI quickly and continuing communications with them. Really letting them know you want to attend. Its like getting a job; if they aren't constantly thinking about you then your chance of getting off the WL during summer really dwindles. Good luck man and I am sorry.

BleedBlue83

Postby BleedBlue83 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:46 pm

Did you receive an e-mail as well as a letter last year?

Texasboundanddown

Postby Texasboundanddown » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:28 am

BleedBlue83 wrote:Did you receive an e-mail as well as a letter last year?

Yea, received the email before the letter. From the fact that you are still "in review" the email may be lagging. Really feel bad for you man, but if you still want UH then send them that LOCI and maybe email them about part time if possible. Has their email contacts with you been friendly and responsive? If so, shooting them an email about part time and waitlist position couldn't hurt. Think about it.

BleedBlue83

Postby BleedBlue83 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:53 am

Texasboundanddown wrote:

Yea, received the email before the letter. From the fact that you are still "in review" the email may be lagging. Really feel bad for you man, but if you still want UH then send them that LOCI and maybe email them about part time if possible. Has their email contacts with you been friendly and responsive? If so, shooting them an email about part time and waitlist position couldn't hurt. Think about it.

I'm definitely drafting a LOCI and sending it out before the end of this week. I'm just trying to game plan the best way to do this.... send a formal LOCI via snail mail and then an e-mail requesting possible PT consideration, or including a request to be considered for PT in my LOCI and doing it all in one fell swoop.

What does everyone recommend? LOCI by snail mail or e-mail? Send it to J West?

They will add formally addressed e-mails to your file, but I wonder if sending a physical letter in would have more gravitas.

EDIT: In response to your question, yes they've always been very helpful, responsive, and courteous over e-mail.

2nd EDIT: It's easy to over think this stuff...

JDin2013

Postby JDin2013 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:53 am

BleedBlue83 wrote:
Texasboundanddown wrote:

I'm definitely drafting a LOCI and sending it out before the end of this week. I'm just trying to game plan the best way to do this.... send a formal LOCI via snail mail and then an e-mail requesting possible PT consideration, or including a request to be considered for PT in my LOCI and doing it all in one fell swoop.

They will add formally addressed e-mails to your file, but I wonder if sending a physical letter in would have more gravitas.

EDIT: In response to your question, yes they've always been very helpful, responsive, and courteous over e-mail.

First post here, been lurking for a while. I'm still trying to get over my denial at SMU for FT/PT yesterday and am trying to look at the bright side that I have been WL'ed at UH for PT and there's still a small glimmer of hope...

Anyway, useful info when I called UH admissions today:

1. Confirmed that they do not rank WL, but still possible that they go by the order of WL (not sure).
2. They also refused to tell me how many have been WL'ed.
3. They will not re-review WL files until June, so you have until then to send any updates...LOCI deadline flag here.
4. They will tell you the final decision anytime between June and 1st day of school (Aug 23)...at best you're looking at a decision by July.
5. You may submit updates via email if you wish (call and ask for the email address of an admissions officer).

Hope this helps.

BleedBlue83

Postby BleedBlue83 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:26 pm

JDin2013 wrote:
BleedBlue83 wrote:
Texasboundanddown wrote:

First post here, been lurking for a while. I'm still trying to get over my denial at SMU for FT/PT yesterday and am trying to look at the bright side that I have been WL'ed at UH for PT and there's still a small glimmer of hope...

1. Confirmed that they do not rank WL, but still possible that they go by the order of WL (not sure).
3. They will not re-review WL files until June, so you have until then to send any updates...LOCI deadline flag here.
4. They will tell you the final decision anytime between June and 1st day of school (Aug 23)...at best you're looking at a decision by July.
5. You may submit updates via email if you wish (call and ask for the email address of an admissions officer).

Hope this helps.

JD, good to see you jump on the boards. The information you shared above is definitely helpful and very much appreciated.

Sorry to hear about SMU - but you're right in that it's best to focus on battling the WL to whatever end is in store. Unfortunately, all we can do is send in a good LOCI. Too much correspondence beyond that runs the risk of being an annoyance to whomever has to read/address it.

I sent an e-mail to the admissions office this morning with a list of similar questions. I'll post answers here for cross-reference and the sake of comparing continuity.

The activity on these boards has died down quite a bit as most applicants have been accepted, denied, or WL and as such we're mostly seeing WL candidates posting at this time.

Stay optimistic!

raperez129

Postby raperez129 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:47 pm

JDin2013 wrote:
BleedBlue83 wrote:
Texasboundanddown wrote:

Hope this helps.

Thanks. That is super helpful.
My PT is still "In Review"
I wonder since they claim to begin to re-review WL in June, if I should hear something by the end of May. I sure hope so.... :|

JDin2013

Postby JDin2013 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:54 pm

raperez129 wrote:Thanks. That is super helpful.
I wonder since they claim to begin to re-review WL in June, if I should hear something by the end of May. I sure hope so.... :|

Sending good luck vibes your way. I hope you hear something positive by then! :)

luckycurl84

Postby luckycurl84 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:21 pm

raperez129 wrote:
Thanks. That is super helpful.

Me too. I've been "In Review" since 3/2 (No status changes either). :|

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:14 pm

Got waitlisted at SMU today so that confirms my seat at U of H. Go Cougars?

bigred77

Postby bigred77 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:08 am

JDin2013,

If you don't mind me being nosey could you post your stats? I havn't seen alot of PT WL.

BTW I am still in review, submitted a SUPER late app that went complete on 4/16 and have been in review since 4/20. I've been trying to prepare myself for a long wait but can't help but hope they respond before the end of May.

Also, I read on the admissions blog about how that had quite a jump in apps and are also planning on lowering their admitted #'s for both FT and PT. I can't help but wonder how many spots are realistially still available at this point.

UH is the only school I applied to since I have to stay in the area for work and I wanted to do the joint JD/MBA part time. If I dont get in this cycle I will have def learned my lesson about applying late. I'll have to retake the LSAT in Oct and re-apply EARLY in next years cycle.

BleedBlue83

Postby BleedBlue83 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:20 am

bigred77 wrote:JDin2013,

If you don't mind me being nosey could you post your stats? I havn't seen alot of PT WL.

BTW I am still in review, submitted a SUPER late app that went complete on 4/16 and have been in review since 4/20. I've been trying to prepare myself for a long wait but can't help but hope they respond before the end of May.

Also, I read on the admissions blog about how that had quite a jump in apps and are also planning on lowering their admitted #'s for both FT and PT. I can't help but wonder how many spots are realistially still available at this point.

UH is the only school I applied to since I have to stay in the area for work and I wanted to do the joint JD/MBA part time. If I dont get in this cycle I will have def learned my lesson about applying late. I'll have to retake the LSAT in Oct and re-apply EARLY in next years cycle.

Same boat, only app'd to UH, but FT.

I noticed the admissions blog comments as well, and can't help but think the same - that there aren't very many seats left in such a highly competitive year.

FWIW - You should read back through this thread regarding early vs regular application. Not everyone is so sure that applying for early admissions is the way to go if you're numbers aren't a home run. I'm convinced had I applied early I'd have been rejected outright.

Best of luck to you!

JDin2013

Postby JDin2013 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:27 am

bigred77 wrote:JDin2013,

Yep, I was just thinking that there are probably not many PT spots open anymore. Since most people who apply to PT probably already have jobs here, they are most likely to accept. Could you post a link to the blog?

Stats: 158/3.3
Low(er) GPA because I did engineering at a top 10 public univ. I guess I don't really have a good excuse for the LSAT score, heh. Been out of school and working for 5 years now; not necessarily an URM but definitely an M, lol. What's yours, BigRed?

Speaking of my stats, I've been thinking long and hard about retaking the LSAT for the Sept/Oct this year & reapply for 2011 if I don't get in UH. Oh and btw, I am in at STCL. Uncertain about retaking the LSAT because I'm not sure if an increase by a couple of points (being realistic here) is worth the pain. There's also the risk of lowering my score :shock: because I certainly don't have as much time to study now, but if I start now....... *sigh*

Or: there is definitely the option of going to STCL. Not as highly ranked, but definitely well-known & well-connected in TX, which is where I want to stay and practice. At the very least I could transfer after 1L...........right?

What to do??? (That's an open question for all who cares...and sorry for the long whine...bet you didn't expect this to come with being nosy, BigRed ;))

raperez129

Postby raperez129 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:46 am

JDin2013,
I'm in a similar situation, in that I'm in at STCL. I can't take the pain of the LSAT again either. I'm just going to take STCL if I don't get into UH. I plan to live and practice in Houston, and I'm not set on big law, so I think it could still work out well for me. STCL has great local connections.

I'm not sure that I agree that UH PT has been filled. From prior cycles, it seems they don't start reviewing most of the PT apps until after they wrapped up the FT apps. I think the PT decision that came out last week were the first really serious review (aside from those that they may have outright rejeced very early). PT decisions will most likely continue thru early June. Anyone want to hope with me for another round of Thus/Fri decisions beginning tomorrow?? :|

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”