In at University of Houston

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Bustang
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby Bustang » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:52 pm

Denied merit based funds :(

User avatar
rdcws000
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby rdcws000 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:38 pm

BleedBlue83 wrote:First, thanks for the supportive insight above!!!

I was not aware that they only had a status for denials. I was assuming that they sent letters out in the AM and maybe had an administrative employee update a database that fed into the online status checker by COB.

To clarify, there is only an online status update for denials? When does the online status update (if ever) if it's an acceptance or WL, and what are the respective status messages for those conditions?

Do I need to stop refreshing my status checker like a madman and begin staking out the mailman?

raperez129 wrote:
BleedBlue83 wrote:My file just reported "Decision Letter Mailed" this morning, but status still shows "File in Review".

My fate has also now been decided. I'll post the outcome as soon as the status has been updated. :?


Decision Letter Mailed; is that under your mailings section??

Mine still has nothing new under mailings, and no change to file date, since it went in review for the first time on 3/29/10. Maybe my file is lost somewhere, or in the trash.

With the recent flurry of non-positive activity, I am officially now terrified.... :oops:


I sympathize, my stomach has been turning all morning and I am fully unglued.

It's of note that I was applying FT, and if I recall you were applying PT. Most of the decisions yesterday and today have been on FT applications if I'm not mistaken. Keep the faith, and remember that you shouldn't pour that stiff drink until noon at the earliest.

EDIT: Yes, "Decision Letter Mailed" appears under Mailings / "File In Review" = Current Status.


A couple points, I actually think several of the rejections yesterday were PT apps, at least mine and I believe jgrin's.

Since my status clearly says "Decision Rendered - Denied" and my mailings says "decision letter sent" I think it is safe to assume you have not been rejected.

It sounds like there is no status change for acceptance or waitlist, they just keep your status "file in review" and say "decision letter sent" in your mailings. There is still the possibility of waitlist, but I think you have every reason to be optimistic.

j32f
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby j32f » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:57 pm

For accepted, the status changes to decision rendered: accepted.

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby jgrin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:26 pm

I sure am upset I did not at least get waitlisted. I feel there are some with worse numbers that were at least granted a WL. I wonder what they have that I don't...

j32f
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby j32f » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:38 pm

Jgrin, as best I can tell, there hasn't been any rhyme or reason to Houston's admissions process. They've pissed a lot of people off this cycle.

User avatar
Texasboundanddown
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby Texasboundanddown » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:42 pm

j32f wrote:Jgrin, as best I can tell, there hasn't been any rhyme or reason to Houston's admissions process. They've pissed a lot of people off this cycle.


To be fair, so have alot of other schools. More than anything, this cycle seems to be about improving median numbers and then its about admitting students.

Sorry to all those that just got screwed. Wish you guys had at least been waitlisted, if not admitted, since most of you seemed to dedicated. Now I just have to hope for an acceptance since I don't think I can do another waitlist.

bauer12
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby bauer12 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:20 pm

I can say that I'm a little perturbed about how this whole process went. I know that UH is where I want to end up... I guess this is just additional motivation to kick ass next year at stcl and try and transfer. In my opinion, if I can't do well enough to make this a possibility then I probably didn't deserve to be at UH in the first place.

If I could give any advice to UH law I would tell them to hire a better person to work the phones and maybe a friendlier person to handle email correspondence. Its one thing if the wait times are a little exaggerated... its another thing that you have to talk to a rude imbecile every time you call to check up on things.

User avatar
RyShermanJ
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby RyShermanJ » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:35 pm

I am sorry to hear about all of y’all who just got denied. I have a friend who got denied last night with a 162 and 3.5. I was waitlisted about a month ago with a 162 and 2.6. Tell me the logic behind that? I am older and an Engineer in the Peace Corps but I would find that difficult to imagine that softs would make the difference of almost a full point in GPA. I wonder if they only waitlist so many students is the only logical thing I can figure.

And BleedBlue you may want to contact them to get your results. I have read every post on this thread to get as much insight as possible and you are the only person this cycle who has posted to have a letter sent before your status checker is updated. Mine changed to decision rendered – waitlisted. It took over a week before the letter showed up. I am sure someone made a mistake and it seems like it would be cruel to make one person wait an extra week. The only other thing I could imagine is last year they offered some FT applicants PT admission. Maybe you are the first of those and they don’t have an option for that in their system? Best of luck.

lewis louis
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:08 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby lewis louis » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:41 pm

Don't worry. It's only Houston.

Texan09
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:06 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby Texan09 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:59 pm

.
Last edited by Texan09 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
raperez129
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:23 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby raperez129 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:08 pm

Do I need to obsses and refresh my status checker through the day, or is their system updated once nightly?

User avatar
RyShermanJ
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby RyShermanJ » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:09 pm

Texan09 wrote:BleedBlue: I am also Decision Rendered - Waitlisted, so I hope this bodes well for you.

I am 158/3.32 (non-URM). For those who got dinged with better numbers: I believe I made it to the waitlist because I have what I consider pretty good softs.

I.e. Military- I was deployed as a infantryman to Afghanistan (my PS was over an experience from over there). President of my fraternity. 2 honors societies (my professional GPAs were both 3.6+). I double majored in 3.5 years. I had LOR from one of my professors who used to be a professor at UH law. etc I'll stop their because I basically just ousted myself to any adcoms on here. But since my cycle is over, other than waitlists at UH an American, I guess I'm not too concerned. I did go DR at SMU for FT/PT today, so wish me luck there.

Best of luck to all of you still waiting to hear from UH. Especially you Bleedblue. The boys are my team as well.


You think adcoms really check this stuff?

Texan09
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:06 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby Texan09 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:20 pm

RyShermanJ wrote:
Texan09 wrote:BleedBlue: I am also Decision Rendered - Waitlisted, so I hope this bodes well for you.

I am 158/3.32 (non-URM). For those who got dinged with better numbers: I believe I made it to the waitlist because I have what I consider pretty good softs.

I.e. Military- I was deployed as a infantryman to Afghanistan (my PS was over an experience from over there). President of my fraternity. 2 honors societies (my professional GPAs were both 3.6+). I double majored in 3.5 years. I had LOR from one of my professors who used to be a professor at UH law. etc I'll stop their because I basically just ousted myself to any adcoms on here. But since my cycle is over, other than waitlists at UH an American, I guess I'm not too concerned. I did go DR at SMU for FT/PT today, so wish me luck there.

Best of luck to all of you still waiting to hear from UH. Especially you Bleedblue. The boys are my team as well.


You think adcoms really check this stuff?


I honestly have no idea, but plenty of TLSs talk about adcoms looking through these boards... I frequently question the wisdom of TLSs, so take for what its worth(possibly nothing).

User avatar
RyShermanJ
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby RyShermanJ » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:57 pm

Texan09 wrote:I honestly have no idea, but plenty of TLSs talk about adcoms looking through these boards... I frequently question the wisdom of TLSs, so take for what its worth(possibly nothing).


It seems like an interesting theory but I have my doubts. I have seen people accuse others of being Adcoms when someone speaks highly of a school. The only information I would guess that the schools could gather on here that would be beneficial here is the order a specific student ranks schools. And I would figure this information would only be valuable with the schools that are looking for YP candidates. To me that seems like a far reach though since I would figure it would be difficult with the thousands of applicants to track down a specific one and monitor his/her posts. If there were Adcoms on here I would figure their time would be better served recruiting prospective students pretending to be current students or other prospective students. But I would also imagine that would be unlikely, since I would figure it would be rather embarrassing for the school if it was discovered that is what they are doing.

I know potential employers that search for facebook accounts and other information online. But to me that seems different. I would think that LSAT, GPA, personal statement, criminal record and resume paint a pretty good picture of who we are. It may be difficult to completely evaluate an applicant’s intelligence but I am sure they have some idea of the work we are capable of. But, with an employee you need to be worried about getting along with other employees and maturity. I would really doubt there is any truth behind these theories but what do I know. If any adcom would like to PM me to prove me wrong, I would welcome it. I promise your secret will be safe with me.

User avatar
Josh the Goat
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:17 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby Josh the Goat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:08 pm

I doubt any staff from UH read these forums. If they did, they probably would have pulled me into the Deans office or something and told me not to say anything bad about the school. But I've said plenty of critical things without any response from UH. If I'm the only current student that reads this, I doubt adcoms read it.

User avatar
madmartigan
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:55 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby madmartigan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:07 am

Texasboundanddown wrote:
j32f wrote:Jgrin, as best I can tell, there hasn't been any rhyme or reason to Houston's admissions process. They've pissed a lot of people off this cycle.


To be fair, so have alot of other schools. More than anything, this cycle seems to be about improving median numbers and then its about admitting students.

Sorry to all those that just got screwed. Wish you guys had at least been waitlisted, if not admitted, since most of you seemed to dedicated. Now I just have to hope for an acceptance since I don't think I can do another waitlist.


Every law school admits primarily based on numbers. And they are always trying to improve their numbers. Nothing new here.

Better numbers = better ranking = more money, better profs, etc.

User avatar
madmartigan
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:55 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby madmartigan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:10 am

Josh the Goat wrote:I doubt any staff from UH read these forums. If they did, they probably would have pulled me into the Deans office or something and told me not to say anything bad about the school. But I've said plenty of critical things without any response from UH. If I'm the only current student that reads this, I doubt adcoms read it.


I'll agree with Josh here. I would imagine admissions offices would think to check the most popular LS forum on the internet. But we've seen how UH doesn't exactly have their shit together. And if only 1 UH student is on this site, I doubt the profs/admissions officers are lurking.

But I bet a lot of other schools have admissions officers lurking.

Bado
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:43 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby Bado » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:09 am

I've got a quick question. I got accepted to Thrugood Marshall (TSU) and South Texas College of law. I know South Texas is a much better school, but there are a few reasons I'm still considering Thurgood Marshall, if figured I'd throw it all up here and see what kind of advise comes my way. First off, I'm a Texas veteran and if I go to Thrugood Marshall I can pretty much go for free. If I go for free I can take the money I've been saving for school and pay off my house which will lead me to have absolutely no debt coming out of college. The downside is that the chances of landing a legal job out of this school are slim. But I do have a backup; if I can't find a legal job I'm only 3 classes and an internship away from a Texas public school principal certification. I'm sure the legal degree from anywhere will help me landing a principal job.
If I go to South Texas College of Law I will have to spend a large portion of the money I've been saving and will not be able to pay off my house which will lead me to continue paying the $800.00 or so in principle and interest per month. Eventually I will sustain some fraction of debt throughout this experience, but the prospects of landing a legal job and gaining the career I seek are much higher.
I'm kind of split here; I know the goal of any schooling is to build economic wealth. I'm just not sure the benefits of South Texas are worth giving up my economic stability. What do you think?

User avatar
EBGB
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:57 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby EBGB » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:19 am

Bado wrote:I've got a quick question. I got accepted to Thrugood Marshall (TSU) and South Texas College of law. I know South Texas is a much better school, but there are a few reasons I'm still considering Thurgood Marshall, if figured I'd throw it all up here and see what kind of advise comes my way. First off, I'm a Texas veteran and if I go to Thrugood Marshall I can pretty much go for free. If I go for free I can take the money I've been saving for school and pay off my house which will lead me to have absolutely no debt coming out of college. The downside is that the chances of landing a legal job out of this school are slim. But I do have a backup; if I can't find a legal job I'm only 3 classes and an internship away from a Texas public school principal certification. I'm sure the legal degree from anywhere will help me landing a principal job.
If I go to South Texas College of Law I will have to spend a large portion of the money I've been saving and will not be able to pay off my house which will lead me to continue paying the $800.00 or so in principle and interest per month. Eventually I will sustain some fraction of debt throughout this experience, but the prospects of landing a legal job and gaining the career I seek are much higher.
I'm kind of split here; I know the goal of any schooling is to build economic wealth. I'm just not sure the benefits of South Texas are worth giving up my economic stability. What do you think?


I had a good friend who graduated last May from TSU, and she was there for free. That was the only reason she went there. She hated every single minute of it, and not because of the stresses of studying and grades. She did have a few good professors, but for the most part, she hated everything about the school itself. However, she graduated in the top 5-10% of her class and passed the bar in July. She didn't start job searching until November because she had a baby in the fall, but she found a job quickly. It isn't a great job, though, and now she's decided to open an independent practice with a UT law grad in another city. Obviously, everyone's experience is different, but her experience is the reason I didn't even apply there. Visit the schools and meet the faculty and some students. That's what's going to help you decide more than anything.

User avatar
BleedBlue83
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby BleedBlue83 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:29 am

RyShermanJ wrote:I am sorry to hear about all of y’all who just got denied. I have a friend who got denied last night with a 162 and 3.5. I was waitlisted about a month ago with a 162 and 2.6. Tell me the logic behind that? I am older and an Engineer in the Peace Corps but I would find that difficult to imagine that softs would make the difference of almost a full point in GPA. I wonder if they only waitlist so many students is the only logical thing I can figure.

And BleedBlue you may want to contact them to get your results. I have read every post on this thread to get as much insight as possible and you are the only person this cycle who has posted to have a letter sent before your status checker is updated. Mine changed to decision rendered – waitlisted. It took over a week before the letter showed up. I am sure someone made a mistake and it seems like it would be cruel to make one person wait an extra week. The only other thing I could imagine is last year they offered some FT applicants PT admission. Maybe you are the first of those and they don’t have an option for that in their system? Best of luck.


Interestingly enough, my status still has not changed. I am in still in "file in review" limbo, sans letter. I did consider calling them today, but my optimism has now turned to angst and fear of the worst given that there is a "Decision Rendered: Admitted" status. I'll take solace in the possible scenario you raised above.

Texan09 wrote:BleedBlue: I am also Decision Rendered - Waitlisted, so I hope this bodes well for you.

I am 158/3.32 (non-URM). For those who got dinged with better numbers: I believe I made it to the waitlist because I have what I consider pretty good softs.

I.e. Military- I was deployed as a infantryman to Afghanistan (my PS was over an experience from over there). President of my fraternity. 2 honors societies (my professional GPAs were both 3.6+). I double majored in 3.5 years. I had LOR from one of my professors who used to be a professor at UH law. etc I'll stop their because I basically just ousted myself to any adcoms on here. But since my cycle is over, other than waitlists at UH an American, I guess I'm not too concerned. I did go DR at SMU for FT/PT today, so wish me luck there.

Best of luck to all of you still waiting to hear from UH. Especially you Bleedblue. The boys are my team as well.


I would prefer to be WL for the FT program than only offered admission to the PT program, but I'll take my licks however I can get them at this point (2nd time applying in 3 years).

FWIW my numbers are quite similar to yours, but your military experience trumps all softs in my opinion. Nobody can replicate that experience, leadership and otherwise.

madmartigan wrote:I'll agree with Josh here. I would imagine admissions offices would think to check the most popular LS forum on the internet. But we've seen how UH doesn't exactly have their shit together. And if only 1 UH student is on this site, I doubt the profs/admissions officers are lurking.

But I bet a lot of other schools have admissions officers lurking.


I second that sentiment. Perhaps top 20 schools are lurking LS forums, but I think it would be too time consuming to A) harvest any useful information other than judge of character/maturity, and B) match said information to a specific applicant. As RySherman said, money/resources better spent elsewhere.

Thanks again for the mutual support from everyone. If I make it in, hell even if I don't, the entering 2010 class should rally some Texans & Cowboys fans together for a tailgate and tickets to the week 3 intrastate rivalry game!

User avatar
BleedBlue83
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby BleedBlue83 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:43 pm

UHLC cannot provide information of the status of an applicant over the phone.

rs8796
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:22 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby rs8796 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:28 pm

Hey guys this might be a pretty stupid question, but I feel like each school has a different method of doing things so I figured I'd ask any way. My status went from "File in Review 4/13" to "File in Review 4/22" without any changes under mailings. Do you guys know if Houston sends it from one committee to another or what? I'm just confused as to why it would update to "File in Review" with just a change of date. I haven't seen that one before. If anyone could give me any insight I'd greatly appreciate it.

User avatar
rdcws000
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby rdcws000 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:46 pm

rs8796 wrote:Hey guys this might be a pretty stupid question, but I feel like each school has a different method of doing things so I figured I'd ask any way. My status went from "File in Review 4/13" to "File in Review 4/22" without any changes under mailings. Do you guys know if Houston sends it from one committee to another or what? I'm just confused as to why it would update to "File in Review" with just a change of date. I haven't seen that one before. If anyone could give me any insight I'd greatly appreciate it.


Noone has exactly cracked the code of what they are doing when they change review dates, but lately it seems to be more of a negative indicator than a positive one. This is not intended to get you down, it means nothing except that it's a trend.

One possible explanation: Your numbers are on the fence. One reviewer looked at your file and his/her socks were not knocked off. They pass it on to another reviewer to take a second look. When the date changes, we have seen both rejections and acceptances as a result.

User avatar
madmartigan
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:55 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby madmartigan » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:30 am

Josh or Donny, this may be for yous guys, but anyone with insight please chime in.

Are there any bars right around UH that make for easy post-class substance abuse? It's nice to hit up a close bar for some beverages with fellow classmates, and I hope to Zeus UH has some SAFE bars near by... or do I need to ready my flask?

User avatar
Josh the Goat
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:17 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby Josh the Goat » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:56 am

UH has a bar on campus next to the gym. About a 5 minute walk from the law school, or you could drive there. As for bars off campus, you'd probably have to go to Montrose/Midtown/Rice Village. They're all about 10 minutes away, and most people live in that area anyways, so they tend to be the most common locations.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], hellohalo, Houzy, malysh, spursforever, zeglo and 17 guests