In at University of Houston

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
BleedBlue83
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby BleedBlue83 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Texasboundanddown wrote:
rdcws000 wrote:
Texasboundanddown wrote:So have people come to a conclusion on whether being reviewed twice is a good or bad thing? I'm only "in review" once and that was at the end of March. Think we will hear anything anytime soon?


Are you a FT or PT app?

I am staying optimistic even though I am one whose review date recently changed.

I am of the opinion though, that since some applications are accepted with only one level of review, the date change could indicate a lack of confidence in the applicant, or at least a lack of willingness to commit to a decision to accept.

On the other hand, I have seen some whose decision date changed eventually receive an acceptance.

Bottom line, all we can do is guess, and look at last year's history.


FT. I applied later remember? Like February late. Hahah. After looking at some of the last years cycle (like you) I kind of came to the conclusion you did. I had multiple changes last year and I ended up WL'ed late (may 8th actually). By multiple I mean three, haha. They offered me PT cosideration, and I said yes, but never sent a letter confirming cause I kinda still wanted FT. Ended up retaking, did muuuch better, and then reapplied. You told me to stay the course haha and I agreed.

I think if your date changes three times then they like you, but the numbers aren't enough. Twice or once I think means good things and you can kinda either count on a WL or acceptance, so good luck!

I also disagree that we are the on the fence candidates since, tbh, for the people that sent their stuff in late jan-feb there haven't been all that many acceptances (unless you count the obvious 169+, 3.35+ people). We're just the middle of the pack people that they need to take time to review.


Good point.

I hope you're right. I applied early February and it's certainly not unreasonable that they didn't have time to carefully review all apps before the first seat deadline.

A handful of pages back, someone started a discussion on the timing of one's application submission: whether or not it was advantageous to submit closer to the deadline or not. My opinions is that only those with fantastic numbers should submit early.

Procrastinators unite tomorrow.

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby jgrin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:44 pm

BleedBlue83 wrote:
Texasboundanddown wrote:
rdcws000 wrote:
Texasboundanddown wrote:So have people come to a conclusion on whether being reviewed twice is a good or bad thing? I'm only "in review" once and that was at the end of March. Think we will hear anything anytime soon?


Are you a FT or PT app?

I am staying optimistic even though I am one whose review date recently changed.

I am of the opinion though, that since some applications are accepted with only one level of review, the date change could indicate a lack of confidence in the applicant, or at least a lack of willingness to commit to a decision to accept.

On the other hand, I have seen some whose decision date changed eventually receive an acceptance.

Bottom line, all we can do is guess, and look at last year's history.


FT. I applied later remember? Like February late. Hahah. After looking at some of the last years cycle (like you) I kind of came to the conclusion you did. I had multiple changes last year and I ended up WL'ed late (may 8th actually). By multiple I mean three, haha. They offered me PT cosideration, and I said yes, but never sent a letter confirming cause I kinda still wanted FT. Ended up retaking, did muuuch better, and then reapplied. You told me to stay the course haha and I agreed.

I think if your date changes three times then they like you, but the numbers aren't enough. Twice or once I think means good things and you can kinda either count on a WL or acceptance, so good luck!

I also disagree that we are the on the fence candidates since, tbh, for the people that sent their stuff in late jan-feb there haven't been all that many acceptances (unless you count the obvious 169+, 3.35+ people). We're just the middle of the pack people that they need to take time to review.


Good point.

I hope you're right. I applied early February and it's certainly not unreasonable that they didn't have time to carefully review all apps before the first seat deadline.

A handful of pages back, someone started a discussion on the timing of one's application submission: whether or not it was advantageous to submit closer to the deadline or not. My opinions is that only those with fantastic numbers should submit early.

Procrastinators unite tomorrow.


You have reason to believe that something is going to happen tomorrow?

User avatar
catharsis
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:48 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby catharsis » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:50 pm

FB567 wrote:I just got my financial aid package. It is pitiful considering the tuition increase and my next to nothing EFC. Did anyone else get theirs?


it's not you trust me. UH us pitiful with financial aid.. i just recieved mine despite withdrawing already and it's pretty bad.

User avatar
RyShermanJ
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby RyShermanJ » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:17 pm

BleedBlue83 wrote:
RyShermanJ wrote:
BleedBlue83 wrote:Off-topic, but some sports food for thought: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id ... type=story

The Beasts of the East unquestionably maintain "greatest division in football" honors.


Only a Cowboys fan could read the article and take away that they declared NFC East the best division in football. The article says that there was a debate in 2009 on which was a better division NFC East or AFC South (which the Texans are a part of). Nowhere else in the article does it even address the greatest division in football much less “unquestionably” crown a winner. I understand that the rest of Texas somehow became Cowboy territory but please leave Houston out of it.


I wasn't saying that the article declared the NFC East the best division in football. I was making that assertion independently.

Since you're interested in being properly educated on the subject, out of 44 Super Bowls the East has represented the NFC in 19 (43%) of them. Of 23 NFC Super Bowl wins, 11 (48%) belong to teams from the East. That's almost half on both counts.

Houston Texans fans can stay Houston Texans fans. I enjoy listening to them rant and rave about how much the Cowboys suck during preseason and at start of the season, only to cram their feet in their mouths when another pathetic Texans season unfolds. It's like clockwork, and I take great pleasure in listening to a playoff-less fanbase wallow in self-loathing and frustration after talking preseason junk that they can't back up.


You are bringing up irrelevant information to support your argument. The Cowboys, Giants, Eagles, and Redskins records over the past 44 years has little to do with the supporting your argument as unquestionably maintaining "greatest division in football" honors. The article you attached states the contrary it says that the NFC West or the AFC South can be argued are the best divisions in football. I would consider this to mean that the “Beast” can be disputed as the greatest division in football. Have these four teams been great over the past 44 years? Absolutely. But the statistics over the past 44 years cannot be used as justification as maintaining dominance. Especially when considering the other division that was also named in the article contains two expansion teams that have been around for the past 8 years.

Maybe you did not understand what I was saying in my previous post; I was not making the argument that the Texans are a better team than the Cowboys. I was referring to this being a University of Houston thread. The University of Houston is located in the city of Houston which has a professional football team that is not the Dallas Cowboys. I am not sure why you would post something about the Dallas Cowboys on a Houston thread. I am from the Houston area so I root for the Houston Texans like I rooted for the Oilers before them and like I continue to root for the Astros even though they are terrible this year. I am not a fair weather fan and it is pretty weak to root for a team that you have no connection to. I would figure that the majority of people applying to this school are either from the Houston area or planning on living there afterwords. So, I would hope that many of them would feel the same.

skoalkat
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby skoalkat » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:26 pm

RyShermanJ wrote:
BleedBlue83 wrote:
RyShermanJ wrote:
BleedBlue83 wrote:Off-topic, but some sports food for thought: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id ... type=story

The Beasts of the East unquestionably maintain "greatest division in football" honors.


Only a Cowboys fan could read the article and take away that they declared NFC East the best division in football. The article says that there was a debate in 2009 on which was a better division NFC East or AFC South (which the Texans are a part of). Nowhere else in the article does it even address the greatest division in football much less “unquestionably” crown a winner. I understand that the rest of Texas somehow became Cowboy territory but please leave Houston out of it.


I wasn't saying that the article declared the NFC East the best division in football. I was making that assertion independently.

Since you're interested in being properly educated on the subject, out of 44 Super Bowls the East has represented the NFC in 19 (43%) of them. Of 23 NFC Super Bowl wins, 11 (48%) belong to teams from the East. That's almost half on both counts.

Houston Texans fans can stay Houston Texans fans. I enjoy listening to them rant and rave about how much the Cowboys suck during preseason and at start of the season, only to cram their feet in their mouths when another pathetic Texans season unfolds. It's like clockwork, and I take great pleasure in listening to a playoff-less fanbase wallow in self-loathing and frustration after talking preseason junk that they can't back up.


You are bringing up irrelevant information to support your argument. The Cowboys, Giants, Eagles, and Redskins records over the past 44 years has little to do with the supporting your argument as unquestionably maintaining "greatest division in football" honors. The article you attached states the contrary it says that the NFC West or the AFC South can be argued are the best divisions in football. I would consider this to mean that the “Beast” can be disputed as the greatest division in football. Have these four teams been great over the past 44 years? Absolutely. But the statistics over the past 44 years cannot be used as justification as maintaining dominance. Especially when considering the other division that was also named in the article contains two expansion teams that have been around for the past 8 years.

Maybe you did not understand what I was saying in my previous post; I was not making the argument that the Texans are a better team than the Cowboys. I was referring to this being a University of Houston thread. The University of Houston is located in the city of Houston which has a professional football team that is not the Dallas Cowboys. I am not sure why you would post something about the Dallas Cowboys on a Houston thread. I am from the Houston area so I root for the Houston Texans like I rooted for the Oilers before them and like I continue to root for the Astros even though they are terrible this year. I am not a fair weather fan and it is pretty weak to root for a team that you have no connection to. I would figure that the majority of people applying to this school are either from the Houston area or planning on living there afterwords. So, I would hope that many of them would feel the same.



I plan on living near here but not a texan fan...but i love the 'stros.......texans just arent the oilers.......i'm from the valley so i'm kinda split....football cowboys...baseball stros.....basketball mavs

dolce102
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:03 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby dolce102 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:02 pm

Hi!

Is anyone looking to live in the River Oaks/ Upper kirby area? I'm looking for a roommate to preferably share a 2 bed 2 bath in the Gables on West ave.

bauer12
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby bauer12 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:43 pm

Just heard back, "decision rendered - denied", bummer, I guess its stcl w/ $10,000+/yr

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby jgrin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:55 pm

bauer12 wrote:Just heard back, "decision rendered - denied", bummer, I guess its stcl w/ $10,000+/yr


did they just e-mail you? or did you just see it on your status check? if so then when did it change?

PT/FT?

Stats?

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby jgrin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:57 pm

jgrin wrote:
bauer12 wrote:Just heard back, "decision rendered - denied", bummer, I guess its stcl w/ $10,000+/yr


did they just e-mail you? or did you just see it on your status check? if so then when did it change?

PT/FT?

Stats?


Scratch that, me too. o well

User avatar
rdcws000
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby rdcws000 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:59 pm

jgrin wrote:
bauer12 wrote:Just heard back, "decision rendered - denied", bummer, I guess its stcl w/ $10,000+/yr


did they just e-mail you? or did you just see it on your status check? if so then when did it change?

PT/FT?

Stats?


Man, I read your post and went and checked my status. Also denied.

Dang that sucks. Oh well I'm glad its over.

I was 159, 3.5, PT, complete 2/1, in review 3/31, in review again 4/16, denied today, 4/20.

Don't feel bad for those of you still waiting, they might have rejected me because of some criminal blemishes on my juvenile record... Though that was 13 years ago... But ohh well.

Good luck to you all.

Texan09
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:06 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby Texan09 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:00 pm

.
Last edited by Texan09 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matchesmalone
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby matchesmalone » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:00 pm

Denied...oh well.

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby jgrin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:11 pm

I wish i would have known earlier. the fact that they hadn't notified led me to believe that i would at least get waitlisted

bauer12
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby bauer12 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:56 pm

My numbers were 160 - 3.4

I had some good softs including a letter from a close family friend who is a UH law prof. He went to lunch the other day with Dean Alderman and they discussed my ap for a moment. I thought it would be enough to get me over the hump. I guess not... especially considering several people were waitlisted/accepted with less. This admissions game is a mystery to me..

Is it possible to request PT consideration?

As for the rest of you planning on attending stcl... see you in the fall.

windowshopper
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:41 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby windowshopper » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:19 am

.

skoalkat
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby skoalkat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:38 am

DENIED.....saw it comin best of luck to the rest :|

User avatar
EBGB
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:57 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby EBGB » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:08 am

denied

Stryka
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby Stryka » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:13 am

Mine has been in review since 3/29. Looks like a bunch of denied just occurred. Sorry for those denied.

User avatar
BleedBlue83
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby BleedBlue83 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:28 am

Wow, all this bad news at once. They must have been smoking something...

Humor aside, I'm genuinely sorry for all of you receiving news you weren't hoping for. It's given me a pit in my stomach while rushing to check my status this morning - alas still in review 4/16. I imagine there will be waves of decisions reporting in today and tomorrow as well.

There are a lot of kind people on this board, drawn together by a similar goal/dream/aspiration. I wish the best for everyone wherever you end up.

bauer12 wrote:My numbers were 160 - 3.4

I had some good softs including a letter from a close family friend who is a UH law prof. He went to lunch the other day with Dean Alderman and they discussed my ap for a moment. I thought it would be enough to get me over the hump. I guess not... especially considering several people were waitlisted/accepted with less. This admissions game is a mystery to me..

Is it possible to request PT consideration?

As for the rest of you planning on attending stcl... see you in the fall.
.

I can't believe you didn't get in with those numbers and softs. Did you have any extraneous issues with your file?

I think you would stand a good chance to petition for PT consideration. If it's of interest to you, go for it you have nothing to lose. I know I'll do the same if I end up denied.

User avatar
BleedBlue83
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby BleedBlue83 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:40 am

My file just reported "Decision Letter Mailed" this morning, but status still shows "File in Review".

My fate has also now been decided. I'll post the outcome as soon as the status has been updated. :?

User avatar
Bustang
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby Bustang » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:10 pm

BleedBlue83 wrote:My file just reported "Decision Letter Mailed" this morning, but status still shows "File in Review".

My fate has also now been decided. I'll post the outcome as soon as the status has been updated. :?


Good luck fellow cowboys fan!

User avatar
rdcws000
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby rdcws000 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:18 pm

BleedBlue83 wrote:My file just reported "Decision Letter Mailed" this morning, but status still shows "File in Review".

My fate has also now been decided. I'll post the outcome as soon as the status has been updated. :?


I think good news for those of you still waiting is that it seems UH has a status for denied, so you don't have to wait for a letter.

This means, if you're sent a letter, but your status is in file review, it is not a rejection. At worst it's a wait list. I do not believe they did that last year. Last year I think they just said decision rendered, and people had to wait a week or more for the letter of rejection.

So you should be in good shape! Good luck.

User avatar
raperez129
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:23 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby raperez129 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:26 pm

BleedBlue83 wrote:My file just reported "Decision Letter Mailed" this morning, but status still shows "File in Review".

My fate has also now been decided. I'll post the outcome as soon as the status has been updated. :?


Decision Letter Mailed; is that under your mailings section??

Mine still has nothing new under mailings, and no change to file date, since it went in review for the first time on 3/29/10. Maybe my file is lost somewhere, or in the trash.

With the recent flurry of non-positive activity, I am officially now terrified.... :oops:

User avatar
SportsFanatic
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:01 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby SportsFanatic » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:26 pm

Just curious, is anyone still waiting on scholarship information? I was admitted 2-3 weeks ago and haven't seen anyting.... I'm assuming I got nothing, just trying to make sure I'm not missing something.

User avatar
BleedBlue83
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby BleedBlue83 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:37 pm

First, thanks for the supportive insight above!!!

I was not aware that they only had a status for denials. I was assuming that they sent letters out in the AM and maybe had an administrative employee update a database that fed into the online status checker by COB.

To clarify, there is only an online status update for denials? When does the online status update (if ever) if it's an acceptance or WL, and what are the respective status messages for those conditions?

Do I need to stop refreshing my status checker like a madman and begin staking out the mailman?

raperez129 wrote:
BleedBlue83 wrote:My file just reported "Decision Letter Mailed" this morning, but status still shows "File in Review".

My fate has also now been decided. I'll post the outcome as soon as the status has been updated. :?


Decision Letter Mailed; is that under your mailings section??

Mine still has nothing new under mailings, and no change to file date, since it went in review for the first time on 3/29/10. Maybe my file is lost somewhere, or in the trash.

With the recent flurry of non-positive activity, I am officially now terrified.... :oops:


I sympathize, my stomach has been turning all morning and I am fully unglued.

It's of note that I was applying FT, and if I recall you were applying PT. Most of the decisions yesterday and today have been on FT applications if I'm not mistaken. Keep the faith, and remember that you shouldn't pour that stiff drink until noon at the earliest.

EDIT: Yes, "Decision Letter Mailed" appears under Mailings / "File In Review" = Current Status.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 6 guests