In at University of Houston

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
madmartigan
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:55 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby madmartigan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:49 pm

I have a hard time believing UH is going to offer any scholly $ after deposit deadline. Scholly $ is used to entice people to attend, not reward them after they accept.

UH really messed up by not handing out the grants in their FAID package before deposit deadline. 5k per year grants can turn heads.

FB567
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:42 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby FB567 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:02 pm

madmartigan wrote:I have a hard time believing UH is going to offer any scholly $ after deposit deadline. Scholly $ is used to entice people to attend, not reward them after they accept.


I think there's still a possibility they will offer $ after the deadline. Paying the deposit doesn't = you will attend. You can still get better offers from other schools and I think they know that.

UH really messed up by not handing out the grants in their FAID package before deposit deadline. 5k per year grants can turn heads.


+1

HBK
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby HBK » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:30 pm

BleedBlue83 wrote:No doubt, the scholarships aren't just for kicks - they are needs and merit based. Their intention is to provide applicants an opportunity to attend who could not otherwise, and to bring in top tier competitive students who may return the favor with prestigious careers.

But, we're assuming that they're seriously damaging their program by holding out on disclosing the majority of their scholarship awards. If they're not the only game in town operating this way, then I am willing to bet that the number of applicants who pony up and just pay the seat deposit are worth the small number driven off (no matter how talented they are). At the end of the day they also have to recover costs and raise money to better the institution.

Bottom line, if you think UH is a bad institution and you have other good options (which you do), then you have the option to boycott their deposit fee. It may feel backwards that by doing so you lose the chance to be offered scholarship money ("pay us to see if we'll pay you"), but it isn't like they haven't awarded ANY scholarships, even if only a few. If they thought a candidate walked on water they've already offered him/her money.

Bitterness or the "way it should be" doesn't change the fact that $200 down could save you 100x that. If UH is a top 3 choice for you, I would eat the fee. Consider it the price of doing business... you don't like it, take your business elsewhere.

That's my opinion, and as someone who would pay the same fee I respect yours as well.


I don't think UH is a bad institution. If I did, I wouldn't be so frustrated by their process. I grew up in Houston, have strong ties to the city, and know several UH Law alums who have great things to say about the program. If I could attend UH for cheaper than other schools, I would give it serious consideration (plus I'd get to see my nieces more often).

I think their admissions office blows. That's based on several conversations I've had with them. They are curt and disorganized. You could call the office three times about the same issue and get three different answers. The people ITT who think that waiting to give out scholarship information is part of some grand scheme to reward loyalty instead of the result of an inefficient bureaucracy are seriously blinded by their own idealism.

If I didn't think UH was a good institution, I wouldn't be so aggravated by their awful choices regarding scholarship awards- especially given the recent tuition increase. If they don't plan on giving me any money, that's fine. It would be their choice and I would respect that. I'd rather they came out and told me that instead of leading me along. As it stands, I doubt they are going to give out many more (if any) scholarships, and I won't give them $200 just to continue to be jerked around.

rulagi
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:02 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby rulagi » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:08 am

Has anyone else been accepted ridiculously fast? I submitted my app on Mar 22 and received my acceptance email on the 30th. My scores weren't spectacular either, I was below the 25% GPA line.

Also, anyone considering the university housing or heard about its pros/cons, especially Calhoun Lofts?

merc280
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:52 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby merc280 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:24 am

calhoun lofts are nice. but you could get a really cheap house rented out close to UH. Its not like the campus is any safer than the surrounding area so it'll be much cheaper to live close to UH. BTW, was your gpa under a 3? mine is about a 2.9, and im taking the June lsat and applying next year hoping to get into UH.

rulagi
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:02 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby rulagi » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:41 am

merc280 wrote:calhoun lofts are nice. but you could get a really cheap house rented out close to UH. Its not like the campus is any safer than the surrounding area so it'll be much cheaper to live close to UH. BTW, was your gpa under a 3? mine is about a 2.9, and im taking the June lsat and applying next year hoping to get into UH.


I was looking at the lofts because of how close they are. ATM I live around the corner from my school and still find excuses to not make the drive. Do you know anything about Cullen Oaks?

Yeah, my GPA was a 2.91. But I had, IMO, very strong softs and a solid LSAT.

User avatar
rdcws000
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby rdcws000 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:18 am

rulagi wrote:Has anyone else been accepted ridiculously fast? I submitted my app on Mar 22 and received my acceptance email on the 30th. My scores weren't spectacular either, I was below the 25% GPA line.


Of the varying sentiments regarding UHLC admissions this is not a common one. Not that I'm not envious. I'm one of many who went under review 3/31 hoping for a wave of activity after the 4/15 deadline.

If accepted I'll be living where I currently live in West Houston around I-10 and Eldridge. Not the ideal commute but I am married with 2 kids and don't intend to move them all towards the campus just to benefit me. For what it's worth, I have made the drive to the campus before from out here and it is a 30 minute drive on a good day, 45 with slow-downs on I-10 and I-45. Not as bad as you would think.

User avatar
BleedBlue83
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby BleedBlue83 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:34 am

HBK wrote:
The people ITT who think that waiting to give out scholarship information is part of some grand scheme to reward loyalty instead of the result of an inefficient bureaucracy are seriously blinded by their own idealism.


BleedBlue83 wrote:If they're not the only game in town operating this way, then I am willing to bet that the number of applicants who pony up and just pay the seat deposit are worth the small number driven off (no matter how talented they are). At the end of the day they also have to recover costs and raise money to better the institution.



My thinking is that it isn't about loyalty, but about the money. I assume they're well aware of the risk of driving off some applicants, however if a few hundred more applicants are more apt to pay the seat deposit this way then I'm betting they find it worth their while (as tight as their budget for overhead is, presumably) .

Since they're willing to take that risk, they may be seeing it as a win-win. They get more money out of the admissions cycle, while also seeing who has vested interest in attending, which, as you said may not mean much - but it's better than no indication from the admitted pool from their standpoint. The reality of it is that it's highly likely they're waiting to see what deposits look like before rolling out the last batches of April+ admittances.

I'm not saying that I'm happy and overjoyed to throw $200 at them, but I accept it for what it is. Just try and think about it as an investment that may yield great returns. :wink:

tx1987
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:21 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby tx1987 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:53 am

Is U of H's deposit binding?

User avatar
UTL_plz
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:48 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby UTL_plz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:49 am

I don't believe it is.

Again, a very poor choice on the administration to word the seat deposit form in that way. I was told that they require a more firm commitment later in the Summer, but i don't understand how one can give more commitment than saying he "fully expects". It's not even a seat deposit, its called an enrollment fee and doesn't count towards tuition.

And since this isn't binding, UH doesn't really get a feel for how serious or committed those students paying the $200 are.
:roll:

User avatar
BleedBlue83
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby BleedBlue83 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:53 am

Except that they are more so than those who did not pay...

Just forcing the issue on withdrawals.

User avatar
mr.ford
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:33 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby mr.ford » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:12 pm

Well, the entire admissions office really pulled through for me today. Sending in my seat deposit, see you guys in the fall!

User avatar
UTL_plz
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:48 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby UTL_plz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:14 pm

mr.ford wrote:Well, the entire admissions office really pulled through for me today. Sending in my seat deposit, see you guys in the fall!


how so?

User avatar
mr.ford
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:33 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby mr.ford » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:28 pm

how so?


I got a scholarship. That, and I was really impressed by the communication and effort put forth by the UH admissions staff to persuade me to attend.

User avatar
UTL_plz
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:48 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby UTL_plz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:35 pm

mr.ford wrote:
how so?


I got a scholarship. That, and I was really impressed by the communication and effort put forth by the UH admissions staff to persuade me to attend.


congrats. They clearly value you, and it is obviously a great decision to go somewhere where they have a strong interest in your success.

best of luck to you.

billaboy12
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:23 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby billaboy12 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:41 pm

mr.ford wrote:
how so?


I got a scholarship. That, and I was really impressed by the communication and effort put forth by the UH admissions staff to persuade me to attend.


did you receive a letter/call/email? and what are your numbers if you don't mind me asking?

utswdukie80
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:47 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby utswdukie80 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:43 pm

I have to say my experience with admissions has been much more pleasant than a lot of you posting here. They were always quick to reply to emails and were usually very friendly. That said, I never called so I have no experience with that.

I also got an email with a small scholly. It was enough to finalize my decision so I just mailed my seat deposit. I'll see you guys in the fall!

skoalkat
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby skoalkat » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:42 pm

hey i know this is off topic but nobody responds on the St. Mary's threads..do any of yall know if their seat deposit is binding? I paid it as insurance in case i didn't get in to UH or Baylor...again sorry that its off topic. :!: :?:

User avatar
RyShermanJ
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby RyShermanJ » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:23 pm

skoalkat wrote:hey i know this is off topic but nobody responds on the St. Mary's threads..do any of yall know if their seat deposit is binding? I paid it as insurance in case i didn't get in to UH or Baylor...again sorry that its off topic. :!: :?:


It is not binding. I don't know of any school that has a binding seat deposit. I know that later St Mary's has a binding deposit of $500 or so but I am sure until you sign over FASFA or how ever you are going to pay you can probably go to another school.

moonmaster3
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:56 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby moonmaster3 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:53 pm

utswdukie80 wrote:I have to say my experience with admissions has been much more pleasant than a lot of you posting here. They were always quick to reply to emails and were usually very friendly. That said, I never called so I have no experience with that.

I also got an email with a small scholly. It was enough to finalize my decision so I just mailed my seat deposit. I'll see you guys in the fall!


Stats?

utswdukie80
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:47 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby utswdukie80 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:21 pm

moonmaster3 wrote:
utswdukie80 wrote:I have to say my experience with admissions has been much more pleasant than a lot of you posting here. They were always quick to reply to emails and were usually very friendly. That said, I never called so I have no experience with that.

I also got an email with a small scholly. It was enough to finalize my decision so I just mailed my seat deposit. I'll see you guys in the fall!


Stats?


164, 3.18

moonmaster3
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:56 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby moonmaster3 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:35 pm

utswdukie80 wrote:
moonmaster3 wrote:
utswdukie80 wrote:I have to say my experience with admissions has been much more pleasant than a lot of you posting here. They were always quick to reply to emails and were usually very friendly. That said, I never called so I have no experience with that.

I also got an email with a small scholly. It was enough to finalize my decision so I just mailed my seat deposit. I'll see you guys in the fall!


Stats?


164, 3.18


Damn, no offense to you but I have a 164/3.76. I submitted in early November too...I guess my mistake was sending in a deposit last week?

merc280
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:52 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby merc280 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:51 pm

rulagi wrote:
merc280 wrote:calhoun lofts are nice. but you could get a really cheap house rented out close to UH. Its not like the campus is any safer than the surrounding area so it'll be much cheaper to live close to UH. BTW, was your gpa under a 3? mine is about a 2.9, and im taking the June lsat and applying next year hoping to get into UH.


I was looking at the lofts because of how close they are. ATM I live around the corner from my school and still find excuses to not make the drive. Do you know anything about Cullen Oaks?

Yeah, my GPA was a 2.91. But I had, IMO, very strong softs and a solid LSAT.



cullen oaks is so much older and ghetto. Like you can smell weed just sitting in the hallway. Id choose the lofts over the oaks. I think I have strong softs too,but I guess it depends on my lsat. Hoping to get a 170.

rulagi
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:02 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby rulagi » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:51 pm

merc280 wrote:
rulagi wrote:
merc280 wrote:calhoun lofts are nice. but you could get a really cheap house rented out close to UH. Its not like the campus is any safer than the surrounding area so it'll be much cheaper to live close to UH. BTW, was your gpa under a 3? mine is about a 2.9, and im taking the June lsat and applying next year hoping to get into UH.


I was looking at the lofts because of how close they are. ATM I live around the corner from my school and still find excuses to not make the drive. Do you know anything about Cullen Oaks?

Yeah, my GPA was a 2.91. But I had, IMO, very strong softs and a solid LSAT.



cullen oaks is so much older and ghetto. Like you can smell weed just sitting in the hallway. Id choose the lofts over the oaks. I think I have strong softs too,but I guess it depends on my lsat. Hoping to get a 170.


I cut a 164 and was WL'ed at a couple t-30's. If you can pull a 170 you should consider aiming higher than UofH.

bauer12
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby bauer12 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:35 am

How many people are still in review for FT here?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, ad34964n, aw_1234, Baby Gaga, BobBoblaw, cyclawps, Google Adsense [Bot], jer0689, katthegreat11, Keilz, lillawyer2, Lmorina126, yuppitsme and 43 guests