In at University of Houston

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mr.ford

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby mr.ford » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:15 am

It's a pretty unique problem, at least I hope no one else experienced this, but if you want I'll PM you.

BleedBlue83

Postby BleedBlue83 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:31 pm

madmartigan wrote:
Josh the Goat wrote:
Bustang wrote:Can you post a screenshot of your commute the school everyday? How long is the drive?

I've lived in the downtown area for about 6 years now. I've visited a lot of the apartment complexes while looking for housing, so feel free to ask about any you're considering.

Here's my opinion on the major downtown locations where UH students tend to live:

I can elaborate if anyone wants me to.

Josh, or anyone else familiar with Houston. Several people have recommended I look at "the village" and "kirby" as possible locations for an apartment. Where are those neighborhoods in relation to your map?

FWIW

I live in the "Greenway Plaza & River Oaks" just inside of 610, and I am paying ~$1/sqft. My current commute is not so bad because I'm heading the opposite way of the majority flow on both ends. Getting around on weekends is really not that bad, but weekday AM/PM rush hour + lunchtime can be brutal on the stretch of 610 between I-10 and 59.

I previously lived about 15 miles west of 610 around Eldridge @ Westheimer and was getting a little more bang for my buck ($0.75/sqft). Both properties were comparably nice and in good locations.

Like many major cities, the rental market in Houston is under the squeeze. I grew up in the suburbs outside of Houston, so when I recently moved into town I expected to pay more. Take advantage: when I haggled with the leasing manager she knocked $50/mo off without even batting an eye, and that was after I got them to match another complex nearby at an already reduced rate. I suspect I could have finagled an even better deal had I been really stingy.

Since I've recently gone through the motions, if any of you are looking for specific recommendations PM me and I'll happily point you to a few rental properties that that were reasonable to me.

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:59 pm

Just sent in my seat deposit!!

Zojirushi

Postby Zojirushi » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:16 pm

Just got my Peoplesoft ID. Anyone else? I can't find any financial aid info on myUH though.

UTL_plz

Postby UTL_plz » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:19 pm

I haven't found any use for the peoplesoft yet.

Josh the Goat

Postby Josh the Goat » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:42 pm

Once you're enrolled you'll use peoplesoft to enroll in classes, check grades, pay for classes and check your financials, and order parking passes. That's about all I use it for.

Make sure you go back through your financial data every semester to make sure they have everything correct. Last year they put that my grant was only $500 instead of $5,000. I had to contact Laura Neal to get it sorted out.

On a related note, go back to your professors and ask to look over your exams after each semester. I had a professor completely skip over the first page of my Torts exam and didn't realize it until I went back to look over my exam. That one page bumped me from a B+ to an A-.

HBK

Postby HBK » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:50 pm

Zojirushi wrote:Just got my Peoplesoft ID. Anyone else? I can't find any financial aid info on myUH though.

Same, and when you try to look around, Peoplesoft breaks and wouldn't let me sign in again.

jgrin

Postby jgrin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:56 pm

When are the first round of seat deposits due?

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:16 pm

jgrin wrote:When are the first round of seat deposits due?

This thursday. 4/15

moonmaster3

Postby moonmaster3 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:24 pm

I'm thinking more and more about taking the Baylor money and running w/ it. Bustang..what was your reason for not taking it? I remember you had the same offer.

jgrin

Postby jgrin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:25 pm

Bustang wrote:
jgrin wrote:When are the first round of seat deposits due?

This thursday. 4/15

I would imagine that this will be a dead week then. Next week should be full of excitement though, as I suspect they will send out more acceptances .

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:31 pm

moonmaster3 wrote:I'm thinking more and more about taking the Baylor money and running w/ it. Bustang..what was your reason for not taking it? I remember you had the same offer.

Let me dig up an old post by a member who I can't remember. It will describe my reason perfectly. But quite simply, it has been a "dream" of mine to work in the energy sector for either a drilling company or a larger oil company. I feel that U of H/SMU facilitates me getting closer to that kind of work than Baylor can.

Edit:

kalvano wrote:While it's obviously your choice, you need to take a good, hard look at this.

1 ) For every 1 or 2 posters saying Baylor isn't that bad, there are 10 or 12 cautioning you against Baylor. Again, where there is smoke, there is fire.

2 ) It sounds like you want an ADA position. None of the major cities in Texas have a significant Baylor presence in those offices, if they have one at all.

3 ) Baylor admits to overextending scholarships and calculates that they will be able to rescind several.

4 ) When you should be out looking for a job and networking, you will instead be forced to participate in practice trial whether you want to or not.

5 ) You will have to take 36 credit hours more than other JD students.

6 ) You will get less breaks and have to take more exams.

7 ) Waco sucks. It's heavily, heavily religious, and you better hope you don't have a final around a Christian holiday, because you'll be shut out of the library.

8 ) It's the 4th-best law school in the state, behind other schools that dominate the state and their respective cities, so you're job prospects will be second fiddle to each of these schools.

9 ) Baylor has been steadily falling in the rankings and doing nothing to address it.

As I said, it's your choice, but there are an awful lot of negatives that go along with Baylor.

moonmaster3

Postby moonmaster3 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:45 pm

How would they even go about rescinding offers once you sign? Also, it's harder and harder to justify 80K in debt. Job prospects are low wherever you go right now.

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:59 pm

moonmaster3 wrote:How would they even go about rescinding offers once you sign? Also, it's harder and harder to justify 80K in debt. Job prospects are low wherever you go right now.

If 80k in debt in a good market seems dubious to you, perhaps you should re-consider law school.

Duragon

Postby Duragon » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:03 pm

I have read through the thread hoping to answer this question, but the opinions I have found are inconsistent. So, please, share your thoughts on this topic: I have been accepted to the full time program but I have not been offered any scholarship money. Do you think it is worth submitting the seat deposit in hopes that UH will come around with an offer? It seems very few scholarships have been awarded, which might be an argument for sticking around and giving UH time to make a move. That said, I would not attend UH without some money, and I'm not excited by the idea of giving them $200.

For what it's worth, I think waiting until after the deposit deadline to award scholarships is underhanded, petty and unprofessional. It prevents students from making a thorough, informed assessment of their options, and it encourages students to place deposits at multiple schools. One argument that has been mentioned in support of the school waiting to award scholarships until after the deadline is that doing so allows the admissions office to determine which students "really want to come to UH." I think this is a bad argument. Because most schools allow students to hold seats at multiple schools until later this summer, all that a student really indicates by paying the $200 seat deposit is that they have $200 worth of interest in the idea of attending UH. That's not exactly a characteristic I think admissions should be looking for in selecting students for scholarships.

Unfortunately, based on my personal interactions with the admissions office, and on the experiences related in this thread, I think it is far more likely that the UH admissions office is simply not organized or sophisticated enough to have identified at this point those students to which they want to extend scholarship offers. I can sympathize with the office wanting to use their limited scholarship offers as best they can, but the UH admissions office must match the general schedule and standards of its peer schools if it wants to be competitive. Finally, and this might be petty on my part, but I also find it ridiculous that I can't pay the seat deposit online. I, for one, can't help but worry these shortcomings could be reflected in the education and student experience offered by UH Law. All the same, I'd think about attending if they threw a big pile of money at me. I just don't think I should have to pay a $200 deposit to see if I'm in the running for money.

BleedBlue83

Postby BleedBlue83 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:08 pm

I'm sorry, but unless we're talking about a menage a trois with Jessica Biel and Scarlet Johansen it's hard to swallow (and esp. if they swa... err..) 80k in debt for darn near anything.

I wouldn't say that being comfortable with the potentially astronomical debt you will assume to get a JD is a good measure of candidacy.

moonmaster3

Postby moonmaster3 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:11 pm

BleedBlue83 wrote:I'm sorry, but unless we're talking about a menage a trois with Jessica Biel and Scarlet Johansen it's hard to swallow (and esp. if they swa... err..) 80k in debt for darn near anything.

I wouldn't say that being comfortable with the potentially astronomical debt you will assume to get a JD is a good measure of candidacy.

Exactly what I was thinking...didn't know how to put it in a non-rude way. Unless you are well off or living off daddy's money, 80K debt+interest is hard to take in no matter what. You aren't guaranteed a job and...what are you smoking to think our economy is not in the shit hole still?

EBGB

Postby EBGB » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:19 pm

Duragon wrote:I have read through the thread hoping to answer this question, but the opinions I have found are inconsistent. So, please, share your thoughts on this topic: I have been accepted to the full time program but I have not been offered any scholarship money. Do you think it is worth submitting the seat deposit in hopes that UH will come around with an offer? It seems very few scholarships have been awarded, which might be an argument for sticking around and giving UH time to make a move. That said, I would not attend UH without some money, and I'm not excited by the idea of giving them $200.

For what it's worth, I think waiting until after the deposit deadline to award scholarships is underhanded, petty and unprofessional. It prevents students from making a thorough, informed assessment of their options, and it encourages students to place deposits at multiple schools. One argument that has been mentioned in support of the school waiting to award scholarships until after the deadline is that doing so allows the admissions office to determine which students "really want to come to UH." I think this is a bad argument. Because most schools allow students to hold seats at multiple schools until later this summer, all that a student really indicates by paying the $200 seat deposit is that they have $200 worth of interest in the idea of attending UH. That's not exactly a characteristic I think admissions should be looking for in selecting students for scholarships.

Unfortunately, based on my personal interactions with the admissions office, and on the experiences related in this thread, I think it is far more likely that the UH admissions office is simply not organized or sophisticated enough to have identified at this point those students to which they want to extend scholarship offers. I can sympathize with the office wanting to use their limited scholarship offers as best they can, but the UH admissions office must match the general schedule and standards of its peer schools if it wants to be competitive. Finally, and this might be petty on my part, but I also find it ridiculous that I can't pay the seat deposit online. I, for one, can't help but worry these shortcomings could be reflected in the education and student experience offered by UH Law. All the same, I'd think about attending if they threw a big pile of money at me. I just don't think I should have to pay a $200 deposit to see if I'm in the running for money.

FWIW: In talking to all of my friends who have been through this process in the past, every single one of them said you should expect to put at least one seat deposit (if not two) down that you will lose. It's not just the University of Houston that does this, just like they aren't the only ones without the option to pay deposits online.

BleedBlue83

Postby BleedBlue83 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:37 pm

Duragon wrote:I have read through the thread hoping to answer this question, but the opinions I have found are inconsistent. So, please, share your thoughts on this topic: I have been accepted to the full time program but I have not been offered any scholarship money. Do you think it is worth submitting the seat deposit in hopes that UH will come around with an offer? It seems very few scholarships have been awarded, which might be an argument for sticking around and giving UH time to make a move. That said, I would not attend UH without some money, and I'm not excited by the idea of giving them $200.

I can agree in the long run that to be more competitive the school will need to tweak some of the kinks out of the admissions office/process. First impressions mean a lot to students, and students quickly publicize/share their experiences through outlets like this forum board.

What I take issue with is the general feeling of entitlement so many applicants feel regarding scholarship monies. The admissions office could make a compelling argument that it doesn't want students who would base their decision to matriculate solely on scholarship money. They won't let you have your cake AND eat it, too...

A good business mantra to consider: You have to spend money to make money. Suppose you put down $600 in seat deposits with confidence that your apps will earn you a sizable scholarship somewhere. Is it worth saving that $200 if that particular school turns out to be the one who was going to offer you a hefty sack of loot?

It is what it is at the end of the day. All things relative, If in your case you really like UH and it's one of your top schools, then commit to them. If you have marginal to much better offers, are confident that you'll earn scholly money elsewhere, and want to save $200 (though you may potentially save more later if offered scholly $), I would weigh those other options accordingly. It sounds to me like you've got acceptances to much better schools, but are miffed that your middle to lower tier options aren't throwing the kitchen sink at you?

HBK

Postby HBK » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:45 pm

EBGB wrote:

FWIW: In talking to all of my friends who have been through this process in the past, every single one of them said you should expect to put at least one seat deposit (if not two) down that you will lose. It's not just the University of Houston that does this, just like they aren't the only ones without the option to pay deposits online.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Anyone willing to pay $200 to find out if they're getting a scholarship either really wants to go there or doesn't have any other options. Scholarships are meant to draw in competitive students, and UH is failing in this regard. Combine that with the recent tuition increase, and I'd be surprised if their rank doesn't drop considerably in the next two years.

Reasons to waste a tuition deposit:
a) You're hoping to hear back from a waitlist, but you'd be okay attending the school if you don't get accepted somewhere better.
b) You are negotiating for a larger scholarship and the school wants to see if more money is available after deposits are due.

Not a reason: to see if you get a scholarship to a school.

UH's admissions office is horribly mismanaged, and their lack of efficiency is really going to hurt their ability to get top students.

I would like to be able to weigh the pros and cons of each school while to make my decision. This includes price. UH is the only school I've been admitted to that hasn't come out with scholarship info. If UH doesn't tell me whether I'm getting a scholarship prior to deposit deadline, then I will withdraw. I'm not willing to pay sticker (which has recently increased considerably) to attend UH. Currently, for me, SMU is a cheaper option than UH, and that's not the way it's supposed to work. UH is supposed to be the best bang for your buck in Texas.

0 and 16

Postby 0 and 16 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:53 pm

You seem high-strung. I don't think screwston, tx is the best place for you to go to law school.

HBK

Postby HBK » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:54 pm

BleedBlue83 wrote:What I take issue with is the general feeling of entitlement so many applicants feel regarding scholarship monies. The admissions office could make a compelling argument that it doesn't want students who would base their decision to matriculate solely on scholarship money. They won't let you have your cake AND eat it, too...

A good business mantra to consider: You have to spend money to make money. Suppose you put down $600 in seat deposits with confidence that your apps will earn you a sizable scholarship somewhere. Is it worth saving that $200 if that particular school turns out to be the one who was going to offer you a hefty sack of loot?

A better business mantra to consider: Don't throw good money after bad.

If the admissions office doesn't want to entice students with scholarship money, then why would they offer anyone scholarships. I mean, if someone says, "I want to attend your school and don't even care about scholarships," then why would they say "Sure, and you know what, here's a $10,000 discount, just because you're a great guy!"

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:14 pm

Or maybe they prefer to function outside the norm? 99% of schools use scholarships as tools for recruitment. Great. However, I imagine it is annoying for the adcoms to sit back down and reallocate said funds when 50% of the people they admit withdraw. Also, it works in the benefit of people who actually want to go to the school. I don't want to compete against some jack-off with UT #'s that applied to the school simply so he could get in somewhere. He won't pay the seat deposit because he isn't committed; I am. Reward those who are likely to attend; not those who simply want to compare options. Also, U of H presents a level fair level of debt even without a scholarship (Tulane is still more expensive to attend despite 20k scholarship a year they offered me) . Stop complaining.

BleedBlue83

Postby BleedBlue83 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:22 pm

HBK wrote:
BleedBlue83 wrote:What I take issue with is the general feeling of entitlement so many applicants feel regarding scholarship monies. The admissions office could make a compelling argument that it doesn't want students who would base their decision to matriculate solely on scholarship money. They won't let you have your cake AND eat it, too...

If the admissions office doesn't want to entice students with scholarship money, then why would they offer anyone scholarships. I mean, if someone says, "I want to attend your school and don't even care about scholarships," then why would they say "Sure, and you know what, here's a $10,000 discount, just because you're a great guy!"

No doubt, the scholarships aren't just for kicks - they are needs and merit based. Their intention is to provide applicants an opportunity to attend who could not otherwise, and to bring in top tier competitive students who may return the favor with prestigious careers.

But, we're assuming that they're seriously damaging their program by holding out on disclosing the majority of their scholarship awards. If they're not the only game in town operating this way, then I am willing to bet that the number of applicants who pony up and just pay the seat deposit are worth the small number driven off (no matter how talented they are). At the end of the day they also have to recover costs and raise money to better the institution.

Bottom line, if you think UH is a bad institution and you have other good options (which you do), then you have the option to boycott their deposit fee. It may feel backwards that by doing so you lose the chance to be offered scholarship money ("pay us to see if we'll pay you"), but it isn't like they haven't awarded ANY scholarships, even if only a few. If they thought a candidate walked on water they've already offered him/her money.

Bitterness or the "way it should be" doesn't change the fact that $200 down could save you 100x that. If UH is a top 3 choice for you, I would eat the fee. Consider it the price of doing business... you don't like it, take your business elsewhere.

That's my opinion, and as someone who would pay the same fee I respect yours as well.

dolce102

Postby dolce102 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:40 pm

BleedBlue83 wrote:
HBK wrote:

No doubt, the scholarships aren't just for kicks - they are needs and merit based. Their intention is to provide applicants an opportunity to attend who could not otherwise, and to bring in top tier competitive students who may return the favor with prestigious careers.

But, we're assuming that they're seriously damaging their program by holding out on disclosing the majority of their scholarship awards. If they're not the only game in town operating this way, then I am willing to bet that the number of applicants who pony up and just pay the seat deposit are worth the small number driven off (no matter how talented they are). At the end of the day they also have to recover costs and raise money to better the institution.

Bottom line, if you think UH is a bad institution and you have other good options (which you do), then you have the option to boycott their deposit fee. It may feel backwards that by doing so you lose the chance to be offered scholarship money ("pay us to see if we'll pay you"), but it isn't like they haven't awarded ANY scholarships, even if only a few. If they thought a candidate walked on water they've already offered him/her money.

Bitterness or the "way it should be" doesn't change the fact that $200 down could save you 100x that. If UH is a top 3 choice for you, I would eat the fee. Consider it the price of doing business... you don't like it, take your business elsewhere.

That's my opinion, and as someone who would pay the same fee I respect yours as well.

Very well said... If they didn't care about specific applicants then no one on this thread would have a scholarship. They obviously do care so scholarships have been awarded

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”