In at University of Houston

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mikacabra
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby Mikacabra » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:03 pm

moonmaster3 wrote:so if we haven't received word on merit scholarships at this point...are we SOL?


I just received merit scholarship notification this morning so there may still be hope.

moonmaster3
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:56 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby moonmaster3 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:15 pm

Stats if you don't mind me asking? E-mail or snail? Also...did you already send out your deposit? Cause I sent mine out last week and I am afraid that it might have hurt my chances at a scholly since they now see that I am going regardless.

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby jgrin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:24 pm

raperez129 wrote:
jgrin wrote:Is it true that UH received fewer PT applications this cycle than in previous years?



Not sure about this cycle in particular, but I know that in general, they receive several times more FT apps than PT apps. Hopefully that means they can get through the PT apps quickly.


In regards to strictly numbers, whose application do you think the admissions committee favors more, mine or yours. My LSAT is 2 points below yours, but I believe my GPA is higher.

The question at heart is, do they value a stronger GPA or a stronger LSAT?

moonmaster3
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:56 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby moonmaster3 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:27 pm

jgrin wrote:
raperez129 wrote:
jgrin wrote:Is it true that UH received fewer PT applications this cycle than in previous years?



Not sure about this cycle in particular, but I know that in general, they receive several times more FT apps than PT apps. Hopefully that means they can get through the PT apps quickly.


In regards to strictly numbers, whose application do you think the admissions committee favors more, mine or yours. My LSAT is 2 points below yours, but I believe my GPA is higher.

The question at heart is, do they value a stronger GPA or a stronger LSAT?


LSAT...this isn't even debatable unless your GPA is like a 4.

Mikacabra
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby Mikacabra » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:28 pm

moonmaster3 wrote:Stats if you don't mind me asking? E-mail or snail? Also...did you already send out your deposit? Cause I sent mine out last week and I am afraid that it might have hurt my chances at a scholly since they now see that I am going regardless.


3.47/171
Non-URM
Non-Resident

I'm a Canadian Engineer and have been working in H-town for the last year and a half. I got hitched back in the Fall and am in the process for applying for a green card and as a result considered a non-resident despite being here as long as I have been.

I received the notification by e-mail with a note saying there would be follow up by snail.

As for the seat deposit, I haven't put mine in yet.

moonmaster3
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:56 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby moonmaster3 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:31 pm

Mikacabra wrote:
moonmaster3 wrote:Stats if you don't mind me asking? E-mail or snail? Also...did you already send out your deposit? Cause I sent mine out last week and I am afraid that it might have hurt my chances at a scholly since they now see that I am going regardless.


3.47/171
Non-URM
Non-Resident

I'm a Canadian Engineer and have been working in H-town for the last year and a half. I got hitched back in the Fall and am in the process for applying for a green card and as a result considered a non-resident despite being here as long as I have been.

I received the notification by e-mail with a note saying there would be follow up by snail.

As for the seat deposit, I haven't put mine in yet.


Well your LSAT is what did it I guess. I'm a 3.7x/164. How much loot did they throw your way? You dont hafta tell me a number...I'm just trying to gauge if I have a chance at all. If they only gave you a couple thousand than obviously I have no chance.

Mikacabra
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby Mikacabra » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:40 pm

moonmaster3 wrote:
Mikacabra wrote:
moonmaster3 wrote:Stats if you don't mind me asking? E-mail or snail? Also...did you already send out your deposit? Cause I sent mine out last week and I am afraid that it might have hurt my chances at a scholly since they now see that I am going regardless.


3.47/171
Non-URM
Non-Resident

I'm a Canadian Engineer and have been working in H-town for the last year and a half. I got hitched back in the Fall and am in the process for applying for a green card and as a result considered a non-resident despite being here as long as I have been.

I received the notification by e-mail with a note saying there would be follow up by snail.

As for the seat deposit, I haven't put mine in yet.


Well your LSAT is what did it I guess. I'm a 3.7x/164. How much loot did they throw your way? You dont hafta tell me a number...I'm just trying to gauge if I have a chance at all. If they only gave you a couple thousand than obviously I have no chance.


It was enough that I'm not all that cranky about my gnawed fingernails from the admin office making me wait to hear about it.

Basically, it wasn't anything like a full-ride but I'd imagine that they'd give out smaller amounts.

AGA
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:18 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby AGA » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:01 pm

Did anyone called in to check how many FT students have been waitlisted this year by UH?

User avatar
raperez129
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:23 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby raperez129 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:43 pm

AGA wrote:Did anyone called in to check how many FT students have been waitlisted this year by UH?


In addition, I'd love to know how many FT apps were encouraged to switch to PT consideration.

j32f
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby j32f » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:53 pm

So, any FT applicants have their mailing list updated to say a decision has been made, and then not had the status update change? Any idea what that means?

AGA
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:18 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby AGA » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:56 pm

raperez129 wrote:
AGA wrote:Did anyone called in to check how many FT students have been waitlisted this year by UH?


In addition, I'd love to know how many FT apps were encouraged to switch to PT consideration.



oh I know, once the decision has been rendered they don't allow you to switch b/w FT and PT
Last edited by AGA on Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby keg411 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:16 pm

raperez129 wrote:
AGA wrote:Did anyone called in to check how many FT students have been waitlisted this year by UH?


In addition, I'd love to know how many FT apps were encouraged to switch to PT consideration.


They never gave me that option, though I would have considered it. UH is awful with their WL's. No instructions whatsoever. All you get is a status update and then a snail mail letter which just basically says "You've been WL'd. We'll consider you if we feel like it. Bye". Not even a "if you have updates to your file, please contact us at blah blah blah blah".

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby jgrin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:27 pm

Anybody hear anything today? I saw someone was accepted on LSN.

User avatar
Texasboundanddown
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby Texasboundanddown » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:01 pm

AGA wrote:
raperez129 wrote:
AGA wrote:Did anyone called in to check how many FT students have been waitlisted this year by UH?


In addition, I'd love to know how many FT apps were encouraged to switch to PT consideration.



oh I know, once the decision has been rendered they don't allow you to switch b/w FT and PT


O weird, they asked me last year if I wanted to switch to PT after being WL...

egrandio
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:35 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby egrandio » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:55 am

I was notified that Im on the WL on 4/2. Anyone else?

AGA
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:18 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby AGA » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:48 am

Does anyone know how the waitlist thing works at UH? Is there any waitlisted student that made to FT last year???? Please PM me

User avatar
RyShermanJ
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby RyShermanJ » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:20 am

AGA wrote:Does anyone know how the waitlist thing works at UH? Is there any waitlisted student that made to FT last year???? Please PM me


Yeah man. Read this thread farther back and you will get some idea how it worked last year. It looks like July was when people started to hear.

hjl47
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:12 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby hjl47 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:31 am

lewis louis wrote:
hjl47 wrote:
bebesu wrote:Waitlisted PT on Friday - here's to waiting it out!


damn me too.....wtf!??!! guess i gotta wait it out as well....mind sharing stats?
hjl47 wrote:
jenly wrote:I was waitlisted PT today... Anyone know how many they usually WL? Also, how do you submit LOCI/updated info? Via email?


+1 i just hope i can squeeze in later on in the cycle.....=(


Anyone PT with a decision wanna share stats with me as well? You can Pm if you feel more comfortable


160 3.36 TX CPA w/ 4+ yrs Work Exp 2 yrs of them at PwC.

Other PT'ers please share stats! also, what do you think of sending in a LOCI?

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby jgrin » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:31 pm

egrandio wrote:I was notified that Im on the WL on 4/2. Anyone else?


Stats, if you don't mind? and FT/PT?

User avatar
Josh the Goat
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:17 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby Josh the Goat » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:31 pm

2009 Houston Area Murder Map

For those of you looking for housing in Houston, you may want to compare this to whatever apartments you're considering.

User avatar
hotdog123
Posts: 400
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:15 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby hotdog123 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:34 pm

Josh the Goat wrote:2009 Houston Area Murder Map

For those of you looking for housing in Houston, you may want to compare this to whatever apartments you're considering.


Translation; stay the fuck away from the 5th ward, Sunnyside, and Sharpstown.

User avatar
BleedBlue83
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby BleedBlue83 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:52 pm

DonnyMost wrote:
Josh the Goat wrote:2009 Houston Area Murder Map

For those of you looking for housing in Houston, you may want to compare this to whatever apartments you're considering.


Translation; stay the fuck away from the 5th ward, Sunnyside, and Sharpstown.


Eloquently put.

Seriously though, as a Houston native I second this advice. It's not worth saving $100/mo on rent by compromising your personal and property safety, especially if you bring a wife and children into the fold with you.

Nice to make everyone's acquaintance (first post). I've been reading for awhile and this forum has definitely helped curb some of the stresses of the admissions process.

File complete 2/13, under review 3/31 for FT

I wish everyone the best of luck and congrats to those who've been admitted... here's to hoping I get an opportunity to see you in the Fall.

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby jgrin » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:29 pm

hjl47 wrote:
lewis louis wrote:
hjl47 wrote:
bebesu wrote:Waitlisted PT on Friday - here's to waiting it out!


damn me too.....wtf!??!! guess i gotta wait it out as well....mind sharing stats?
hjl47 wrote:
jenly wrote:I was waitlisted PT today... Anyone know how many they usually WL? Also, how do you submit LOCI/updated info? Via email?


+1 i just hope i can squeeze in later on in the cycle.....=(


Anyone PT with a decision wanna share stats with me as well? You can Pm if you feel more comfortable


160 3.36 TX CPA w/ 4+ yrs Work Exp 2 yrs of them at PwC.

Other PT'ers please share stats! also, what do you think of sending in a LOCI?


How were you not admitted? you have a CPA. Someone got in to FT with a 154 and a 3.5.

User avatar
mr.ford
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:33 am

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby mr.ford » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:20 pm

Anybody else going to Admitted Students Day on Friday? If so, see ya there!

bauer12
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby bauer12 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:41 pm

To FT's still waiting:
I don't think anybody should count themselves out at this point if you haven't heard. I hate to say it but I've heard there will be a handful of people with lower numbers gaining admittance and people with higher numbers with less fortune. At this stage in the process the majority of the applicants have already been admitted so the school's target numbers are mostly established. I'm not saying.. I'm just saying don't be surprised if you see people getting in because of specific non-number related things impacting the committee's decisions(no specific regard to URM's... more like various softs)... and I mean this being applied to people hovering around the 25% line off median and probably not much lower. With this being said good luck to all.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”