In at University of Houston

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
YEM

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby YEM » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:51 pm

YEM wrote:
...The lack of scholarship cash makes the decision. I'm not sure that Houston gave PT scholarships to begin with, let alone now that their budget has been axed. The fact that they won't invest $0.44 in a stamp to send an acceptance letter isn't a good sign.

I was probably a bit too negative regarding postage and scholarship frugality at UofH. Perhaps they're saving all that postage so that somebody on the board can score a fat stack of cash. I'm afraid, however, that won't be me. I received the following in an email at the end of last week in response to a question about scholarships:

"Our scholarship budget is not designated as full-time or part-time, but rather it is one pool of money. We have made some awards and will make additional offers in the next week or so and continue to make offers into the summer as funds are available."

That sounds to me like a gentle way of saying that I should not expect $$ from Houston. ...strikes and gutters, ups and downs... Withdrawing today. Good luck everybody.

atfarmer

Postby atfarmer » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:53 pm

madmartigan wrote:So is anyone going to the ASD? On the 9th I believe.

I'll be there

drwjr21

Postby drwjr21 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:09 pm

Withdrew Today, Good Luck to y'all

skoalkat

Postby skoalkat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:23 pm

jgrin wrote:
skoalkat wrote:Just went under review :oops:

On 3/30? When was your app complete?

I want UH bad

my app was complete on 2/15

HBK

Postby HBK » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:30 pm

YEM wrote:
YEM wrote:
...The lack of scholarship cash makes the decision. I'm not sure that Houston gave PT scholarships to begin with, let alone now that their budget has been axed. The fact that they won't invest $0.44 in a stamp to send an acceptance letter isn't a good sign.

I was probably a bit too negative regarding postage and scholarship frugality at UofH. Perhaps they're saving all that postage so that somebody on the board can score a fat stack of cash. I'm afraid, however, that won't be me. I received the following in an email at the end of last week in response to a question about scholarships:

"Our scholarship budget is not designated as full-time or part-time, but rather it is one pool of money. We have made some awards and will make additional offers in the next week or so and continue to make offers into the summer as funds are available."

That sounds to me like a gentle way of saying that I should not expect $$ from Houston. ...strikes and gutters, ups and downs... Withdrawing today. Good luck everybody.

That's not what I read into that at all. I called the office last week (maybe the week before), and was told that they'd be making announcements this week. Just because they didn't say that you were going to get one doesn't mean that you won't. I have been very dissatisfied with their admissions office. They aren't very student-friendly.

skoalkat

Postby skoalkat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:44 pm

HBK wrote:
YEM wrote:
YEM wrote:

That's not what I read into that at all. I called the office last week (maybe the week before), and was told that they'd be making announcements this week. Just because they didn't say that you were going to get one doesn't mean that you won't. I have been very dissatisfied with their admissions office. They aren't very student-friendly.

Texas Tech's is even worse.......they are rude
Last edited by skoalkat on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madmartigan

Postby madmartigan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:59 pm

YEM wrote:
YEM wrote:

They have literally been saying "we are going to send scholarship money out next week" for about 2 months.

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:37 pm

has u of h posted any career info for 2009?

jgrin

Postby jgrin » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:39 pm

skoalkat wrote:
jgrin wrote:
skoalkat wrote:Just went under review :oops:

On 3/30? When was your app complete?

I want UH bad

my app was complete on 2/15

What are your stats? did you apply FT or PT?

madmartigan

Postby madmartigan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:55 pm

Bustang wrote:has u of h posted any career info for 2009?

They sent me a letter that says 95% employment, 80k median salary, and 60% of the class went into private practice.

Texasboundanddown

Postby Texasboundanddown » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:58 pm

Hmm I was going to post the exact opposite of what people have been saying. Their admissions office has been nothing but very nice to me when I sent in an addendum and had a question about my application. The responses have been prompt, very nice, and pleasant. So much so that if I get in, I'm going to track down the lady that has been helping me and buy her flowers or something :D . hahaha

Texan09

Postby Texan09 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:12 pm

Last edited by Texan09 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

texasforever

Postby texasforever » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:40 pm

Is the deposit deadline the 1st or the 15th?

mr.ford

Postby mr.ford » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:48 am

Pretty sure it's due on the 15th. Unfortunately, SMU's is due on the 1st. Frustrating, but smart on their part I suppose. :evil:

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:35 am

File in Review today, YEAH!

Even though I may be in this status for some time, it feels great just knowing someone might be looking at it now.

PT applicant, 3.5, 159, my file went complete 2/3.

This should be interesting. I have a criminal history as a juvenile which I disclosed and included an addendum. My thought is if they are totally repulsed they will reject quickly. Maybe that's just wishful thinking. Anyway, feels good to enter the next stage.

AngeLaDona

Postby AngeLaDona » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:23 pm

AGA wrote:
AngeLaDona wrote:
AGA wrote:Hi

My current status date changed to 3/29/2010. It still says file under review. The wait is killing. I am an in-state student with 156/4.0 and 5 yrs of experience. Don't know what to expect....feeling scared

Are you applying for PT or FT? When did you submit? I submitted in mid January. I have similar stats with 5 year work history and am still in review as well...

I am applying FT. I submitted in Jan. Few days later the status changed to file complete, then in last week of Feb it again changed to File under review. Yesterday the date changed to 3/29. What do you think the chances of admission are?

I am thinking they liked what they saw with the WH, personal statement, and LOR but are waiting to see what those with higher LSAT/GPA do before deciding. I am hopeful because we haven't been WL or rejected yet and others who have submitted after us with higher numerical stats have.

j32f

Postby j32f » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:34 pm

So my file went under review on 3/9, then it changed to file under review - 3/30 yesterday. Today they updated it again to file under review 3/31. Any idea what that means?

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:37 pm

j32f wrote:So my file went under review on 3/9, then it changed to file under review - 3/30 yesterday. Today they updated it again to file under review 3/31. Any idea what that means?

somebody spilled their coffee on the server

bauer12

Postby bauer12 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:25 pm

In review for the first time 3/31

File complete 2/15, a little under the lsat median so lets hope my softs help out a bunch

kh86

Postby kh86 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:36 pm

got in yesterday via status checker. I'm a PT applicant (164/3.18)

utswdukie80

Postby utswdukie80 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:43 pm

Is anybody going to the Admitted Students Reception here in Dallas? Has anybody gone to a previous one? If so, are they worth attending? Thanks.

jgrin

Postby jgrin » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:04 pm

File in Review today! Pretty nervous, but I think deep down I know this is a rejection waiting to happen. I still have hope though.

3.47/153/PT

raperez129

Postby raperez129 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:19 pm

As much as I don't want to admit it, I think the remainder of us are likely to be in the WL/reject group. :(
Based on their prior cycles, it seems like most everyone that was a for sure was admitted by March. A few in April, but the majority thereafter is WL/reject. I think they are waiting for seat deposits. This recent flurry of activity seems to signal that they've moved on to the next "class" of applicants. Woe is me..... :oops:

jgrin

Postby jgrin » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:24 pm

raperez129 wrote:As much as I don't want to admit it, I think the remainder of us are likely to be in the WL/reject group. :(
Based on their prior cycles, it seems like most everyone that was a for sure was admitted by March. A few in April, but the majority thereafter is WL/reject. I think they are waiting for seat deposits. This recent flurry of activity seems to signal that they've moved on to the next "class" of applicants. Woe is me..... :oops:

I would have to agree, but how many people have they let in to their PT program as of yet. The recent flurry may be due to the fact that they just started reviewing PT applications.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:34 pm

3x in review as well, now UR 3/31; I think my first date UR was 2/26.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”