In at University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Texasboundanddown

Bronze

Re: In at University of Houston

Post by Texasboundanddown » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:08 pm

atfarmer wrote:Maybe wait until Monday because I think it takes them a few days to notify everybody, but yea, I don't think there's anything wrong with a call at this stage of the game. It's getting close to the seat deposit deadline and it's time for us prospective students to start making decisions.
Do they have a "In Review" setting on the application checker? "Complete" is all I have seen and I expected to at least be looked at by now. Sorry for asking so many questions.

Texan09

New

Post by Texan09 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:24 pm

Texasboundanddown wrote:
atfarmer wrote:Maybe wait until Monday because I think it takes them a few days to notify everybody, but yea, I don't think there's anything wrong with a call at this stage of the game. It's getting close to the seat deposit deadline and it's time for us prospective students to start making decisions.
Do they have a "In Review" setting on the application checker? "Complete" is all I have seen and I expected to at least be looked at by now. Sorry for asking so many questions.
I'm right there with you. I went complete on 2/15. No status change so far. My numbers don't make me auto-admit for FT but that shouldn't matter with rolling applications. My status should at least change.

UH is way up on my list because of the hazelwood act, so I really want to hear back soon.

waverider

Bronze

Post by waverider » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:33 am

Yes they do have an in review message

I've been there for a month

FT (161,3.45)

roecyris

New

Post by roecyris » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:18 am

Texasboundanddown wrote:
It will say "File In Review" ... my changed to that 2 days ago. I'm sure I have another 2-5 weeks of waiting before hearing more. C'est la vie.

clwilson6

Bronze

Post by clwilson6 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:18 am

When is the seat deposit required for UH? I think they're doing like every other school is this cycle and are holding on to packages and not making a decision until the people they've already accepted either make their seat deposits or withdraw. But, with people applying and getting accepted to so many schools and still waiting on other's, those of us who aren't auto-admit, and those who've applied later in the cycle may end up waiting longer for a decision or may end upon on the waitlist until the schools know for sure who's coming.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AngeLaDona

New

Post by AngeLaDona » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:19 am

raperez129 wrote:
AngeLaDona wrote:I'm glad to see I am not the only one frustrated with UH. I applied to all three law schools in Houston for the FT program and heard back from both TSU and STCL within weeks (admitted to both). File went "In review" on 02/26. With deposit due dates coming up, I might have to move forward with one of the other schools. :x

Me too. Clearly, they hold themselves out to be the superior school of the three, and therefore have self-justified treating applicants to frustration and agony. Evidently, in their quest for climbing the rankings, they step on the backs of the students that will need to perform to get them there.... :x
I hated to think that but it seems to be the case. I feel that because I have some strong softs - 5 yr WH with the state, SB pres., and a few certifications and a URM - but LSAT/GPA both average 158/3.2 that they are holding my application to see what the 160+ LSATs do before formally waitlisting or rejecting me. But congrats on TSU and STCL. Have you decided where you will attend if UH doesn't pan out? You can PM me.

AngeLaDona

New

Post by AngeLaDona » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:25 am

lawschool10 wrote:Well consider yourself lucky, at least you heard from STCL and congratulations. I am still waiting and I submitted my application prior to yours. The waiting is sheer agony.
Thanks. When did you submit your application? I submitted all apps at the beginning of January. UH had yet to update my status to "complete" by 01/20 and even then I had to email them to inquire about the status because I hadn't even received access to the application status checker. Went into review 02/26. By that date STCL and TSU had responded affirmatively. Best of luck to you.

utswdukie80

New

Post by utswdukie80 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:34 am

clwilson6 wrote:When is the seat deposit required for UH? I think they're doing like every other school is this cycle and are holding on to packages and not making a decision until the people they've already accepted either make their seat deposits or withdraw. But, with people applying and getting accepted to so many schools and still waiting on other's, those of us who aren't auto-admit, and those who've applied later in the cycle may end up waiting longer for a decision or may end upon on the waitlist until the schools know for sure who's coming.
The seat deposits are due April 15th.

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:03 pm

AngeLaDona wrote:
lawschool10 wrote:Well consider yourself lucky, at least you heard from STCL and congratulations. I am still waiting and I submitted my application prior to yours. The waiting is sheer agony.
Thanks. When did you submit your application? I submitted all apps at the beginning of January. UH had yet to update my status to "complete" by 01/20 and even then I had to email them to inquire about the status because I hadn't even received access to the application status checker. Went into review 02/26. By that date STCL and TSU had responded affirmatively. Best of luck to you.
When did you submit to STCL? I submitted on 2/5 and went complete 2/8. I have been waiting ever since. I have a 153 and a 3.47.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AngeLaDona

New

Post by AngeLaDona » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:05 pm

jgrin wrote:
AngeLaDona wrote:
When did you submit to STCL? I submitted on 2/5 and went complete 2/8. I have been waiting ever since. I have a 153 and a 3.47.
I submitted applications to UH, TSU, and STCL on 01/07/2010. Your stats are comparable to mine so I am sure you will do just fine. Good luck!

hjl47

New

Post by hjl47 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:25 pm

just tried calling the admissions office, going straight to voicemail. I wonder if they are just super busy, or screening phone calls for the time being.

any word for PT'ers? i have been in review since 2/26 and am anxiously awaiting a decision before i have to put a deposit on stcl.

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:47 pm

hjl47 wrote:just tried calling the admissions office, going straight to voicemail. I wonder if they are just super busy, or screening phone calls for the time being.

any word for PT'ers? i have been in review since 2/26 and am anxiously awaiting a decision before i have to put a deposit on stcl.

I'm guessing they are screening. Don't hold your breath. Seems like most P/T-ers aren't notified until May thru July, and even up until the week before class starts. I have to put my deposit down at STCL too, and it sucks that I *hope* that I loose it.

texlawtex

New

Post by texlawtex » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:26 am

I was in review since feb and then it changed. Anyone with any advice on what to expect, any guesses on when I will get a response.

I would love to go to UH and i really want to know!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

heyzeus

New

Post by heyzeus » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:39 pm

Sent in at 2/15 deadline went under review 2/20 and havent gotten an email or anything but on my online status check it said Decision Rendered -- Admitted on 3/18. 164/ 3.7

RyShermanJ

New

Post by RyShermanJ » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:49 pm

heyzeus wrote:Sent in at 2/15 deadline went under review 2/20 and havent gotten an email or anything but on my online status check it said Decision Rendered -- Admitted on 3/18. 164/ 3.7
congrats

lawschool10

New

Post by lawschool10 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:54 pm

heyzeus wrote:Sent in at 2/15 deadline went under review 2/20 and havent gotten an email or anything but on my online status check it said Decision Rendered -- Admitted on 3/18. 164/ 3.7

Congrats. PT or FT?

Prelawtiger

New

Post by Prelawtiger » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:01 pm

So, I submitted on 2/15, went complete 2/16, and haven't had any change or heard anything since. Not an "in review" or anything. Should I send an email to check up?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AngeLaDona

New

Post by AngeLaDona » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:19 pm

Prelawtiger wrote:So, I submitted on 2/15, went complete 2/16, and haven't had any change or heard anything since. Not an "in review" or anything. Should I send an email to check up?
You can send an email but the most likely reply will be along the lines of " We review applications in the order that they are received. As soon as your file comes under review, your status will change. Thank you for your patience." And that is assuming they respond at all. (I sent an email 2 weeks ago and haven't received a response. My file is still "In Review". They are taking there time this cycle. It is just a waiting game at this point. Good luck to you!

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:29 pm

I believe FT apps are being reviewed first even if they came in after PT apps.

For PT applicants, I don't think (unless someone can correct me) ANY PT'ers have been admitted except for those with stellar numbers. I don't think the bulk of PT review has even begun.

I'm not complaining about this, I think it makes sense. Just trying to let PT'ers know they really have nothing to be concerned about if they haven't heard anything, or even gone under review yet.

moonmaster3

New

Post by moonmaster3 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:33 pm

Is there a way to put your deposit down online or do you have to mail in that form they gave you?

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:23 pm

rdcws000 wrote:I believe FT apps are being reviewed first even if they came in after PT apps.

For PT applicants, I don't think (unless someone can correct me) ANY PT'ers have been admitted except for those with stellar numbers. I don't think the bulk of PT review has even begun.

I'm not complaining about this, I think it makes sense. Just trying to let PT'ers know they really have nothing to be concerned about if they haven't heard anything, or even gone under review yet.
I'm a non-stellar PT applicant, and that is my understanding as well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HOPPER4213

New

Post by HOPPER4213 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:14 am

Still waiting patiently as a FT applicant that applied on November 1st. This is a long and arduous process no doubt, but if last year is any indication of the wait period we should all have our decisions by early April. The numbers of applications are going up as well, so mid April probably wouldnt be a huge surprise.

The saving grace at this point is that LSN has not rejected anyone with my numbers so far(161, 3.79), and the 2009 cycle actually admitted 119/121 applicants with a 161/3.5+. Anyone else in this same boat with a 160+ still on stand by with UH admissions?

j32f

New

Post by j32f » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:18 am

I am still waiting to hear back Hopper

Been in review since march 9th, file complete on January 21st

160, 3.7

HOPPER4213

New

Post by HOPPER4213 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:45 am

Yep Ive been in review on 1/20, 2/15, and now 3/15. It just updates the date of review, but never updates the status. If they know that they are going to admit that large of a majority of 160+ applicants, i dont quite understand why they take so long to pull the trigger.

Oh well, it will be worth the wait if I get in. It is the most underrated school for job prospects in the 20-60 range of the news week rankings. Houston is a beast in the legal market in that city, and one of the few non t25 schools that boast a 20% success rate to the top 250 law firms. Ill keep waiting no problem, though the suspense is growing daily.

YEM

New

Post by YEM » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:37 pm

hjl47 wrote: any word for PT'ers? ...
There was apparently some movement on 3/18 by Status Checker.

I was In Review since 2/18 for Part Time. In via Status Checker dated 3/18, like some others on the board.

Good luck to those of you still in the waiting room.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”