In at University of Houston

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
roofles

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby roofles » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:03 am

Zojirushi wrote:
roofles wrote:
Also, on another note, why does Houston list Virginia as VI in the online status check? It makes me worry that they think that I am applying from the Virgin Islands.

We don't worry about other states in Texas.

:mrgreen: That is the presumption coming from my family members in Texas as well.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:08 am

Native Texans (and even some transplants) can be very Texas-centric. Once you've had our food, met the people, and seen a little bit of the state, you'll understand why.

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:17 am

Zojirushi wrote:
roofles wrote:
Also, on another note, why does Houston list Virginia as VI in the online status check? It makes me worry that they think that I am applying from the Virgin Islands.

We don't worry about other states in Texas.

Truth.

They might as well put "State: Who gives a shit/Not Texas"

kh86

Postby kh86 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:58 am

roofles wrote:PT app here...

Current Status: File Complete
Current Status Date: 2/15/2010

I'm also a PT applicant. Finally went complete after having them hold my application for my Feb. LSAT yesterday.

lawschool10

Postby lawschool10 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:02 pm

Once you live in Texas I would be surprised to see if you could live anywhere else. It has got to be one of the best states (if not, the best).

So spring break starts this afternoon, I am assuming the deafening silence will continue through the break. I suppose no need to check the status checker.

Thoughts??

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:00 pm

I was very impressed with the ASD today. I'm excited to go to Tulane so that I can compare the two schools. U of H is a much better school than I had originally thought (so is the campus).

colemf

Postby colemf » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:11 pm

Did they say anything about when scholarships are going out?

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:34 pm

colemf wrote:Did they say anything about when scholarships are going out?

I left before the fin. aid part.

texlawtex

Postby texlawtex » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:18 am

Anybody else playing the waiting game, what's going on? How long have u been complete review etc? I'm in Houston right now and I hate not knowing ahh

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:13 am

texlawtex wrote:Anybody else playing the waiting game, what's going on? How long have u been complete review etc? I'm in Houston right now and I hate not knowing ahh

In review since 2/16 ......... submitted around New Year's. :x

raperez129

Postby raperez129 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:41 pm

texlawtex wrote:Anybody else playing the waiting game, what's going on? How long have u been complete review etc? I'm in Houston right now and I hate not knowing ahh

Waiting.....I may be waiting for a long time. I didn't submit my app until 3/2/10. :cry:

madmartigan

Postby madmartigan » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:20 pm

Anyone want to share thoughts/experiences from ASD?

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:25 pm

madmartigan wrote:Anyone want to share thoughts/experiences from ASD?

+1

UTL_plz

Postby UTL_plz » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:23 pm

For the most part ASD was great. They highlighted their three flagship programs: IP; Health Law; and Environmental, Energy, and Natural Resources. The Blakely Advocacy Institute was also given considerable attention, and seems to be a great experience to be a part of.

I thought the mock class was great. It was fun, thought provoking, and extremely entertaining to see the prof lay into the gunners - yes there was one or two gunners. Most of the other admitted students, current students, and faculty seemed really cool and friendly.

Scholarship info is supposed to be determined in another week or so Scott Palmer says, however he didn't directly say when they would start sending that info out. Financial Aid is supposed to be rolling out between April and May, so they emphasized get all your FASFA stuff turned in ASAP as it comes out on a rolling basis, first come first served.

The tour was also great. Two current students lead my group on what was supposed to be a set tour, but they definitely made time to add in a few extra stops, which was nice.

The atmosphere was probably the best part. Seemed very welcoming and collegial. There other huge selling point was the city of Houston. Huge legal market, arguably the energy capital of the world, also one of the best medical centers in the world. It places incredibly well in Houston too; the top students in a class place as well as or better than T10 schools. Although of course, T10 schools have the flexibility to place well in many different parts of the country.

While i do think they were embellishing some points, i don't think it went too far.

madmartigan

Postby madmartigan » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:25 pm

UTL_plz wrote:Scholarship info is supposed to be determined in another week or so Scott Palmer says, however he didn't directly say when they would start sending that info out. Financial Aid is supposed to be rolling out between April and May, so they emphasized get all your FASFA stuff turned in ASAP as it comes out on a rolling basis, first come first served.

Hmmm, so the deposit is due on April 15th, and they are supposed to hand out financial aid from April-May. That sure doesn't leave much room for contemplation.

UTL_plz

Postby UTL_plz » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:30 pm

madmartigan wrote:
UTL_plz wrote:Scholarship info is supposed to be determined in another week or so Scott Palmer says, however he didn't directly say when they would start sending that info out. Financial Aid is supposed to be rolling out between April and May, so they emphasized get all your FASFA stuff turned in ASAP as it comes out on a rolling basis, first come first served.

Hmmm, so the deposit is due on April 15th, and they are supposed to hand out financial aid from April-May. That sure doesn't leave much room for contemplation.

This is not regarding scholarship. Just loans. And from what i gathered, you will be able to finance through various loans the COA no matter what. However they only have so much need based loans to give out, and its done all on a rolling basis like i said earlier. I could be slightly mistaken here, so the best way to find out is to email the financial aid department at the law school, I think Laura Neal is in charge of it.

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:09 pm

That one girl-gunner that sat towards the middle back will be a force to be reckoned with.

madmartigan

Postby madmartigan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:31 am

So I was browsing through the LSN profiles of UH admitted students to see who got scholarships...

Looking at the last 3 cycles, it seems like a lot more $ was given out in 2006-2007 & 2007-2008 compared to 2008-2009 . Any idea why it seems like so little $ was given out last year compared to previous years? (Everything pre 2006-2007 seems dry as well.)

colemf

Postby colemf » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:33 am

madmartigan wrote:So I was browsing through the LSN profiles of UH admitted students to see who got scholarships...

Looking at the last 3 cycles, it seems like a lot more $ was given out in 2006-2007 & 2007-2008 compared to 2008-2009 . Any idea why it seems like so little $ was given out last year compared to previous years? (Everything pre 2006-2007 seems dry as well.)

Its called a depression.

madmartigan

Postby madmartigan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:43 am

colemf wrote:
madmartigan wrote:So I was browsing through the LSN profiles of UH admitted students to see who got scholarships...

Its called a depression.

Yeah, I considered that. It's just such a dramatic drop off in $, and I didn't notice the same decline with other schools. Plus, I thought their budget was just recently cut (not a year ago).

colemf

Postby colemf » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:21 am

Your right it was just recently cut but they were told by the Texas legislator to start preparing for it last year, as far as other schools, UH is really the only one affected in Texas, UT has its alumni to lean on and Baylor and SMU are private and thus are not affected by state budget cuts.

kalede

Postby kalede » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:29 pm

I'm going to go to the admitted student reception in Austin on the 5th for sure, and am contemplating driving to Houston for the preview thing on the 9th. Will I see any of you guys there too?

Josh the Goat

Postby Josh the Goat » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:35 pm

I'll be helping out at the ASD on April 9th during the morning registration process. I'll be around that day too if anyone wants to ask any questions that don't get answered during the other sessions.

colemf

Postby colemf » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:52 pm

Could you answer some of our questions now?

madmartigan

Postby madmartigan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:01 pm

colemf wrote:Could you answer some of our questions now?

Haha, I PM'ed him and asked him to answer some questions in the UH thread I just rejuvenated in the 'Discuss your School' section.

On another note, here's what an admission counselor old me today re scholly $, "we recently mailed this information out so you should be receiving that soon if you were awarded any scholarship offer. "

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”