In at University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jgrin

Bronze

Re: In at University of Houston

Post by jgrin » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:49 pm

Anyone have any idea as to when they are going to send out the next batch of decisions?

Zaraa

New

Post by Zaraa » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:29 pm

DonnyMost wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
DonnyMost wrote:
raperez129 wrote:
Pass. Like waiting in line for a heart disease.....
You might want to reconsider your school/location selection then... cause Houston ain't exactly health capitol of the world. :lol:
For real, huh? :D
It is a hell of a lot better than it used to be, but we have a terrible shortage of health clubs and recreational options and a buttload of fast food and chain restaurants... don't get me wrong, we also have *world class* original restaurants... but if you're not very diligent, you can get fat here... quick

I'm that weirdo who rides his bike everywhere in town (despite the constant threat of 45mph death) and buys and cooks food from the few local co-ops every week... but being in law school, especially where UH is located, can make it super hard to stay mentally upbeat and physically active.
That... is a really depressing picture. UofH is my #1 choice at the moment - but it looks like I'll continue to cook for myself!

I also went "in review" today - PT applicant.

k10370

New

Post by k10370 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:40 pm

I have lived in Houston for several years now. And although it is very true that there are plenty of greasy, fattening food choices here, you can get just as fat in any other city if you have no self control. There are also incredible grocery stores here with huuuuge produce sections, tons of original, authentic restaurant choices, and parks all over the place. I workout at a gym, regularly go to the park for jogs, and have seen plenty of opportunities to get involved with social sports, exercise classes, and boot camp style activities. If you are interested in a healthy lifestyle you have a lot of options, no worries.

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:45 pm

Zaraa wrote: That... is a really depressing picture. UofH is my #1 choice at the moment - but it looks like I'll continue to cook for myself!

I don't mean to scare people, I just wish someone had told me this when I came here for undergrad in 2001.

The problem isn't *lack* of stuff to do or healthy options (although per capita for these things, we suck compared to most cities), the problem is the sprawl makes it hard/inconvenient... especially if you want to live anywhere near the school.

The culture of this city just simply isn't conducive to a healthy, active lifestyle. And quite frankly, it bugs the piss out of me and is one of the main reasons I want to leave so bad for law school (even though U of H is one of the highest ranked schools I even applied to)

k10370

New

Post by k10370 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:56 pm

DonnyMost wrote:
Zaraa wrote: That... is a really depressing picture. UofH is my #1 choice at the moment - but it looks like I'll continue to cook for myself!

I don't mean to scare people, I just wish someone had told me this when I came here for undergrad in 2001.

The problem isn't *lack* of stuff to do or healthy options (although per capita for these things, we suck compared to most cities), the problem is the sprawl makes it hard/inconvenient... especially if you want to live anywhere near the school.

The culture of this city just simply isn't conducive to a healthy, active lifestyle. And quite frankly, it bugs the piss out of me and is one of the main reasons I want to leave so bad for law school (even though U of H is one of the highest ranked schools I even applied to)
The sprawl can be a bia-tch, choose where you live wisely. I live in the Heights right now and I LOVE it. However, I am also working and can afford it...that will most likely change when I start school in the fall.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:18 pm

Zaraa wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
DonnyMost wrote:
raperez129 wrote:
Pass. Like waiting in line for a heart disease.....
It is a hell of a lot better than it used to be, but we have a terrible shortage of health clubs and recreational options and a buttload of fast food and chain restaurants... don't get me wrong, we also have *world class* original restaurants... but if you're not very diligent, you can get fat here... quick

I'm that weirdo who rides his bike everywhere in town (despite the constant threat of 45mph death) and buys and cooks food from the few local co-ops every week... but being in law school, especially where UH is located, can make it super hard to stay mentally upbeat and physically active.
That... is a really depressing picture. UofH is my #1 choice at the moment - but it looks like I'll continue to cook for myself!

When was your app complete? I am also a PT applicant... I want to know so bad. What are you stats?

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:59 pm

When did you apply? I went complete on 2/15 for the PT program but haven't had anything change since.

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:31 pm

b.j. wrote:
When did you apply? I went complete on 2/15 for the PT program but haven't had anything change since.

I went complete on 2/5. Don't know when the OP went complete, but I am also applying to the PT program. What are your stats? 153/3.47 here - not sure that I have much of a chance, but LSP had me at a "consider"

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:37 pm

U of H is my top.
My file went complete on 3/2.
155/3.08
URM

Beleive it or not, this is my THIRD time applying to U of H (prior cycles 2004, 2007), and since this is my last shot, I went all out. I got better LORs this time, and for my other two apps, my LSAT was in the 140s. I applied to the PT program as well.

I am really hoping for this.......

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

akstrong

New

Post by akstrong » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:52 pm

I have been "complete" since 2/12 and as of today have still not gone under review, almost a month later.

Does applying later usually mean a longer wait for UH? I applied to another school the same day and my application recently went under review.

YEM

New

Post by YEM » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:05 pm

b.j. wrote:
"Under Review" since 2/18, Part Time. 163 / 3.2, Non-trad

My only guess is that they're putting off the PT decisions until they've got the day division mostly filled.

But yeah, UH is high on my list, and I'd like very much not to lose that seat deposit at TX Tech while I'm waiting to hear from Houston. ...so come on, adcomm...

atfarmer

New

Post by atfarmer » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:16 pm

I've been under review since 2/18. Starting to wonder when they're gonna make up their minds.

hjl47

New

Post by hjl47 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:19 pm

why are they slackin on the PT apps?!?! good luck to all, and hope my scores are enough to get in!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:24 pm

I withdrew, hope one of you guys gets my spot.

moe

New

Post by moe » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:44 pm

i've been in review since 1/5... ugh!

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:14 pm

If it helps any, when I did my PT app in 2007, I received my rejection letter via snail mail mid-March.

Sounds like they haven't reviewed any PT apps so for this cycle. :roll:

roecyris

New

Post by roecyris » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:46 pm

finally went into review today. was file complete around 1/27 I believe. fingers crossed!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:34 am

YEM wrote:
b.j. wrote:
"Under Review" since 2/18, Part Time. 163 / 3.2, Non-trad

My only guess is that they're putting off the PT decisions until they've got the day division mostly filled.

But yeah, UH is high on my list, and I'd like very much not to lose that seat deposit at TX Tech while I'm waiting to hear from Houston. ...so come on, adcomm...
Why would they do the PT decisions last? Would they offer some of those spots to FT applicants?

Perhaps your guess isn't so bad, considering that the PT due date is several months after the FT due date. But then, I thought that they made decisions on a rolling basis, and that being earlier was somewhat better, so I am not sure what the hell to think.

waverider

Bronze

Post by waverider » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:57 am

I'm a full time app and have been under review since mid Feb.

This is a slow process for everyone

texlawtex

New

Post by texlawtex » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:57 am

waverider wrote:I'm a full time app and have been under review since mid Feb.

This is a slow process for everyone

+1

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:59 am

Will I see anyone on Friday? Maybe a TLS meet up at the admitted students preview?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

UTL_plz

Bronze

Post by UTL_plz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:49 pm

Have you received the parking pass or any of the event materials yet?

FB567

New

Post by FB567 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:38 pm

I'll be there Friday. I haven't received any information yet.

HOPPER4213

New

Post by HOPPER4213 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:13 pm

Im a 161/3.7 guy and placed my application in at UH in October for the ED cycle. I have heard nothing back from these guys since, and am starting to get a little concerned. Noone with 161's has been denied at this point via LSN(well one guy), so there is hope, but I was pretty confident judging by there 119/121 acceptance rate of those applying with 161s last year.

Has anyone else been waiting since October for FT admissions?

rachel.almaraz

New

Post by rachel.almaraz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:34 pm

HOPPER4213 wrote:Im a 161/3.7 guy and placed my application in at UH in October for the ED cycle. I have heard nothing back from these guys since, and am starting to get a little concerned. Noone with 161's has been denied at this point via LSN(well one guy), so there is hope, but I was pretty confident judging by there 119/121 acceptance rate of those applying with 161s last year.

Has anyone else been waiting since October for FT admissions?
Yes!! I applied at the end of October and have been "in review" since the beginning of December. Don't know what to think...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”