In at University of Houston

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hotdog123

Re: In at University of Houston

Postby hotdog123 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:21 pm

Went under review 2/26

Went complete 2/04

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:32 pm

Will be writing a short LOCI e-mail this weekend... highlighting my new LSAT score :).

ExcitedBlutterance

Postby ExcitedBlutterance » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:17 pm

Admitted 2/26 via status checker

waverider

Postby waverider » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:05 am

ExcitedBlutterance wrote:Admitted 2/26 via status checker

Congrats! You must of saved your 100th post for special news like that.

hare108

Postby hare108 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:50 pm

hjl47 wrote:file UR 2/26 160/3.36 i hope my softs (CPA, pricewaterhousecoopers, 3 yrs work exp) push me over the threshold. I dont wanna get WL'ed...... :|

hey hjl47....i work at pwc too! Just got excited when I saw someone else from the firm applying to law school. Good luck! Oh and I hope I don't get waitlisted either.

jgrin

Postby jgrin » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:20 pm

I applied to the PT program with a 3.47/153. My file has been complete since 2/5 and nothing has changed. Any other people apply PT? What do you guys think my chances are

roofles

Postby roofles » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:31 pm

jgrin wrote:I applied to the PT program with a 3.47/153. My file has been complete since 2/5 and nothing has changed. Any other people apply PT? What do you guys think my chances are

Houston's PT stats I've seen on LSN are all over the place so I have no idea of anyone's chances. File complete since 2/15.
Last edited by roofles on Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jgrin

Postby jgrin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:58 pm

jgrin wrote:I applied to the PT program with a 3.47/153. My file has been complete since 2/5 and nothing has changed. Any other people apply PT? What do you guys think my chances are

Any more opinions?

07ggfa5

Postby 07ggfa5 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:04 pm

In via snail mail last week. Maybe mentioning in my PS that I was born in TX helped.

blueberrymuffin

Postby blueberrymuffin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:46 pm

Did tuition just go up a lot??

http://www.law.uh.edu/admissions/tuition.html
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/met ... 69559.html

Edit: I am behind the times (was too lazy to look past the last page of posts). But still, wow.

HBK

Postby HBK » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:52 pm

blueberrymuffin wrote:Did tuition just go up a lot??

Edit: I am behind the times (was too lazy to look past the last page of posts). But still, wow.

It's as if they don't really want any competitive students. A decent scholarship from SMU, and you're drawing even with UH's new tuition.

0 and 16

Postby 0 and 16 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:01 pm

HBK wrote:

It's as if they don't really want any competitive students. A decent scholarship from SMU, and you're drawing even with UH's new tuition.

Although, I wonder if the tuition increase is, in part, to offer larger scholarships to the more competitive applicants. We probably won't know this for at least another few weeks.

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:38 pm

HBK wrote:

More like UH has a state-school stranglehold on the nuts of the UT law rejects here :(

RyShermanJ

Postby RyShermanJ » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:47 pm

If I applied in November do you think it would better news that I have yet to hear anything or better news at this point to be waitlisted?

hjl47

Postby hjl47 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:12 pm

hare108 wrote:
hjl47 wrote:file UR 2/26 160/3.36 i hope my softs (CPA, pricewaterhousecoopers, 3 yrs work exp) push me over the threshold. I dont wanna get WL'ed...... :|

hey hjl47....i work at pwc too! Just got excited when I saw someone else from the firm applying to law school. Good luck! Oh and I hope I don't get waitlisted either.

mind sharing stats? just want to see what im up against!! haha also for those asking about PT apps, I applied to the PT program, if that helps.

hjl47

Postby hjl47 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:14 pm

jgrin wrote:

Any more opinions?

my file was complete 1/10 and in review 2/26. be patient, from what it seems like on this board, UH is a bit behind.

RyShermanJ

Postby RyShermanJ » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:22 pm

0 and 16 wrote:
HBK wrote:

Although, I wonder if the tuition increase is, in part, to offer larger scholarships to the more competitive applicants. We probably won't know this for at least another few weeks.

True but I really doubt that you will see much of an increase of scholarships this year. I think it is very logical to believe that you will see more scholarships in the future and that even a large percentage of this increase will be used on scholarships. But if that was their plan for this year they would have announced the extra scholarship money at the same time as the increase in tuition. The people they would want to attract with the scholarship money are the same people that have already withdrawn. Also they want to attract better applicants to apply which it is too late in the calendar for that to happen. I think they are probably going to evaluate this class without an increase of scholarships to the previous years and give out scholarships accordingly the following years. Schools don't just give out scholarships to be nice.

Josh the Goat

Postby Josh the Goat » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:33 pm

My understanding is that the increase in tuition was primarily because the Texas Legislature cut funding for universities this year and UH wants to try to be competitive with SMU and UT.

RyShermanJ

Postby RyShermanJ » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:49 pm

Josh the Goat wrote:My understanding is that the increase in tuition was primarily because the Texas Legislature cut funding for universities this year and UH wants to try to be competitive with SMU and UT.

I guess if that was the case, I would figure every state school would be raising their tuition as drastically as U of H is doing for law school.

Josh the Goat

Postby Josh the Goat » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:02 pm

RyShermanJ wrote:I guess if that was the case, I would figure every state school would be raising their tuition as drastically as U of H is doing for law school.

One of the 2L's during the Dean's presentation talked about how UT and Tech would be less affected because their schools have a much bigger presence in Austin when the legislature makes the decision on school funding. She used to work as a legislative aide and she said each year they'd bring in buses full of students to get their representatives to keep Tech and UT funding high, but UH doesn't make that big of an effort. She's actually quoted in the Houston Chronicle article. But the fact still remains, big tuition increases suck.

Zojirushi

Postby Zojirushi » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:25 am

Josh the Goat wrote:
RyShermanJ wrote:I guess if that was the case, I would figure every state school would be raising their tuition as drastically as U of H is doing for law school.

One of the 2L's during the Dean's presentation talked about how UT and Tech would be less affected because their schools have a much bigger presence in Austin when the legislature makes the decision on school funding. She used to work as a legislative aide and she said each year they'd bring in buses full of students to get their representatives to keep Tech and UT funding high, but UH doesn't make that big of an effort. She's actually quoted in the Houston Chronicle article. But the fact still remains, big tuition increases suck.

If that is the case, it is a rather poor showing on UH's behalf. Renting buses, finding a few dozen politically motivated students, and paying for gas to increase the school's funding seems like a no brainer to me.

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:02 am

Zojirushi wrote:
Josh the Goat wrote:

If that is the case, it is a rather poor showing on UH's behalf. Renting buses, finding a few dozen politically motivated students, and paying for gas to increase the school's funding seems like a no brainer to me.

We've been doing that for a few years now.

Problem is that the Texas legislature is the most ineffectual, insular state government on the planet.

Beyond that, they only meet for a maximum of 140 days every two years... so it's kinda like trying to shove a 10lbs sack of potatoes into a 5lbs bag.

texlawtex

Postby texlawtex » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:07 pm

Just ready for a decision....

miami..

Postby miami.. » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:12 pm

anyone hear any scholarship info from them yet?

colemf

Postby colemf » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:31 pm

miami.. wrote:anyone hear any scholarship info from them yet?

I'm very interested in this to, anyone heard anything?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”