In at University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JPJ

New

Re: In at University of Houston

Post by JPJ » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:38 pm

Same here! Applied in late October, in review since the beginning of December...

utswdukie80

New

Post by utswdukie80 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:41 pm

Zojirushi wrote:Will I see anyone on Friday? Maybe a TLS meet up at the admitted students preview?
Can you guys that are going leave some feedback on here afterward? I'm up in Dallas and won't be able to make it due to work. Thanks!

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:12 pm

UH is really letting me down. It was my first choice at the begining of the cycle (I want to practice in Houston) but now I don't even know if they are in my top 3. They seem to be overwhelmed and haven't been at all helpful when I've called/emailed.

I get that they have more applicants this year but we are about to make a huge investment of time and money and hey aret inspiring a lot of confidence.

Hopefully I'm wrong and they will surprise me

k10370

New

Post by k10370 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:30 pm

HOPPER4213 wrote:Im a 161/3.7 guy and placed my application in at UH in October for the ED cycle. I have heard nothing back from these guys since, and am starting to get a little concerned. Noone with 161's has been denied at this point via LSN(well one guy), so there is hope, but I was pretty confident judging by there 119/121 acceptance rate of those applying with 161s last year.

Has anyone else been waiting since October for FT admissions?
I think your chances of admission are very good. I got in with a 161/3.4. I also applied in October for ED and I got a response about a month ago. If I were you I would call them because when I emailed them they said that they expected all EDs to be out by end of February...which has come and gone. What does your status checker say?

HOPPER4213

New

Post by HOPPER4213 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:42 pm

Status checker says file under review. It has stated this since December, but it changed to the date of 2/15 back in February. They stated to me that the end of February was the time frame they "hoped" to have them all finalized, so there was a bit of a gray area.

Hope its not a negative thing, and they just havent gotten to my application in the February review period.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HOPPER4213

New

Post by HOPPER4213 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:45 pm

Rachel, good to know that there are others in the same boat.
If you dont mind me asking, what are your numbers as far as LSAT and GPA?

k10370

New

Post by k10370 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:53 pm

HOPPER4213 wrote:Status checker says file under review. It has stated this since December, but it changed to the date of 2/15 back in February. They stated to me that the end of February was the time frame they "hoped" to have them all finalized, so there was a bit of a gray area.

Hope its not a negative thing, and they just havent gotten to my application in the February review period.
I think I would still call or email if I was you. But then again, I'm the impatient type.

Pippa

New

Post by Pippa » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Withdrew today so hopefully that frees up some space for you guys!

0 and 16

New

Post by 0 and 16 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:01 pm

I've called a couple times in the last month. They just reiterated that they were behind and that they appreciated the patience. No time frame was given. Based on last year, borderline candidates were not given answers until late March-April. Although I am frustrated by the amount of time I have had to wait for a decision, the consequences of the wait include missing admitted students days and also, having to pay a deposit at another school as a back-up plan. I'm not really sure if there is some strategy to wait until the last second for borderline candidates, but for me, it has backfired.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HOPPER4213

New

Post by HOPPER4213 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:08 pm

Appreciate the advice, but I think Ill wait it out for another week or so. Seems many others are in my position, so nothing out of the ordinary at this point for the 2010 cycle. Ill continue to check my status online vigilantly, and keep my fingers crossed that acceptance is on the way.

I already got dinged last week by UT, so UH acceptance this week would be clutch.

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:49 pm

I'm attending the ASD on Friday. Hope to see some of y'all there.

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:25 pm

I received my itinerary for tomorrow's event yesterday evening. I think I am going to drive in from Austin in the morning and miss the mock class. I have been to a real class at UH before and do not get off work until 11pm tonight. Plus, I can hit up the kolache shops on the way. :mrgreen: If anyone wants to meet up Friday night, I will be hanging out with some UH grads. Message me. Cheers.

kalede

Bronze

Post by kalede » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:01 pm

In today via status checker! They received my app on 2/1 and the decision was mailed today.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:21 pm

kalede wrote:In today via status checker! They received my app on 2/1 and the decision was mailed today.
Congrats!

This is evidence of life in the UH admissions office.

PS- I still chuckle every time I see your avatar.

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:36 pm

kalede wrote:In today via status checker! They received my app on 2/1 and the decision was mailed today.
Congrats!

I know a few people in school up in Gtown... cool folks :)

kalede

Bronze

Post by kalede » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:57 pm

Thanks! :)

clairecate

New

Post by clairecate » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:10 pm

Accepted today via status checker, so there is hope!

Application received 2/1, complete 2/9, under review 2/18, decision rendered 3/10 (but today is the 11th? eh whatever).

My top choice is SMU, but my application is just complete still. I will probably be withdrawing from UH in the next couple of days to free up some space for those that are still waiting!

Stats are 162/3.5 if you're wondering.

GOOD LUCK TO Y'ALL!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

egb23

New

Post by egb23 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:50 pm

Also in via status checker. I don't remember all of my dates but I got an "application received" email 2/10.

Hope to get scholarship info soon.

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:03 am

Did all those who have heard something apply PT or FT? I applied PT, but the priority date for that was much later than for FT, so perhaps they just haven't gotten around to the PT candidates.

roofles

New

Post by roofles » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:06 am

PT app here...

Current Status: File Complete
Current Status Date: 2/15/2010

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:14 am

roofles wrote:PT app here...

I applied to most of my schools around that time, and only one has given me a response. It's not clear that many of them have really begun to look at my application, so it could very well be a long couple of weeks.

On another note, why is it so goddamn hard for some schools to have a status checker? What exactly do Pittsburgh and St. John's, among others, feel they are gaining by keeping me so extensively in the dark?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kalede

Bronze

Post by kalede » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:14 am

I applied FT.

Oh, and are some of you going to the preview in April? I can't make it to the one tomorrow, but I think I'll try for the one next month.

roofles

New

Post by roofles » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:36 am

b.j. wrote:
roofles wrote:PT app here...

I applied to most of my schools around that time, and only one has given me a response. It's not clear that many of them have really begun to look at my application, so it could very well be a long couple of weeks.

On another note, why is it so goddamn hard for some schools to have a status checker? What exactly do Pittsburgh and St. John's, among others, feel they are gaining by keeping me so extensively in the dark?
Also, on another note, why does Houston list Virginia as VI in the online status check? It makes me worry that they think that I am applying from the Virgin Islands.

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:46 am

roofles wrote:
Also, on another note, why does Houston list Virginia as VI in the online status check? It makes me worry that they think that I am applying from the Virgin Islands.
We don't worry about other states in Texas.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:58 am

Zojirushi wrote:
roofles wrote:
We don't worry about other states in Texas.
+1 haha well played

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”