In at University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
madmartigan

Bronze

Re: In at University of Houston

Post by madmartigan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:33 am

Josh the Goat wrote:
madmartigan wrote:I wonder if / how much of a bump UH would get if it axed the PT program.
The PT program is a big part of the school in the eyes of the Dean. It's not going anywhere.

Don't worry so much about small movement up or down in the rankings. The only people that still pay attention are 0L's, Profs, and alumni of the T14. Your job prospects won't change much if UH goes from 56 to 60. It'll probably stay in the same area for the most part.
Oh, dropping a few rankings doesn't bother me, unless Baylor passes us up (and that's just a pride thing.) I know it doesn't affect job prospects.

I don't think they should get rid of the PT program. It's great for people who need to work, have family needs, etc. But it probably would change the jobs #s for the FT students.

I just remember all the chatter about GWU (i think that's who it was) taking a hit in rankings because of their PT program. I never figured out the reason why tho.

BleedBlue83

New

Post by BleedBlue83 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:34 am

jgrin wrote:
rdcws000 wrote:
BleedBlue83 wrote:In a city as big as Houston, I don't see them ever justifying getting rid of the PT program.
I think it would really be a shame if they did, which I'm sure they won't.

The two programs admission criteria are tracked separately, I'm sure for that very reason. The PT program should be a plus if anything, as it make the overall program more accessible to the public. In what way does the PT program detract from the overall program, since admission criteria are tracked separately?

I've been real pumped about today, deposit day, thinking maybe we'll see an increase in activity... I guess I've got to allow time for the checks to flow in and be accounted for. Maybe next week we'll see some activity?
I think next week will be a big week for decisions. They have to fill in the spots that accepted applicants rejected.
My thoughts as well - should be judgment day for a lot of us by the end of next week.

It'll take them all day today and tomorrow to process seat deposits and rehash their numbers.

J-tow10

Bronze

Post by J-tow10 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:34 am

Withdrew yesterday. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

madmartigan

Bronze

Post by madmartigan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:36 am

Zojirushi wrote:Can anyone pull up their financial aid in peoplesoft yet? I can go to the screen, but there is nothing to view.
I can't. I asked the admissions office when FAID would be awarded. They said they would start looking at FAID applications April 1st, and have it all dispersed by May 1st.... So I would set your expectations for about mid-late May.

springfever

New

Post by springfever » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:24 pm

UH does not give out much scholly money. This is a tough year. Houston Chronicle had an article a few weeks ago regarding cutbacks for UH staff and teachers: Off one day a week without pay! (it did not mention Law, but UHLC is part of the university). The new ranking hurts. That first digit: from 5 to 6, is a pyschological milestone. Law frims are going to notice. You may get into a top 250 firm, but not on the partner track!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BleedBlue83

New

Post by BleedBlue83 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:27 pm

springfever wrote:UH does not give out much scholly money. This is a tough year. Houston Chronicle had an article a few weeks ago regarding cutbacks for UH staff and teachers: Off one day a week without pay! (it did not mention Law, but UHLC is part of the university). The new ranking hurts. That first digit: from 5 to 6, is a pyschological milestone. Law frims are going to notice. You may get into a top 250 firm, but not on the partner track!
Doom 'n' gloom, the sky is falling!

That piece of paper only opens doors. Once you walk through, it's what you do on the other side that adds up to a successful career.

lawschool910

New

Post by lawschool910 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:30 pm

springfever wrote:UH does not give out much scholly money. This is a tough year. Houston Chronicle had an article a few weeks ago regarding cutbacks for UH staff and teachers: Off one day a week without pay! (it did not mention Law, but UHLC is part of the university). The new ranking hurts. That first digit: from 5 to 6, is a pyschological milestone. Law frims are going to notice. You may get into a top 250 firm, but not on the partner track!

I put my seat deposit down, but if I don't get any money quick I'm out the door.

texag08

New

Post by texag08 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:34 pm

Okay so here is my deal.

161, 3.41, undergrad at Texas A&M.

Applied Full time and was waitlisted.

Changed my status to part time only and now have yet to hear back (i was waitlisted 2 weeks ago).

Anyone know when we should hear something back and how i would fare?

The reason i am applying part time is because i am an officer in the army reserves and have a wife and kid.

Thanks!!

springfever

New

Post by springfever » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:38 pm

Baylor at 65 is closing the gap. They give out $$$$$. Right now Baylor is a cheaper play.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

madmartigan

Bronze

Post by madmartigan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:52 pm

springfever wrote:Baylor at 65 is closing the gap. They give out $$$$$. Right now Baylor is a cheaper play.
Are you hoping to scare people into withdrawing or just flaming with an alt account? Either way, poor show.

springfever

New

Post by springfever » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:00 pm

Easy!!! I am simply stating my own dilemma.

madmartigan

Bronze

Post by madmartigan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:21 pm

springfever wrote:Easy!!! I am simply stating my own dilemma.
hmmm, moving 1 spot in rankings is not even close to significant. You need an objective measurement between Baylor and UH? See NLJ250 report. UH places 18% of its class in top250 firms. Baylor didn't even even make the cut of recognition.

For TX, UT owns everywhere. SMU dominates Dallas, UH dominates Houston.

Unless there is a huge disparity in cost of attendance AND you are not concerned about working at a mid/big law firm (which will mean less $) AND you don't want to work in Dallas/Houston/Austin, then it might make sense to go outside of UT/SMU/UH. Of course some Baylor grads will be exceptions, but there will be very few exceptions (top 5% or those with connections).

moonmaster3

New

Post by moonmaster3 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:31 pm

It seems unreasonable to pay full price at UH under the assumption that you'll be in the top 20% of the class.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

madmartigan

Bronze

Post by madmartigan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:40 pm

moonmaster3 wrote:It seems unreasonable to pay full price at UH under the assumption that you'll be in the top 20% of the class.
1) UH is cheap, even with the tuition hike.
2) I never said anything about assuming one would be top 20%. Yes, somewhere between 20%-25% of the UH graduating class gets fed clerkships or top250 firms. But that doesn't mean the rest of the class is screwed. The NLJ #s are indicative that much more of the UH graduating class will be better off than the graduating class of Baylor or anyone other TX School (save UT & SMU). That is the point of significance I was inferring.

moonmaster3

New

Post by moonmaster3 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:43 pm

80K in loans excluding COL/other fees/books is not cheap. Take some time to look at horror stories involving the devil(Sallie Mae). I'm just trying to look at this objectively, especially ITE where an 80K loan can easily skyrocket. I'm still undecided as to what to do.

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:47 pm

I sent an e-mail off to the office of admissions requesting a merit-based scholarship. I'll let you guys know what they say.

moonmaster3

New

Post by moonmaster3 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:48 pm

Bustang wrote:I sent an e-mail off to the office of admissions requesting a merit-based scholarship. I'll let you guys know what they say.
Hopefully something good..tuition hike AND no additional scholarships will take a toll, rankings wise at least.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:51 pm

To me, it seems more unreasonable to attend SMU at cost than U of H at cost. Despite the 5%~ difference in NLJ250 ratings, and "lay prestige", SMU's employment numbers and likely quality of education are on par with U of H.

springfever

New

Post by springfever » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:56 pm

Big law is not hiring! This past year they hired associates paid them 1/2 of the promised salary and told them to come back in a year. THe WSJ recently had an article about the different tracks that associates are put in ie. partner with training or workhorse.

Since the disparity between UH (with an increase and no $ ) and Baylor with $ IS HUGE!

Regardless I put money down on each. I hope to hear from UH. But......

Thanks for the feedback.

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:12 pm

springfever wrote:Big law is not hiring! This past year they hired associates paid them 1/2 of the promised salary and told them to come back in a year. THe WSJ recently had an article about the different tracks that associates are put in ie. partner with training or workhorse.

Since the disparity between UH (with an increase and no $ ) and Baylor with $ IS HUGE!

Thanks for the feedback.
Sure, "Biglaw" is hiring less, but I'd rather take my chances than have no chance at all. With Baylor being located in Waco, your job opportunities are literally thousands less than U of H/SMU. If you strike out at Biglaw in Houston, you still have a plethora of firms to mass mail to etc etc. Baylor doesn't have that kind of option.

springfever

New

Post by springfever » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:17 pm

You may be right. Sadly, SMU is not an option for me. (denied) I've got in the 90's from Baylor. Nada from UH.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

moonmaster3

New

Post by moonmaster3 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:19 pm

Bustang wrote:
springfever wrote:Big law is not hiring! This past year they hired associates paid them 1/2 of the promised salary and told them to come back in a year. THe WSJ recently had an article about the different tracks that associates are put in ie. partner with training or workhorse.

Thanks for the feedback.
Sure, "Biglaw" is hiring less, but I'd rather take my chances than have no chance at all. With Baylor being located in Waco, your job opportunities are literally thousands less than U of H/SMU. If you strike out at Biglaw in Houston, you still have a plethora of firms to mass mail to etc etc. Baylor doesn't have that kind of option.
Why would you not be able to mass mail your resume if you're located in Waco? And how are opportunities thousands less?

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:26 pm

moonmaster3 wrote:
Bustang wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.
Why would you not be able to mass mail your resume if you're located in Waco? And how are opportunities thousands less?
Sure, you can mass-mail at baylor, but you don't get the bonus of having your school located in the city that the firms are. What will distinguish a Baylor resume from the U of H resumes on a Houston firm's desk aside from interests in diversifying their attorney pool? Furthermore, the clinics U of H provides put you right into the heart of the legal community in Houston which can in turn provide you with a job after graduation. A opportunity not provided at Baylor, unless you do a lot of leg work. There's a reason why the only area with a prominent amount of attorney's from Baylor is the Waco DA office.

0 and 16

New

Post by 0 and 16 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:35 pm

Bustang wrote:
moonmaster3 wrote:
Bustang wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.
Sure, you can mass-mail at baylor, but you don't get the bonus of having your school located in the city that the firms are. What will distinguish a Baylor resume from the U of H resumes on a Houston firm's desk aside from interests in diversifying their attorney pool? Furthermore, the clinics U of H provides put you right into the heart of the legal community in Houston which can in turn provide you with a job after graduation. A opportunity not provided at Baylor, unless you do a lot of leg work. There's a reason why the only area with a prominent amount of attorney's from Baylor is the Waco DA office.
I agree. UH is in a unique position being the best law school actually located in the city. I think the ability to network is often glossed over by people who focus on rankings, median salary, etc.

springfever

New

Post by springfever » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:46 pm

The UH library is named after a houston lawyer who made a huge killing with silicone implant cases not big law. A law degree opens the door to endless possibilities.

The question is how much do I pay to open door!!!

***Discalimer: Please do not make any decisions based on my musings.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”