In at University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
perin

New

Re: In at University of Houston

Post by perin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:48 pm

I'm so depressed about the scholarship situation. I had really hoped to receive some amount, but the chances look slim. Why oh why didn't I go last year?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:48 am

A'nold wrote:Lol ^^^^^ I used to be like you dude, but I'm telling you, if UH moves up to #48 or so instead of #55 or if it drops to #65 it will mean nothing. UH owns the Houston market and the only other real competition comes from a little sprinkling of the t14 and UT, whose graduates spread out over the state. UH's ranking can do whatever it wants and I'll be just fine going there.
TITCR

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:49 am

For those who have been waitlisted, does your online app status still say "decision rendered" ?

kellbrite

New

Post by kellbrite » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:54 am

G_Girl4098 wrote:For those who have been waitlisted, does your online app status still say "decision rendered" ?
Yes, but in Mailings it says Decision Letter Mailed.

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:40 am

kellbrite wrote:
G_Girl4098 wrote:For those who have been waitlisted, does your online app status still say "decision rendered" ?
Yes, but in Mailings it says Decision Letter Mailed.
Hmm... I wonder if it said that for rejected people too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawschoolchick73

New

Post by lawschoolchick73 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:53 am

I got into UH and that's all mine said too. "Decision Rendered" and "Letter Mailed." They did email me though. But I think the email came a little later than the decision rendered.

lawschoolchick73

New

Post by lawschoolchick73 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:01 am

Oh, and going back to what people said before- I think the rankings will even out and probably stay the same (although hopefullly rise)!!. People have said they believe the admissions process was so terrible this year that they are losing a lot of students that would otherwise go there. However, I think this is also cancelled out by UH being much cheaper than most other schools. Even me, for example, got really mad at their ridiculous admissions process, but at the end of the day, it is the best option due to finances. I feel like a lot of other people are getting mad, but will go anyways.

Also, I have heard that they have been flooded with apps this year (over 4000- usually have around 3400), which means that although their process sucks, they have a larger selection of good apps, so even if some decide not to go because of the admissions process, another one will take up the spot. At the end of the day, they can find ~240 good students out of 4000 that will attend. I have also been told that they are trying to increase standards and possiblly even make the class a little smaller to get those standards. However, there seems to be a trend in schools saying that- Tulane told me that too.

All in all, as much as angry people want them to fall in the ranks (I was cursing this upon them unti la week ago when I got in), it is still the most economical choice with very good job prospects coming out. I think at the end of the day this will trump ppl getting mad at the admissions office.

memeME

New

Post by memeME » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:17 am

WAAAYYYY too quiet when you are still waiting..... :(

ChrisCiolko

New

Post by ChrisCiolko » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:06 pm

The whole lack of scholarships is really ridiculous though. I'm pretty sure they offered most of their money to people who probably won't attend (168-170s) but applied to U of H as a backup and to test the scholly market. I went to the admitted students/alumni mixer in Austin and spoke to a person from U of H, asking about whether any more scholarships will be awarded, and she confirmed what I had been told over the phone, that "if you haven't received an sholarship offer by 4/1, you will likely not be receiving one at all" She added that the speed with which candidates who had been offered sholarships either accepted or declined also affected whether that sholarship $ would be redistributed (which is total BS, IMO, they are just trying to save that $) I'm trying to play hardball by not paying my seat deposit yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll end up going to U of H in the Fall with or without the $.

And as far as rising/falling in the rankings, the Dean (who was at the Admiteed Students thing) said he fully expected the ranking to be on the rise, due to greater student quality as well as new faculty, but I guess its his job to say/think that.

EDIT: I had no issues with the Admissions Office, they were fairly quick with my decision. Also, does anyone know whether the total schloarships awarded by U of H is public info? Like, can we find out if they gave out any money at all? Because there's only one person on LSN self reprting a $15K scholly, and aone person who on this forum who said they got a scholarship offer last week.
Last edited by ChrisCiolko on Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cachua

New

Post by cachua » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:11 pm

For me at least, the scholarship money correlates with endowment a school has. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the idea that UH doesn't have any money to hand out to their admits. The school receives money from the state also, and if UT has money to hand out to their students, I'm not sure wtf is up with UH.

It sucks that the school is so great but the admissions department is a bunch of total shitheads.

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:29 pm

No one has gotten any money from them at all it sounds like. From TLS/LSN (self selecting group, but still). I applied end of Jan/begin of Feb and just got an acceptance end of March; my acceptance is conditional on sending a few documents they needed, so I haven't even gotten a real acceptance packet yet. With my numbers I'm kind of shocked I don't get anything >.>

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:43 pm

BigAristotle wrote:No one has gotten any money from them at all it sounds like. From TLS/LSN (self selecting group, but still). I applied end of Jan/begin of Feb and just got an acceptance end of March; my acceptance is conditional on sending a few documents they needed, so I haven't even gotten a real acceptance packet yet. With my numbers I'm kind of shocked I don't get anything >.>
If you don't mind me asking, what docs are they wanting from you?

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:11 pm

Documents concerning an addendum; an official letter from a school, official, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PTask

New

Post by PTask » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:58 pm

I just went decision rendered today....

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:02 pm

PTask wrote:I just went decision rendered today....
G'luck!

mandingo

New

Post by mandingo » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:41 pm

PTask wrote:I just went decision rendered today....
Me too.... I hope this means good news... sighs

Mitchske

New

Post by Mitchske » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:43 pm

I told Houston to screw off and withdrew my application.

Good luck to those of you who are waiting to hear.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wildcats12

New

Post by wildcats12 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:03 pm

got rejected...damn you houston...

supermanrv

New

Post by supermanrv » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:15 pm

letter or email?

wildcats12

New

Post by wildcats12 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:35 pm

supermanrv wrote:letter or email?
letter...status went to decision sent last week

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:58 pm

Went decision rendered 3/27, says my letter was just sent today (4/02).
It took them almost a week to send my letter? What does that mean?

Ugh, I just want to know!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wildcats12

New

Post by wildcats12 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:03 pm

whats ur #'s?

joonix

New

Post by joonix » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:26 pm

I find all the complaints about lack of scholarship pretty funny. You all know that tuition at UH is only $18k to begin with, right? Would you rather they set tuition at $38k/yr, offer half the class $20k scholarships with a requirement that they stay in the top 1/3 to renew it (oh and probably stuff all the scholarship students in the same section)? This is what many schools do.

riburn3

New

Post by riburn3 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:53 pm

joonix wrote:I find all the complaints about lack of scholarship pretty funny. You all know that tuition at UH is only $18k to begin with, right? Would you rather they set tuition at $38k/yr, offer half the class $20k scholarships with a requirement that they stay in the top 1/3 to renew it (oh and probably stuff all the scholarship students in the same section)? This is what many schools do.

This. People keep whining about the lack of scholarships but UH is probably the cheapest school in the top 100 for people applying out of state. It's also the best deal in state for Texas residents in terms of cost with the exception of TTU (which is T3). Keep in mind it's also a public school that is only in one part of the state, so it isn't going to carry an endowment like the UT system which is everywhere and has been around longer. But again, their low cost for admission makes up for the lack of scholarships.

lawschoolchick73

New

Post by lawschoolchick73 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:56 pm

I have decided to attend UH in the fall for sure! I agree that it is still the best bargain and is in a great legal market with a lot of opportunities!! Hope to see some of you in the fall!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”