In at University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ty Webb

Silver

Re: In at University of Houston

Post by Ty Webb » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:40 pm

That works for me. I'm in Houston about a week before orientation starts. Getting set up in my house, going to a couple Astros games, enjoying the bars before the grind begins. So I'm down for doing it then.

If anyone else here wants to partake in the fun, holler. Golf or happy hour fun, that is.

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:48 am

I'd be interested in some happy hour action. I'll also be attending the Astros game.

rulagi

New

Post by rulagi » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:06 pm

Just noticed my schedule is up on peoplesoft. Anyone else?

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:09 pm

rulagi wrote:Just noticed my schedule is up on peoplesoft. Anyone else?
Me too. I'm in Section C.

rulagi

New

Post by rulagi » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:41 pm

Bustang wrote:

I'm section C also.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FB567

New

Post by FB567 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:02 pm

Section A

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:13 pm

rulagi wrote:
Bustang wrote:

I'm section C also.
Very cool! Shoot me a PM with your info(for FB) so I know at least one familiar face at orientation

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:03 am

Section A.

Schedule looks friendly enough, I guess.

Also which parking pass are you guys getting?

el jefe

New

Post by el jefe » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:16 pm

Section A as well. Just received my orientation packet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tx1987

Bronze

Post by tx1987 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:21 pm

I just received mine as well. I'm in Section B. But I'm confused as to why I received an "Enrollment Preferences Survey" if they've already scheduled our classes. Is this just for future reference for them? It's not like they're going to change our schedule based on these answers, right?

el jefe

New

Post by el jefe » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:40 pm

Ty Webb wrote:Also which parking pass are you guys getting?

Economy plus looks alright. I'm probably getting that one. :? probably.

el jefe

New

Post by el jefe » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:44 pm

tx1987 wrote:I just received mine as well. I'm in Section B. But I'm confused as to why I received an "Enrollment Preferences Survey" if they've already scheduled our classes. Is this just for future reference for them? It's not like they're going to change our schedule based on these answers, right?
I am assuming it's just like you said, only for future reference. Either ways I'm not chancing it by filling it out. 8)

Josh the Goat

New

Post by Josh the Goat » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:56 pm

el jefe wrote:Economy plus looks alright. I'm probably getting that one. :? probably.
Do not do this if you are full time. Parking is the worst thing about UH. If you have day classes, you'll want to park before 10:00 AM (probably before 9:00 AM the first few weeks), or after 4:00 PM. Anything in between those hours and you'll have to walk at least 10 minutes to get to the law center. You need to buy a student commuter permit if you are full time. When you've got a backpack full of law books, 100 degree heat, and 90% humidity, you'll hate your life, and your classmates will not be pleased with your smell.

If you're part time, you may be alright with the economy plus, because you can park in all student lots after 5:00 pm. But you'll get ticketed if you need to park there early one day for some reason, so you'll have to buy a one day pass for a few bucks.

If you want to risk it, you can always upgrade later and pay the difference, or also downgrade later. I'd really really recommend you sink the cost and buy the student commuter plan if you don't live on campus.

http://www.uh.edu/pts/parkstupermits.htm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

el jefe

New

Post by el jefe » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:08 pm

Josh the Goat wrote:
el jefe wrote:Economy plus looks alright. I'm probably getting that one. :? probably.
Do not do this if you are full time. Parking is the worst thing about UH. If you have day classes, you'll want to park before 10:00 AM (probably before 9:00 AM the first few weeks), or after 4:00 PM. Anything in between those hours and you'll have to walk at least 10 minutes to get to the law center. You need to buy a student commuter permit if you are full time. When you've got a backpack full of law books, 100 degree heat, and 90% humidity, you'll hate your life, and your classmates will not be pleased with your smell.

If you're part time, you may be alright with the economy plus, because you can park in all student lots after 5:00 pm. But you'll get ticketed if you need to park there early one day for some reason, so you'll have to buy a one day pass for a few bucks.

If you want to risk it, you can always upgrade later and pay the difference, or also downgrade later. I'd really really recommend you sink the cost and buy the student commuter plan if you don't live on campus.

Thanks for the advice, i will most likely get that one then. Yea I'm a full-time student and I already sweat excessively as it is regardless of the heat. The last thing I need is to be a distraction in class because of my odor :lol:

tx1987

Bronze

Post by tx1987 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:51 am

Josh the Goat wrote:

Do they run out of student commuter permits quickly?

Duragon

New

Post by Duragon » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:51 pm

Josh (or anyone else),

What are your thoughts on the garage parking permit? A UH cop told me the student parking spots near the law school tend to fill up quickly, whereas the garage spots are more of a sure thing. Of course the garage spots are more expensive and farther away. About how long does it take to walk from the garage to the law school? Is it ever tough to find a student spot in the surface lots near the law school? Any other advantages or disadvantages to these options you can think of?

Thanks

Josh the Goat

New

Post by Josh the Goat » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:07 pm

They just built a brand new garage across from the graduate dorms. It's still about a 3-5 minute walk though, and last year they were doing a lot of construction in the area. So you had to walk through the heat, and avoid giant construction trucks kicking up all kinds of dirt. So not many people used it last year that I know of. This year may be different, I'm not sure if they're still doing lots of construction there. You could always buy the garage pass and try it out. If I read correctly on the parking website you can upgrade/downgrade the parking passes later.

As far as surface lots, you can get a spot if you park before 10:00 am, or after 3:00 or 4:00 pm. If you try to park anywhere in between those times, every surface lot near the law school will be taken. Especially the first few weeks of classes, parking is absolutely ridiculous.

There's also people that act like vultures in the parking lot and follow every single person that walks out of the law school. I thought it was funny at first, then I found it aggravating. Every time you go out to your car because you left something you'll have 3 people roll down their window and ask you if they can have your spot as you walk to your car.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:15 pm

How are you guys paying for your books? I tallied it up on Amazon (some used, some new) and with 250~ dollars in supp. material, my total came out to be $1106 and change. I find it highly frustrating that we don't get our loan money until the first day of school (that's what it says online).

rulagi

New

Post by rulagi » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:56 pm

Bustang wrote:How are you guys paying for your books? I tallied it up on Amazon (some used, some new) and with 250~ dollars in supp. material, my total came out to be $1106 and change. I find it highly frustrating that we don't get our loan money until the first day of school (that's what it says online).
Not sure if UH does it, but my undergrad had advance payments up to a certain amount that went on your student ID. The amount was just added to your bill. It was a fix, downside being you had to use the school store though.

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:18 pm

rulagi wrote:
Bustang wrote:How are you guys paying for your books? I tallied it up on Amazon (some used, some new) and with 250~ dollars in supp. material, my total came out to be $1106 and change. I find it highly frustrating that we don't get our loan money until the first day of school (that's what it says online).
Not sure if UH does it, but my undergrad had advance payments up to a certain amount that went on your student ID. The amount was just added to your bill. It was a fix, downside being you had to use the school store though.
Yeah- U of H allows for a 400 dollar "book loan." I guess it will all depend on used book prices, because it def. won't cover the required texts new.

el jefe

New

Post by el jefe » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:52 pm

Is it a necessity to get our books before class starts? I am aware just as you guys are that our aid isn't released until the 23rd and a $400 loan is clearly not enough. Not to mention the fact that I've been saving up for a new 42 inch plasma and I really don't want to break into that, so what to do now?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Josh the Goat

New

Post by Josh the Goat » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:48 pm

If you really need to wait, just buy the basic case book. You can usually hold off on the supplements until you get into the class. But most professors assign something for the first class from the course book.

You don't have to even buy books, but that's your call. I know some people that tried it. Not sure how well they did though. I imagine they took really good notes in class and wikipedia/westlaw searched the rest.

rulagi

New

Post by rulagi » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:09 am

On the topic of financial aid and when it's released, does anyone know when the funds come back to us? I've been to one school that funds the bill and the same day releases the rest by EFT to to the student, and another will fund the bill and then waits until the census/official reporting day before releasing it to the student.

Josh the Goat

New

Post by Josh the Goat » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:11 am

I'd contact Laura Neal. She's always answered my financial aid questions quickly.

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:58 am

Back to golf and happy hour.

How does Thursday (the 19th), like 3:30 work for people who want to play?

That starts Twilight rate at it's only $29 for 18. Not sure the 9-hole rate, but that could be an option, too.

Memorial Park?

People have shown an interest in happy hour after that, which could/should/will be fun.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”