In at University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rdcws000

Bronze

Re: In at University of Houston

Post by rdcws000 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:09 pm

YEM wrote:
hjl47 wrote: any word for PT'ers? ...
There was apparently some movement on 3/18 by Status Checker.

I was In Review since 2/18 for Part Time. In via Status Checker dated 3/18, like some others on the board.

Good luck to those of you still in the waiting room.
Thanks, good to hear. When did you go complete?

texlawtex

New

Post by texlawtex » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:04 pm

HOPPER4213 wrote:Still waiting patiently as a FT applicant that applied on November 1st. This is a long and arduous process no doubt, but if last year is any indication of the wait period we should all have our decisions by early April. The numbers of applications are going up as well, so mid April probably wouldnt be a huge surprise.

The saving grace at this point is that LSN has not rejected anyone with my numbers so far(161, 3.79), and the 2009 cycle actually admitted 119/121 applicants with a 161/3.5+. Anyone else in this same boat with a 160+ still on stand by with UH admissions?

Glad to know that I'm not alone.

YEM

New

Post by YEM » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:02 pm

rdcws000 wrote:
YEM wrote:
I was In Review since 2/18 for Part Time. In via Status Checker dated 3/18, like some others on the board.
Sorry, but my notes on UofH are incomplete. I think my file went straight from Incomplete to In Review and stayed that way for a month. App submitted at end of January; all LORs etc. in by second week of February.

FWIW, it's likely I'll withdraw soon. The lack of scholarship cash makes the decision. I'm not sure that Houston gave PT scholarships to begin with, let alone now that their budget has been axed. The fact that they won't invest $0.44 in a stamp to send an acceptance letter isn't a good sign. Unless UofH steps up w/$$, I'm 99% set on another school in Texas and will withdraw soon, making room for one of y'all to join the fun.

Good luck everybody; I know the waiting is vicious.

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:32 pm

YEM wrote:
rdcws000 wrote:
YEM wrote:
Sorry, but my notes on UofH are incomplete. I think my file went straight from Incomplete to In Review and stayed that way for a month. App submitted at end of January; all LORs etc. in by second week of February.

FWIW, it's likely I'll withdraw soon. The lack of scholarship cash makes the decision. I'm not sure that Houston gave PT scholarships to begin with, let alone now that their budget has been axed. The fact that they won't invest $0.44 in a stamp to send an acceptance letter isn't a good sign. Unless UofH steps up w/$$, I'm 99% set on another school in Texas and will withdraw soon, making room for one of y'all to join the fun.

From a completely selfish standpoint, thank you for your intent to withdraw. :mrgreen:
Their waiting is vicious.

Has anyone had any other application/admissions experience as silly as U of H? I don't want to be a whiner, but I'm starting to think they take the cake for worst customer service...... :roll:

moonmaster3

New

Post by moonmaster3 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:52 pm

raperez129 wrote:
YEM wrote:
rdcws000 wrote:
YEM wrote:

From a completely selfish standpoint, thank you for your intent to withdraw. :mrgreen:
Their waiting is vicious.

Has anyone had any other application/admissions experience as silly as U of H? I don't want to be a whiner, but I'm starting to think they take the cake for worst customer service...... :roll:
I don't think it has to do with them as much as it does with your score. The lower your score, the more likely they are to not respond to you until they respond to everyone else with a higher score. This happened to me at UT. For UH, I was part of the first batch of admitted people, but my scores were in their high range.

The only time I have experienced this is when my scores were low for a school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

heyzeus

New

Post by heyzeus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:57 pm

Just sent in my withdrawal good luck everyone. UR 2/18 DR-Admit 3/18.

madmartigan

Bronze

Post by madmartigan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:13 pm

What a tease. Got a letter from UH today, but it just discussed 2009 employment #s.

It looks like from 2008 to 2009 avg starting salary went down from 94K to 80K. I'd sure like to see the % of people who responded.

I wonder if other schools have similar drops in avg starting salary... anyone have insight?

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:33 pm

[/quote]

I don't think it has to do with them as much as it does with your score. The lower your score, the more likely they are to not respond to you until they respond to everyone else with a higher score. This happened to me at UT. For UH, I was part of the first batch of admitted people, but my scores were in their high range.

The only time I have experienced this is when my scores were low for a school.[/quote]

Do you really think they go by score, rather than by the order in which applications are received, or something like that? Wouldn't it make more sense to do the opposite and look at the weaker numbers first, in order to see if there's any possible way the applicant could be admitted? For most people, the answer would probably be no, so the applicant could thus be easily rejected.

colemf

Bronze

Post by colemf » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:39 pm

I think they look at them in batches, the batch is determined by the order they are recieved but within the batch they go score by score.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

moonmaster3

New

Post by moonmaster3 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:49 pm

b.j. wrote:

The only time I have experienced this is when my scores were low for a school.[/quote]

Do you really think they go by score, rather than by the order in which applications are received, or something like that? Wouldn't it make more sense to do the opposite and look at the weaker numbers first, in order to see if there's any possible way the applicant could be admitted? For most people, the answer would probably be no, so the applicant could thus be easily rejected.[/quote]

It is probably a mixture of both, but if you read TLS you'll realize that they do go by scores in a lot of cases. A lot of people applied in Oct. or Nov. and did not hear from schools until now, or are still waiting for some, like me. All the while people with higher scores who applied later or those who applied at the same time have already heard back.

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:18 am

moonmaster3 wrote:
b.j. wrote:

The only time I have experienced this is when my scores were low for a school.
Do you really think they go by score, rather than by the order in which applications are received, or something like that? Wouldn't it make more sense to do the opposite and look at the weaker numbers first, in order to see if there's any possible way the applicant could be admitted? For most people, the answer would probably be no, so the applicant could thus be easily rejected.[/quote]

It is probably a mixture of both, but if you read TLS you'll realize that they do go by scores in a lot of cases. A lot of people applied in Oct. or Nov. and did not hear from schools until now, or are still waiting for some, like me. All the while people with higher scores who applied later or those who applied at the same time have already heard back.[/quote]

Well, this kind of kills my buzz that I might have a shot at Washington & Lee. :wink: Or were you just referring to Houston?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:35 am

Be happy that your are still waiting and not WL'd :(.
I'm probably going to withdraw from the WL soon. Don't think I'm going to stick this one out. I have bigger fish to fry (so to speak :)).

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:09 pm

Just got WL via status checker. That stings. I have the numbers and I am a Houston native. I really thought I'd have to make a difficult decision between UH and SMU, I guess this makes that choice easier.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:11 pm

fathergoose wrote:Just got WL via status checker. That stings. I have the numbers and I am a Houston native. I really thought I'd have to make a difficult decision between UH and SMU, I guess this makes that choice easier.
FT or PT?

Don't feel too bad. Today, I received a postcard from the Richmond Student Association wishing me good luck with my application, followed by a rejection letter.

Better coordination next time, okay, guys?

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:24 pm

FT. I guess I was not prepared for the emotional roller coaster ride that comes with being a splitter. Absolutely no rhyme or reason for what schools accept you, reject you or waitlist you.

Best of luck to all the rest of you. UH is a good school and Houston is a great city.

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:38 pm

fathergoose wrote:FT. I guess I was not prepared for the emotional roller coaster ride that comes with being a splitter. Absolutely no rhyme or reason for what schools accept you, reject you or waitlist you.

Best of luck to all the rest of you. UH is a good school and Houston is a great city.

In eighth grade, I had a really hard nosed English teacher who would, to his credit, give us a breakdown of how he scored papers. Certain things were worth a certain amount of points, so it was easy to see where you went wrong. It's not possible to do exactly the same thing, because there just aren't enough seats for all of the qualified applicants, but perhaps something similar could be done.

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:53 pm

I still can't decide between Tulane and Houston. On one hand, I think my opportunity to get into Biglaw is greater at Houston. On the other, I think getting any kind of job at Tulane will be easier due to the alumni network+its lay prestige. Ugh. And with my scholarship at tulane, tuition+COL for both schools are about 100 dollars different.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AngeLaDona

New

Post by AngeLaDona » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:42 pm

Well it seems as if there are signs of life this week in the admissions office. File went "In Review" on 02/26/2010. Today, almost a month later, the date was updated but the status is the same. "File in Review 03/24/2010". I am only slightly hopeful because I wasn't WL, but this is almost as torturous.

HOPPER4213

New

Post by HOPPER4213 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:27 pm

Good news going down this week, just got admitted to UHCL via status checker today. This took forever, but it was well worth the wait. I had a 161/3.79 in case anyone was interested.

To the guy that was just waitlisted and deciding between UH and SMU, what were your numbers? I know you said that you had good ones, I was just curious to how close the line is from WL to acceptance.

rachel.almaraz

New

Post by rachel.almaraz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:12 pm

Admitted via status checker. Submitted 10/30, In Review 12/15, 2/15, and 3/15, Admitted 3/24.

raoul79

New

Post by raoul79 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:17 pm

rachel.almaraz wrote:Admitted via status checker. Submitted 10/30, In Review 12/15, 2/15, and 3/15, Admitted 3/24.
Congrats! And to all others admitted today... Out of curiosity... What is the deposit deadline for you all?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RyShermanJ

New

Post by RyShermanJ » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:43 pm

I got waitlisted today also. I am so down right now. I really wanted U of H. I figured since I had been reviewed 5 times it was only a matter of time before I was accepted.

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:06 pm

HOPPER4213 wrote:Good news going down this week, just got admitted to UHCL via status checker today. This took forever, but it was well worth the wait. I had a 161/3.79 in case anyone was interested.

To the guy that was just waitlisted and deciding between UH and SMU, what were your numbers? I know you said that you had good ones, I was just curious to how close the line is from WL to acceptance.
Me? 162/3.78~

nitr0x99

Bronze

Post by nitr0x99 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:01 pm

waitlisted

doesnt really matter because UH was out of the running for me anyways, but its just an ego thing

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:14 pm

RyShermanJ wrote:I got waitlisted today also. I am so down right now. I really wanted U of H. I figured since I had been reviewed 5 times it was only a matter of time before I was accepted.
sorry to hear that man.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”