In at University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
G_Girl4098

New

Re: In at University of Houston

Post by G_Girl4098 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:20 pm

OasisFan wrote:you can always email them an ask them to change your application...my friend did it and switched from PT to FT

and sadly the further along I go through this process, the LSAT really is the only thing that matters to these guys...I also have a low score but i'm retaking in Feb
I've thought of doing that but I don't want them to get a negative impression of me. Like I'm flaky, or don't know what I want or that I can't afford to do full-time.

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:27 pm

G_Girl4098 wrote:
OasisFan wrote:you can always email them an ask them to change your application...my friend did it and switched from PT to FT

and sadly the further along I go through this process, the LSAT really is the only thing that matters to these guys...I also have a low score but i'm retaking in Feb
I've thought of doing that but I don't want them to get a negative impression of me. Like I'm flaky, or don't know what I want or that I can't afford to do full-time.
I wouldn't over analyze too much, I don't think it is that big of a deal to them...as long as your cordial in your email I doubt they'd have a problem.

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:03 pm

Maybe so.
Any idea if there has been a high number of PT apps this year because of the economy?

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:25 pm

I emailed UH an LOCI and asked them about the what "hold" status means? The lady told me that it meant that a status meant that the file had been reviewed and that a decision has been made, but they were holding out on mailing the decisions out. Judging by how a lot of people get emails from UH about their acceptances, i'm starting to think that those letters they're holding onto might be dings :( but I am not sure

Dave O

New

Post by Dave O » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:01 am

I'll be disappointed if that's the case, since my numbers put me at about 50-50 at UH.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:14 am

Dave O wrote:I'll be disappointed if that's the case, since my numbers put me at about 50-50 at UH.
+1 Agreed

Dave O

New

Post by Dave O » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:37 am

I'll be really pissed that they didn't WL me too. If I'm 50-50 and don't get pass the initial screenings, WL me.

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:00 pm

lets just hope for the best...

Archon D: terrorface

New

Post by Archon D: terrorface » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:51 pm

Isn't Houston building some kind of suite for 1L's next year?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

joonix

New

Post by joonix » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:08 pm

Archon D: terrorface wrote:Isn't Houston building some kind of suite for 1L's next year?
UH has built a new apartment building solely for graduate students. It is directly across the law center and opens in August.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:18 pm

If it came down to UConn pt. and Houston pt. and you did not care where you practiced out of school AND you were solely concerned with private practice career prospects, which would you choose and why?

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:28 pm

A'nold wrote:If it came down to UConn pt. and Houston pt. and you did not care where you practiced out of school AND you were solely concerned with private practice career prospects, which would you choose and why?
Well thats a difficult question to answer if you don't care where you want to work, but i'll bite.

I'd say Houston PT because not only is it the highest ranked school in Houston (4th largest city in the country), it also has portability in the state of Texas which in and of itself is a very insular legal market. They don't pinch too far from out of state unless its a school like Tulane which is very close or somewhere like a T14 or something.

My guess it that UConn would give you good prospects for working in the Northeast, but there are so many higher ranked schools that are in the big city markets (take BC and BU for Boston and NYU/Columbia/Fordham for NYC respectively for example)

But once again it is not impossible to find good private firm jobs out of either school, but it all boils down to where you want to work...

Archon D: terrorface

New

Post by Archon D: terrorface » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:29 pm

TX resident = Houston

Con Resident = Con

Non resident of both = Choose based on scholarship and where you want to work.

Both are largely regional schools, and it depends on your preference for quality of life and so on. For me, Vandy is very expensive and Houston - especially if they offer money - would be a great option for me as an instate resident. I'm planning to work in Texas anyway, so yeah. It just depends. Money is more important now than ever - and to some extent, I think cost might be more important than general rankings.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:30 pm

Also I have a question....

To those of you who got "Hold" on your status checkers, have any of you guys been notified of being accepted (email/snail mail/phonecall/etc)

I am afraid that those "held" decisions might be waitlists and dings...but I can't say that for sure

perin

New

Post by perin » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:17 pm

If the ticker says decision rendered and I have yet to receive the acceptance email, am I to assume I have been rejected?

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:20 pm

perin wrote:If the ticker says decision rendered and I have yet to receive the acceptance email, am I to assume I have been rejected?
When did the status change??? I am guessing if it says decision rendered instead of "hold" you are probably in...but they probably are waiting to get all the decisions made before they notify you

perin

New

Post by perin » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:24 pm

Just today. Not long ago.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

joonix

New

Post by joonix » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:33 pm

anyone's status ever stay "In Review" but have the date change? wonder what this means.

thundy84

New

Post by thundy84 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:39 pm

joonix wrote:
Archon D: terrorface wrote:Isn't Houston building some kind of suite for 1L's next year?
UH has built a new apartment building solely for graduate students. It is directly across the law center and opens in August.
LoL, last time I saw it (in Dec.) it was still the skeleton of the building. Hopefully they stay on schedule.

perin

New

Post by perin » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:44 pm

joonix wrote:anyone's status ever stay "In Review" but have the date change? wonder what this means.
Not to state the obvious, but it probably means they are still deciding. If you don't mind, when did you go complete?

joonix

New

Post by joonix » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:52 pm

perin wrote:
joonix wrote:anyone's status ever stay "In Review" but have the date change? wonder what this means.
Not to state the obvious, but it probably means they are still deciding. If you don't mind, when did you go complete?
I've been In Review since last month, but today the date updated to today's date. They don't usually update the date only, so it was weird. At SMU for example, the people this happened to ended up getting accepted a few days later.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lsatismybitchlover

New

Post by lsatismybitchlover » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:12 pm

Archon D: terrorface wrote:TX resident = Houston

Con Resident = Con

Non resident of both = Choose based on scholarship and where you want to work.

Both are largely regional schools, and it depends on your preference for quality of life and so on. For me, Vandy is very expensive and Houston - especially if they offer money - would be a great option for me as an instate resident. I'm planning to work in Texas anyway, so yeah. It just depends. Money is more important now than ever - and to some extent, I think cost might be more important than general rankings.

Wait, so did you apply to Vandy and not to UT?

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:27 pm

OasisFan wrote:Also I have a question....

To those of you who got "Hold" on your status checkers, have any of you guys been notified of being accepted (email/snail mail/phonecall/etc)

I am afraid that those "held" decisions might be waitlists and dings...but I can't say that for sure

BUMP

Dave O

New

Post by Dave O » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:31 pm

Nothing yet...

tbx59

New

Post by tbx59 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:35 pm

Decision Rendered today, doesn't look like they've sent out rejects yet, Applied 1/13; complete 1/27

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”