In at University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bigred77

New

Re: In at University of Houston

Post by bigred77 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:54 am

Heres a link to the admissions blog:http://uhlcadmissions.wordpress.com/

Im 2.6/159 ( thats degree granting school's GPA, my LSAC GPA is even lower, I cant even bring myself to type it.)

I have 2 years WE plus what i considered GREAT softs and LOR but now I am questioning everything. No excuses for the GPA or even LSAT except that I had NO idea what I was getting into. I was over confident from dominating the GMAT and studied 1 week (only 2 practice tests) before getting whipped on the LSAT. From what I can tell, to feel truly confident about having a chance, I'd have to retake for next year and score 165+ (no problem right :roll: )

I've been accepted to the UH MBA program but wanted to defer and do law school the first year. If I dont get in ill enroll and do the MBA 1st yr and re-apply to the law school again next year (hopefully with an improved LSAT) so I can still do the joint program. If i still dont get in I may just have to accept law school was not for me.

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:00 am

bigred77 wrote:Heres a link to the admissions blog:http://uhlcadmissions.wordpress.com/

No excuses for the GPA or even LSAT except that I had NO idea what I was getting into. I was over confident from dominating the GMAT and studied 1 week (only 2 practice tests) before getting whipped on the LSAT. From what I can tell, to feel truly confident about having a chance, I'd have to retake for next year and score 165+ (no problem right :roll: )

Once upon a time, 10 years ago, I did the same thing and scored 143. :roll:
The LSAT is an ass kicker, no lie. But with your 159 range, you should be able to improve your score dramatically if you do a class. The Princeton classes and such don't usually do much for those that are already scoring the high 160s, but it should get you to your 165.

bigred77

New

Post by bigred77 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:22 am

raperez129 wrote:
bigred77 wrote:Heres a link to the admissions blog:http://uhlcadmissions.wordpress.com/

No excuses for the GPA or even LSAT except that I had NO idea what I was getting into. I was over confident from dominating the GMAT and studied 1 week (only 2 practice tests) before getting whipped on the LSAT. From what I can tell, to feel truly confident about having a chance, I'd have to retake for next year and score 165+ (no problem right :roll: )

The LSAT is an ass kicker, no lie. But with your 159 range, you should be able to improve your score dramatically if you do a class. The Princeton classes and such don't usually do much for those that are already scoring the high 160s, but it should get you to your 165.
Ya if I get the rejection I will definately have to come up with a better study plan. I wish I had found this site before I took the test. Flat out, the timing killed me. I didnt get to even look at about a combined 15 questions on the test and had to blindely bubble. My plan is do 2-3 practice tests per week, strictly timed, for about 6 weeks to determine where I'm scoring at and see if a class is necessary. At least theres alot of time between now and october if that happens.

JDin2013

New

Post by JDin2013 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:52 am

raperez129 wrote:

But that leads me to think....is a $2k class worth the 5 point (well for me, 7 pt) increase? I guess you have to think long term and consider what school that'll get you into, what debts you'll incur while in that school, and what you can expect to make coming out of it....... Maybe I'm not thinking rationally here but the pain of retaking the LSAT + the cost of the class (that doesn't necessarily guarantee an increase in score) + the set back of 1 academic year make it even more prohibitive to do so.....

So we're back to square one: is STCL a good alternative?

bigred77

New

Post by bigred77 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:05 pm

I'm sure there are more knowledgable people on this board but if your not dreaming of moving to the coasts or going into Biglaw and plan on staying in Texas or more specificaly the greater houston area then I think STCL is a fine choice. Their facilities are nicer than UHs are and from what I understand they put out well respected litigators. I guess it really depends on what you want to do after law school.

Also, in the grand scheme of things, waiting a year and dropping 2k on a LSAT class if you need it (although I don't claim to know your financial situation) is really nothing. 10 years from now it wont matter if you waited a year or have 2k less in the bank. just my $.02

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:21 pm

bigred77 wrote: Also, in the grand scheme of things, waiting a year and dropping 2k on a LSAT class if you need it (although I don't claim to know your financial situation) is really nothing. 10 years from now it wont matter if you waited a year or have 2k less in the bank. just my $.02
+1

In my case, $1K was worth bringing my score from the low 140s to the mid 155s. (I think the average increase is about 12 points). *But* with that said, STCL is a fine school, especially in the local market. I would rather get 1L underway, than try to re-take the LSAT. Besides, with good grades, you can get academic schollys on down the road.

billaboy12

New

Post by billaboy12 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:53 pm

good luck again to all of those still waiting for an answer!

for all accepted, i started a questions thread under the "discuss your law school" board and a thread on the "class of 2013" board. it'd be good to hear from some of you who are set on going to Houston this fall.

JDin2013

New

Post by JDin2013 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:13 pm

bigred77 wrote:I guess it really depends on what you want to do after law school.
Well, like I mentioned, I majored in engineering and have been working as an engineer for the last 5 years, so I'd like to built upon that if I can. I definitely have not ruled out IP or energy law (or both!) so that's why I was so keen on going to UH considering how highly they're ranked in IP law. I plan to practice in TX.

I did visit both UH and STCL and I have to agree that STCL's facilities gave me the better impression. Also, my understanding is that you don't really "pick your specialty" (and by that I mean just take classes in that field in 2L & 3L) so I could possibly transfer to UH for those formative years or just stay in STCL. I have heard that STCL churn out fine litigators as well, so it's definitely not bad.

I can't help but feel like my LSAT score is what set me back this year, especially since competition is so tough during these recession years. That said, I worked my ass off and considering I only had ~2 mo. to study after being laid off (can we say stress?) I'm pretty proud of what I did. I would've like to get 160 but what can ya do. I blame the -2 on stress test day conditions. :|
billaboy12 wrote:for all accepted, i started a questions thread under the "discuss your law school" board and a thread on the "class of 2013" board. it'd be good to hear from some of you who are set on going to Houston this fall.
Thanks billaboy, i'll be moseying my way over there to check out if there's any discussion on UH vs. STCL. I think my questions are more fit for that forum.

I am still rooting for those of you waiting for an answer or and us WL'ed ones. :) GL and keep us posted!

JDin2013

New

Post by JDin2013 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:51 pm

bauer12 wrote:I can say that I'm a little perturbed about how this whole process went. I know that UH is where I want to end up... I guess this is just additional motivation to kick ass next year at stcl and try and transfer. In my opinion, if I can't do well enough to make this a possibility then I probably didn't deserve to be at UH in the first place.
I guess I'm in the same boat as you...I'm WL for PT at UH and I'm trying to pump myself up to think about going to STCL but all I can think about is trying to transfer in UH. Anyone out there have advice regarding that?

I know it's bad to go to a school thinking you're going to transfer but....yeah...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Texasboundanddown

Bronze

Post by Texasboundanddown » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:05 pm

Hmmm isn't it getting close to when they said they would have sent out all their decisions?

madmartigan

Bronze

Post by madmartigan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:54 pm

raperez129 wrote:
bigred77 wrote: Also, in the grand scheme of things, waiting a year and dropping 2k on a LSAT class if you need it (although I don't claim to know your financial situation) is really nothing. 10 years from now it wont matter if you waited a year or have 2k less in the bank. just my $.02
+1

In my case, $1K was worth bringing my score from the low 140s to the mid 155s. (I think the average increase is about 12 points). *But* with that said, STCL is a fine school, especially in the local market. I would rather get 1L underway, than try to re-take the LSAT. Besides, with good grades, you can get academic schollys on down the road.
IMO. The LSAT classes are absolutely a waste of $. If you attend the class, you are going to commit yourself to lots of LSAT study time. It’s the time spent studying (efficiently) that improves scores, not the class. I worked for one of the big prep-test companies for 2 years, and there’s no secret to their program. It’s just a little bit of strategy (which you can find a LSAT prep book), and drilling problems over and over again.

My first practice test, I scored a 153. I studied hard for 6 months; I did the 3 bibles and I took every practice test LSAC published (most of them I took 2-3 times). And I made a 168 on the actual LSAT.

So… save the money. Buy the powerscore bibles, and get every tests LSAC offers. Put in the effort and knock that test out.

texag08

New

Post by texag08 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:10 am

Anyone have an idea of how the waitlist goes?

BleedBlue83

New

Post by BleedBlue83 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:15 pm

texag08 wrote:Anyone have an idea of how the waitlist goes?
Read the last 2 pages of posts.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:43 pm

SO, does anyone have any idea how going to South Texas differs from going to Houston with regard to opportunities right out of law school and further down the line (20 years) after graduation?

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:31 pm

jgrin wrote:SO, does anyone have any idea how going to South Texas differs from going to Houston with regard to opportunities right out of law school and further down the line (20 years) after graduation?
From the admissions blog:

"While fall 2009 was a much publicized, troubled recruiting season across the nation, over 85 employers participated in the Law Center’s fall OCI program. Additionally, 35+ employers participated in our Government and Public Interest Table Talk in January and 20 employers recruited with us for Spring OCI...I am happy to announce that 75% of our May 2009 graduates reported employment at graduation, while 95.5% reported employment 9 months after graduation."

I doubt STCL can boast such honest and compelling numbers.

0 and 16

New

Post by 0 and 16 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:44 pm

I'll weigh in on this
Last edited by 0 and 16 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:00 pm

What I am really looking for is how my life will be different from attending STCL rather than UH. I know at either place, it has a lot to do with what I make of the experience, but lets assume that I finish top 10% of the class at both places. Will my employment option be that different? Additionally, what will one's life look like 20 years down the road in this scenario?

I know these are very hypothetical question and questions that answers are hard to come by. I am mostly looking for generalizations though, rather than specifics. Thank you...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

0 and 16

New

Post by 0 and 16 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:43 pm

UH places about a combined 20% in NLJ 250 and Federal clerkships. So I would assume Top 10% may not be able to get you one of the big 3, but you would probably be a lock for market salary. However, I think the NLJ 250 placement % might not be accurate for non-patent law. Alot of UH law grads in big firms are doing patent stuff that requires an engineering/science background.

I have never found stats for STCL biglaw placement but based on its T-4 status I would say 5% get biglaw/fed. clerkship. STCL may have more of an "in" with mid-law, however. A lot of those firms specialize in litigation.

I'm not going to take the time to do this, but you could possibly extrapolate the two schools overall placement by running law school searches on Fulbright, V&E, and BakerBotts. You could see the background of how many associates, partners, and of counsel each firm has and go from there.

(sorry if you're not interested in biglaw, but its the only kind of law that has readily available information on hiring practices. otherwise, i'm pretty sure the evidence becomes entirely anecdotal.)

b.gump81

Bronze

Post by b.gump81 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:28 pm

0 and 16 wrote:UH places about a combined 20% in NLJ 250 and Federal clerkships. So I would assume Top 10% may not be able to get you one of the big 3, but you would probably be a lock for market salary. However, I think the NLJ 250 placement % might not be accurate for non-patent law. Alot of UH law grads in big firms are doing patent stuff that requires an engineering/science background.

I have never found stats for STCL biglaw placement but based on its T-4 status I would say 5% get biglaw/fed. clerkship. STCL may have more of an "in" with mid-law, however. A lot of those firms specialize in litigation.

I'm not going to take the time to do this, but you could possibly extrapolate the two schools overall placement by running law school searches on Fulbright, V&E, and BakerBotts. You could see the background of how many associates, partners, and of counsel each firm has and go from there.

(sorry if you're not interested in biglaw, but its the only kind of law that has readily available information on hiring practices. otherwise, i'm pretty sure the evidence becomes entirely anecdotal.)
they are both out of the T20, so it doesn't matter anymore, according to this article

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/04/nalp-201 ... be-warned/

dut99002

New

Post by dut99002 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:42 pm

All of you who asked for scholarship money, who did you send the email to specifically?

0 and 16

New

Post by 0 and 16 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:17 pm

b.gump81 wrote:
they are both out of the T20, so it doesn't matter anymore, according to this article

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/04/nalp-201 ... be-warned/
"The future doesn’t look bright for young litigators, but it looks especially bleak for young litigators coming from schools outside the U.S. News top 20. Long directly addressed the NALP recruiting change that forces firms to recruit earlier and for a shorter amount of time. This puts a strain on firm resources, which means that firms won’t be able to recruit at the same number of schools that they have traditionally gone to. "

I understand that this one dude at NALP thinks that firms will cut back in hiring, but to say 'it doesn't matter anymore' is some strong language.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CarthagoDelendaEst

New

Post by CarthagoDelendaEst » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:43 pm

Does anyone know when UH is going to send out any more acceptances/rejections? I've been sitting at "in Review" since 4/16 and would love to have an end to the suspense.

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:35 pm

CarthagoDelendaEst wrote:Does anyone know when UH is going to send out any more acceptances/rejections? I've been sitting at "in Review" since 4/16 and would love to have an end to the suspense.
Doesn't look like they had much activity this week. :cry:

I've been in review since 3/29. That has been my first and only "review" date.

batch

New

Post by batch » Sat May 01, 2010 1:26 am

Well, thought I'd post in. I declined STCL this year since I'm very interested in IP/patent. I'm on waitlist for UH PT 2010 as well but not holding out much hope. I'm enrolled in Powerscore class right now planning on taking the June LSAT.

I just took my 2nd practice exam and improved only 4 pts (but I answered 11 more questions correctly and completed more problems - I also choked on the games section trying a new strategy). I think if I don't get in this year, I'll make it for fall 2011.

If I don't make it into UH, hopefully STCL will accept me again OR I'll just give up on this and stick with engineering.

I have to agree w/ everyone else that STCL really impresses when you visit them and talk w/ faculty and students. Good night and good luck!

roofles

New

Post by roofles » Sat May 01, 2010 1:33 am

The only two schools I've yet to hear from are Houston and Baylor. Apparently the "everything is bigger in Texas" includes the wait for hearing back from law schools. :) :shock:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”