In at University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BleedBlue83

New

Re: In at University of Houston

Post by BleedBlue83 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:26 pm

I'm officially withdrawn. Good luck to those who are waiting.
Off-topic discussion aside, best of luck to you!

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:31 pm

BleedBlue83 wrote:
I'm officially withdrawn. Good luck to those who are waiting.
Off-topic discussion aside, best of luck to you!
Thanks, same to you. Double that since you're a Cowboys fan.

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:06 pm

This thread needs to come alive - someone post something to spark it

EBGB

New

Post by EBGB » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:20 am

I went file under review on 3/30 and nothing has changed. Good or bad thing?

FT/159/3.3/non-urm

Texan09

New

Post by Texan09 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:06 am

Last edited by Texan09 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

matrix637

New

Post by matrix637 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:10 am

WLed 161/3.3/Texas resident. Withdrawing soon. good luck to all you guys still waiting.

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:34 am

I spent a lot of time reviewing last year's forum posts, studying the timeline to see when the spurts of activity were. (Sad I know).

Last year a batch of people went under review on 3/30, 3/31 (just like this year, including me) and a good majority of them heard a decision by the first of May.

There were of course those unfortunate ones who continued to wait, but it seems most either received a decision or were waitlisted by the first of May.

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:56 am

rdcws000 wrote: Last year a batch of people went under review on 3/30, 3/31 (just like this year, including me) and a good majority of them heard a decision by the first of May.
:shock: :shock:

Are you speaking of FT, PT or both?

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:32 pm

Really hoping my softs can push me over the threshold - i Really want this one

Nevertheless, expecting the ding

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Texasboundanddown

Bronze

Post by Texasboundanddown » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:38 pm

jgrin wrote:Really hoping my softs can push me over the threshold - i Really want this one

Nevertheless, expecting the ding
Does ding mean rejection? I thought it just meant decision? Sorry I dont know the language. haha

madmartigan

Bronze

Post by madmartigan » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:23 pm

I put my deposit down. No chatter from ASD?

I visited the campus for the first time a couple days ago. I had pretty low expectations from everything I've heard. But I didn't think the building was that bad. It wasn't ivy league or even modern, but it wasn't shite either.

But I didn't completely figure out who all is sharing the building. Is there some other college or department that shares the same building as the law school?

Josh the Goat

New

Post by Josh the Goat » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:37 pm

madmartigan wrote:But I didn't completely figure out who all is sharing the building. Is there some other college or department that shares the same building as the law school?
Nope, it's all the law school. There's BLB, TUII, the underground commons area and student organizations area, plus Krost Hall and the Trailers. What makes you think it's being shared with something else?

madmartigan

Bronze

Post by madmartigan » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:41 pm

Josh the Goat wrote:
madmartigan wrote:But I didn't completely figure out who all is sharing the building. Is there some other college or department that shares the same building as the law school?
Nope, it's all the law school. There's BLB, TUII, the underground commons area and student organizations area, plus Krost Hall and the Trailers. What makes you think it's being shared with something else?
i thought I saw a sign that said something about another department. And there was a bunch of booths set up in the common area, and it didn't all look like law school stuff. Isn't there a TU1 attached?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Josh the Goat

New

Post by Josh the Goat » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:55 pm

madmartigan wrote:Isn't there a TU1 attached?
TU I is actually the Bates Law Building. I'm pretty sure they just renamed it after a big donation from the "Bates" family. I'm guessing they're holding off on TUII until they get another big donation.

I'm not sure who was set up in the commons, but it's normally just students milling about and studying in there. They might have rented out the space to some other event for the day.

madmartigan

Bronze

Post by madmartigan » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:52 pm

Josh the Goat wrote:
Bustang wrote:Can you post a screenshot of your commute the school everyday? How long is the drive?
I've lived in the downtown area for about 6 years now. I've visited a lot of the apartment complexes while looking for housing, so feel free to ask about any you're considering.

Here's my opinion on the major downtown locations where UH students tend to live:

I can elaborate if anyone wants me to.
Josh, or anyone else familiar with Houston. Several people have recommended I look at "the village" and "kirby" as possible locations for an apartment. Where are those neighborhoods in relation to your map?

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:09 pm

How do you pay the seat deposit?

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:22 pm

madmartigan wrote:
Josh, or anyone else familiar with Houston. Several people have recommended I look at "the village" and "kirby" as possible locations for an apartment. Where are those neighborhoods in relation to your map?

Village = "Rice & Museum District"

Kirby = "Greenway Plaza & River Oaks"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FB567

New

Post by FB567 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:23 pm

Bustang wrote:How do you pay the seat deposit?
I wrote a check and mailed it in.

madmartigan

Bronze

Post by madmartigan » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:02 pm

Gotcha, thanks Donny.

I just delivered my $ in person, but you can mail it as well.

Anybody know whats next for admitted students? Isn't there another deposit deadline... Do we need to register for classes or anything... etc.

0 and 16

New

Post by 0 and 16 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:30 pm

Anyone have thoughts on the admitted students day?

I came away from it feeling that the Q and A with current students was the most valuable part of the program. The five students represented a nice cross-section of what I imagine the law school students at UH are like--public interest, criminal, and private practice. They didn't obscure the fact that it's difficult to secure a job, but at the same time stressed that people who aren't graduating with jobs from UH probably didn't do the necessary legwork in the first place. After the day was done, I left very impressed with the quality of education and the caliber of students that currently attend.

mr.ford

New

Post by mr.ford » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:34 pm

About the Admitted Students Day- I came away with mixed feelings. The facilities definitely weren't as bad as people on this forum have made them out to be. I was very impressed by the faculty and the range of opportunities for students (clinics, moot court, etc.). But my soul was kind of crushed by the financial aid session.

I was accepted in December and filed my FAFSA in February, but I still haven't received my Peoplesoft ID. The financial aid person told me I probably wouldn't be considered for the first round of financial aid because of this (a clerical error on their part). That, plus the lack of merit scholarships, plus the absurd out of state tuition cost really doesn't do much for me.

But aside from those shenanigans it was a good experience.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm

I also enjoyed the admitted students day. I felt that everyone there was intelligent and full of personality. However, I did not feel intimidated by anyone or the institution itself so that's nice. I'm filling out all of my finaid stuff right now: it's scary that my dream of law school is coming closer and closer to fruition.

atfarmer

New

Post by atfarmer » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:43 am

mr.ford wrote: I was accepted in December and filed my FAFSA in February, but I still haven't received my Peoplesoft ID. The financial aid person told me I probably wouldn't be considered for the first round of financial aid because of this (a clerical error on their part). That, plus the lack of merit scholarships, plus the absurd out of state tuition cost really doesn't do much for me.

But aside from those shenanigans it was a good experience.
No kidding. There was an audible WTF!!?? reaction around the room when she announced that. That's a pretty big screw up on their part.

mr.ford

New

Post by mr.ford » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:54 am

edit edit edit
Last edited by mr.ford on Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duragon

New

Post by Duragon » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:39 am

Will you explain what you're taking about regarding a financial aid clerical error in a little more detail, please? I'm did not attend the ASW and I'm confused by what you're saying. Thanks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”