Anybody heard back from SMU?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
argentinabrends

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby argentinabrends » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:55 pm

While I personally think it's an unwise decision to disrespectfully or inappropriately behave on a site such as this one, where deans and other members of admissions have come to answer questions, I do think Adcomms have better things to do then scroll around different threads looking for possible applicants, and then go and open their file and make a note about what they said on an internet forum. Let's be realistic...

eamonbriggs08

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:00 pm

argentinabrends wrote:While I personally think it's an unwise decision to disrespectfully or inappropriately behave on a site such as this one, where deans and other members of admissions have come to answer questions, I do think Adcomms have better things to do then scroll around different threads looking for possible applicants, and then go and open their file and make a note about what they said on an internet forum. Let's be realistic...

Agreed. Especially now during crunch time.

overtheoxer

Postby overtheoxer » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:00 pm

argentinabrends wrote:While I personally think it's an unwise decision to disrespectfully or inappropriately behave on a site such as this one, where deans and other members of admissions have come to answer questions, I do think Adcomms have better things to do then scroll around different threads looking for possible applicants, and then go and open their file and make a note about what they said on an internet forum. Let's be realistic...

You might be surprised.... I've heard, from an adcomm, that it does happen. However, unless you divulge a ton of information, I doubt they will know who it is.

JD2008

Postby JD2008 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:05 pm

Actually a student was "outted" by an admissions person at UT-Law the year I applied to law school (2005) based on his posts on LSD. He was accepted at UT and I think he wrote something about how he listed himself as a minority when he was actually a white guy that was adopted by a hispanic family. He then got accepted at Michigan (which became his new number 1) and talked about his acceptance and the possible misrep on his applications on LSD. Someone from UT saw these postings and contacted the folks at Michigan to see if he labeled himself as an URM. He ended up going to Michigan (and got in trouble for sending an email to a professor), but he definitely had to redact several statements he made on LSD when he was notified that he was being outted.

JD2008

Postby JD2008 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:11 pm

BTW, make sure you are comfortable with your future classmates reading your posts and seeing your picture/info on TLS. I know someone who was a real douche and mocked a fellow classmate for acting desperate online when he was writing posts about trying to get accepted off the SMU WL. The classmate was able to determine his LSAT score and would call the student a dumbass behind his back. Remember, law school is WORSE than high school - it's small, people are competitive, people can and do get drunk constantly, and some folks are not afraid to be a jackass.

SkidmarksSniffer72

Postby SkidmarksSniffer72 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:28 pm

I go from thread to thread to call out other people on their lies. This is a stressful time and it's really not helpful when people assume a certain school isn't accepting people because of illogical connections TLS posters make. If you haven't heard from SMU, that does not mean that they didn't accept you. It just means that they haven't gotten to you yet. So to everyone reading this, you don't need to give up and call it quits. These people probably want you to so they get a better chance to get in the school.

eamonbriggs08

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:53 pm

I share thoughts and feelings on this forum stemming from the anxiety of the LSAT and law school applications that I don't feel comfortable sharing with my own family, friends, or girlfriend of over two years. The people in this forum understand and appreciate each other out of the shared experiences we have; with law school in general and with the SMU application experience in particular.

You clearly are not an applicant to SMU. It is becoming increasingly clear that you are not even a law school applicant. Don't lecture the rest of us on how to deal with the stress surrounding either. I am a relatively new poster compared with people like BigAristotle, but the example is clear- we are here to share information and not to hoard it. I find that the person who is injecting the most conjecture into this discussion is you skidmarkssniffer, you are the one who keeps sayings what each of us are 'probably' trying to do , or what our real motivations 'likely' are for saying certain things.

Thanks for trying to protect us from each other, but I could certainly do without the attacks. I am comfortable enough to use my real name, and honest enough to recommend that someone choose SMU, the school I am desperate to get accepted to and would benefit from people withdrawing from, instead of recommending that person attend a different school as I did for Chadwick a couple days ago. Lying at every turn in order to 'expose' other people's lies in an online forum is pretty ridiculous.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:11 pm

Given that statistics included below, it appears as though the PT program should quickly rebound from the recent USNWR assessment.

Statistics for Class of 2008 Evening Program Students:

Overall median salary $108,750 (vs. $88,750 for all and $80,000 for FT JDs only)

Overall average salary $113,998 (vs. $102,264 for all and $97,415 for FT JDs only)

Private practice median salary $135,000 (vs. $120,000 for all; $110,000 for FT JDs only)

Private practice average salary $123,462 (vs. $116,210 for all; $113,567 for FT JDs only)

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:53 pm

betasteve wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:Given that statistics included below, it appears as though the PT program should quickly rebound from the recent USNWR assessment.

Statistics for Class of 2008 Evening Program Students:

Overall median salary $108,750 (vs. $88,750 for all and $80,000 for FT JDs only)

Overall average salary $113,998 (vs. $102,264 for all and $97,415 for FT JDs only)

Private practice median salary $135,000 (vs. $120,000 for all; $110,000 for FT JDs only)

Private practice average salary $123,462 (vs. $116,210 for all; $113,567 for FT JDs only)

Can you source this???? It would make my day!

... per an email received earlier today directly from the admissions office (as a disclaimer, I believe that 2008 was their first graduating class so I am unsure as to how representative this will be of years to come, but still promising nonetheless ... )

SkidmarksSniffer72

Postby SkidmarksSniffer72 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:16 pm

eamonbriggs08 wrote:I share thoughts and feelings on this forum stemming from the anxiety of the LSAT and law school applications that I don't feel comfortable sharing with my own family, friends, or girlfriend of over two years. The people in this forum understand and appreciate each other out of the shared experiences we have; with law school in general and with the SMU application experience in particular.

You clearly are not an applicant to SMU. It is becoming increasingly clear that you are not even a law school applicant. Don't lecture the rest of us on how to deal with the stress surrounding either. I am a relatively new poster compared with people like BigAristotle, but the example is clear- we are here to share information and not to hoard it. I find that the person who is injecting the most conjecture into this discussion is you skidmarkssniffer, you are the one who keeps sayings what each of us are 'probably' trying to do , or what our real motivations 'likely' are for saying certain things.

Thanks for trying to protect us from each other, but I could certainly do without the attacks. I am comfortable enough to use my real name, and honest enough to recommend that someone choose SMU, the school I am desperate to get accepted to and would benefit from people withdrawing from, instead of recommending that person attend a different school as I did for Chadwick a couple days ago. Lying at every turn in order to 'expose' other people's lies in an online forum is pretty ridiculous.

I guess I didn't think of it that way

SkidmarksSniffer72

Postby SkidmarksSniffer72 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:19 pm

SkidmarksSniffer72 wrote:
eamonbriggs08 wrote:I share thoughts and feelings on this forum stemming from the anxiety of the LSAT and law school applications that I don't feel comfortable sharing with my own family, friends, or girlfriend of over two years. The people in this forum understand and appreciate each other out of the shared experiences we have; with law school in general and with the SMU application experience in particular.

Ok I just thought about it your way, and I like mine better. Now everyone tell me what your favorite ice cream is! Personally, I prefer orange sherbert.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:32 pm

betasteve wrote:

Ok I just thought about it your way, and I like mine better. Now everyone tell me what your favorite ice cream is! Personally, I prefer orange sherbert.

Feel free to exit the thread, thanks.

+1 ... c'mon skidman ...

SkidmarksSniffer72

Postby SkidmarksSniffer72 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:02 am

Ok I just thought about it your way, and I like mine better. Now everyone tell me what your favorite ice cream is! Personally, I prefer orange sherbert.[/quote]
Feel free to exit the thread, thanks.[/quote]

+1 ... c'mon skidman ...[/quote]

You're right Chadgal, I should exit the thread ... but then how could I tell you about the most delicious secret cookie recipe I've ever made?! If you let me stay, I'll you via PM!

lord_infamous

Postby lord_infamous » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:44 am

SkidmarksSniffer72 wrote:You're right Chadgal, I should exit the thread ... but then how could I tell you about the most delicious secret cookie recipe I've ever made?! If you let me stay, I'll you via PM!

DELETED

BigAristotle

Postby BigAristotle » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:51 am

Yay!

--ImageRemoved--

smubound

Postby smubound » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:52 am

Anybody hear anything?

Rachyk

Postby Rachyk » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:09 pm

Nothing so far today here......

BigAristotle

Postby BigAristotle » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:11 pm

No Status update :(. Looks like tomorrow or bust!

pammons

Postby pammons » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:21 pm

BigAristotle wrote: Looks like tomorrow or bust!

Whats their thing with Fridays? You think we are all going to get notified tomorrow?(even us that are less than fortunate to be admitted) I am open to less than serious conjectures about their fascination with Fridays.

OasisFan

Postby OasisFan » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:22 pm

nothing here either...

BigAristotle

Postby BigAristotle » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:25 pm

I think it lets them call and head out early for the weekend, avoiding the "Am I in yet?" calls. And/or drink a few margaritas after, before, and during the calls!

sapereaude2012

Postby sapereaude2012 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:43 pm

BigAristotle wrote:I think it lets them call and head out early for the weekend, avoiding the "Am I in yet?" calls. And/or drink a few margaritas after, before, and during the calls!

Ah, the life of SMU adcomms sounds pretty good to me!

oh yea nothing here either

eamonbriggs08

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:48 pm

Anyone think they are basically operating like a waitlist now? Accepting people only as currently accepted people withdraw? I could see how this would be advantageous to them since many people, myself included, can wait months for an initial decision but would go elsewhere if they were officially waitlisted. They could get their top fringe candidates to stay interested longer and feel more emotionally invested in the school for waiting so long.

BigAristotle

Postby BigAristotle » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:05 pm

eamonbriggs08 wrote:Anyone think they are basically operating like a waitlist now? Accepting people only as currently accepted people withdraw? I could see how this would be advantageous to them since many people, myself included, can wait months for an initial decision but would go elsewhere if they were officially waitlisted. They could get their top fringe candidates to stay interested longer and feel more emotionally invested in the school for waiting so long.

Thats pretty much how I see things are operating at this point.

sapereaude2012

Postby sapereaude2012 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:08 pm

BigAristotle wrote:
eamonbriggs08 wrote:Anyone think they are basically operating like a waitlist now? Accepting people only as currently accepted people withdraw? I could see how this would be advantageous to them since many people, myself included, can wait months for an initial decision but would go elsewhere if they were officially waitlisted. They could get their top fringe candidates to stay interested longer and feel more emotionally invested in the school for waiting so long.

Thats pretty much how I see things are operating at this point.

I think you guys are right on. That seems to be exactly what they're doing.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”