Anybody heard back from SMU?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
masondixon
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby masondixon » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:14 pm

Rachyk wrote:Wow that really sucks. Oh well I guess I am off to Malibu!


+1. Let's go waves! Hey at least we'll be tan?

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby chadwick218 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:17 pm

FWIW ...


Dear Humpty Dumpty,

Thank you for your e-mail. Unfortunately, we do not have more funds to offer at this time. We try to make our most generous offers up front, as we do not reserve funds for matching or increasing scholarships. I understand that you have many great offers and we hope that you choose SMU. If you have any questions about attending SMU, please let me know.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby chadwick218 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:21 pm

Ironically, I received $10,000 / year when I applied to the PT program in the 2006-2007 cycle with a 157 ...

hchiao
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby hchiao » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:30 pm

I just sent an email to check my status and got a reply with "All decision letters will be mailed by April 30th."

dt15
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby dt15 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:35 pm

chadwick218 wrote:FWIW ...


Dear Humpty Dumpty,

Thank you for your e-mail. Unfortunately, we do not have more funds to offer at this time. We try to make our most generous offers up front, as we do not reserve funds for matching or increasing scholarships. I understand that you have many great offers and we hope that you choose SMU. If you have any questions about attending SMU, please let me know.


I got the exact same e-mail, to the letter, when I tried to negotiate a slightly larger scholarship from SMU about six weeks ago.

But I chose SMU anyway. Lol.

OasisFan
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby OasisFan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:40 pm

hchiao wrote:I just sent an email to check my status and got a reply with "All decision letters will be mailed by April 30th."


This aggrivates me so much, all of us know that they are not going to be accepting anymore students, so why do they pretend like they are doing so?

The only thing keeping them busy is putting waitlist letters in the mailbox with all our addresses in them :!: :evil:

dt15
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby dt15 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:43 pm

smubound wrote:Does anyone know when the next deposit is due?


June 1, I think.

User avatar
Hook 'Em
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Hook 'Em » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:45 pm

chadwick218 wrote:FWIW ...


Dear Humpty Dumpty,

Thank you for your e-mail. Unfortunately, we do not have more funds to offer at this time. We try to make our most generous offers up front, as we do not reserve funds for matching or increasing scholarships. I understand that you have many great offers and we hope that you choose SMU. If you have any questions about attending SMU, please let me know.


Wow, that sucks. I was hoping there was a chance that we would at least receive some consideration for scholarship money. Hopefully, they'll have some withdrawals free up money in the next few weeks.

dt15
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby dt15 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:52 pm

chadwick218 wrote:Additionally, per LSN, there appears to be a considerable number of applicants who have yet to receive a response ... there is still hope!

I also think that a lot of the so-called early "deposits" were people depositing at multiple schools ...


Could be. It's "only" $100 which is a lot less than other schools so people might feel obligated to keep their options open for just a bit longer - which makes it rough on you guys still trying to get in the door. If it means anything, we only have 16 people in our Class of '12 Facebook group. Tulane and Colorado both have 70+...so just maybe a lot of the people that have put down a deposit haven't really committed yet.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby chadwick218 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:53 pm

As a disclaimer, although the following could be attributed to many schools, I have found that my experience with SMU this cycle has been very unfortunate. Of the 30 schools where I applied, my experience / contact with SMU has been the worst.

For the 2007-2008 cylce, approximately 3,000 applicants applied to SMU. Assuming that 25% of these applicants received fee waivers, you would still 2,250 applicants paying a $70 application fee. Although not a lot, that provides SMU with approximately $160,000 in fee revenue / year.

You would think that the $160,000 would result in some professionalism and responsiveness. So often I receive copy & paste responses and feel as though they do not want to be bothered ...

OasisFan
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby OasisFan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:56 pm

chadwick218 wrote:As a disclaimer, although the following could be attributed to many schools, I have found that my experience with SMU this cycle has been very unfortunate. Of the 30 schools where I applied, my experience / contact with SMU has been the worst.

For the 2007-2008 cylce, approximately 3,000 applicants applied to SMU. Assuming that 25% of these applicants received fee waivers, you would still 2,250 applicants paying a $70 application fee. Although not a lot, that provides SMU with approximately $160,000 in fee revenue / year.

You would think that the $160,000 would result in some professionalism and responsiveness. So often I receive copy & paste responses and feel as though they do not want to be bothered ...


I am going to agree with you with regards to how they have conducted themselves since January...but from October until The end of the early decision deadline, SMU was great as far as being prompt and responsive. Sadly I think as the cycle dragged on, the lazier they became and now we are sitting her twiddling our thumbs...

User avatar
JD2008
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:31 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby JD2008 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:09 pm

I think someone was asking about apartments, but I know a couple of law students live at these apartments in Uptown:

Villa Rosa
http://www.gables.com/gablesliving/comm ... unityId=53

Mondrian
http://zomrent.com/themondrianatcityplace/main-page.asp

Rienzi at Turtle Creek
--LinkRemoved--

The Ashton
--LinkRemoved--

Gables West Village
http://www.gables.com/gablesliving/comm ... unityId=63

These places are a bit cheaper:

AMLI Knox-Henderson
http://www.amli.com/Community/Community ... e=Overview

Easton Apartments
http://www.eastonapts.com/

Vue at Fitzhugh
--LinkRemoved--

Thirty377
--LinkRemoved--

Alexan Fitzhugh
--LinkRemoved--

Gables Katy Trail
http://www.gables.com/gablesliving/comm ... unityId=60

Under Construction
The Monterey
--LinkRemoved--

1900 McKinney
--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
JD2008
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:31 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby JD2008 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:16 pm

Someone was asking why SMU PT was not ranked well in USNews. You have to remember that it is still a relatively new program. Last year was the first official graduating class of the PT program. It's going to need a couple of years to garner a reputation.

User avatar
SkidmarksSniffer72
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby SkidmarksSniffer72 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:55 pm

I just called SMU's admission office. It was some guy on the phone, and I told them I heard they are full and not accepting people anymore. He said that's a rumor and it's not true at all. They have until the 30th to make decisions and they can still accept people. So whoever is making this stuff up should stop because you're just trying to freak people out and make them upset. None of you know anything about what's going on in admissions offices and it's really nerdy for you all to make crazy assumptions about what they're doing and thinking.

To be a successful law student, you all will need to think logically and connect the dots for every fact pattern and case you read. You can't jump from "my last name starts with an S and they haven't gotten to me yet" to "they must be accepting people alphabetically."

Stop making things up.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby chadwick218 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:23 pm

Hook 'Em wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:FWIW ...


Dear Humpty Dumpty,

Thank you for your e-mail. Unfortunately, we do not have more funds to offer at this time. We try to make our most generous offers up front, as we do not reserve funds for matching or increasing scholarships. I understand that you have many great offers and we hope that you choose SMU. If you have any questions about attending SMU, please let me know.


Wow, that sucks. I was hoping there was a chance that we would at least receive some consideration for scholarship money. Hopefully, they'll have some withdrawals free up money in the next few weeks.


Hook 'Em ... did you receive a package in the mail yesterday? My letter was dated 4/21 and received via "snail" mail on 4/21. The letter should indicate whether or not you'll be receiving any financial aid so there is still hope.

User avatar
eamonbriggs08
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:30 pm

SkidmarksSniffer72 wrote:I just called SMU's admission office. It was some guy on the phone, and I told them I heard they are full and not accepting people anymore. He said that's a rumor and it's not true at all. They have until the 30th to make decisions and they can still accept people. So whoever is making this stuff up should stop because you're just trying to freak people out and make them upset. None of you know anything about what's going on in admissions offices and it's really nerdy for you all to make crazy assumptions about what they're doing and thinking.

To be a successful law student, you all will need to think logically and connect the dots for every fact pattern and case you read. You can't jump from "my last name starts with an S and they haven't gotten to me yet" to "they must be accepting people alphabetically."

Stop making things up.


I didn't make anything up, and you are kind of being a jerk for suggesting otherwise. Moreover, if you look at what I QUOTED the lady for the admissions office as saying, nothing if final until it's final. That does not conflict with anything you have just said. Just because they have until the 30th to make more decisions, that does not mean they have any intention to do so. The person you spoke with simply approached the topic more optimistically, suggesting that there was still a chance for more people to be accepted than the lady with whom I spoke.

I also think you need to learn how to read a little bit more closely before you enter law school. Again, someone from the admissions office confirmed that they were notifying people alphabetically. Not exactly a huge logical leap from there.....

Why don't you grow up a little "SkidmarksSniffer" and stop making angry anonymous posts on an online forum like a child.

User avatar
SkidmarksSniffer72
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby SkidmarksSniffer72 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:36 pm

A. The guy I spoke with said they will be sending more acceptances. I asked him directly, and he gave me that as a direct answer.

B. You don't know why I picked SkidmarksSniffer72 ... maybe it has some seriously deep, emotional and sentimental value. Again, you're making assumptions.

C. I'm right and you are wrong. The end. As always, I win.

D. I got accepted into Yale and Georgetown, but I'm not going because I want to get my M.D. first. NBD.


eamonbriggs08 wrote:
SkidmarksSniffer72 wrote:I just called SMU's admission office. It was some guy on the phone, and I told them I heard they are full and not accepting people anymore. He said that's a rumor and it's not true at all. They have until the 30th to make decisions and they can still accept people. So whoever is making this stuff up should stop because you're just trying to freak people out and make them upset. None of you know anything about what's going on in admissions offices and it's really nerdy for you all to make crazy assumptions about what they're doing and thinking.

To be a successful law student, you all will need to think logically and connect the dots for every fact pattern and case you read. You can't jump from "my last name starts with an S and they haven't gotten to me yet" to "they must be accepting people alphabetically."

Stop making things up.


I didn't make anything up, and you are kind of being a jerk for suggesting otherwise. Moreover, if you look at what I QUOTED the lady for the admissions office as saying, nothing if final until it's final. That does not conflict with anything you have just said. Just because they have until the 30th to make more decisions, that does not mean they have any intention to do so. The person you spoke with simply approached the topic more optimistically, suggesting that there was still a chance for more people to be accepted than the lady with whom I spoke.

I also think you need to learn how to read a little bit more closely before you enter law school. Again, someone from the admissions office confirmed that they were notifying people alphabetically. Not exactly a huge logical leap from there.....

Why don't you grow up a little "SkidmarksSniffer" and stop making angry anonymous posts on an online forum like a child.

User avatar
SkidmarksSniffer72
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby SkidmarksSniffer72 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:39 pm

eamonbriggs08 wrote:
SkidmarksSniffer72 wrote:I just called SMU's admission office. It was some guy on the phone, and I told them I heard they are full and not accepting people anymore. He said that's a rumor and it's not true at all. They have until the 30th to make decisions and they can still accept people. So whoever is making this stuff up should stop because you're just trying to freak people out and make them upset. None of you know anything about what's going on in admissions offices and it's really nerdy for you all to make crazy assumptions about what they're doing and thinking.

To be a successful law student, you all will need to think logically and connect the dots for every fact pattern and case you read. You can't jump from "my last name starts with an S and they haven't gotten to me yet" to "they must be accepting people alphabetically."

Stop making things up.


I didn't make anything up, and you are kind of being a jerk for suggesting otherwise. Moreover, if you look at what I QUOTED the lady for the admissions office as saying, nothing if final until it's final. That does not conflict with anything you have just said. Just because they have until the 30th to make more decisions, that does not mean they have any intention to do so. The person you spoke with simply approached the topic more optimistically, suggesting that there was still a chance for more people to be accepted than the lady with whom I spoke.

I also think you need to learn how to read a little bit more closely before you enter law school. Again, someone from the admissions office confirmed that they were notifying people alphabetically. Not exactly a huge logical leap from there.....

Why don't you grow up a little "SkidmarksSniffer" and stop making angry anonymous posts on an online forum like a child.


And PS - maybe you should consider making your name anonymous and taking your picture down. I bet it's safe to assume that admissions offices read these forums. Lets hope you didn't do anything that could hurt your acceptance somewhere ... like, oh I don't knowwww, maybe get irrationally angry over an internet post?!

I think it'd be crazy to advertise who you are on this thing. I won't be mad if you change your name to SkidmarksSniffer73.

dt15
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby dt15 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:51 pm

SkidmarksSniffer72 wrote:D. I got accepted into Yale and Georgetown, but I'm not going because I want to get my M.D. first. NBD.


So you're not going to SMU. Fine. This thread is for people considering SMU.

Get out of our thread. Bye now.

PS: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50988&p=1463382#p1463382
I mean, seriously, man. I call flame.

gator08
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:06 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby gator08 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:00 pm

I just contacted admissions, lady I spoke with was very nice and informed me that seats are still avlb and hopefully everyone will have a final decesion by April 30th.

Being optimistic I hope I get a heavy envelope in the mail shortly thereafter that does not include a waitlist form.

smubound
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:43 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby smubound » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:04 pm

I am with you Gator. Let's be positive and hope we still have a chance.

User avatar
Hook 'Em
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Hook 'Em » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:09 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
Hook 'Em wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:FWIW ...


Dear Humpty Dumpty,

Thank you for your e-mail. Unfortunately, we do not have more funds to offer at this time. We try to make our most generous offers up front, as we do not reserve funds for matching or increasing scholarships. I understand that you have many great offers and we hope that you choose SMU. If you have any questions about attending SMU, please let me know.


Wow, that sucks. I was hoping there was a chance that we would at least receive some consideration for scholarship money. Hopefully, they'll have some withdrawals free up money in the next few weeks.


Hook 'Em ... did you receive a package in the mail yesterday? My letter was dated 4/21 and received via "snail" mail on 4/21. The letter should indicate whether or not you'll be receiving any financial aid so there is still hope.


I received the package, but just glanced at the letter. I was dead from work and the gym. I'll take a look when I get home today to see what it says. Are you 100% set on Baylor, or still holding out hope for SMU?

User avatar
eamonbriggs08
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:35 pm

dt15 wrote:
SkidmarksSniffer72 wrote:D. I got accepted into Yale and Georgetown, but I'm not going because I want to get my M.D. first. NBD.


So you're not going to SMU. Fine. This thread is for people considering SMU.

Get out of our thread. Bye now.

PS: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50988&p=1463382#p1463382
I mean, seriously, man. I call flame.


Agreed. And unlike skidmark, I was in fact careful to not post damaging comments. Reading through your previous posts on other threads, it seems that this isn't the first one in which you've managed to generally annoy everyone in the forum. Congrats on going to get your M.D. first, that certainly fits well with all of the other claims you've made in your previous posts. I'm sure your dad, "the mayor of New York" is very proud of you.

I'd say you're liar who is full of shit, but in truth, it doesn't really matter if you are or not. You are a child who does not belong in this forum and that's all that matters.
Last edited by eamonbriggs08 on Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OasisFan
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby OasisFan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:41 pm

eamonbriggs08 wrote:
dt15 wrote:
SkidmarksSniffer72 wrote:D. I got accepted into Yale and Georgetown, but I'm not going because I want to get my M.D. first. NBD.


So you're not going to SMU. Fine. This thread is for people considering SMU.

Get out of our thread. Bye now.

PS: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50988&p=1463382#p1463382
I mean, seriously, man. I call flame.


Agreed. And unlike you, I was in fact careful to not post damaging comments. Reading through your previous posts on other threads, it seems that this isn't the first one in which you've managed to generally annoy everyone in the forum. Congrats on going to get your M.D. first, that certainly fits well with all of the other claims you've made in your previous posts. I'm sure your dad, "the mayor of New York" is very proud of you.

I'd say you're liar who is full of shit, but in truth, it doesn't really matter if you are or not. You are a child who does not belong in this forum and that's all that matters.


If I may pull a line out of the book of Dr. Gregory House: Just because he is a flame and a liar does not necessarily mean he lying about speaking with the SMU Office of Admissions...but judging by the couple of other people who say that they have also contacted them, I guess it is open to interpretation who we want to believe.

I personally tend to lean more cynically because of the way that this entire Admissions Process is set up, but I will leave you all to your own devices.

User avatar
JD2008
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:31 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby JD2008 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:52 pm

I know people hate the term "waitlist," but people do get off of these lists (and I know a couple of my fellow classmates who did get a last minute acceptance and eventually came to SMU). I have been purusing these forums throughout law school and the feedback from SMU and other law school happens EVERY year. Y'all have no idea how many factors are at play when a law school is about to extend offers; they don't want to over-extend themselves and give out too many offers and have a higher than expected number of students accept.

BTW, if you think waiting for an acceptance to law school is bad, wait until you are waiting for your bar results....now THATS miserable :wink:




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], elcamino4, Imago Loop, Long shot hero, mintme, Torres1893 and 19 guests