Anybody heard back from SMU?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
BigAristotle
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby BigAristotle » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:39 pm

Edit*

Changed to a PM to Chadwick.

OasisFan
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby OasisFan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:49 pm

masondixon wrote:
OasisFan wrote:
eamonbriggs08 wrote:Mine says, "Held for further review" (I applied Early Decision), and I am a 160/3.58



+1

"Held For Further Review" Date:01/29/09

3.66/159


+1

3.76/159

y'all think we'll hear by friday?


I hate to be the bearer of Bad News, but I think SMU is done notifying. They were so unbelievebly BushLeague this cycle...truly disappointing

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:52 pm

OasisFan, you crack me up!

OasisFan
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby OasisFan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:53 pm

chadwick218 wrote:OasisFan, you crack me up!


I learned how to live my life from the Gallagher Brothers...what do you expect?? 8)

User avatar
BigAristotle
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby BigAristotle » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:54 pm

OasisFan wrote:I hate to be the bearer of Bad News, but I think SMU is done notifying. They were so unbelievebly BushLeague this cycle...truly disappointing


Based on LSN, SMU typically sends out decisions all Wed. Thurs. and Friday in the final week of April.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:00 pm

Additionally, per LSN, there appears to be a considerable number of applicants who have yet to receive a response ... there is still hope!

I also think that a lot of the so-called early "deposits" were people depositing at multiple schools ...

OasisFan
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby OasisFan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:51 pm

chadwick218 wrote:Additionally, per LSN, there appears to be a considerable number of applicants who have yet to receive a response ... there is still hope!

I also think that a lot of the so-called early "deposits" were people depositing at multiple schools ...


Let's hope you're right

tcwhat
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:33 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby tcwhat » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:02 am

I'm still waiting - app held for review during 1/29 notice

3.18/170

smiley26
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:21 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby smiley26 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:33 am

mine still says "application complete" since 1/9/09

could that be a rejection? :shock:

smubound
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:43 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby smubound » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:49 am

I have a sad feeling they are done and now everyone else will be waitlisted or rejected. I really wanted to go there so now it is between Oklahoma or Denver. Both gave me pretty good scholarships. Please SMU give a girl a break. I want to stay in Dallas.

160/3.56

User avatar
eamonbriggs08
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:55 am

OasisFan wrote:
masondixon wrote:
OasisFan wrote:
eamonbriggs08 wrote:Mine says, "Held for further review" (I applied Early Decision), and I am a 160/3.58



+1

"Held For Further Review" Date:01/29/09

3.66/159


+1

3.76/159

y'all think we'll hear by friday?


I hate to be the bearer of Bad News, but I think SMU is done notifying. They were so unbelievebly BushLeague this cycle...truly disappointing


What makes you think that?

smubound
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:43 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby smubound » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:08 am

We both have about the same numbers. What is your 2nd choice if SMU does not come through for you?

OasisFan
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby OasisFan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:17 am

smubound wrote:I have a sad feeling they are done and now everyone else will be waitlisted or rejected. I really wanted to go there so now it is between Oklahoma or Denver. Both gave me pretty good scholarships. Please SMU give a girl a break. I want to stay in Dallas.

160/3.56


+1

I want to stay in Dallas as well...throw me a bone SMU!

User avatar
Rocky Estoppel
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:18 am

"Complete" since 1/22 :?

User avatar
eamonbriggs08
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:20 am

DAMN IT!, Oasis was right.

To confirm what Oasis just said, I decided to call the admissions office a few minutes ago. I said, "I applied for fall 2009 as a full time J.D. student, and I have heard rumors that there are no more spots left. Could you tell me if SMU still plans to give out any additional acceptances to the full time program?"

The lady said, "Well, there are still applications being reviewed so nothing is final 'til it's final, but yes we are basically done."

Part of me feels like I would have rather not known (which also makes me want to not submit this post out of consideration for the rest of you who still have hope), but the other part of me is very relieved that I can start to move on. Best of luck to everyone! Hit me up if you are going to Houston Law and want to chat about apartments and such.

OasisFan
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby OasisFan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:24 am

eamonbriggs08 wrote:DAMN IT!, Oasis was right.

To confirm what Oasis just said, I decided to call the admissions office a few minutes ago. I said, "I applied for fall 2009 as a full time J.D. student, and I have heard rumors that there are no more spots left. Could you tell me if SMU still plans to give out any additional acceptances to the full time program?"

The lady said, "Well, there are still applications being reviewed so nothing is final 'til it's final, but yes we are basically done."

Part of me feels like I would have rather not known (which also makes me want to not submit this post out of consideration for the rest of you who still have hope), but the other part of me is very relieved that I can start to move on. Best of luck to everyone! Hit me up if you are going to Houston Law and want to chat about apartments and such.


Yup...although I am alright with getting into their PT program...and I called and left them a voicemail on monday and nobody has called me back. So I don't know what I'm going to do, I def don't wanna step on any toes. And at least you're in at UHLC...They have been giving me the runaround as well!

Rachyk
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:07 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Rachyk » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:36 am

Wow that really sucks. Oh well I guess I am off to Malibu!

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby chadwick218 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:43 am

For anyone who has seen the recent publication, did USNWR disclose salary figures for SMUs PT program? Everytime that I have discussed this with the admissions office, I am told that both employment prospects and salary figures are on par with the FT program. However, current students that I have spoken with seem to believe otherwise ...

pammons
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:10 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby pammons » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:36 am

Thanks for killing the dream Eamon.

For the peeps that get waitlisted, the admissions guy I met with yesterday said that this year an unusual number of people put down seat deposits. Three times more than usual, somehow he alluded that this had to do with the economy and that he would be really surprised if everyone who deposited decides to attend in the fall.

So for the people like me, that have sh*t for backup school. The dream is still alive and the glass is half full.

User avatar
sapereaude2012
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:11 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby sapereaude2012 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:49 am

I'm wondering if I should call and ask about my status, or if this would just be a thorn in the adcomms side. Does anybody think that at this point a phone call would serve as a means to show I'm still interested (I haven't heard anything at all yet), or just be interpreted as nagging?

Lizzy081881
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:07 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Lizzy081881 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:53 am

My dad is a partner with a large firm in Downtown Dallas. He really likes the PT he said their firm is more than willing to hire students from PT. Unfortunately does nothing for me... darn nepotism. Also if it helps anyone deciding bw Baylor and SMU... His personal preference is Baylor bc of it's litigation reputation.

Rachyk
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:07 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Rachyk » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:56 am

Personally I would not call. Yesterday when I called they were less then happy to have what seemed like yet another person call and ask about their app. status. They did not even ask for my name or any information and told me to look at my checker online.

smubound
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:43 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby smubound » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:57 am

Does anyone know when the next deposit is due?

pammons
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:10 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby pammons » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:59 am

sapereaude2012 wrote:I'm wondering if I should call and ask about my status, or if this would just be a thorn in the adcomms side. Does anybody think that at this point a phone call would serve as a means to show I'm still interested (I haven't heard anything at all yet), or just be interpreted as nagging?


As a fellow student whose application hasnt been decided upon, I would say leave them alone. So they can get thier stuff done. However, for the most part the people I have talked to the last few weeks have been really nice (busy) but nice, however they don't really give much information out that you couldn't read here or your online status. If you wanna make a better impression I think meeting personally with the admissions people (a tour or what not) and not mentioning your status would probably make a greater, more positive impression.

User avatar
sapereaude2012
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:11 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby sapereaude2012 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:02 pm

pammons wrote:
sapereaude2012 wrote:I'm wondering if I should call and ask about my status, or if this would just be a thorn in the adcomms side. Does anybody think that at this point a phone call would serve as a means to show I'm still interested (I haven't heard anything at all yet), or just be interpreted as nagging?


As a fellow student whose application hasnt been decided upon, I would say leave them alone. So they can get thier stuff done. However, for the most part the people I have talked to the last few weeks have been really nice (busy) but nice, however they don't really give much information out that you couldn't read here or your online status. If you wanna make a better impression I think meeting personally with the admissions people (a tour or what not) and not mentioning your status would probably make a greater, more positive impression.


Thanks for the input, that's what I was thinking. I live in Kansas, so I can't really justify taking off work/school to drive down to Dallas until I have some sort of decision from them. I appreciate your help, and best of luck to you!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ad34964n, AJ1010, AlexanderJordan, BrittanyJeream, canafsa, carlos_danger, Chipotle85, Cjsanders2, genjustice, Google Adsense [Bot], judill, Keilz, Leliana, lillawyer2, Maaza, mcblake, reillyg, sec_undergrad, ssolli, theothercat and 57 guests