Anybody heard back from SMU? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BigAristotle

Bronze

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Post by BigAristotle » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:39 pm

Edit*

Changed to a PM to Chadwick.

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:49 pm

masondixon wrote:
OasisFan wrote:
eamonbriggs08 wrote:Mine says, "Held for further review" (I applied Early Decision), and I am a 160/3.58

+1

"Held For Further Review" Date:01/29/09

3.66/159
+1

3.76/159

y'all think we'll hear by friday?
I hate to be the bearer of Bad News, but I think SMU is done notifying. They were so unbelievebly BushLeague this cycle...truly disappointing

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:52 pm

OasisFan, you crack me up!

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:53 pm

chadwick218 wrote:OasisFan, you crack me up!
I learned how to live my life from the Gallagher Brothers...what do you expect?? 8)

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:54 pm

OasisFan wrote: I hate to be the bearer of Bad News, but I think SMU is done notifying. They were so unbelievebly BushLeague this cycle...truly disappointing
Based on LSN, SMU typically sends out decisions all Wed. Thurs. and Friday in the final week of April.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:00 pm

Additionally, per LSN, there appears to be a considerable number of applicants who have yet to receive a response ... there is still hope!

I also think that a lot of the so-called early "deposits" were people depositing at multiple schools ...

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:51 pm

chadwick218 wrote:Additionally, per LSN, there appears to be a considerable number of applicants who have yet to receive a response ... there is still hope!

I also think that a lot of the so-called early "deposits" were people depositing at multiple schools ...
Let's hope you're right

tcwhat

New

Post by tcwhat » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:02 am

I'm still waiting - app held for review during 1/29 notice

3.18/170

smiley26

New

Post by smiley26 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:33 am

mine still says "application complete" since 1/9/09

could that be a rejection? :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

smubound

New

Post by smubound » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:49 am

I have a sad feeling they are done and now everyone else will be waitlisted or rejected. I really wanted to go there so now it is between Oklahoma or Denver. Both gave me pretty good scholarships. Please SMU give a girl a break. I want to stay in Dallas.

160/3.56

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:55 am

OasisFan wrote:
masondixon wrote:
OasisFan wrote:
eamonbriggs08 wrote:Mine says, "Held for further review" (I applied Early Decision), and I am a 160/3.58

+1

"Held For Further Review" Date:01/29/09

3.66/159
+1

3.76/159

y'all think we'll hear by friday?
I hate to be the bearer of Bad News, but I think SMU is done notifying. They were so unbelievebly BushLeague this cycle...truly disappointing
What makes you think that?

smubound

New

Post by smubound » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:08 am

We both have about the same numbers. What is your 2nd choice if SMU does not come through for you?

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:17 am

smubound wrote:I have a sad feeling they are done and now everyone else will be waitlisted or rejected. I really wanted to go there so now it is between Oklahoma or Denver. Both gave me pretty good scholarships. Please SMU give a girl a break. I want to stay in Dallas.

160/3.56
+1

I want to stay in Dallas as well...throw me a bone SMU!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:18 am

"Complete" since 1/22 :?

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:20 am

DAMN IT!, Oasis was right.

To confirm what Oasis just said, I decided to call the admissions office a few minutes ago. I said, "I applied for fall 2009 as a full time J.D. student, and I have heard rumors that there are no more spots left. Could you tell me if SMU still plans to give out any additional acceptances to the full time program?"

The lady said, "Well, there are still applications being reviewed so nothing is final 'til it's final, but yes we are basically done."

Part of me feels like I would have rather not known (which also makes me want to not submit this post out of consideration for the rest of you who still have hope), but the other part of me is very relieved that I can start to move on. Best of luck to everyone! Hit me up if you are going to Houston Law and want to chat about apartments and such.

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:24 am

eamonbriggs08 wrote:DAMN IT!, Oasis was right.

To confirm what Oasis just said, I decided to call the admissions office a few minutes ago. I said, "I applied for fall 2009 as a full time J.D. student, and I have heard rumors that there are no more spots left. Could you tell me if SMU still plans to give out any additional acceptances to the full time program?"

The lady said, "Well, there are still applications being reviewed so nothing is final 'til it's final, but yes we are basically done."

Part of me feels like I would have rather not known (which also makes me want to not submit this post out of consideration for the rest of you who still have hope), but the other part of me is very relieved that I can start to move on. Best of luck to everyone! Hit me up if you are going to Houston Law and want to chat about apartments and such.
Yup...although I am alright with getting into their PT program...and I called and left them a voicemail on monday and nobody has called me back. So I don't know what I'm going to do, I def don't wanna step on any toes. And at least you're in at UHLC...They have been giving me the runaround as well!

Rachyk

New

Post by Rachyk » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:36 am

Wow that really sucks. Oh well I guess I am off to Malibu!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:43 am

For anyone who has seen the recent publication, did USNWR disclose salary figures for SMUs PT program? Everytime that I have discussed this with the admissions office, I am told that both employment prospects and salary figures are on par with the FT program. However, current students that I have spoken with seem to believe otherwise ...

pammons

New

Post by pammons » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:36 am

Thanks for killing the dream Eamon.

For the peeps that get waitlisted, the admissions guy I met with yesterday said that this year an unusual number of people put down seat deposits. Three times more than usual, somehow he alluded that this had to do with the economy and that he would be really surprised if everyone who deposited decides to attend in the fall.

So for the people like me, that have sh*t for backup school. The dream is still alive and the glass is half full.

sapereaude2012

New

Post by sapereaude2012 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:49 am

I'm wondering if I should call and ask about my status, or if this would just be a thorn in the adcomms side. Does anybody think that at this point a phone call would serve as a means to show I'm still interested (I haven't heard anything at all yet), or just be interpreted as nagging?

Lizzy081881

New

Post by Lizzy081881 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:53 am

My dad is a partner with a large firm in Downtown Dallas. He really likes the PT he said their firm is more than willing to hire students from PT. Unfortunately does nothing for me... darn nepotism. Also if it helps anyone deciding bw Baylor and SMU... His personal preference is Baylor bc of it's litigation reputation.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rachyk

New

Post by Rachyk » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:56 am

Personally I would not call. Yesterday when I called they were less then happy to have what seemed like yet another person call and ask about their app. status. They did not even ask for my name or any information and told me to look at my checker online.

smubound

New

Post by smubound » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:57 am

Does anyone know when the next deposit is due?

pammons

New

Post by pammons » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:59 am

sapereaude2012 wrote:I'm wondering if I should call and ask about my status, or if this would just be a thorn in the adcomms side. Does anybody think that at this point a phone call would serve as a means to show I'm still interested (I haven't heard anything at all yet), or just be interpreted as nagging?
As a fellow student whose application hasnt been decided upon, I would say leave them alone. So they can get thier stuff done. However, for the most part the people I have talked to the last few weeks have been really nice (busy) but nice, however they don't really give much information out that you couldn't read here or your online status. If you wanna make a better impression I think meeting personally with the admissions people (a tour or what not) and not mentioning your status would probably make a greater, more positive impression.

sapereaude2012

New

Post by sapereaude2012 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:02 pm

pammons wrote:
sapereaude2012 wrote:I'm wondering if I should call and ask about my status, or if this would just be a thorn in the adcomms side. Does anybody think that at this point a phone call would serve as a means to show I'm still interested (I haven't heard anything at all yet), or just be interpreted as nagging?
As a fellow student whose application hasnt been decided upon, I would say leave them alone. So they can get thier stuff done. However, for the most part the people I have talked to the last few weeks have been really nice (busy) but nice, however they don't really give much information out that you couldn't read here or your online status. If you wanna make a better impression I think meeting personally with the admissions people (a tour or what not) and not mentioning your status would probably make a greater, more positive impression.
Thanks for the input, that's what I was thinking. I live in Kansas, so I can't really justify taking off work/school to drive down to Dallas until I have some sort of decision from them. I appreciate your help, and best of luck to you!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”