Anybody heard back from SMU?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
BigAristotle
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby BigAristotle » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:07 am

betasteve wrote:
Vandypepe wrote:SMU has definitely yield protected its way out of some quality students.

I guess that's why it's ranked where it is now.

Looking at LSN over the past years - data doesn't support the assertion that they yield protect.


Betasteve is correct. I noticed a 172/2.2 WL, Accept, and a few 164 low 3.x and 2.x WLs, & 166, 3.36 reject over the past few years lends itself that SMU does not YP, and are LSAT whores.

Rachyk wrote:Does anybody know what time the acceptance calls generally went out? Also did the status checker actually change before it happened? Mine has unfortunately been stuck on complete since 1/22 :(


Does anyone know the answer to this?

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby chadwick218 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:10 am

betasteve wrote:
Vandypepe wrote:SMU has definitely yield protected its way out of some quality students.

I guess that's why it's ranked where it is now.

Looking at LSN over the past years - data doesn't support the assertion that they yield protect.


+1 ... agreed ... per LSN going back 4 years, the lowest LSAT score to be rejected was a 158 and the lowest GPA with an LSAT score of at least 158 or higher to be rejected was a 3.36 ...

User avatar
sapereaude2012
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:11 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby sapereaude2012 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:27 pm

My theory is that SMU isn't YP'ing but that they have admitted the high numbers that they want for their medians right now, and are waiting to send out admissions to people that don't really help or hurt until they see who is depositing.

If more people with 165 and 3.75 have deposited, they might be more willing to take a 160 3.8 than if the majority of their 165+ scores have been withdrawing. So not really YP in the traditional sense, but essentially the same thing. Somewhat secure their medians, and then let people in as soon as they've done this. Any thoughts?

OasisFan
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby OasisFan » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:32 pm

sapereaude2012 wrote:My theory is that SMU isn't YP'ing but that they have admitted the high numbers that they want for their medians right now, and are waiting to send out admissions to people that don't really help or hurt until they see who is depositing.

If more people with 165 and 3.75 have deposited, they might be more willing to take a 160 3.8 than if the majority of their 165+ scores have been withdrawing. So not really YP in the traditional sense, but essentially the same thing. Somewhat secure their medians, and then let people in as soon as they've done this. Any thoughts?


Ordinarily that is what the "Evening Program" is for though, it's for the students they really liked, but whose numbers would hurt their medians. I think with the PT rankings coming out, some schools are beginning to adopt the same rigid LSAT based admissions practices for their Part-Time programs as well.

Rachyk
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:07 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Rachyk » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:48 pm

Well its 3 and still no sign of any phone calls............I guess we are all stuck waiting another week.

User avatar
sapereaude2012
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:11 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby sapereaude2012 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:55 pm

betasteve wrote:
sapereaude2012 wrote:My theory is that SMU isn't YP'ing but that they have admitted the high numbers that they want for their medians right now, and are waiting to send out admissions to people that don't really help or hurt until they see who is depositing.

If more people with 165 and 3.75 have deposited, they might be more willing to take a 160 3.8 than if the majority of their 165+ scores have been withdrawing. So not really YP in the traditional sense, but essentially the same thing. Somewhat secure their medians, and then let people in as soon as they've done this. Any thoughts?

This sounds like the strategy of every single law school trying to raise their numbers.


Well kind of, but most schools don't leave a large portion of applicants hanging with no response beyond deposit deadlines.

Lizzy081881
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:07 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Lizzy081881 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:10 pm

So is it the consensus that if we haven't heard yet we may still have a shot? When do they usually send out rejection letters? I'm so nervous!!!

User avatar
eamonbriggs08
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:35 am

Lizzy081881 wrote:So is it the consensus that if we haven't heard yet we may still have a shot? When do they usually send out rejection letters? I'm so nervous!!!


I think we all are. eek!

Go_Canucks!!
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:30 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Go_Canucks!! » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:36 am

Oasis...I'm still hoping you'll get in. What other schools have you applied to ?

OasisFan
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby OasisFan » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:50 am

Go_Canucks!! wrote:Oasis...I'm still hoping you'll get in. What other schools have you applied to ?


I appreciate it...this cycle has been pretty unforgiving to me.

In: Miami

Maybe: American, Tulane

Out: Texas, Baylor (Fall and Summer)

Not Heard: UH, SMU, Maryland, Texas Tech

3.66 and a 159 :roll:

Go_Canucks!!
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:30 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Go_Canucks!! » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:05 pm

Dude congrats !!!! Don't sweat SMU, because you got into a great law school down there in Florida. Did you get a scholarship ?

smiley26
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:21 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby smiley26 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:46 am

Just FYI:

Out of Office: letter of continued interest for Dean Keehan - please forward as necessary‏

From: Keehan, Virginia (vkeehan@mail.smu.edu)
Sent: Sun 4/19/09 7:45 AM
To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I am out of the office on maternity leave. I will be returning at the end of May. Please e-mail lawadmit@smu.edu for assistance in my absence.

kmcquire
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:56 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby kmcquire » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:36 pm

Rachyk wrote:
Does anybody know what time the acceptance calls generally went out? Also did the status checker actually change before it happened? Mine has unfortunately been stuck on complete since 1/22


Does anyone know the answer to this?


I got accepted a long ways back, I can't even remember what month it was, but I do remember that they called me on a Friday morning. I was accepted in the first round of applications with a 164 and a 3.6, but I withdrew my acceptance about a month ago, so I hope someone on here gets my spot!

OasisFan
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby OasisFan » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:36 pm

smiley26 wrote:Just FYI:

Out of Office: letter of continued interest for Dean Keehan - please forward as necessary‏

From: Keehan, Virginia (vkeehan@mail.smu.edu)
Sent: Sun 4/19/09 7:45 AM
To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I am out of the office on maternity leave. I will be returning at the end of May. Please e-mail lawadmit@smu.edu for assistance in my absence.


Indeed...she mentioned this at her Evening Program Session, but I honestly don't know how much of a say so she has in the way they make decisions and stuff.

User avatar
BigAristotle
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby BigAristotle » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:51 am

So discussion around the new USNWR rankings, SMU about the same at 49, same with Houston at 59, Baylor fell 10 to 65 though. Looks like Chadwick was right in his prediction for 2010.
Last edited by BigAristotle on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:12 am

The pdf that I saw showed SMU falling to a tie at 49 ... gotta be honest here, given that Baylor fell to 65th, it really makes me think twice about attending Baylor ...

jadedV
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:06 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby jadedV » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:43 am

I know rankings shouldn't mean that much, but I hate to see that SMU fell to #49. I really hope SMU does not fall out of the top 50. But that's just me.

smiley87
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby smiley87 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:45 am

what SMU needs to do is call back all accepted applicants with 164 and ~3.5 that have withdrawn and offer them more money.... i'd drop every other school for you in a heartbeat, smu. i can be your 25thpercentile!!! call mee!!! please!!! you're my first love!

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:45 am

Part-Time Rankings:
1. GULC
2. GW
3. Fordham
4. American
5. GMU
6. Maryland
7. Temple
7. San Diego
9. Denver
10. Chicago Kent
link: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69258

I am rather surprised that SMU is not on this list ...

User avatar
BigAristotle
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby BigAristotle » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:47 am

----------GPA----------LSAT-------Acceptance%---07 Grads Employed----Bar %
49. SMU--3.29-3.85---154-165-----29%------------81.4%-----------------92.6%

59. UofH--3.12-3.67---154-163-----29%------------80.2%-----------------89.9%

65. Baylor-3.39-3.79---156-162-----33%------------61.2%-----------------98.5%

15. UTexas-3.42-3.82--164-168-----25%------------96.8%-----------------88.5%

TTT
Texas Tech-3.2-3.7----154-159-----34%------------N/A--------------------90.3%


Just for comparison sake; that employment number is staggering though.
Last edited by BigAristotle on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:52 am

Indeed, that's what did Baylor in this year ... if anything, I am now needing SMU to give me a call more than ever ...

smiley87
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby smiley87 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:57 am

do you think i could call smu back and said i was joking about withdrawing? my stats are in their median so i might help them out too....
:roll: :oops:

and maybe possibly keep my scholarship if possible?! or is this a little shameless

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:04 am

smiley87 wrote:do you think i could call smu back and said i was joking about withdrawing? my stats are in their median so i might help them out too....
:roll: :oops:

and maybe possibly keep my scholarship if possible?! or is this a little shameless


it's worth a try ... just spin it as a family situation is preventing your from attending college elsewhere ...

jadedV
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:06 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby jadedV » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:24 am

Chadwick, I'm still surprised that they haven't called you yet. Do you think they're holding your application because they've recongized that you've applied twice before and did not attend?

jadedV
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:06 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby jadedV » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:25 am

PS - Are a ton of Baylor 0L's going to try and jump ship to SMU now?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ashrice13, blackpi, derekne, DumbHollywoodActor, JD_Kingfish, lg77, mm2368, notnecessarilyproper, okf731, Pomegranate27, smashbash, TAD, WamBam and 27 guests