Anybody heard back from SMU?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BigAristotle

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby BigAristotle » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:23 pm

You've been deferred. Whats the date on your Status Update? Did you apply Early Action?

gator08

Postby gator08 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:30 pm

BigAristotle wrote:You've been deferred. Whats the date on your Status Update? Did you apply Early Action?

I did early action. Deferred? I thought deferring was being admitted and enrolling the next year. So they basically deferred making a decesion on my app. apparantly

masondixon

Postby masondixon » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:56 pm

ive deposited at pepperdine. dallas vs malibu...hmm. why am i still waiting on smu again?

and as for the deferral, i think we are all in that boat. i went complete in september and have been deferred since january. is this really that much different than a waitlist?

gator08

Postby gator08 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:03 pm

masondixon wrote:ive deposited at pepperdine. dallas vs malibu...hmm. why am i still waiting on smu again?

and as for the deferral, i think we are all in that boat. i went complete in september and have been deferred since january. is this really that much different than a waitlist?

My thoughts precisely.

Hook 'Em

Postby Hook 'Em » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:08 pm

sapereaude2012 wrote:
BigAristotle wrote:I think about a week makes sense; because I believe the 15th was just the postmark date of it. And historically, SMU sends out a batch of acceptances in the first week of April or so; then another batch at the end, and everyone else gets waitlisted.

So have all of you still waiting deposited at other schools?

Yep, I deposited at Illinois. Their ASD was awesome, and I definitely could see myself spending 3 years there. SMU was my original #1 choice when I started seriously considering law school in April 08, so I can't turn my back on my first love :? .

eamonbriggs08

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:14 pm

masondixon wrote:ive deposited at pepperdine. dallas vs malibu...hmm. why am i still waiting on smu again?

AMEN.

gator08

Postby gator08 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:12 am

What are the odds SMU hasn't filled its class by the time they get around to looking at deferred apps later this month?

While reading some of the posts here regarding deposit due dates, the thought occured to me that they may be at capacity.

sapereaude2012

Postby sapereaude2012 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:43 am

+1. I've deposited at Pepperdine and George Mason. Dallas vs. DC or Malibu. I need to re-read my why Dallas essay...

pammons

Postby pammons » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:55 am

BigAristotle wrote:I think about a week makes sense; because I believe the 15th was just the postmark date of it. And historically, SMU sends out a batch of acceptances in the first week of April or so; then another batch at the end, and everyone else gets waitlisted.

Seriously? This waitlisting business continues? But most people will know their fate by the end of April, right?

Anyone think a LOCI at this point will make a difference? I haven't been waitlisted or anything, but would shave my head to go to SMU and willing to jump any hurdle necessary.

BigAristotle

Postby BigAristotle » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:06 pm

pammons wrote:

Seriously? This waitlisting business continues? But most people will know their fate by the end of April, right?

Anyone think a LOCI at this point will make a difference? I haven't been waitlisted or anything, but would shave my head to go to SMU and willing to jump any hurdle necessary.

Historically SMU sends out their last acceptances on the final Friday of the month of their deadline (April in recent years, March before that). Everyone else seems to get waitlisted. (This is all based off the relatively small sample size found on lawschoolnumbers).

In my opinion (totally conjecture), SMU has probably made up their decisions on who they are admitting, but are waiting to see how seat deposits and the like come back, and then start letting in others. I'm not sure how much a LOCI will help right now, since its hard to imagine the committee still working on acceptances, it can't hurt if you get WLed, though.

bcb1986

Postby bcb1986 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:24 pm

pammons wrote:

nontradintexas

Postby nontradintexas » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:30 pm

bcb1986 wrote:
pammons wrote:

I didn't know Lance Armstrong ran track.

pammons

Postby pammons » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:39 pm

Thanks for your response BigA.
bcb1986 wrote:Image

I was meant shaving the hair on my head, but you came up with skin. Which is...interesting, I wont judge. I suppose that outside of the box thinking is going to help you later on. :P

nontradintexas wrote:
I didn't know Lance Armstrong ran track.

BTW,
cancer jokes = hilarious

OasisFan

Postby OasisFan » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:32 pm

By the sounds of it, it seems like those of us who have not heard are just gonna get waitlisted? bummer

gator08

Postby gator08 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:37 pm

OasisFan wrote:By the sounds of it, it seems like those of us who have not heard are just gonna get waitlisted? bummer

My feelings exactly. I'm sick of this wait list sh*t.

masondixon

Postby masondixon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:48 pm

gator08 wrote:
OasisFan wrote:By the sounds of it, it seems like those of us who have not heard are just gonna get waitlisted? bummer

ditto. i have been less than impressed with smu's admissions office. all my other schools have done a tremendous job of recruiting and making me feel wanted there. smu - not at all.

BigAristotle

Postby BigAristotle » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:00 pm

I don't believe that those that haven't heard are waitlisted. It comes down to how many seat deposits are left. I think next Friday is D-Day; and after that, its a waitlist.

nychopeful

Postby nychopeful » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:31 pm

I deposited at Stetson and golden gate, since one is right here at the beach and the other is essentially "free" and that way it wont be a crazy moving plan change if i don't hear back from any other schools, but it was $500 non-refundable for the one, and $300 partially refundable for the other.

However if I'm in at SMU, I'm there all the way.

I sent the checks Monday, I figured after I spent the $800, acceptances would immediately arrive in my mailbox from other schools, haha.... but they haven't :(

eamonbriggs08

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:33 pm

BigAristotle wrote:I don't believe that those that haven't heard are waitlisted. It comes down to how many seat deposits are left. I think next Friday is D-Day; and after that, its a waitlist.

Agreed, though somewhat wishfully.

eamonbriggs08

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:35 pm

masondixon wrote:
gator08 wrote:

ditto. i have been less than impressed with smu's admissions office. all my other schools have done a tremendous job of recruiting and making me feel wanted there. smu - not at all.

I think most people would agree though they at least beat out Houston's office.

OasisFan

Postby OasisFan » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:15 pm

eamonbriggs08 wrote:
masondixon wrote:
gator08 wrote:

I think most people would agree though they at least beat out Houston's office.

SMU is very quick to reply to emails and stuff, but unfortunately when it comes to matters of substance, they're pretty useless.

Sadly my top 2 choices (UH & SMU) have the least effective admissions offices in the country...woe is me

critten

Postby critten » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:18 am

drama queen.

OasisFan

Postby OasisFan » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:36 am

critten wrote:drama queen.

immature :roll:

Rachyk

Postby Rachyk » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:21 am

Does anybody know what time the acceptance calls generally went out? Also did the status checker actually change before it happened? Mine has unfortunately been stuck on complete since 1/22 :(

Vandypepe

Postby Vandypepe » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:32 am

SMU has definitely yield protected its way out of some quality students.

I guess that's why it's ranked where it is now.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”