Anybody heard back from SMU?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
eamonbriggs08
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:03 pm

If your deposit is due tomorrow, how are you planning on paying on time?

elin
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:52 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby elin » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:56 pm

It has to be postmarked by the 15th and I should be fine.

OasisFan
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby OasisFan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:44 pm

Has anyone who was "held for further review" been notified yet?? or are we just gonna be put on the chopping block

perin
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:45 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby perin » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Well if this helps someone who used to work for u of h admissions told me SMU will continue rising in the rankings and expect U of H to fall. I guess that makes sense if you think about U of H's lack of scholarships this cycle and horrible admissions department. SMU's rise to prominence is quite impressive. They weren't even on the map a decade ago.

User avatar
Hook 'Em
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Hook 'Em » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:43 am

Did anyone else's status date change last night? I logged in to the status checker this morning, and saw that the date has changed to 4/14 (status still shows that my application is complete). Also, it shows JD Evening as my degree choice (I applied for the day and evening program). SMU is the last decision I'm really waiting on, so hopefully we'll all hear something soon.

User avatar
unfgolfer14
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:10 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby unfgolfer14 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:48 am

Hook 'Em wrote:Did anyone else's status date change last night? I logged in to the status checker this morning, and saw that the date has changed to 4/14 (status still shows that my application is complete). Also, it shows JD Evening as my degree choice (I applied for the day and evening program). SMU is the last decision I'm really waiting on, so hopefully we'll all hear something soon.


Per the website "You may notice that your current status date has changed. This is either because a portion of your file has been updated or the initial review of your file has been completed. Nither of these situations change your early, regular, or late decision standing. We are unable to release decisions by phone or email. All final decisions will be mailed. "

User avatar
Hook 'Em
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Hook 'Em » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:25 am

^^^

I noticed that also, but was just was wondering if anyone else had noticed a date change. Thanks for the quick response, though.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby chadwick218 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:06 am

My status checker did the very same thing. About two weeks ago, I requested to be considered PT only. I decided that if admitted to SMU, I will likely work for the university in a non-law related capacity during the day in the hopes of covering tuition after the first year.

Now all that SMU has to do is call me!

User avatar
BigAristotle
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby BigAristotle » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:12 am

No change here, but FT only here.

User avatar
unfgolfer14
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:10 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby unfgolfer14 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:17 am

Hook 'Em wrote:^^^

I noticed that also, but was just was wondering if anyone else had noticed a date change. Thanks for the quick response, though.


Haha no problem - us early birds have to stick together.

User avatar
bcb1986
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:36 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby bcb1986 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:31 am

back in january, those who changed to jd-evening were admitted later that week (probably via phone call friday, i can't remember) to the evening program. those of us who applied for both and whose complete dates just changed (without going to the "jd-evening" in the program line were) admitted via phone call on friday to the day program

Good luck! I hope good news is on the way for all of you!

User avatar
eamonbriggs08
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:52 am

No change here.

Would someone who has been accepted give some clarity on deposit due dates? It seems like there has been a lull in acceptances for the last week or so, and I'm trying to figure out when the next batch might be coming out.

I wonder how many more rounds they have left before they just put the remaining applicants on the waitlist.

If SMU accepts me I am definitely going to enroll there. Anyone here that is still waiting for a decision (and not waitlisted) send an LOCI yet?

User avatar
BigAristotle
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby BigAristotle » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:02 pm

After I was deferred, I sent a LOCI in February, updating with a new job and my interest in specific programs. I then sent another letter stating I would attend SMU unequivocally if accepted late March before flying down there on 4/1 for an interview/tour, etc.

No decision here yet.

elin
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:52 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby elin » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:04 pm

eamonbriggs08 wrote:No change here.

Would someone who has been accepted give some clarity on deposit due dates? It seems like there has been a lull in acceptances for the last week or so, and I'm trying to figure out when the next batch might be coming out.

I wonder how many more rounds they have left before they just put the remaining applicants on the waitlist.

If SMU accepts me I am definitely going to enroll there. Anyone here that is still waiting for a decision (and not waitlisted) send an LOCI yet?

I know there is one deposit due today, April 15th for the amount of $100. The second deposit is at the beginning of June, I believe June 1st in the amount of $300. And then there is one deposit left, but I haven't thought that far. Hope that helps, and good luck to all of you guys still waiting. SMU seems like a great school.

OasisFan
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby OasisFan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:20 pm

Well it's good that there are signs of life at the SMU Admissions Office...my status checker hasn't changed though. still 01/29/09 :evil:

User avatar
sapereaude2012
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:11 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby sapereaude2012 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:56 pm

OasisFan wrote:Well it's good that there are signs of life at the SMU Admissions Office...my status checker hasn't changed though. still 01/29/09 :evil:


Ditto. Still 2/19/09

User avatar
Hook 'Em
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Hook 'Em » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:00 pm

bcb1986 wrote:back in january, those who changed to jd-evening were admitted later that week (probably via phone call friday, i can't remember) to the evening program. those of us who applied for both and whose complete dates just changed (without going to the "jd-evening" in the program line were) admitted via phone call on friday to the day program

Good luck! I hope good news is on the way for all of you!


Thanks for the info. Hopefully this means that good news is on the way. Good luck to everyone else out there anxiously awaiting a decision.

User avatar
bcb1986
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:36 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby bcb1986 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:38 pm

eamonbriggs08 wrote:No change here.

Would someone who has been accepted give some clarity on deposit due dates? It seems like there has been a lull in acceptances for the last week or so, and I'm trying to figure out when the next batch might be coming out.

I wonder how many more rounds they have left before they just put the remaining applicants on the waitlist.

If SMU accepts me I am definitely going to enroll there. Anyone here that is still waiting for a decision (and not waitlisted) send an LOCI yet?

- ED Deposit #1: $100, postmarked by April 1 (in my admission letter)
- RD Deposit #1: $100, postmarked by April 15 (from what I've heard)
- All Deposit #2: $300, postmarked by June 1 (in my admission letter)

User avatar
eamonbriggs08
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:42 pm

bcb1986 wrote:
eamonbriggs08 wrote:No change here.

Would someone who has been accepted give some clarity on deposit due dates? It seems like there has been a lull in acceptances for the last week or so, and I'm trying to figure out when the next batch might be coming out.

I wonder how many more rounds they have left before they just put the remaining applicants on the waitlist.

If SMU accepts me I am definitely going to enroll there. Anyone here that is still waiting for a decision (and not waitlisted) send an LOCI yet?

- ED Deposit #1: $100, postmarked by April 1 (in my admission letter)
- RD Deposit #1: $100, postmarked by April 15 (from what I've heard)
- All Deposit #2: $300, postmarked by June 1 (in my admission letter)



Nice summary. We should all have major movement this time next week after the final RD deposits arrive.

User avatar
masondixon
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby masondixon » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:47 pm

eamonbriggs08 wrote:
bcb1986 wrote:
eamonbriggs08 wrote:No change here.

Would someone who has been accepted give some clarity on deposit due dates? It seems like there has been a lull in acceptances for the last week or so, and I'm trying to figure out when the next batch might be coming out.

I wonder how many more rounds they have left before they just put the remaining applicants on the waitlist.

If SMU accepts me I am definitely going to enroll there. Anyone here that is still waiting for a decision (and not waitlisted) send an LOCI yet?

- ED Deposit #1: $100, postmarked by April 1 (in my admission letter)
- RD Deposit #1: $100, postmarked by April 15 (from what I've heard)
- All Deposit #2: $300, postmarked by June 1 (in my admission letter)



Nice summary. We should all have major movement this time next week after the final RD deposits arrive.



How long do y'all thing it will be after final RD deposits are in? Oh dear...this stresses me out.

User avatar
eamonbriggs08
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:09 pm

masondixon wrote:
How long do y'all thing it will be after final RD deposits are in? Oh dear...this stresses me out.


My guess is that they will give one full week for deposits to arrive (next Wednesday), and then make their final acceptances/rejections/etc that Friday or following Monday. Regardless, I believe they will make it in time to satisfy their 'end of April' expectation.

User avatar
BigAristotle
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby BigAristotle » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:18 pm

I think about a week makes sense; because I believe the 15th was just the postmark date of it. And historically, SMU sends out a batch of acceptances in the first week of April or so; then another batch at the end, and everyone else gets waitlisted.

User avatar
sapereaude2012
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:11 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby sapereaude2012 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:49 pm

BigAristotle wrote:I think about a week makes sense; because I believe the 15th was just the postmark date of it. And historically, SMU sends out a batch of acceptances in the first week of April or so; then another batch at the end, and everyone else gets waitlisted.


So have all of you still waiting deposited at other schools?

User avatar
BigAristotle
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby BigAristotle » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:45 pm

Yes, I deposited at U of H. Didn't really have an option; even though they don't have ANY financial aid to me yet.

gator08
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:06 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby gator08 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:14 pm

Can anybody tell me if I'm screwed by ths statement:

Your current status has changed to "Held for Further Review." Although your application has been reviewwed, we have deferred making a final decision until we are able to review at least some of the regular decision applications. Your file will go through another review cycle later this Spring and you will be notified of a final decision by the end of April. We are unable to release decisions by phone or email. All final decisions will be mailed.

It's like I got waitlisted but I wasn't.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests