Anybody heard back from SMU?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
masondixon

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby masondixon » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:19 pm

OasisFan wrote:
sarfk82 wrote:+1 today. Phone call.

Did your online status say "Decision Rendered"? Mine still hasn't been updated since 01/29/09 and it says "Held for further review"

I'm still showing the same. Complete since September too. Any advice besides sucking it up and waiting?

tennisgirl87

Postby tennisgirl87 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:49 pm

has anyone been to an admitted student day yet? i am pretty sure i am going to the admitted student day this Friday, but I wasn't sure what to wear. It says the dress is casual so is it okay to wear jeans? Just wondering if anyone has been to one yet... and if so, what is considered appropriate attire. i just don't want to show up and be underdressed! thanks for any insight. and good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear!

joonix

Postby joonix » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:13 pm

I've been complete for 2.5 months now, haven't heard anything. Ridiculous.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:33 pm

joonix wrote:I've been complete for 2.5 months now, haven't heard anything. Ridiculous.

I can relate ... I had been planning on attending the ASD given that I currently live in Dallas, but as my application has been oustanding since November, I will be attending another ASD. I am having a very hard time selling myself on SMU and not being able to attend the ASD certainly does not help!

smiley26

Postby smiley26 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:20 pm

I don't have high enough numbers to be YP case by any stretch of the imagination...but should I email SMU and tell them I am serious about attending because I want to move back home to Dallas? Overkill? Why are they taking so long?

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:12 pm

smiley26 wrote:I don't have high enough numbers to be YP case by any stretch of the imagination...but should I email SMU and tell them I am serious about attending because I want to move back home to Dallas? Overkill? Why are they taking so long?

You might as well ... your numbers fit pretty well into SMU's overall profile. It couldn't hurt. If you are very serious about attending SMU and would do so if offered admissions, tell them about it.

jadedV

Postby jadedV » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:36 pm

tennisgirl87 wrote:has anyone been to an admitted student day yet? i am pretty sure i am going to the admitted student day this Friday, but I wasn't sure what to wear. It says the dress is casual so is it okay to wear jeans? Just wondering if anyone has been to one yet... and if so, what is considered appropriate attire. i just don't want to show up and be underdressed! thanks for any insight. and good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear!

I'll be there too!!
When I went to Wash U's ASD, I dressed business casual... some people did the same, but the majority of people were in jeans. I haven't decided what I want to wear yet for friday... I'll most likely stick with the business casual or jeans on the dressy side.

Alison585

Postby Alison585 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:40 am

Hello-I was accepted into the PT program at SMU. I work full time now (40+ hours a week). I can't imagine working full time and then going to school at night.

I wanted to see for those that were accepted into the part time program are you guys planning to work at your current full time jobs? Or are you thinking of not working at all the first year? Or possibly getting a part time job (15-20 hours a week)?

Thanks!

smiley26

Postby smiley26 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:51 pm

:?: :| :arrow: :x :arrow: :arrow: :cry:

bcb1986

Postby bcb1986 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:59 pm

How was the ASD today? Anyone go?

lsatismybitchlover

Postby lsatismybitchlover » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:02 pm

Just got a 24K/year scholarship...nice...

OasisFan

Postby OasisFan » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:35 pm

betasteve wrote:
bcb1986 wrote:How was the ASD today? Anyone go?

+1 - interested to hear as well.

likewise

any did anyone hear back from SMU today?

tennisgirl87

Postby tennisgirl87 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:28 pm

I went to ASD. It was really beneficial since I had not had a chance to tour the law school yet. I got there at 8:30 and they had breakfast waiting for us. We ate breakfast and mingled with other prospective student and some current law students. Then, there was a short tour of the law school and we had a chance to sit in on a contracts class. The professor was really nice, and it didn't seem too bad at all. Then, we went to a room where we heard a representative from the financial aid department, career services, and current students speak in an open forum style. Basically, all of the prospective students had the floor to ask whatever questions they had. After the panel, they served us a really good lunch catered by the namburger man and we were free to go. I had a really good time and met a lot of nice people. I'd recommend going, especially if you haven't had a chance to see the school at all yet. Hope that helps some of you all

ndclass08

Postby ndclass08 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:43 pm

Does anyone know to whom I should send a loci at smu? im thinking "Maggie Froneberger
Admissions Counselor"

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:49 pm

Yes, I believe that Maggie would be the best person to initially contact ... if history repeats itself, I have a feeling that quite a few decisions will go out during the middle of this week ... we shall see ...

FingersCrossed0220

Postby FingersCrossed0220 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:52 pm

I spoke with Maggie and she was very helpful!

OK this might be a stupid question, but WHAT is a "LORI"? I know it's a letter of....???what???

Thanks!

DallasJosh

Postby DallasJosh » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:26 am

FingersCrossed0220 wrote:I spoke with Maggie and she was very helpful!

OK this might be a stupid question, but WHAT is a "LORI"? I know it's a letter of....???what???

Thanks!

Should be LOCI - Letter of Continued Interest. It's something you can write up and send to a school to let them know you are truly serious about attending their program if accepted. Sometimes it can make all the difference in the world in an acceptance or a rejection - especially if they think you applied to multiple schools and the chances of you attending their school are slim. Kind of like a reminder that you are still serious about them and haven't moved on...

Rachyk

Postby Rachyk » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:59 am

On the topic of a LOCI, how long is the right amount of time to wait until you send one? I went complete 1/22 but SMU is by far my top choice. I also applied for both the full time and part time program, however I am MUCH more interested in the full-time program. Is it too soon to send a LOCI?

OasisFan

Postby OasisFan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:37 pm

Should those of us who didn't hear back just assume we're rejected/waitlisted??

My status still says "Held For Further Review" 01/29/09

BigAristotle

Postby BigAristotle » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:59 pm

SMU's Deposit Deadline is 4/1, so they could be waiting to see how many seats fill up, then start sending out other acceptances before sending people to a waitlist/rejection.

BigAristotle

Postby BigAristotle » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:54 pm

Have any deferred Early Action applicants heard anything?

masondixon

Postby masondixon » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:02 pm

Not I. Been complete since September, deferred in January and still nothing. This is getting old.

BigAristotle

Postby BigAristotle » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:19 pm

I'm heading down next week for an interview to see if I can weasel (or BetaSteve) myself in.

That's right, I just made you a verb.

bcb1986

Postby bcb1986 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:12 pm

Mailed my deposit today!
And, I withdrew from Boulder, Denver, TX Tech, Baylor, Houston, and Maryland. I want to practice in Texas or DC, so some the CO schools didn't make sense. Visited MD and didn't like the school-it's great and all, just not a good fit for me.

I got W/L at W&M, but I can't decide if I'm going to stay on it. I'm ready to make a decision and get ready for law school. I'm so over this whole process.

jadedV

Postby jadedV » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:00 pm

bcb1986 wrote:Mailed my deposit today!
And, I withdrew from Boulder, Denver, TX Tech, Baylor, Houston, and Maryland. I want to practice in Texas or DC, so some the CO schools didn't make sense. Visited MD and didn't like the school-it's great and all, just not a good fit for me.

I got W/L at W&M, but I can't decide if I'm going to stay on it. I'm ready to make a decision and get ready for law school. I'm so over this whole process.

Congrats!! Hopefully I will do the same at the end of this week.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”