Anybody heard back from SMU? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bcb1986

New

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Post by bcb1986 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:17 pm

OasisFan wrote:I have a question to those of you who were accepted!

Did you guys ever "take a guided tour" of the campus or anything of that nature? and If so, do you guys feel like it may have helped you get admitted??? I've already visited the school a few times for random things but never officially for a tour by the law school itself, and I wanna know if it is something useful.
Yes and yes.

jaxon05

New

Post by jaxon05 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:35 pm

chadwick218 wrote:I applied to SMU on 11/15/08 (3.95/170). As of today (3/6/09), I have still not received any indicatintion of acceptance / rejection. At this point, I have strongly considered withdrawing my application, but I figure that since I paid the $70 some odd dollars to apply, I might as well find out the results anyways.

Prior to the start of my cycle, I was strongly considering SMU, but needless to say, I am incredibly down on SMU. I honestly believe that out of all of the 20 schools that I applied to SMU is the only school not to send letters / packets / etc. Furthermore, when I met with the reps at the law school forum in houston, they seemed incredibly disinterested when compared to most schools in attendance. In fact, I even remember two of the reps leave the forum at 3PM when the forum was scheduled to last until 4PM.

Unless SMU steps forward with some serious money, they can count on my numbers not matriculating into their 2009 profile (assuming, of course, that I am even admitted).
That sounds very odd. Have you contacted them about this? I applied 1/10 and was admitted a couple of weeks ago. I visited the other day and they could not have been more welcoming and friendly. Your numbers are ridiculously auto-admit. I would call the office to find out what's up.

nukelaloosh

New

Post by nukelaloosh » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:09 am

chadwick218 wrote:I applied to SMU on 11/15/08 (3.95/170). As of today (3/6/09), I have still not received any indicatintion of acceptance / rejection. At this point, I have strongly considered withdrawing my application, but I figure that since I paid the $70 some odd dollars to apply, I might as well find out the results anyways.

Prior to the start of my cycle, I was strongly considering SMU, but needless to say, I am incredibly down on SMU. I honestly believe that out of all of the 20 schools that I applied to SMU is the only school not to send letters / packets / etc. Furthermore, when I met with the reps at the law school forum in houston, they seemed incredibly disinterested when compared to most schools in attendance. In fact, I even remember two of the reps leave the forum at 3PM when the forum was scheduled to last until 4PM.

Unless SMU steps forward with some serious money, they can count on my numbers not matriculating into their 2009 profile (assuming, of course, that I am even admitted).
I've had to call to verify my acceptance and scholarship. Neither were mailed to me until I called. Their admissions office seems to be a little disorganized.

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:39 am

I received the HS letter yesterday, as well. Scared the crap outta me because I thought they would call to set up interview dates, times, etc. I figured the thin white envelope was just to thank me for my application and to let me know they weren't interested. Talk about your pleasant surprises!

smiley26

New

Post by smiley26 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:41 am

DallasJosh wrote:I received the HS letter yesterday, as well. Scared the crap outta me because I thought they would call to set up interview dates, times, etc. I figured the thin white envelope was just to thank me for my application and to let me know they weren't interested. Talk about your pleasant surprises!
"HS" letter?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:37 am

smiley26 wrote:
DallasJosh wrote:I received the HS letter yesterday, as well. Scared the crap outta me because I thought they would call to set up interview dates, times, etc. I figured the thin white envelope was just to thank me for my application and to let me know they weren't interested. Talk about your pleasant surprises!
"HS" letter?
Hatton Sumners Scholarship.

cachua

New

Post by cachua » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:00 pm

has anyone who got accepted the 2nd round... sometime mid february maybe? got scholarship info yet? i'm patiently waiting but am getting a tiny little bit anxious.

jaxon05

New

Post by jaxon05 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:48 pm

cachua wrote:has anyone who got accepted the 2nd round... sometime mid february maybe? got scholarship info yet? i'm patiently waiting but am getting a tiny little bit anxious.
I was told last week that we should expect to hear this week. "Hopefully by the middle of this week" was the exact quote.

DMNeece

New

Post by DMNeece » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:08 pm

Is the status check still down for yall as well?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

smiley26

New

Post by smiley26 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:07 am

betasteve wrote:
DMNeece wrote:Is the status check still down for yall as well?
I just checked it and saw a page not found error.
now the page has disappeared all together...

DallasMustang

New

Post by DallasMustang » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:15 am

I've been away for spring break, so I was unaware, but got the call today about HS. She was under the assumption that I had received the letter in the mail, so she was a bit surprised at my enthusiasm. She said there were 21 finalists. What was the restaurant she got our order for?

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:41 am

yeah what is the deal with the status checker? anyone hear anything?

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:27 pm

Looks like status checker is back up. How many of y'all are still "held for further review"? I've been complete since September, status changed in Jan, and still have not heard any updates. Beginning to get a bit stressed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:52 pm

masondixon wrote:Looks like status checker is back up. How many of y'all are still "held for further review"? I've been complete since September, status changed in Jan, and still have not heard any updates. Beginning to get a bit stressed.
+1 i've been Held for further review since 01/29/09 and even retook the feb LSAT with a higher score, and still not a peep. I applied FT & PT and SMU is far and away my top choice :x

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:20 pm

OasisFan wrote:
masondixon wrote:Looks like status checker is back up. How many of y'all are still "held for further review"? I've been complete since September, status changed in Jan, and still have not heard any updates. Beginning to get a bit stressed.
+1 i've been Held for further review since 01/29/09 and even retook the feb LSAT with a higher score, and still not a peep. I applied FT & PT and SMU is far and away my top choice :x

See I only applied FT...I'm wondering if I should call and change to both FT and PT. SMU is also by far my top choice. I've been checking LSN and their acceptances aren't all that high above my number. I wonder what's going on?!

smiley26

New

Post by smiley26 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:42 am

so its the middle of the week...

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:36 pm

On LSN Last year it looked like some people got notified from March 13-15 so hopefully if this year shapes up like last year maybe we'll hear something by the end of the week? I won't hold my breath. Why won't SMU Show me any love!? :roll: :roll:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thucydides

New

Post by thucydides » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:00 pm

I called SMU to schedule a tour for next week and they asked me if I would like to meet with someone from admissions (uh, YES!). Has anyone else had this happen? I was wondering if it's because my numbers are somewhat borderline (162/3.5). I really hope it helps, as I would be at SMU this fall if I am accepted!

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:39 pm

thucydides wrote:I called SMU to schedule a tour for next week and they asked me if I would like to meet with someone from admissions (uh, YES!). Has anyone else had this happen? I was wondering if it's because my numbers are somewhat borderline (162/3.5). I really hope it helps, as I would be at SMU this fall if I am accepted!
+1 I am also interested in this...I have been hesitant to schedule a tour because i've already visited SMU's campus a million times. I'd like to go once and try to get good with them.

jaxon05

New

Post by jaxon05 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:42 pm

Scholarship letters are being mailed today. Someone in admissions confirmed this on the phone this morning.

cachua

New

Post by cachua » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:35 pm

thanks jaxon05. you are so on top of things! here's to hoping for some money!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pastorjohn27

New

Post by pastorjohn27 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:40 pm

Does anyone know if the SMU scholarships have any binding deadline for when you must accept it and withdraw from other schools?

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:37 pm

soooooooooo um...has anyone heard from these guys recently? being held for further review absolutely sucks

DMNeece

New

Post by DMNeece » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:05 pm

Has anyone tried calling to see whats taking so long?

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:36 pm

OasisFan wrote:soooooooooo um...has anyone heard from these guys recently? being held for further review absolutely sucks
not i. been complete since september and held since 1/29. im hoping to come back from spring break and have a packet waiting. fingers crossed. :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”